Bauhaus Construction

Founded 1976 • With Angi since July 2006

Bauhaus was found 1976 in Germany. Family Operated Licensed HIC.0660147. On Angie's List since 2006. Remodeling, General Repairs, Carpentry- Finish, Windows, Doors, Painting , Wall covering. Serving Hartford County www.bauhausconstruction.com Contact (860) 471-2070

Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

home remodeling (98)drywall (46)woodworking (44)interior painting (41)tile installation (29)door installation (28)window replacement (21)flooring (17)handyman (14)hardwood floors (10)countertop installation (10)basement remodeling (5)

11/29/2022

maria R.

I was impressed with Oliver's knowledge os work His work speaks for itself. I was pleased with his painting on the walls in my basement. He was very precise where he hung the pool table light on the ceiling even when the pool table was not in yet. He works with very goog professionals when he needs them. He' very conscientious in the work he does. I would definitely use him again.

Description of Work
Lighting, dry wall, painting.

Category lighting

08/03/2022

Lanh N.

Was very responsive with any questions i had. very professional and took the time to explain things.

Description of Work
remove range microwave replaced with range hood. Tiled missing backsplash

Category appliance repair, remodeling

Work Completed On 07/26/2022

06/05/2022

Christine C.

Oliver came out promptly and gave an itemized written quote. He completed the job using quality materials and the work was meticulous and excellent. His experience in carpentry was evident in the quality of the installation work and attention to detail.

Description of Work
Exterior Door replaced

Category appliance repair, handyman service, doors

Work Completed On 05/27/2022

Thank you very much for your review and hope to serve you in the future .

04/27/2022

Richard M.

I hired Oliver Beer of Bauhaus Construction after he initially did a ceiling repair for me at a condo I own in Manchester. The ceiling repair was complicated (see prior review on this project) and Oliver fixed the ceiling with a creative solution that the other contractors bidding didn't think of. Price wise, Bauhaus was more competitive than the other contractors. Based on my first experience with Bauhaus (Oliver) and after having numerous conversations about the rest of the condo which needed to essentially had to be gutted, I hired Oliver for this major project which took about 3 months to complete. Oliver works by himself, but he does the work of two people. The rehab project was complicated. The condo unit had extensive smoke damage which was a major challenge. The bathrooms needed gutting, pretty much new everything in the condo. Other contractors would have changed me $50-60k, but Oliver was not half that. Oliver is perfectionist with everything he does. The complicated paint job required as many as 5 coats of paint (on top of primer) and the popcorn ceiling was especially difficult. When the painting was done, the condo was unrecognizable from where we started. Along the way, Oliver had numerous design ideas that would not look great, but would cost effective. Oliver constantly went the extra mile searching out deals on appliances, cabinets, fixtures, tile and hardwood floors. Oliver used his many contacts to address unexpected issues that arose during the project (gas line issues, electrical issues etc). Overall, Oliver was phenomenal in all aspects of the project. I have recommended Oliver to 3 friends (and I never have recommended a contractor to anyone). Also, Oliver is going to finish my basement in my own home (the condo is rental unit).

Description of Work
I needed to do a full remodel of a condo with smoke damage and over disrepair.

Category bathtub refinishing, closet systems, drywall, electrician, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 02/01/2022

Thank you very much for the review. Yes it was challenging, after renting the condo for may years. I believe if things can be restored, there no reason to replace them. Bauhaus wishes you the best putting the condo on the market with an successful result.

02/23/2022

Richard M.

I had a difficult repair project in my living room ceiling with a large crack in one area and additional damage in other areas of the ceiling. I spoke with five contractors. Oliver Beer, who owns Bauhaus Construction came up with the best and most creative solution (and the most economical) of all. What differentiated Oliver was his overall vision of the project (which to start was a complicated ceiling repair, but the condo needed an overall major renovation). Oliver is a perfectionist and his attention to detail and thinking 10 steps ahead as well as his overall organization are unmatched with any other contractor I've dealt with in owning different homes over 25 years. Oliver has more than given me my money's worth and in fact, Oliver's work ethic and work product led me to hire Oliver for a major renovation / rehab of the entire condo unit including a very difficult top to bottom painting job (smoke damage), floor removal and installation, dozens of miscellaneous repairs, plumbing and electrical work etc.. Oliver also has lots of good connections and hooked me up with good deals on a container, vent cleaning and other services. Once that piece of the project is complete I'll post before and after pictures.

Description of Work
I had a large crack in the living room ceiling from a water leak

Category drywall, plastering, pressure washing

Work Completed On 11/30/2021

Thank you very much for your kind words. Always strive to do the best job is possible.

02/05/2022

Sean S.

We hired Oliver to close in our carport. From the very first day we had to correct his mistakes. He tried to leave insulation laying on our concrete slab under the addition saying that was done to let the insulation expand, didn’t flash the doors so we had to redo that work after he was gone, sold us on doors we didn’t need because he said they wouldn’t fit (we ended up ripping out the new doors and putting in the size we originally requested), didn’t backscrew the floor he put down after he said he did, stole materials off our property at 5am in the morning after he told us the materials delivered to our house were for our job alone and then he tried taking it to build a shed for a different job and we said he couldn’t take them, then came back again looking for more materials we paid for and was kicked off our property and told not to return, the list goes on and on. We had to call out the town inspector several times when we questioned something about the project and every time Oliver was wrong and had to redo the work. He was very unprofessional by the end, insulting us and making condescending remarks. He lied about submitting plans to the town inspector at the beginning of the project saying all was okayed for opening up an exterior wall and when the time came to open the wall he was unable to open the wall to the dimensions agreed because he had never actually submitted the plans he promised to follow through on. Then tried to say a more expensive option to get the dimensions originally promised wasn’t an option because the inspector said no, but we called the inspector and he said he had given Oliver several options for opening that wall to the dimensions requested. This is just a few of the problems we ran into with Oliver. The list is extensive. We would not recommend Oliver for any project. He seems very nice in the beginning but once things don’t go his way then beware. Best part of the project is when we never had to see him again.

Description of Work
Close in carport/ addition

Work Completed On 02/04/2022

Review for Bauhaus Construction - Manchester, Manchester, CT - 39619610

In the fall 2019 I was contacted by this customer to enclose an existing carport so that it could be transformed into a living room with an opening leading to the interior kitchen. We had preliminary phone consultations at which time he indicated that he would get back to me. I was then contacted in November 2020 again to re visit the project. Agreed that I would be responsible to build the skeleton. It included footings, floor joists, insulation, subfloor, sheeting, erecting 3 walls, opening the existing exterior wall into the kitchen, 4 windows and 2 doors. 1 exterior 5 step stairs with rail. I contacted the Town Building Inspector and requested that he comes out to the job site and go over the plan. I was concerned about the overall height between existing concrete slab and roof line and wanted to make sure that it meets code. Submitted a plan to the town and customer as this is required for the issuance of a building permit. When I purchased the materials for this job, I also purchased materials for another project. This purchase was made in December of 2020 at which time materials were starting to skyrocket to nearly 250%, it was important for me to secure a reasonable price. Up on approval from the building department. Started the job on January 8, 2021 true the winter weather conditions had some delays. Passed the 1st inspection for the footings, 2nd for the joist framing. Hired a contractor to perform the work of the floor insulation. His work was questionable, and I contacted the building inspector to come to the job site. I believed the insulation had not been properly installed and he agreed. After I corrected the issue I called for an re insulation inspection and passed. The 3rd inspection on 4. 6.2021 for the framing and sheeting passed. On 4. 15. 2021 I had the final inspection in the presence of the customer and passed. I am truly sorry for this customers dissatisfaction as I always strive to do the best job possible. Customer service is and always will be the foremost tenant of my company.

10/29/2021

Anabela C.

The job looks great. Very prompt and polite we had no issues at all.

Description of Work
General Remodeling

Work Completed On 10/29/2021

Thank you for the kind words!

10/18/2021

Molly E.

Oliver did a very nice job on our hand railings. He was very good about communicating with me on the finishes and stains. He has a great attention to detail and is careful and takes pride with his work. Overall we are happy.

Description of Work
hand railings for two different stairs

Category appliance repair

Work Completed On 10/17/2021

06/30/2021

Lori H.

Excellent work done to perfection could not be happier.

Description of Work
Front Porch Restoration

Category decks, electrician, lighting, remodeling, siding, pressure washing, woodworking, house painters, doors

Work Completed On 06/30/2021

Review for Bauhaus Construction - Manchester, Manchester, CT - 39388835

Thank you very much for your review.

06/17/2021

Brianne S.

Oliver did a great job for us. He provided a quick and competitive quote for having two doors replaced. He did a great job installing them and even came back to install the self closing hinges that the manufacturer didn’t provide. He was polite and friendly and will use his services again.

Description of Work
Replaced two exterior doors and locksets

Category doors

Work Completed On 06/17/2021

Thank you very much for kind words.

07/02/2020

Joe A.

It went very well. The results exceeded our expectations.

Description of Work
Remodeling of 2 bathrooms

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 12/02/2019

06/13/2020

Jeremy C.

They were fantastic. The work was done efficiently, accurately and professionally. He prides himself on giving the best service possible. He was able to give us detailed information regarding our project and walk us through step by step on how it could be completed. He was on time and very neat and clean with his work. Top notch service and work all the way.

Description of Work
Ceiling repair and painting

Category appliance repair, plastering, interior painters

Work Completed On 06/05/2020

12/02/2019

Teresa W.

Oliver Beer (Bauhaus Construction) put his heart and soul into our project to make it the best family room we could afford. His attention to detail is unmatched. Pricing was very fair and we trusted him to do the highest quality job. I am sure that he put more into our project than any other contractor would have. He had great design ideas, was highly skilled in carpentry and construction and made sure we got the very most for our money. He cared very deeply about doing the best job he could.

Description of Work
Converted garage into a family room

Work Completed On 09/01/2019

Review for Bauhaus Construction - Manchester, Manchester, CT - 38262242

11/09/2019

Denese H.

Perfect - as always. Oliver is very responsive, he works with you to meet your schedule & right-sizes the solution. I am always confident the work is done correctly & at a reasonable price. Oliver has performed work at my home several times, both small & larger jobs. He is my go-to guy for the reasons noted above.

Description of Work
Chimney Repair & Electrical Work

Work Completed On 11/06/2019

08/07/2019

Eleanor B.

Old slider had to be removed as it was defective. Oliver Beer removed the old doors and installed the new door. He added new insulation and replaced the paneling around the door. Work went smoothly. The new door is a dream to close and locks securely. Wonderful job was done. My husband and I are very happy with Oliver's work.

Description of Work
Slider on back porch needed to be replaced

Category remodeling, doors

Work Completed On 10/11/2019

08/06/2019

Eleanor B.

I called Oliver Beer of Bauhaus because he had done work for us last fall. He gave me an estimated price that was agreeable. Once he started work he discovered, that like the windows he had installed in our garage last fall, the bathroom needed more work than estimated. Because my husband was going to be released from rehab in a matter of weeks, it was work that needed completion as soon as possible. Oliver worked week-ends and the 4th of July, for a total of 30+ days, removing the old plaster and putting up new wallboard. He got the old tub out and put in a beautiful shower floor; installed a new heating element; ceiling fan/light; a new medicine cabinet, flush and vanity sink. It took him more than 300 hours to give us a showroom quality bath. Incidentally, he painted our living room so that it would be comfortable for my husband to spend most of his time in. This older house challenged him at every project he started, whether it was the plumbing, ceiling lights or lack of outlets in the living room. i will certainly hire him if we need more work done in the done in the future

Description of Work
Bathroom converted from tub/shower to handicapped shower

Category ceramic tile, electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac, insulation, lighting, plastering, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, ceiling fans, interior painters

Work Completed On 07/26/2019

Thank you for your kind words, enjoyed creating a space for your husband to live comfortably in. Yes older homes, plaster walls, outdated plumbing as well electrical makes it difficult. After all the updates the house now is save and sound which is our company's policy..

07/23/2019

William D.

Oliver has an amazing and refreshing pride in his workmanship. After he left, I sat there with a glass of wine and just admired the quality of his work. He left no stone unturned in his prep. He sanded down the stenciling my wife had done years before, primed over it, filled in any imperfections in the wall and applied two coats of paint. HIs quote was the exact same amount as another contractor, so we figured he was about market rate for the job.

Description of Work
Painting family room/dinette/kitchen

Category remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 07/15/2019

07/07/2019

Jan A.

Did the work asked for and more. Work of the highest quality and came up with inventive solutions that other bids did not.

Description of Work
Ice Dam repairs to multiple rooms ceilings and walls.

03/27/2019

Denese H.

I had hired Oliver a number of years ago and was very happy with his work. I reached out to him again for a variety of repairs and improvements. He was very responsive and thorough in his questions to understand my needs. His many years and a variety of work experience enabled him to provide different solutions and adjust to unique circumstances, as every home has them. I trusted not only his judgement but also his integrity. He takes great pride in his work and his attention to detail is outstanding. He is someone I was completely comfortable working in my home without me present. As a bonus, he provided wonderful daycare for my dog :o). I highly recommend Oliver - he's knowledgeable, dependable, trustworthy and does fantastic work at fair prices. Couldn't ask for anything more!

Description of Work
Wall prep and repainting of several rooms - walls, doors, trim and ceilings; wall repair & created access panel in utility room; radiator replacements in several rooms, replaced closet doors in (1) room, grout and caulking repairs in shower, ceiling panel repair in sunroom.

Work Completed On 03/27/2019

Enjoyed working at your residence, and apreachiate your review.

03/03/2019

Kimberly R.

We were looking for quotes for adding a half bath in the basement. We had several contractors out and were hesitant with the choices. We called Bauhaus and Mr. Oliver come over to quote us. He was knowledgeable, and thorough when quoting our project. He offered several suggestions as to how to complete our bathroom. What was most impressive was that that same evening he sent a couple text messages saying that he had done some research and gave us a few recommendations based on what our needs were including many pictures and options of what was available. He also included pictures of what the finished product would look like! He taught us throughout the process and educated us on the existing plumbing as this was a new home to us, having recently moved, and explained the new system he had installed. He warned us of products that weren't so great and ones he recommended- and was honest- he didn't always choose the most expensive option! He tried to save us money in smart ways throughout the process. We trusted him in our home alone. He worked hard, was kind, and cordial with us and our two small children who now ask, “When is Mr. Oliver coming back?”. His work is neat, done professionally, and it always cleaned up and organized when he left. He's the real deal. You won't be disappointed. We highly recommend him and will call him again and again for other projects.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel/Plumbing

Work Completed On 03/03/2019

Review for Bauhaus Construction - Manchester, Manchester, CT - 37743448

01/24/2019

Kit M.

Mr. Oliver was very punctual and meticulous with his job. He took charge of getting my basement back and after dealing with an unpleasant insurance rep, Mr. Oliver took care of fixing the walls, painting and carpeting. He was always calling or texting me to ask me questions about my preferences. The basement looks wonderful.

Description of Work
We had a water leak due to a burst pipe.. We hired another company to come and air dry our basement. This company left us a mess after they left. Then, I called Bauhaus Construction to help us with the basement.

Category remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 01/21/2019

01/21/2019

kit M.

Description of Work
We had a water leak due to a burst pipes. We hired another company to come and air dry our basement. This company left us a mess after they left. Then, I called Bauhaus Construction to help us with our basement.

Category drywall, interior painters