Charter Painting & Restoration

Founded 1969 • With Angi since July 2007

89 Tonica Spring Trail

Manchester, CT 06040

Full service custom painting contractor for interior and exterior, residential and commercial. Family owned and operated for over 48 years, maintaining same staff year after year. No payment due until completion.

10/08/2021

Amanda Z.

The house looks amazing

Description of Work
House painting

09/21/2021

Claudette C.

It went very well. They are punctual and on time. I will use them again in the future and will recommend to others.

Description of Work
They painted my house and drywall repair

05/13/2020

Gary B.

i could not be more pleased with Jim Charter and his crew. Lou the foreman was very attentive to details, and all the Owners here were very pleased with his professional and courteous work. As in many Condo Association there are picky owners, and here they were all pleased with the results. No complaints, and that is a victory. The project started last fall with one building done and the other 2 buildings to follow in the spring of 2020, With the Social Distancing in play, the owners having there front and back doors painted, with minimal intrusion on there units inside was very appreciated and required. There were here for about 5 weeks to complete two buildings. There were about 170 windows 20 doors and 3 two story main entrances. The clean up was great. Charter was not the lowest estimate, but I had a good felling talking to Jim Charter during the estimate process. I felt his company was the right fit for the project. And his workers have been with him for years. There was also carpentry work required replacing rotten wood, which Jim has a carpenter to do that part of the work. One stop shopping. Thanks to his crew

Description of Work
Painting requiring lots of prep work

04/03/2020

Denis H.

We have used Charter many times over many years, and always turn to them when new needs arise. We have used them for large jobs (painting the whole house) to small ones (patchwork, spackling and stucco repair, etc.) and pretty much everything in between. Most recently we have had individual rooms done, radiators and stairs repainted and more. We have never been disappointed. Not once. Always they have been professional, timely, courteous and do their work on time. Jim Charter and Christian Charter know their business and treat us and our property with respect. Their crews are always well trained and do excellent work. We have been in our house for almost 40 years and if we had ever found them to be less than competent or fair we would surely have looked elsewhere. In fact, they have never let us down. You would do well to consider Charter for your needs. We recommend them strongly.

Description of Work
Painting, interior and exterior etc.

Category hardwood floor, wallpaper removal, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

09/21/2018

BARBARA K.

It looks beautiful!!

Description of Work
treating/sealing & painting of exterior of cedar swim spa.

09/03/2018

Michelle F.

I hired Charter Painting and Restoration to paint the interior of a house I had just purchased prior to Move-in. In addition to painting the walls/ceilings/trim, there were two rooms (living room and bedroom) where the ceilings were cracked that I had wanted repaired - the bedroom also had a closet with a hole in one of the walls that needed to be repaired as well. Jim Charter, the owner, met me at the house to review work that needed to be done and to provide an estimate. From the start, I found him to be very respectful, professional, and helpful. Having been in the restoration business for several years, he was able to provide options and suggestions as to the best approach with respect to both the painting and the repairs. He was also able to identify areas that might not need to be addressed thus being respectful of cost. Price quotes for every room were documented and provided to me up-front thereby ensuring transparency/no surprises. No money was requested up front - all supplies are purchased and all work is completed with payment when the job is complete. The team was able to start work shortly after we met which was helpful as I was on a time schedule to move. Hector, the foreman, was very helpful and communicative as well - providing additional suggestions as to options for the ceiling repair. He even offered to install a new light fixture for me as I was replacing what had been there previously. The work was completed in less than a week and the results are beautiful. Would gladly recommend and/or hire Charter Painting again.

Description of Work
Painting, Ceiling Repair, Closet Repair

09/28/2017

Rosemary B.

We were very pleased with the work performed by this crew of professionals. They know what they are doing and they work well together. They worked quickly and efficiently, were always courteous and went the extra to ensure we were satisfied. We would highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Exterior painting of a 2 story aluminum-sided house and a separate shake-sided garage.

Category pressure washing, house painters

08/21/2017

Dennis L.

It was done on time and responsibly and was good.

Description of Work
Painting and re-align garage doors

08/01/2017

Laura B.

Detailed proposal completed as agreed. Prompt, professional staff. My only complaint is the debris left on the ground from power washing as well as debris left inside gutters.

Description of Work
Exterior trim on home and enter carriage house painted which included power washing, replacement of wood, priming and painting.

07/07/2017

LIsa G.

All in all it went very smoothly. Communication was good and there were no surprises. When looking at the house, I am very happy with how everything came out!!!!

Description of Work
Exterior of house

07/03/2017

Marsha H.

They were here for a week. The painters came in everyday for about five days when it did not rain. They did not come in at the same time. I had a driveway done, I had a my house painted, and a sidewalk put in. I had a lot of work done in the past month. The sad thing about this is that the man that owns the company who is Jim Charter is absolutely terrible. His competitors call him a snake of his establishment. The workers really tried, but you have to go through him to get to the workers. He's just terrible to deal with, you can't believe a word that he says. The people that work for him were good, but they did what he said. The guys were fine and they need a job, I had no complaints with none of them. They had like a intermediary boss that goes around to all the painting sites, and he was just like Jim. The guys that work for them was scared to even say anything, for example it was a really hot day and I brought out coke and water, and the intermediary wouldn't let me give them a coke or water. That's what I'm talking about. It was a tough situation, I couldn't even give them a tip. I would never use this company again. I'm really an easy going person, and that Jim Charter really had me going out of my mind.

Description of Work
They did restoration painting. I had the exterior painted.

04/25/2017

Chrsitine G.

excellent- Lou and his team were outstanding. Professional, friendly and went above and beyond.

Description of Work
Painting 3 homes including the exterior of one

Category pressure washing, house painters, interior painters

04/10/2017

Karen L.

Jim Charter is very thorough with his work and we found his pricing to be fair. He has great customer service and listens to your needs. We hired Charter Painting & Restoration to paint the exterior of our home as well as a bathroom. Jim's crew is on time, easy to work with and were careful to protect our windows and doors, etc. They were meticulous with their work and all work was completed satisfactory and without incidence. We were also very pleased with Jim's carpenters. They replaced damaged wood siding, including our entire chimney, and also built a beautiful contemporary mantel for our fireplace. We had a great experience with Jim Charter and his crew and highly recommend them!

Description of Work
Interior House Painting Exterior house Painting Carpentry

Category contractors, woodworking, house painters, interior painters

03/22/2017

Helen B.

We highly recommend the services of Charter Painting for your exterior and interior painting projects. Charter Painting has done work for us since 2006 when they painted our aluminum siding. The project was extensive and it came out perfect and still looks great. We have used Jim Charter for at least five projects and admire the workmanship and attention to detail and cleanup. Jim has always provided a detailed proposal, even including price options where appropriate, as well as a time frame for completion. Our projects have been large, small and, on occasion unusual, like staining our 20 foot swim room window frames, and all were performed with 5-star results.

Description of Work
Painted aluminum siding, various exterior and interior projects

Category house painters, interior painters

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for taking time to say such nice things. Jim

08/23/2015

Janis S.

The work done was in my home which is a condominum in South Windsor that is 30 years old. The ceilings were popcorn textured ceilings, these were scraped, prepared and painted. This work was done in 4 rooms along with hallways, the walls were also painted, and I am very pleased with the work that was done. Because my home was 30 years old there nail pops in the walls, these were fixed and the celings looks like new. The work this company did was awesome and I would highly recommend them. I was in the home when this work was done, they cleaned up after themselves each day and they were very nice and professional.

Description of Work
Interior painting, walls & ceilings.

03/02/2015

judith D.

There was a team of 3 painters, one of whom functioned as the primary contact. They came every day, worked the full day and there was no worry about the job being completed in an expeditious manner. Any concerns of mine were dealt with promptly and they were very polite, neat, and picked up after themselves after they finished each day's work.

Description of Work
Charter power washed and then painted the exterior of my home.

Category pressure washing, house painters, interior painters

12/01/2014

Neil C.

. The employees were very professional and did an excellent job of restoring the finish as new. They left the worksite very clean. Charter has done several other jobs for us and we have always been very satisfied.

Description of Work
Stained Gazebo

Category house painters, interior painters

11/18/2014

Charles B.

It went really well. I was able to do the prep work myself so all Jim had to do was wrap the house (windows & doors) and spray the house twice. They were very careful and meticulous. I got his number from doing an internet search and Jim promptly returned call and went over all the details so I decided to go with him and I'm glad that I did!

Description of Work
I hired Jim to paint the exterior of my home which is aluminum siding.

12/05/2013

Mary F.

Everything went well. He left me about 10 pages of references that i could call so i was very impressed with that. And he was professional as well.

Description of Work
Looked at walls that needed to be painted upstairs and the woodwork as well as the ceilings. Explained what kind of work he was going to do very well. He also came a little early so i felt that he was prompt.

Category hardwood floor, interior painters

04/02/2013

Douglas C.

Felt that owner was quite sincere in his approach to how work would be performed. Did not settle on the lowest bid for the job when we chose this firm. The painter did a nice job of enclosing the space and cleaning up. Unfortunately, when we indicatd we weren't satisfied with ceiling repair, there were a lot of excuses presented that did not make sense (way the light fell on the ceiling, original condition of ceiling made perfect repair impossible) and said he couldn't do any more without making it look worse.

Description of Work
Had popcorn ceiling refinished and a hole patched in a ceiling.

Category drywall, interior painters

In response to owner beginning from word "unfortunately ", all info not fully provided. When we removed section of ceiling to be repaired, two layers of drywall were revealed. That is not an excuse yet a reality. Much different circumstances than normal. The option to have us instal a new drywall ceiling declined. Lastly, my Forman offered, on his own time, to owner to return back to make another attempt to achieve improvement. Free of charge.

12/10/2012

Katherine B.

Purchased a LivingSocial coupon for $89, which would cover labor only, for service of up to two coats of paint and minor prep work of fixing dents and nail holes for one room at $89, and was not valid towards trim, ceilings and closets; cost of paint was not included. I negotiated the painting of a second, small room when I called to schedule the appointment. Mr. Charter fielded my phone calls personally, and assigned me the first available time on the company's calendar. The painter arrived on time, covered all my furniture and area rugs with drop cloths, and worked very efficiently. He applied the first coats of paint on one day, and to allow them to dry, arranged to come back the next day to finish. The work was well done, and I'm happy with the results.

Description of Work
Painting of two rooms; purchased one room of service as a LivingSocial coupon. Coupon included service of labor up to two coats of paint and minor prep work of fixing dents and nail holes for one room at $89, and was not valid towards trim, ceilings and closets; cost of paint was not included. Painter did minor prep work, and applied two coats of paint (self-purchased previously) to two separate rooms, the 2nd room price was negotiated separately from the $89 LivingSocial coupon.

10/22/2012

Anita G.

As the saying goes, "Quality, speed and price -- pick any two." At the time, for this job, quality and speed were most important.

Description of Work
Interior painting in a condo for my mother prior to her moving in. They were very responsive to the short time-line and did excellent quality work including repairing imperfections in the walls.

05/31/2012

Lawrence A.

Everything went very well. They were very professional and the price was competitive. Not the least expensive nor the most expensive. Toby did the work and he was very helpful in providing input regarding the color choice. He takes pride in his work and it shows in the final result. We had numerous plants and flowers around the house and he was very careful to work around them. He did a good job cleaning up after. He went above and beyond our expectations and would not hesitate to utilize him (them) again.

Description of Work
We had our aluminum siding painted by Charter Painting and Restoration last week. We called during the previous winter to get estimates and Jim Charter responded in a timely manner. He explained all the options in detail along with a quote. We told him were were getting other quotes and would make a decision before the spring. Around March we called Jim and told him we decided to utilize his services. He said they have other jobs that came first, but he expected to start the job no later than the end of May. Jim called the first part of May and said they could start May 24th. Our house is an 1800 square foot cape with a large dormer on the back.

Category pressure washing, house painters

11/18/2007

JERRY P.

The employees were represented to be long on experience and skilled craftsmen. They were not. Two of them were only there less than two weeks. Very little prep work was done (scraping old paint off woodwork, glossing windows, prepping doors). Only on my complaint did they do the preparation, and then only on the item of complaint. After the job was done and paid for I was told to call and, up to a year, call if there was a problem. After the winter (@6 months) I complained the porches and steps appeared to not have real porch paint. The foreman I spoke to said he would drive by and get back to me. Several weeks and months go by and no response. Bad work. Poor follow through. Unskilled help. Too expensive for the overall quality.

Description of Work
Spray paint two story stucco house, including wood work such as painting the windows, doors, porches.

07/06/2007

MICHELLE C.

The process was great - it went really fast: they power washed on one day, taped and covered the windows for part of a second day and spray painted on the third. The outcome is fantastic. The house looks like new and cost much less than residing the house. The painters were professional and courteous and the whole project turned out better than I had hoped for.

Description of Work
Charter painting recently painted the exterior of our small, aluminum sided house, including power washing, taping and covering the windows and doors and spray painting the siding, shutters and cellar hatchway door.