Barratt Construction

Founded 2004 • With Angi since December 2008

Award-Winning full-service contractor specializing in adding usable square footage and value to your home. Additional email - peter@barrattconstruction.com. Additional address - 10411 Burnt Ember Drive, Silver Spring MD 20903.

home remodeling (37)basement remodeling (19)patio enclosures (3)plumbers (29)drywall (25)window replacement (21)flooring (21)structural engineering (20)door installation (17)electrician (17)decks & porches (16)tile installation (16)

12/03/2019

Alexandra S.

My husband and I live in over 100 year old rowhome. The basement was unfinished and also riddled with asbestos and lead pipes. We decided to roll that remediation into a full basement remodel and chose to go with Barratt Construction to do so. I could not be happier with the experience, the work they did, or the final product! The estimate process was quick and clear. At every step, Peter & David were available immediately by text and phone if any questions or issues arose. The are honest, communicative, and cared deeply about the quality of the final construction. The workmen were skilled, courteous, and efficient. The project -- which involved remediation, excavating 8 inches to get a normal-height basement ceiling, & the interior construction of a family room, laundry room, bedroom, several large closets, and a closed storage area. Despite the huge scope of the project, they finished earlier than estimated. We will absolutely work with them again for any renovation!

Description of Work
Full basement excavation and remodel

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, egress windows, excavators, flooring contractor, heating & air conditioning/hvac, insulation, lighting, masonry, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, basement waterproofing, drain pipe, interior painters, doors, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 04/01/2019

10/23/2019

Katie S.

I am an architect in Washington DC and after drawing the plans for a full remodel and renovation of the kitchen in my 1906 rowhouse, I contracted Barratt Construction to do the work. Peter and David were extremely professional and easy to work with, and were able to complete the project for us in a very timely manner (which was very important to us). Not to mention they executed the work beautifully. They were easy to communicate with throughout the project and were helpful in offering suggestions to us on where we could improve the project as we uncovered a couple unanticipated existing conditions. Overall I had a great experience working with Peter and David and I would highly recommend Barratt Construction Services for home renovations and builds. I will use them again for future projects.

Description of Work
Full Kitchen Remodel

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 12/12/2018

08/24/2019

Liesl H.

Peter, David, and their crew were amazing to work with. They gave us sound advice, did beautiful work and were very helpful and positive people to work with. We would hire them again in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
Basement remodel and siding replacement

Category concrete repair, drywall, egress windows, flooring contractor, gutter repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows, basement waterproofing, fireplaces, skylights, drain pipe, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, doors, mudjacking, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 04/01/2019

Review for Barratt Construction - PO Box 60463, Washington, DC - 38065893

06/26/2019

Jason S.

Barratt Construction exceeded all of our expectations. From project planning to the final product, the Barratt team served as a partner. It took us over a year to push the button on our four month, move out renovation. They showed remarkable perseverance and most importantly, they listened to us when we finally pushed the button. Peter and David never attempted to upsell us on any products or services. They respected our vision and our budget. We served as our own designers so we most appreciated their endless well of patience as we sought their guidance on many decisions ranging from door hinges to tile. The project was completed on time and within our budget. The greatest praise you can give a contracting team is to say we miss them. And we do. We would highly recommend partnering with Barratt.

Description of Work
Gut Second floor

Category contractors, ceramic tile, drywall, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

Work Completed On 06/26/2019

08/08/2018

Joseph D.

They could not even bother to respond to inquires regarding an estimate.

Description of Work
Masonry work

Category masonry, remodeling

Work Completed On 08/02/2018

01/09/2018

Ana G.

I called ,left messages & they never returned the call.

Description of Work
gutter construction

Category gutter repair, remodeling

Work Completed On 01/09/2018

11/01/2017

lisa B.

Barratt Construction were professional, courteous and finished the work ahead of schedule. They were very accommodating to our needs and the end result of the new kitchen was amazing. All of our friends comment on how beautiful and modern it looks and I have referred many people because of the quality work they performed.

Description of Work
Kitchen renovation

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 11/01/2017

Maurice L.

Barratt did high quality work and did it on schedule. They handled all of the excavation, concrete, framing, roofing, plumbing, electrical, and finish work. They have been immediately responsive in dealing with a few minor issues (faulty new circuit breaker, downspout problem) that arose after completion. Peter and David are a pleasure to work with, as is their terrific crew. We are very happy with the completed project.

Description of Work
Construction of a 3 story addition on the back of our townhouse, including new kitchen, breakfast room and powder room on the main floor, enlarged bedroom on the second floor, and new laundry room and office area in the basement.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, concrete repair, decks, drywall, electrician, egress windows, excavators, picture framing, gutter repair, hardwood floor, insulation, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows, basement waterproofing, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Ian C.

Good! it was a big job and overall we were happy with their services. Some of the subs were better than others in terms of quality of work/attention to detail/finishing/clean up, so had to point out when something needed to be re-done. Similarly we had to pay close attention to workflow/ timelines and check in to keep our job priority in their queue. So, we give them a B since we had to be more active participants than we wanted but that is prob to be expected.

Description of Work
full house renovation

David V.

Peter and his team did exceptional work. They put us at ease when doing the structural work (since they tackle much larger structural projects) but they were very good with attention to detail on the kitchen too. They were responsive to my requests and continue to stand behind their work (even visiting over a year later to fix a cabinet door hinge). Peter was also willing to fix issues that were not his fault. For example, the kitchen designer missed on some of her measurements, leaving the refrigerator door to hit the counter when opened. Peter, at no additional charge, moved the set of cabinets and refrigerator over 3-5 inches to make everything work. They were very reasonable on the price of the project and there were no surprises along the way. We asked for additional work in other parts of the house and Peter did them without upcharging. He gave us a reasonable quote and did the work. He even underestimated the cost of one of the projects and refused to pass on the cost to me. I’d highly recommend Barratt Construction and would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I had a major renovation of my kitchen. We had to knock out a load bearing wall and gut everything else. It was a big job and we spoke to lots of companies before hiring Barratt Construction.

Dina C.

From the first day we met Peter and David to discuss our project, they demonstrated an outstanding professional understanding, attitude and work ethic which all culminated in a job superbly completed with high quality and on time. Throughout the course of the project, they were periodically sending updates on progress wile troubleshooting and delivering according to plan. Always accessible by text, email and when needed, in person to explain and go over some needed adjustments. Very pleasant team to work wit.

Description of Work
Our project was a major project that included kitchen and bathroom remodeling, deck construction, window and roof replacement and all electrical and other work associated with that.

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, remodeling, home remodeling, patios

10/30/2017

Teddy J.

All went really, really well. David & Peter did a fantastic job, their crew was professional and focused and I was really happy with simply everything. In the past, the remodel jobs I had done, the finish work was kind of junky. I learned that finishings are really the major part of a job. Anyone can knock down a wall. I always admired houses where you can look around you and see quality and how precise and clean the job is. I never had that experience until now. It just looks so nice. It's a joy to walk into the house with the confidence that everything was done right. So happy with everything. Everyone who sees my house loves-loves-loves it. Was the project problem free? Heck no. Expect problems. The most important thing I learned over decades of remodeling is how does the contractor respond to those problems, can I communicate concerns/ideas and will the contractor receive it well and respect where I'm coming from. David and Peter addressed all of the issues that came up promptly and they respected my input. This was a major project for me. It wasn't cheap, but it was well done and I have not had any problems whatsoever since they finished. I am just so glad it was not a situation like it was in the past for me where you have profound issues with your contractor by the end of the job. It was a great experience and I could not recommend them highly enough!

Description of Work
Added an addition to the house, structural, seven new baths, new kitchen, basically gutted the entire house. New plumbing, new electrical, new everything! :)

Category concrete repair, decks, drywall, electrician, egress windows, excavators, fencing, picture framing, glass repair, gutter repair, hardwood floor, heating & air conditioning/hvac, insulation, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows, basement waterproofing, structural engineer, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 10/30/2017

Review for Barratt Construction - PO Box 60463, Washington, DC - 36497978

10/22/2017

dandm R.

There simply aren't enough superlatives to describe these fellows' work ethic, attention to detail, assessment and amelioration of construction risks, and completion of work to meet the owner's expectations. You definitely can find cheaper contractors. But if you'd doing anything more than demolition and reframing / refinishing -- such as significant structural work -- then you would be foolish to save a buck and have your side walls collapse if your contractor doesn't really know what he's doing. These guys have done it all and bring decades of experience to a project. Both are master craftsmen in their respective areas; they have a totally transparent bidding process and ensure the owner knows exactly what they will do (and won't do -- important!); and they see the project through to completion. Any time I have a project, and can get into they work schedule, I will *always* invite them to do work for me. Hands down.

Description of Work
Major projects: (1) rebuild of front porch -- supported existing porch ceiling / roofing, tear-out of existing framed porch and rebuild, including concrete front stairway and masonry side retaining walls (2) basement dig-out, new foundation underpinnings, new central water and sewer and waste plumbing installation, new integrated sump drainage system, new floor slab and complete refinish of basement into luxury apartment

Category concrete repair, decks, basement waterproofing, home remodeling, foundation repair, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 11/20/2012

Review for Barratt Construction - PO Box 60463, Washington, DC - 36454958

04/18/2016

Donald K.

The project took about 3 months and the team was very easy to work with. We didn't have an architect and were adjusting things as we went along. They were very cool with that and offered suggestions that were helpful. The finished project came out really well. While I'm sure they would work fine under the guidance of an architect or designer, I can definitely recommend them to anyone who has a largish project and likes the flexibility of waiting to see how things look at each stage before finalizing the next steps.

Description of Work
Complete remodel of lower level of my house. This including: gutting two rooms and taking out interior walls; rebuilding the rooms with a new configuration; installing a new wet bar; replacing old plumbing and electrical; installing new floor; insulating and painting.

Category flooring contractor, plumbing, remodeling, architect

Work Completed On 03/28/2016

01/10/2016

Christine T.

Bob's price was the highest of the three contractors we contacted but he also provided the most thorough estimate so there were few surprises (except the water heater, which just happened to break) on the job. We had other contractors do the counter and cabinet members install and he was very flexible about working around the other contractors. We also appreciated that he was very responsive to emails and personally on the job doing QA/QC on the subs and his employees.

Description of Work
Kitchen and wall demo; installed new structural beam; drywall; floor repair; gas line, electrical and emergency water heater replacement.

Category drywall, flooring contractor, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 07/06/2015

11/21/2015

BEN D.

The company performed the job pretty much on budget. Because they do a lot of jobs, they were able to give us good deals on windows and tile from their warehouse. The company works with some excellent people who built a custom-made, built-in book shelf. They also have an excellent iron worker who built our custom Ipe wood desk. What I liked best was that they are very conscious of design and when some of the work needed fixing - the gutters needed to be rerouted and a piece of siding was ripped out because the telephone lines attached were a little low and therefore were pulled down by a large truck - they honored their work and made repairs or replaced it.

Description of Work
remodeled addition, added master bath/laundry

Category ceramic tile, gutter repair, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling

Work Completed On 06/01/2011

10/03/2015

Jeffrey M.

Barratt did an outstanding job. The extension work was a bit more complicated than anticipated due to age/structural issues with the home. Each time they hit an obstacle or challenge, they were straightforward with us in explanation and worked out a structurally sound (always the priority) and fair (price-wise given their original estimates) solution. Throughout the project, we were always confident in Barratt's judgment about the important issues: the safety and security of the structural work they were doing, and their ability to deliver to us their clear assessment of how to proceed. They also have a good sense of aesthetics and value for price and thus we counted on them to weigh in as we made purchasing decisions on fixtures, flooring, etc. Their crew was hard-working and led by a foreman who paid exquisite attention to detail and clearly had the respect of the rest of the team, and treated the home as if it was his own. We are pleased with the decision we made to go with Barratt Construction and would happily recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Executed 6' by 24' extension of walk out basement and back end of first floor of 1930s era home; constructed new staircase at back of house into new ground floor/basement; dug out basement 18" and reconfigured ductwork to create 8'+ ceilings in new ground floor, completely renovated basement area adding new full bathroom (tiled), new laundry room, adaptable bedroom/family room, wet bar, wine fridge and additional storage area. On first floor, extended dining room and expanded entryways from kitchen and living room into dining room, opening entire floor; also built back deck entered from dining room sliding doors.

Category ceramic tile, decks, excavators, flooring contractor, heating & air conditioning/hvac, remodeling, home remodeling, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 09/22/2015

06/02/2015

Todd C.

Barratt was a dream of a general contractor. They were able to provide accurate information, consistent schedules, and a very clean work environment. They worked with my unusual schedule to make the place look fantastic. They were consistent and cautionary when appropriate. From a pricing standpoint, they were not the cheapest or most expensive but in construction, I have had horrible experiences with the bottom dollar bids.

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 05/01/2015

05/04/2015

Marta M.

I would recommend Barratt to anyone who values quality and will definitely contact them again in the future.

Description of Work
The provider provided me with a quote and was extremely professional and knowledgeable.

Work Completed On 02/01/2014

03/31/2015

Vincent L.

There was significant water damage and one of the two beams was completely rotted. The other was starting to wrap. Peter was able to repair the beam quickly. We were very fortunate since our townhouse was on the verge of toppling over.

Description of Work
Fixed the beam of a 3 story townhouse.

Category remodeling, water damage restoration

Work Completed On 11/15/2012

03/16/2015

Bert D.

My wife and I were very pleased with the renovations by Barratt Construction. Their work is high quality, the crew is hard-working, and Peter and David are very knowledgeable. We had purchased a row house in DC originally built in 1913 that had been through some poorly-done renovations over the years. We sought bids from seven different contractors, all had A or good reviews on Angie's List's but we quickly saw a difference just by the type of questions they asked and how they calculated estimated costs. The scope of work included exposing a brick wall; installing new hardwood floors; tearing down a load-bearing wall and non-load-bearing wall to open up the kitchen and dining/living room areas; re-doing some of the kitchen layout; re-framing the wooden addition to our house (in which our kitchen and, on the second floor, our bedroom is); creating a coat-closet; relocating outlets, etc. The work involved electrical work, plumbing, HVAC, and carpentry. While their quote was not the lowest, it was not the highest either. Through the home visit, we felt comfortable with both Peter and David and appreciated that they were not prepared to stick a price tag on work without understanding the details. For instance, we had a load-bearing wall we wanted to remove. We had quotes all over the ballpark. While everyone told us that the wall would have to be replaced by a support beam, one gave us a quote of $3,000 and another estimated that it would be $15,000. Barratt, on the other hand, told us that they could not provide a quote until we opened a small portion of the wall and an architect could determine the best way forward. We used their recommended architect who was also very professional and paid 2 different visits to our home to get a better understanding of how the addition to the house was constructed. The renovations lasted for six weeks, as Barratt had estimated. Their crew was fantastic: very friendly and hard-working. We ended up using a different, cheaper contractor to do some easier jobs on our second floor such as painting, installing laminate flooring and creating a closet. We definitely noticed a difference in the quality of the work.We're now getting ready to do a complete overhaul of our master bathroom and as such, went back to Barratt Construction to get their estimates.

Description of Work
The scope of work included: exposing a brick wall; installing new hardwood floors; tearing down a load-bearing wall and non-load-bearing wall to open up the kitchen and dining/living room areas; re-doing some of the kitchen layout; creating a coat-closet; re-framing the wooden addition to our house (in which our kitchen and, on the second floor, our bedroom is); relocating outlets, replacing radiators, etc.. The work involved electrical work, plumbing, HVAC, and carpentry.

Category contractors, electrician, flooring contractor, hardwood floor, heating & air conditioning/hvac, masonry, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, architect, home remodeling

Work Completed On 06/02/2014

03/09/2015

Julie M.

We have always had great experiences working with Peter and David. They do great work, they complete it on time, and they're always willing to work with us to find a way to accomplish what we want within a reasonable price range. We would absolutely use them again, and we have recommended them to friends.

Description of Work
Barratt Construction has done several projects at our house over the past few years - bathroom remodels, new roof/siding, basement remodel.

Category remodeling, roofing, home remodeling, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 03/07/2015