Upton, Inc. Landscape & Construction

Founded 1999 • With Angi since October 2007

4.4

190 Front Ave

West Haven, CT 06516

We are a full service landscape/hardscape design, install, and maintenance company with more than 20 years experience in our craft. We provide a minimum 3-year warranty on hardscape/poolscape/paving stones/masonry/concrete/asphalt/base installation (walkways, patios, fire pits, driveways, steps,

06/21/2018

Caroline F.

I could not be happier with my choice. Shawn was professional, friendly, and knowlegable from first contact. He was not the cheapest nor the most expensive estimate I received to complete the work. His quote included more than the cheaper and more expensive estimates I had received. Once hired he began immediately and removed the trees from the house in the first day. It took a little time to complete the job but his concern was the ruin of a lawn in pristine condition. He waited for the ground to dry before starting the portion of the work that required heavy equipment. The lot is also on a very steep downward angle . I feel that he completed the job in a timely manner considering that the weather continued to work against him. Upon finishing he left the property in excellent condition. He removed the 7 foot diameter root ball as well so one would never know the wreck it all had been . The only tell tale sign is where he graded, seeded, and fertilized the portion on the yard where the trees had fallen and gouged the ground.

Description of Work
Two huge trees removed that fell on the house during the May 2018 storm

Category lawn service, tree service

09/08/2015

Avis P.

It went very well, It was scheduled immediately when I requested it, The tree was removed and everything cleaned up within a couple of hours. I have used Upton, Inc, for all my landscaping needs for five years on several properties and am always pleased,

Description of Work
Tree removal

Category landscaping, tree service, hardscaping

09/06/2015

Pilar L.

The provider sent me a message via Angie's list in response to a request, and said they would show up the next day at the property to give a quote for yard maintenance, clean ups, etc. However, they did not show up and they did not reply to two more messages.

Description of Work
Nothing

Category lawn service, hardscaping

08/03/2015

Elizabeth S.

The guys showed up a day later than I was told. Things came up, fine, but this was not communicated until I contacted them about no one showing up. They showed up and did a good job, and I was told that they would be back in 2 weeks (as I had initially stated that I wanted a bi-weekly mowing). They never showed up again, and even after I sent an email asking if they were coming back (as indicated by the crew that was here) I haven't heard anything from them. This is really sad because they did a good job, just unreliable scheduling and unresponsive communication. The one good thing is that they have not charged me for the 1 mow, which is fair considering how they blew me off. Update - The showed up the day after I initially posted my review and mowed the lawn (the job they do is good). Still waiting to hear back from them on a question.

Description of Work
The provider mowed my lawn.

Category lawn service, hardscaping

04/30/2015

Sandy F.

The place looked amazing. They even cleaned out the gutters. Highly recommend. They specialize in larger landscaping projects, and we were not able to move forward with a larger proposal, but we will as soon as it is within our budget.

Description of Work
LEAF CLEAN-UP: REMOVE LEAVES FROM ALL AREAS OF PROPERTY (INCLUDING BEHIND GARAGE, ALONG BOTH SIDES OF PROPERTY LINE, ON STREET SIDE COST NOT TO EXCEED BELOW PRICE. FINAL COST MAY BE LESS. GENERAL CLEAN UP, REMOVE DEBRIS. 2 MEN, 3.5 HOURS IF LESS TIME IS REQUIRED A CREDIT WILL APPLY. $315 COST TO DUMP MATERIALS OFF-SITE (LEAVES, DEBRIS) $15 +$20 tax = $350

Category gutter cleaning, lawn service, leaf removal, hardscaping

01/12/2015

Avis P.

I've been using the company for about five years, and I've always had good experiences. I can really trust them to do good work consistently, they're very communicative about what's going on at each property, and their prices seem reasonable.

Description of Work
They take care of the landscaping at my rental properties.

Category landscaping, lawn service

12/03/2014

Helen C.

This project went beautifully and we are so thrilled with the results. My husband and I had tried to make the stone pathway ourselves and it didn't turn out so well (we gave it our best!). What we have now is totally different-- an absolutely beautiful, properly laid and created path. I cannot emphasize adequately how courteous, professional, thoughtful, and thorough Shawn and his staff are. Shawn is very knowledgeable (in a soft-spoken way) about all aspects of landscape design. After my first meeting with him-- we walked through the yard and talked about what my husband and I wanted to do, totally non-rushed-- he provided a detailed, itemized estimate of the work. When we decided to go ahead with the work, he promptly emailed me a contract that was similarly detailed and professional. He listens carefully and also offers good ideas and fixes for problems-- he has a great eye. For the fence installation that we wanted to do, he referred me to a local fencing company that he works with and we had a great experience with them, too. Here is an example of how hard Shawn works for his customers: I wanted to be sure that we knew exactly where the property line was before installation of the new fence. Even though his company was not doing the fence installation, he spent a total of a good couple hours with me trying to figure out where the line was so that we wouldn't have to hire a surveyor. He actually sat in the backyard doing geometry (pulling out the sine and the cosine!) as we tried to determine the line based on a marker on the other side of the property and the property map I had gotten from city hall. In the end there was still a discrepancy that we couldn't be sure about so hired a surveyor anyway, but I really appreciated his help. He was often on site as the work progressed and checked and assessed his crew's work at the end of nearly every day. We added on the project of removing the stone dust from amongst the turfstone and filling in with topsoil/grass seed-- which was hugely labor intensive-- but the crew absorbed the extra work and Shawn kept me abreast of the cost changes. The only not totally positive thing I can add is that Shawn sometimes runs late. But he always calls to say that he is running late and, in my experience, it is because he is taking the time and care with his other customers that he will take with you. We will absolutely call Upton Landscape and Construction for any future projects.

Description of Work
Created a flagstone walkway along the side of our house and stone pathway through our backyard (both of which required some excavation and a lot of regrading). Created garden beds along pathway. Pruned shrubbery. Re-leveled our turfstone paver parking area that had gotten messed up by a Regional Water Authority repair. Removed stone dust from turfstone spaces then refilled with topsoil and seeded with grass seed. Removed old fencing and fence posts, leveled ground, and helped coordinate installation of new cedar fence along one side of property.

Category excavators, fencing, landscaping, masonry, mulch, hardscaping

06/23/2014

Kathleen T.

Company never returned my call or showed up.

Description of Work
Attempted to scheduled an estimate for the company to come out and look at my driveway.

Category concrete driveways, landscaping, driveway pavers

06/04/2014

Deborah D.

Excellent. Extremely professional, competitive/fair price. Did more than expected (pulled out tree stump, re-seeded, etc.). All work was completed in amount of time stated on contract. Left property in excellent condition. Will highly recommend to family and friends.

Description of Work
Installed window wells, curtain drains, leveled property for better drainage, etc.

11/30/2013

Carly B.

I contacted Shawn about providing a quote for the repair and reconstruction of the driveway on our new home. After scheduling our first appointment, Shawn actually did not show up at the agreed upon time, nor did he call to let me know he needed to cancel. This was very frustrating, but he called me a few days later and then did honor another appointment we had made. He was very professional and did a nice job explaining to me what would be involved in the process, and he provided a quote by email within 24 hours. The price was reasonable and comparable to other quotes we had received.

Description of Work
Shawn provided an estimate for repair of our driveway.

Category concrete driveways, driveway pavers

Hi (removed member name)- I apologize for not contacting you to cancel. If you were willing, I can be available at your convenience, to view the project and provide a prompt estimate. Best, Shawn

08/09/2013

jim F.

Shawn responded within 24 hours of my initial email to him requesting a consultation on the work. We spoke as to what needed to be done now to prepare for the contractors, and what I would be interested in doing to the rest of the lawn upon completion of their work on the house. I plan on contacting Shawn in the coming weeks when outside renovations are completed to finish the work my lawn needs.

Description of Work
We needed to prepare our house for installation of new vinyl siding, gutters, etc, and needed to have overgrowth and tree stumps removed which were surrounding the house. The job was bigger than I anticipated, but the work was necessary and I was pleased with all that was done.

Category gutter repair, landscaping, siding

06/18/2013

Anastasia and Edward P.

The man from Upton, Inc. Landscape & Construction was very nice and super polite. The punctuality and responsiveness were excellent.

Description of Work
Upton, Inc. Landscape & Construction gave me a quote for trees we wanted down.

Category tree service

06/10/2013

Helen C.

He was very professional, knowleadgable in his field and personable. He was also forthcoming and he provided a very detailed and easy to follow transparent itemized estimate for the work .

Description of Work
He did an estimate for installing a permeable paver driveway/parking pad in front of our house. Also creating a small landscaped bed and replacing our front steps.

Category driveway pavers

05/21/2013

Jodi K.

I was very pleased with Upton's services. The owner, Shawn, is very easy to work with. The work was completed on time and the result is beautiful. I would definitely use them again and would recommend them to others.

Description of Work
They installed a patio, pulled out existing shrubs and redesigned and installed landscaping throughout my yard.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

05/12/2013

Amy K.

I called and left messages for Upton Landscaping three times and never received a return phone call. I would have appreciated a call back if only to tell me that they were to busy to work for me. Not calling back at all is unprofessional.

Description of Work
Did not perform service

Category hardscaping

Hi [member name removed]- I apologize for failing to contact you in a timely manner-I agree that it was very unprofessional; but it was not because I could not be bothered with your project. All projects have equal importance and I wish that I did respond timely, viewed your project, and provided an estimate. I have been short staffed in my office and am currently working on correcting problems associated with that. I understand that your initial experience may be enough to not want to work with us in the future but, if that's not the case, I'd be happy to view any landscape projects you may have in the future. Best, Shawn Upton

02/25/2013

Candice B.

Their price was quite a bit higher than other people. It was a thorough estimate and the company was very professional. They were very nice but their price was higher than who I selected. They responded very quickly. They were very responsive.

Description of Work
I had an estimate by Upton, Inc. Landscape & Construction but I chose somebody else. They were pricing out a new sidewalk.

Category concrete driveways

01/11/2013

William D.

Following Hurricane Sandy, Upton did a terrfic job, huge attention to detail and quality work, seemed never satisfied that "good enough was good enough".

Description of Work
Property grading/beach leveling Sidewalk replacement Driveway pavers

Category concrete driveways, landscaping, hardscaping

12/27/2012

Pamela G.

Shawn called back promptly and came to discuss the work and provided an estimate which was not entirely accurate and needed adjusting later. The work was started early, was interrupted by an early storm, 2 weeks went by without contact, and, when work resumed, it was done in spurts by different workers who all did an excellent job. Heavy equipment was left on the front lawn for weeks at a time without being used. Days and sometimes weeks went by without any work being done, sometimes due to weather and sometimes not. The suggested timeframe of 10 days to 2 weeks was probably not possible under the best of circumstances. Shawn usually called back with explanations, but he sometimes did not call back for days. Shawn did what he promised to do and the work was done very well. It was an expensive project but he was fair about the costs. Late October was not the best time to do this kind of work with weather interfering and Shawn having other obligations such as plowing.

Description of Work
We had our driveway and path to the front of the house done in pavers, the front stairs and stoop resurfaced in bluestone and thinstone, and stepping stones placed around the side of the house.

Category hardscaping

In regards to the estimate-all estimates are very detailed and include specific costs for specific materials. When changes to materials are made before or during work begins, it can and usually does affect the cost. In your case-the material you selected added cost. These changes were brought to your attention. According to the contract we both signed, the project start date was 10/23/13, the end date was 11/30/13. The project was interrupted by approximately one week due to an early and unusual high winds snowstorm which resulted in down power lines and closed public roads; much of the southern CT was without power-including my residence for three days. I apologize for not contacting you in the days following the storm. We did resume work the following week but at no point did weeks go by without any work being done. As expected and explained, many parts of your projects were very time consuming and detailed-which may have seemed like little progress was being made at times. The paving stones in your driveway and walkway took approximately 7-8 days to install. The mini excavator was not needed for this process, but we typically do not remove machinery if it is still needed to finish another part of the job. Also, no damages were left by said machine. Your disturbed lawn areas were left as promised. We did work on two Sundays with your permission to try finish the project on schedule but two aspects of the project remained outstanding at the promised end date-an asphalt apron by the roadside, and grading disturbed areas. As a courtesy, we purchased and installed sod immediately adjacent to your new paving stone driveway at no additional cost to you. All work was finished within the following week.

08/16/2012

LESLIE M.

The job was done during the hottest part of July. I would have been happy to wait for cooler weather. As a result, the heat from the driveway and the street burned up about a foot of grass around the edges. I had to water the grass twice a day. The burned grass did turn green later on. This year, however, I have half crab grass and a few weeds in there, which I had not expected quite so soon. At this point the house next door is being replaced, and the owner has promised to redo the lawn when the house is finished because of truck and people traffic.

Description of Work
I wanted a few things done to improve my tiny front yard, but the estimate was so high, I just settled for sod on the lawn. The one good thing I can say is the team worked very hard removing the old soil and putting in the sod.

Category hardscaping

I’m very sorry about your poor experience with regards to the sod lawn installation we provided. After reading your report, I reviewed our correspondence that we had prior to and during the sod installation. My goal is always to educate customers in hopes it allows them to make better decisions for projects on their properties. We had discussed installing sod in the middle of the summer and I did explain that it was possible to install sod during the summer-but that it required more time and resources on your end. I specifically instructed you in an email on July 22, 2011 that you should be watering 3-4 times a day. It sounds like your watering schedule of 2 times a day was enough since the sod did establish and the brown areas next to the road and driveway came back towards the end of the summer. It is very common for lawns to brown next to asphalt areas in the heat of the summer. We would have been happy to wait for cooler weather to install the sod but it seemed you were eager to have a new lawn and were willing to put in the extra effort to ensure that it would survive the heat. In regards to the condition of your lawn this year-any lawn, whether sod or seed, requires inputs (water, fertilizer, weed and insect control applications) throughout the year to thrive. The crabgrass likely grew where and when the lawn was stressed and will die out within the next few weeks. I am also unsure to what extent of stress or damage the “truck and people traffic” caused on your lawn or if your crabgrass was related to this issue. Please understand unless the contractors from your neighbor’s property renovation caused serious turf damage in regards to grading or soil compaction from heavy trucks, your lawn is not a lost cause. You may not need to have your neighbor replace it. I’d be happy to look at your lawn and provide my opinion. In any case, you can keep the crabgrass from returning next year by continuing to apply or having a licensed applicator apply a weed prevention application in the spring and summer (3) total for the year. The first application of weed pre emergent should be applied prior to soil temperatures reaching 50 degrees-another rule of thumb is prior to the yellow forsythia blooms. Most lawn programs recommend 1-2 weed pre emergents, but I would consider an additional application. This is something that should happen each year. Again, please let me know if you would like me to view the lawn and I would be happy to provide an assessment at no cost. Best, Shawn Upton

07/20/2012

Robert P.

Shawn Upton is the owner of the company. He takes care of several issues for me in my yard. He is very accessible. He is very accommodating. The price is fair. He is very professional. I am happy.

Description of Work
I used Upton, Inc. Landscape & Construction for landscaping and lawn mowing. They are here pretty much every week.

Category landscaping, lawn service, tree service

07/16/2012

Richard B.

Overall, the experience went very well. Shawn was very nice, patient, and willing to work with our design needs. His communication was excellent (email, texts, pdfs, etc) which made life easy for us. There were no surprises. Even though there was a slight delay due to the freak October snowstorm last year, Upton came through on schedule and with minimal hassle.

Description of Work
Upton, Inc. put in a very nice brick patio and walkway for us, along with a gravel parking area.

Category excavators, masonry, drain pipe

05/24/2012

Paul C.

He came out the same day I called, we talked about the project. He promised pictures of his work and an estimate. I had a few email contacts with him and he kept promising the estimate, but he never provided it. Very dissapointing overall to deal with.

Description of Work
Build a ten foot wall and put down 20 foot sidewalk.

Category hardscaping

I apologize for not sending the estimate within the timeframe I initially designated. As you mentioned, having been referred to you by Nicolock, I did view the project the same day you inquired about the estimate discussed possible designs. I also emailed pictures in the week following the consultation. Following the consultation, a Nicolock representative informed me that you were unhappy with the time it was taking to produce the estimate. I immediately sent you an email apologizing and explaining that my stepfather had passed away and that I would need additionally time. The delay was unfortunately beyond my control. I received no response and, having been given the impression that you were close to committing to working with another contractor, I mistakenly concluded that you were no longer interested in working with me and, hence, did not send an estimate. The quality of your experience is very important to me and, if possible, I'd like to offer redress for failing to follow up regarding the status of the job. If you're still willing to consider us for the project, I'd be happy to provide a timely estimate and perform the work. The circumstances leading up to this situation were certainly the exception rather than the rule, and I can comfortably promise that you won't find another contractor more meticulous and demanding about the quality of the work he performs. Sincerely, Shawn Upton

05/22/2012

Mark S.

Shawn and his team completed the project, and it was done to fit what Shawn and I had discussed in our original meetings. The work looks great, and I've had many comments from my neighbors about the high quality appearance of the work. I would recommend Upton, Inc to anyone looking to have earthwork/paving/masonry work performed. Thanks!

Description of Work
Upton, Inc installed a blue stone walkway, and covered an existing porch with blue stone and veneer stone.

Category masonry, hardscaping

03/29/2012

Julia J.

Usually doing our own work around the house, this was our first major investment in home improvement. My husband thought about doing the work on his own, but we were convinced that this would be a worthwhile investment, especially since it was important for it to be done right. After making calls to three businesses we received references for (Upton Landscape being the only one from Angie?s List), we received an immediate response from Shawn Upton, the owner. He came to our home within 2 days of the initial call, spoke with us about exactly what we wanted, took measurements, drew various designs, and gave an estimate within days of visiting. We did receive other estimates and chose Shawn based on the fair price, his ideas for the patio area, his other excellent reviews on this website, and just a good ?vibe?. He has a calm and patient attitude and his work reflects it. He is very thoughtful and quite the perfectionist. When meeting Shawn, we were drawn to his creativity. It is obvious in his manner that he takes his work seriously and enjoys designing with customers? input. We were indecisive about what color pavers to use on our project. He drove us to 6 different homes in the local area he had completed (one being the one who reviewed on 2/16/12 ? we were there when Shawn noticed the paver shifting and heard him say he would be back to fix it). Just the way he interacted with his former customers said volumes. He had a lot of patience with us and never seemed bothered by all the questions we had?that was impressive. The project took about 2 weeks with weather. We received almost daily updates from Shawn on the project's progress. He was not onsite with the workers (who were all friendly) all the time, but did check their work at the end of each day. He also dropped by on a regular basis while they were working to check on the progress. When we called or had a question, he would call back the same day. He is NOT the type of contractor who has to be hunted down, only to get a call back days or weeks later. The only con (if you could call it that) would be all the choices we were given?Shawn is very flexible, but gives advice freely (and we are very happy we chose the Fire Island pavers with his input). You would not believe how good it feels to come home, get out of the car, and open our back gate to the sanctuary that Shawn created. I smile every day and know that we made an excellent choice and were blessed to have him work with us. It was worth every penny. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Excavated old driveway remnants on side of house, designed a paver patio with walkway to basement and pool in back of house, built small retaining wall. Since our backyard slopes downhill, ensured that run-off would go towards the backyard, not in towards the house. Approximately 600 square feet of pavers installed.

03/16/2012

Margaret A Q.

IMr Upton arrived punctually to look at the job and we discussed my requirements in detail, including how he would dig a trench for the drain, line it with stone, connect perforated pipe to the drain pipe in the trench, and fill the trench with stone so the water would soak away underground to prevent erosion. I then waited nearly two weeks for a quote, which I finally got by emailing Shawn multiple times. The quote was incorrect (did not describe the job properly), so there was another round of emailing to get a correct quote, which I signed and paid a deposit on.The lawn renovations went very well, but Shawn underestimated the amount of mulch needed and asked me to pay for the additional mulch. I was not happy but agreed. The drainage repair was another matter. The trench was dug, and the perforated pipe was on the job site, but a few days later I found non perforated pipe ad been installed, debouching above ground in an existing stone wall (VERY UGLY), about 20 feet further down the yard. I asked the workmen what was going on and they said they were doing what they were told to do and they filled in the trench that day. As I wished to document my unhappiness at the way the drainage contract had been incorrectly carried out, I used email to contact Upton Inc. I asked Mr Upton to meet me at the job site (I live next door). He came, did not let me know he was coming, and went away again without contacting me. A few days later, a worker dug a shallow (6" deep ) slot below where the pipes debouched and filled it with gravel. I then received a bill for the balance due on the job. I happily paid the balance Mr Upton requested on the lawn renovations and mulch, but withheld the balance due on the drainage job, as Mr Upton's actions were not what was contracted for, and had simply moved my erosion problem down the hill (indeed, over the course of the winter, I now have new erosion which is threatening a mature sugar maple and eroding the brand new lawn). I wrote Mr. Upton with my payment, explaining why I had withheld the balance on the drainage job and asking him to meet me at the job site to discuss the drainage issue. I have heard nothing from him since and assume that he will not fix the problem. Interestingly he has never billed me for the additional mulch I agreed to pay for. Not sure what that's about, but I assume Mr Upton has walked away from this contract. The lawn has wintered very well. In principal I am pleased with this part of the work, but I don't feel I can hire him again because of the lack of response to the drainage issue. Mr Upton needs to work VERY h****** communications and follow though, also on supervising his workers so that the work that is contracted for is actually done.

Description of Work
I called Shawn Upton to renovate an existing lawn, mulch non-lawn areas, and fix a drainage problem (a gutter drain that was eroding the yard) at a rental property adjacent to my home. Within 24 hours of posting my review, Mr Upton contacted me to "try to resolve the outstanding issues." He apologized for disappearing for 8 months, which apology I have accepted. He explained why I was not billed for additional mulch, which explanation I accept, though it is not how I remember the events. RE: my drainage issues, Mr Upton vigorously disputes my understanding of the terms of the contract, my view of the problems that I feel have ensued, and my suggested remediation. When I suggested that listening to what a customer wants is a large part of obtaining customer satisfaction, Mr Upton actually said "That's not how I work." End of conversation. My recommendation to other members is to avoid Upton Inc.

Category landscaping, mulch, drain pipe