Almstead Tree & Shrub Care Co

Founded 1964 • With Angi since August 2006

547 Hope St

Stamford, CT 06907

Family owned and operated since 1964, Almstead Tree and Shrub Care Company is proud to offer expert service to both residential and commercial clients. Whether you're in the market to save a cherished tree or manage an entire campus, you can trust Almstead to handle your goals and concerns with the utmost professionalism. Contact us today. www.almstead.com...

04/27/2018

Joseph C.

I was very pleased with the quality of the work. They arrived on time and reviewed the scope of the work I requested. The spruce and the sycamores were located in tight spaces. Their experience shown through as they tackled the job skillfully. They cleaned up both job sites promptly and thoroughly. I would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Removed a 30’ spruce and pruned the canopies of several mature sycamore maples.

10/04/2017

Kimberly B.

Almstead was prompt and professional. They did a great job.

Description of Work
Air-Spading of trees + Fertilization

08/28/2015

Bill T.

They did everything that we contracted for in one day and left no mess behind.

Description of Work
They did extensive pruning to a half a dozen pear trees, removed several large bushes, pruned several large trees including removing a number of large limbs. In addition they trimmed a number of spruces. They're total cost was materially less than the other estimated I received.

08/08/2015

gordon C.

These guys were great. 1) they came quickly and on schedule to provide recommendations. Received a detailed written quote the next day. The crew came as scheduled a week later. They were on time, very polite. They cleaned up everything. I am very pleased with them

Description of Work
Major pruning of 5 large trees, as well as removing dead limbs from several others

07/05/2014

Charlene P.

Our landscape looks beautiful. The men were very friendly, responsive to our requests and very professional. We've used Almstead many times. It is our go to tree service.

Description of Work
Pruned overgrown trees in front yard.

11/10/2013

Lauren A.

Great service, fair price- did a great job!

Description of Work
Had many trees taken off our property and had stumps ground as well.

08/19/2013

KAREN R.

The initial consultation. The person was on time, and seemed very knowledgeable. I think he is actually an arbor-ist (not sure what the correct term is). Some of his recommendations were different from other professionals we met with, but I suppose there is more than one "right" way to do things. We'll see how our trees look next spring! The quote. A bit more expensive than the other 2 quotes we received, but not out of line. They were all pretty close. The differences were that (1) both of the other companies said they'd "throw in" pruning some other shrubs and trees whereas Almstead did not. But what I really liked about their quote was that it was all itemized. The others were a lump sum, so I had to ask how much we would save if we didn't do one of the items. Almstead's quote was very clear and made it easy to decide what to do or not do. The quote was not negotiable, no coupons or discounts for Angies List members, or first time customers. . The job. 3 men showed up at 8:25 on the appointed day. They were organized as to how they approached and divided up the work. The trees looked beautiful when they were finished. To my uneducated eyes, I think the Pear trees were shaped and thinned really nicely. The men all seemed knowledgeable about how to selectively prune (rather than butcher) various types of trees. Cleanup was good, could have been a little bit better. And a little more care could have been taken with not damaging the garden. But I realize that they did have a large amount of pruning to do in a very small area. One thing that was somewhat frustrating is that there was a misunderstanding about whether one small tree was included in the price, so they weren't going to do it. I showed them the quote (it was included) so they did it, which took all of 5 minutes. Then after questioning whether the one small tree was included in the $2000 job (rather than just going ahead and doing it), they then spent 45 minutes working on a neighbor's shrub for twenty bucks! Follow Up & Responsiveness. Excellent. Someone from the company called to see how the job went. And I left a msg for the arbor-ist and we set up an appt to review the work. (Again, he arrived right on time). He addressed my concerns and answered my questions. And someone from their office called me subsequently to let me know that what we discussed was taken care of. Minor quibbles aside, I think they did an excellent job, were professional, knowledgeable and easy to work with. I would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Prune severely overgrown Bradford pear trees, a very large oak tree, a weeping cherry and 2 pine trees. Also removed 2 pine trees.

06/27/2013

Jamie M.

Brian was nice on the phone, came out to quote the job in the fall. We didn't end up having the work done until the spring. The crew came and removed the trees. We wanted to keep the trees for firewood. They left these huge pieces of the trunk scattered about the yard, basically taking up the whole yard. It looked awful. We had to pay someone else to come and cut them down and stack them nicely to the side until we could split the wood. They left huge stumps and never communicated that they'd be back a month later to grind them. Then one day they showed up unannounced on the property to grind the stumps. In the process, they cracked a whole section of our slate patio stones. The communication has been unclear. We continue to receive invoices though we are disputing because of the damage. They told me to go through the leg work to get an estimate and never even came to the property to assess the damage. Update 8/27/13: Nearly 2 months after the damage occurred (6/29/13), a representative finally came out to the house to inspect the damage first hand. We agreed to a remediation plan in writing for the resolution of this issue on 7/3/13. To date, this issue has not been resolved and we are still shown as owing a balance to this company. The representative is unresponsive to emails and phone calls.

Description of Work
Removed 3 large trees from our property; trimmed and applied support cables to another tree, grinded the stumps

Category tree service

I’m sorry that you’re disappointed in our service. I looked at the estimate, and we hadn’t included stacking the wood: we just left it around the bottoms of the trees. Many people like to split their wood before stacking it, so it didn’t seem unusual to me to leave it in place. We don’t typically call before coming back to grind the stumps, unless asked to, since the job is so straightforward; I apologize for any inconvenience. As for the patio, we take full responsibility for breaking the stones. When I looked at the damage yesterday, I felt the estimate you had been given was high and I thought we had agreed to look into other options. There is no question that we intend to replace the 5 broken stones, either by doing it ourselves or by getting other estimates.

06/12/2013

Sharon P.

Once we called to give a deposit, they were able to come out to do the grinding work in the rain in order to get it done before a party we were having that weekend. The guys worked carefully of the other plants in the yard and the kids' swingset and also did not tear up the ground with the machine even though it was raining heavily while they were here. They also came to rang the doorbell when done to tell that they recommended that I wash off our fence due to the dirt and bits of tree that had been ground up. Got our final bill today and we'll be mailing back the balance tomorrow.

Description of Work
We had a lot of tree stumps around our house from a previous owner. They came quickly to give me a quote, Brian was great about calling before he got here and we chose Almstead the next day.

06/01/2013

Myrca P.

Not professional at all. We went with another company that treated us better, I would not recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Provider did not respond to original e-mail. I called location and setup visit. Provider came and we explain what we needed done. AHe left to come back for measurements and never called or e-mailed back. Six weeks after the visit we received an e-mail asking us if we going to go with the project.

05/28/2013

Robert K.

Almstead was quick to provide an estimate. This estimate was materially below another quote from a competing tree service that I used in the past. Scheduling was a bit difficult, because I think the estimator was working on a few other larger jobs. Once the crew came out (on a weekend, which I didn't mind, because I was home), they got to work. The crew was very nice and open to explaining to me what they were doing. Also, they cleaned up very well. The only negative, is that it would have been nice to know that they needed to use my neighbor's driveway ahead of time, as the job might not have gotten done if my neighbor's weren't at home! Almstead will be my first call the next time my tree needs work.

Description of Work
They trimmed and cabled a maple tree in my yard.

05/22/2013

David K.

Michael Almstead looked at the tree and its surroundings. He gave me a written estimate at that time. When I decided to use Almstead's services, Michael scheduled the job at a convenient time. The crew was punctual, courteous, and efficient. I was very pleased with the results.

Description of Work
Cut down a large tree.

05/09/2013

Alex L.

Wow, they were fantastic. I received a quote from Brian and agreed to it the same day. He told me when his crew would be coming and there they were. I had a huge pile of sticks and brush that had to be chipped and thought it was going to cost a lot more than it did. Since I wanted to keep the chips that they made they simply left me with a pile of chips from the truck and took the chips from my yard. They also trimmed some stumps that were on my property and did an excellent job cleaning up afterwards. Super thorough, took their time, and at a great price.

Description of Work
Wood chipping, brush removal, yard cleanup, stump cutting.

03/25/2013

INDIA P.

Almstead returned my phone call promptly and an appointment was made for a day or two later to assess our needs. Ed Gulinowski was the arborist who arrived on time on the specified date. He was very knowledgeable and thorough (I had him look at several trees on the property.) After we walked the property together, he took some time to study everything on his own and then, to my surprise, rang my doorbell and presented my with a proposal about an hour later. He also followed that up with an email a few days later to see if I had any questions about the proposal. I said I was waiting for other proposals before making a decision. We ultimately went with Almstead because 1) they were the most professional 2) they were the most reasonably priced 3) they were the most communicative. Ed kept trying to schedule the work, but bad weather kept intervening. His guys did the job as soon as the weather allowed. They took one day to do it, they were all very pleasant and answered our questions, and everything was cleaned up afterwards. Almstead also called a couple of days later to ask us how we felt about how everything went. That impressed us, too. As far as we're concerned, Almstead (and, hopefully, Ed Gulinowski) is the only tree service we will ever use.

Description of Work
Cut down 100 ft tall, 38" diameter tulip wood tree.

12/20/2012

Ada M.

They charged too much for the application. It was about twice as much as the average and was a little over $100. My lawn was a mess and my neighbors were not and I thought that I would hire a professional lawn care company. They had an agronomist that was on their staff this year and he came out and they took soil samples in which they lost and charged me twice for it. He came out in July and said it was because I didn't water and it was terrible. I've never seen my lawn so bad. He supposedly applied lime and nothing did any good, so it was not a good experience for lawn care. Tree wise they're probably fine, but the reason I called them about the lawn service was because of the tree service I had with them a few years ago in which the guys were nice, were quick, and efficient and the price was right. The lawn service was terrible, so I won't be calling them back although they were willing to come out.

Description of Work
Almstead Tree & Shrub Care removed a tree for me a couple of years ago and this year they did lawn service for me and put down their last fertilizer lawn application for the year in November.

Category lawn treatment

A lawn on a ledge, like this one, drains quickly and requires even more water than normal. We explained the necessity of vigilant watering to the client, and thought she was on board. No lawn health care program will work in the absence of sufficient water. We acknowledge that the lawn performed poorly, but respectfully disagree about the reason.

11/12/2012

Shelley C.

We discussed every detail from start to finish and put the plan down on paper. Once the job was done, Bob went over each item with me on the property to make sure it was done to satisfaction.

Description of Work
Almstead pruned extensively on our one acre property. We have quite a few old oaks and other hardwoods that had overgrown into the property over the years.

11/12/2012

Margaret S.

They were the best price of four providers, they were quick, clean and thorough. The response time to get a quote was a bit slow, but otherwise, things went great. I used them afterwards for some landscaping. Again, they were very good and very responsive. I am turning my tree care and maintenance over to them.

Description of Work
I had several trees removed.

10/27/2012

Susanne L.

The first time they came several years ago they identified all trees on my property and diagnosed the health of each. I have since had them prune my trees every other year or so and will continue to use their excellent services.

Description of Work
I have used Almstead for several years. They are professional, knowledgeable and reasonably priced. I will continue to use them and highly recommend them.

06/22/2012

Susan B.

They have made very helpful suggestions. They are great with identifying problems and suggesting reasonable ways to fix them. They also give a really helpful list and prioritize the list from most important to least.

Description of Work
They have done work for me for several years. They have done trimming of branches and cabling limbs. They have also trimmed a tree they is growing rapidly and discussed hormone treatments.

Category landscaping, lawn treatment, tree service

01/24/2012

Jim C.

We were very pleased. They treated us very well and the work came out great. The price was fair.

Description of Work
We had some trees removed and some brush chipped.

Category landscaping, mulch, tree service

01/19/2012

Michael F.

I left two voicemails and submitted a request on the website for a return call. I still have not heard back from them. There are good reviews on Angie's list, plus my coworker gave them a thumbs up from years of experience. So I don't know what happened in my case. But in any case, I'm moving on.

Description of Work
I need trees pruned.

07/26/2011

Jim C.

They were very polite and extremely professional. They did as they said they would and were punctual. They did a great job and I will continue to use their services in future.

Description of Work
I used the services of Almstead Tree & Shrub Care Co. to remove a few trees and pruned a few trees, couple of weeks ago.

07/21/2011

Genevieve H.

The didn't show up for the appointment.

Description of Work
I called to make and appointment for tick spraying and other pest spraying for our trees.

05/11/2011

Eric M.

Salesperson extremely knowledgeable an job was performed with in accordance with description. No surprises and very professional.

Description of Work
Cut down several trees and grind stumps to grade. Also prune other trees on my property.

05/09/2011

Ginny T.

They are great. We have used them multiple times.

Description of Work
They have cut trees down, secured them, and taken care of branches.

Mario's Son Landscaping, LLC

We have over 30 years of experience in the business. At Mario's Son Landscaping, LLC, we pride our company on reliability, great communication, integrity, and quality work. We are experts in our trade and will do our best to keep you as educated as we can on your particular task or project. We look forward to earning your business! We love what we do! You can expect friendly and professional service. Our range of knowledge in all aspects is vast whether it be general property, grounds keeping, lawn care, and so much more. We complete large and small projects from beginning to end within budget. Let us do the work for you so you can spend more time with your family!

GREENLEAF SERVICES LLC

We at Greenleaf Services, LLC believe that trees and shrubs are one of the most important assets on your property (as well as on this planet). As professional arborists and horticulturists we are dedicated to plant care to preserve their safety, beauty and integrity for many generations to come. With this as our mission, our tree care professionals have been increasing the value of homes in lower Fairfield County since 1993.

Northeast Horticultural Services

Northeast Horticultural Services are proud of our commitment in providing customers with professional advice and reliable service in the areas of plant and tree health care, landscape architecture and organic services. Specializing in the acquisition of unique specimen trees and large tree planting, Northeast Horticultural Services are experts in plant choice and placement to visually enhance your property's aesthetic appearance and add to your property's value. MBE Certified.

Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Check, PayPal

Almstead offers comprehensive tree services including pruning and removal, tree risk assessment, inoculation and treatment for pests and diseases, stump grinding, tree planting, shrub pruning, compost tea application, custom fertilization, cabling and bracing and more. Almstead also offers lawn care including organic and traditional programs.

Landscape design, lawn mowing, firewood delivery