TradeWind Irrigation, LLC

Founded 1990 • With Angi since July 2006

50 Budney Rd

Newington, CT 06111

Celebrating our 25th year of service Achieving the highest standards of excellence in our installations and service. Utilizing the latest in technology, TradeWind Irrigation can install a state-of-the-art sprinkler system for your new home. If your lawn is already established, we can install a sprinkler system with a minimum of disturbance and bother. In most cases the installation takes one day. If you are re-landscaping, we will work with your landscaper to provide you with a system that will protect your investment for years to come. Don't hire a landscaper who "does sprinkler systems." Sprinkler systems must be customized to your yard, or they won't adequately cover it or they will waste water and wind up costing you more. TradeWind installations are very neat. When the installation is complete, your home's interior and exterior are left spotless. We pride ourselves in quality, which encompasses top-notch workmanship and materials, a clean work environment, and the best service on the industry. Protect and enhance your landscape investment with an automatic inground sprinkling system installed by a team of professionals who take real, genuine pride in the quality of their work. ...

07/12/2018

Jacques B.

Very poorly. See my review on yelp. Customer service is abysmal.

Description of Work
Turn on/off service on sprinkler system

10/17/2016

Chet P.

arrogant, failed to honor warranted parts

Description of Work
irrigation service

03/30/2016

Cynthia F.

Well. Prepped for job, they came and did a good job. Been with this company for a few years; they did the install. I have used them for spring start up and winter close down. Also had to have them re-do work after a home construction project required half the lawn to be dug up. They are very good and extremely reliable. Highly recommend!!!!

Description of Work
Winterization

03/15/2016

Karen Y.

TradeWind Irrigation was professional and efficient. The owner came out to discuss/quote the project. The price was in line with other providers, and included everything that needed to be done. It was more cost efficient to do the whole yard at once than just the front, which is what we initially were going to do, so we ended up doing everything. The crew came when promised and everyone worked well together to get the job done quickly and correctly. The project lead explained the settings to me and how to operate the controls. He said to call if there were any problems. A few days later, I noticed one of the heads needed to be adjusted slightly, but I had trouble using the "tool" they provided. I called them and they came out and adjusted it. By the way, the tool, a plastic rod that you are supposed to turn one way to adjust the direction of the sprinkler head, and the other way to adjust the flow amount, really doesn't work well. Apparently it's an industry standard, but they should develop something easier and more accurate to adjust the sprinkler heads - but that's not an issue with TradeWind itself. They were very accommodating with any questions I had, and also spoke to me about what things I needed to do in the fall and spring to turn the sprinklers on and off for the season. I would recommend them to others and would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Installed irrigation system in front and back yards; installed meter to capture irrigation only water flow so it is separately tracked from total water flow usage at address; filed appropriate permit with town.

08/28/2015

David S.

The provider's serviceman showed up within the time promised and spent a total of five minutes to locate the closed water valve. We have been customers of this service for over 10 years and have never called with an issue. We never questioned their charges for starting the system, closing the system and paying for parts or service at the times of opening and closing the system. I called this morning to question the bill of almost $100 for the five minute service call and was told that this was their minimum charge for a service call regardless of what a good customer we have been or how long the service was required. I am now looking for an alternative company to provide these services in the future.

Description of Work
Within 5 minutes of his arrival the provider discovered that the main water valve was closed. He opened the valve and left the property.

06/04/2015

Andrew E.

First of all, there is little or no communication as to when they're going to open up your system. I had to call to get the date which was May 28. That's a little late to open the system in my opinion. So planning on May 28 I patiently waited. I never received a call as to what the timeframe would be that they would show up. So I called the morning of the 28th, spoke with a gentleman who was friendly, and he told me that they would call me before they were visiting the house so that we could be there. Time went by throughout the day I received no phone call there was no phone call to our home phone and my wife arrived later at home to a message hanging on the door to reschedule the appointment. So frustrated I called Tradewind and explain my situation that I was frustrated that I had called in the morning asking for them to give me a call and received no call. The woman on the other line give me attitude right from the get-go did not perceive to listen to my problems and solve them but give a response back in that I was putting her out to ask her to do two things at once. She then accused me of lying by saying that her technician had called me twice and I did not answer the phone. This was not correct at all. As I was calling from my cell phone on my ride back from work, my cell phone got disconnected. Attempted to call back twice, no one picked up the phone and it even seemed like they put me to voicemail knowing that it was me calling back. They have made no effort to get my business back and frankly I will find someone else to give my business to. It almost seem like because Granby is farther away from their service area that they were happy to get rid of me.

Description of Work
Attempted to open our system

05/12/2015

David S.

Not well. I will be looking for another irrigation service. This business is not customer friendly or reliable. They used to be great but things change. Either they have gotten too big to give a d*** or the business has been sold to someone who could care less.

Description of Work
More like what they did NOT do. I have used TradeWind services for many years with great satisfaction but like my wife always tells me, "Nothing stays the same". Either this business has a new owner or they just no longer care about customer service. When I called for a startup several weeks ago, I was given a date and two hour time period, within which they were supposed to show up. After waiting for them for the two hours no one came. When I called I was told that there was some issues that the provider had today but he will be coming within the next hour. I asked why I couldn't have received a call letting me know he would be late but the guy I talked with was apologetic and had no reply. 45 minutes later he pulled up at a neighbors house to do her sprinklers. I had an appointment so I had to leave and stopped off to tell him I would no longer be available. He told me that he had me down for a "LATE" appointment. My time was between 2 and 4 PM and it was now 5 PM. When they show up the work is fine but this business is NOT reliable and I am looking for another service to do business with. Their customer service SUCKS!

01/07/2015

Claudia F.

Terrible. The owner came out, walked around with me, and told me what he suggested and how much it would cost. (Around 400.) He was wonderful to deal with. Very thorough, and took time to explain everything that needed to be done. He told me I could call the office to set up the appointment, which I did. The appointment was scheduled for a Friday before a holiday weekend. The serviceman arrived with no idea of what he was supposed to be doing, expecting me to show him everything. I was take aback, and told him what I thought he needed to do, but there was a lot and he had no specific instructions. He called the office and was told something, but not at all specifically what the owner had suggested. So he made a comment about it being a holiday and that he could get it done very quickly. It was obvious that he just wanted to get away for the weekend. He started ripping up the lawn and came in about an hour later to say he was done. He had not even begun to do all the things I thought I had talked about with the owner, and in communications with the office, it seemed like NO ONE had any written instructions as to what needed to be done. So they had to send out someone else to finish the job the following week. In all this, the owner called to apologize and explain that this was not common for the business, and that they would make it right. So another person came out a week or so later, and he didn't know specifically what was to be done, either. I guess I just thought that they would have had some kind of specific plan stating the work that needed to be done so I didn't have to stand out there all day and go around to figure out which sprinklers did and didnt work and which ones needed different heads and where they needed to be added. Anyway, the job finally got done but was it worth the time I had to spend supervising and making phone calls? I thought that was why you hired someone to do these things. Nevertheless, I must say the owner was very accommodating, very professional, and honorable. It just seems that he has lost some control of his business. There was NO constructive communication between any of the parties I did business with. I did ask them to come back, as they offer a spring visit to look over everything to make sure it is all in good working order and make repairs if needed. This costs $75.00. I hope they remember I asked for it:) This is a reputable and professional business. The owner was an absolute pleasure to deal with, and the reason I did not shop around for price and service quotes. I suggest that they just have some kind of work order presented to the customer and given to the employees, so that each different employee that handles the job understands exactly what the job is without the customer having to go over it again and again, making calls to the office, etc..

Description of Work
Repair and installation of sprinklers. Added a couple of heads and changed others.

10/10/2014

Larry S.

Gary came out to do the estimate promptly. His estimate came with a drawing of the layout of the system and head locations, which his competitor did not. Price was fair and Tradewind was selected because of their good plan/proposal and knowledge of the system, even though they were not low bid. They arrived to do the work right on time and his crew and crew leader were professional and went about their work quickly and methodically. I expressed concern about one area of sprinkler coverage and they installed an extra head for no extra cost. They seeded the areas of the lawn that were disturbed by the machine, gave me operating instructions including system-demonstration, cleaned up and were gone with about 8 hour installation for 32 head system. I am very happy with my new system and look forward to greener grass next summer.

Description of Work
Installed sprinkler system

09/30/2014

Laura G.

Just moved into a new house in a new town and my husband accidentally ran over a sprinkler head with his car before we had established ourselves with an irrigation company. We randomly called TradeWind and the woman on the phone was professional and courteous. They came out that same day and fixed it, plus checked all our other sprinkler heads and adjusted them as needed. Even gave us tips about what to do soon to prep our system for the winter. We were very pleased. We've found our new irrigation company! Will be using them again in the future.

Description of Work
Prompt and professional

08/19/2014

Chris R.

They do great work they are a little pricey, but we like the quality of the work. Several people came to install the system and it took a whole day. They were on time and were very professional in their approach.

Description of Work
They put in a sprinkler system at our new home.

08/19/2014

Justin C.

This is an honest company that does good work. Needless to say tradewind is now my new sprinkler company.

Description of Work
Bought a new house. The existing system had a leak and each zone had to be turned on and off manually. The sprinkler company that came with the house said the issues could not be fixed so I called tradewind to quote a new system. The owner showed up gave me a quote but told me that the old system could be fixed. Within two days the leak was fixed and a new timer was installed. Bottom line is tradewind saved me money and time.

07/03/2014

Elizabeth P.

excellent customer service you can feel comfortable using this company.

Description of Work
the lawn irrigation company that was supposed to come and shut down the system last year and restart it this year never came. the system was a mess...these guys came and did everything that they were supposed to do on time, corrected all of the problems in a timely manner and in a professional way. I would definitely recommend them to anyone so glad that I called them. I dont feel that they overcharged me in anyway.

05/26/2014

Joseph B.

Gary and his team were excellent. They should up on time and completed the installation in one day. What impressed me the most was their care in making sure my lawn looked great after the installation. Not only did they compact where the trenching was done, but they raked the lawn to minimize the tire tracks from the installation and seeded in several areas. Gary did an excellent job in explaining my control system. Great team....I highly recommend Tradewind. And thanks to those of you at Angie's List for taking the worry out of searching for qualified contractors.

Description of Work
Tradewind installed an irrigation system for my front and back lawn (approx. 0.75 acres). They also upgraded the water pressure associated with my well in order to improve overall system performance.

02/11/2014

Katrina A.

They were really professional. They came out on time for the appointment. They were also thorough and they were generally nice to work with. The reason we didn't use them is because they use commercial spray and stuff which we weren't looking for that. We ended up not installing sprinklers.

Description of Work
TradeWind Irrigation, LLC came out and gave us a quote for lawn sprinklers.

11/14/2013

Michael S.

Gary, owner of Tradewind Irrigation provided us a quote which we compared with several others we received via Angie's List recommendations. My wife and I really liked the presentation, the approach, the testimonials and materials used. He wasn't the lowest bidder but we felt it was the best value for what we received - our philosophy is when dealing with recommended professionals "you get what you pay for". I was home the day they installed and was very impressed with the crew and care they took in installing. We had some underground cable TV lines that I wasn't 100% sure of location wise and they hand dug to be sure they didn't cause a problem. Gary was there to review system operation and adjustments personally. So far, we are delighted with the system and it's operation. No reservations recommending Tradewind to anyone looking for a quality system, installed right and a five year warranty to boot! Michael & Nancy

10/29/2013

John P.

I had been using Tradwind Irrigation for my properties for about 5 years. They would not call ahead for an appointment. They woudld just show up or send a letter. Often times I had to call to see when they were coming out to winterize or set up my sprinklers in the spring. For the last 2 years i had been complaining about a possible leak to the tubing as one are of my lawn always ended up soaked. Despite my concenrs, they never were able to ascertain the source problem. they did however always find several sprinkler heads that needed replacement and that, by replacing said heads, there would be no more flooding. i ahd already planeed on calling around for a new provider until this past July caused me to cancel their services effective immedaitely. Apparently the y had anew service that tests the sprinklers. they sent sopmeone to my home to conduct the test without my authorization. I did not know someone had come out until I recieved a bill in the mail. When i called them to let them know that i never auhtorized them to come out and perform said test, i was told by someoen who claimed to be the owner that I had auhtorized the test the last time i called in. As i attempted to explain to the "owner" that I never authorized the test, she became rude an confrontational. I ended up paying the $50 fee and moved my business elsewhere. I had been spending hundreds annually so they are the one losing out for having questionalbe business practices and no business etiquette.

Description of Work
This provider used to service all my irrigation needs for multiple properties

Category irrigation systems

Tradewind Irrigation services over 4,000 customers. Rarely do we lose a customer, but when we do, we always feel sad over the loss. We try very hard to do the best work possible, but you can't please everyone, all the time, no matter how hard you try. I can only say, that the service being referenced, was a backflow test and re-certification, as is required by Connecticut State law. We did make the appointment, ahead of time, but the customer couldn't recall that. I think it's reasonable to understand that we wouldn't waste our time doing an unauthorized service that is only $50. We wouldn't be serving ourselves, or our customer any good. Our services are preceeded by either a phone call, to confirm the appointment, or a post card in the mail. This customer remembered the phone call, but only parts of the conversation, and didn't remember okaying the backflow test. (all our phone conversations with customers are transcribed into the customer's computer file.) I would ask Angie's List members to refer to the other reviews in our file, and go from there. Gary Krom, Owner

08/29/2013

Jay G.

It was an excellent installation. I think they are cheapest rate around. They're at least $15-20 cheaper per hour any way. They're very prompt when they said they were going to be here

Description of Work
TradeWind Irrigation installed our in-ground sprinkler. They also serviced it. I've been using them for a couple of years, but they were out here last week.

08/26/2013

Doug M.

We had a minor misunderstanding with the distribution of sprinklers. This was promptly discussed and completely resolved to our satisfaction. I would recommend. Thanks

Description of Work
Provided sprinkler system for lawn and gardens

Category lawn service, irrigation systems

06/10/2013

gail A.

It went very well. We were really happy with them and their price was very fair as we'd priced a couple companies. They were very professional and easy to deal with. They came out and talked with us about what we wanted. They surveyed the yard and made a map of what they thought they would do, showed it to us for review, we hired them and they came out and did it. I would definitely hire them again. They're a really reputable company and I had a positive experience with them. When we have any minor issues and we call them they respond so it's really easy to deal with them.

Description of Work
We used TradeWind Irrigation, who put in a sprinkler system in our yard.

02/25/2013

Michael R.

Quoted a fair price, showed up when they said they would and did the job. No Complaints.

Description of Work
Winterized sprinkler system

02/08/2013

Michael G.

TradeWind Irrigation were good. I'd call them back. It was pretty straight forward. We didn't have a lot of work done, but it was good.

Description of Work
We used TradeWind Irrigationto to do some work on our sprinklers.

09/11/2012

Miriam G.

It went very well. It was a one-day installation process with no mess left behind.

Description of Work
I had an initial meeting at which time a drawing was made to indicate where the sprinkler heads would go. From this map, I was able to know exactly what it would cost. I approved the amount, and a date was set as to when the installation would occur. The entire installation was completed in less than a day. All work areas were reseeded. Following the installation, I was educated relative to the system and what I would have to do in various situations. I also had the option of hiring the company to close down the system for the winter. In all, I've been very satisfied with this company. The quote was a bit higher than some I received, but the professionalism outweighed the slight increase in price.

08/24/2012

Ryan A.

We were interested in putting an irrigation system for a house we recently purchased. Tradewinds for the first and only company we contacted for a free estimate. Matt setup a time on a Saturday morning to discuss with my wife and I the system, walked with us around the yard and drew out an irrigation system plan. He was also able to provide us with an estimated that morning which was below our expectations and thought was fair. After sitting on the quote for a month or so my wife and I decided to move forward with installation in preparation of our fall lawn re-seeding project. We contacted Matt who setup and installation date the following week. Crew arrived well before the start time and finished well ahead of the expected finish time. Crew was very respectful of our time and property and was very clean. Matt followed up after the work was done to do a walk through with us to explain how the control box works, how to adjust sprinkler heads and general maintenance. Overall we are very happy with the entire process from beginning to end. The people at Tradewinds including Matt and the crew that worked on the house are top notch professionals, very friendly and approachable. They will be performing the servicing on the system in spring/winter and we would highly recommend them to anyone and would use their services again in the future.

Description of Work
Full irrigation system installed including sprinkler heads (30+), zones (6), plumbing work, control box and rain gauge.

08/14/2012

Henry B.

I contracted to have them come out and replace a number of sprinkler heads which they accomplished in record time.

Description of Work
The service was excellent and professional. Very pleased.