My Dreams Home Improvement

Founded 2005 • With Angi since May 2010

680 Westfield Ave

Bridgeport, CT 06606

My Dreams Home Improvement is a family owned, general contractor business licensed in Westchester County and CT. We've been in business for over 10 years and every year we're improving. We take great pride in our work, every job is handled professionally, and every one of our customers is treated

06/25/2020

Melissa K.

Julio and his team did a great job. They were thorough, punctual and courteous. I'm very pleased with the results and would hire them again for other projects.

Description of Work
Power wash, sand and paint entire house exterior; fix rotting wood on windowsills and other areas of house.

Category house painters

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for the thrust and the opportunity for complete your project with My Dreams Home IMPROVEMENT

07/11/2019

Chris K.

We decided to use Julio to completely gut and renovate our kitchen. From the day we met Julio, he was a very nice guy that looks to build a relationship, a lot can go wrong when you go this route, more than an average person can imagine. Once you tear up the floors and walls for plumbing or electrical, you really don't know what to expect. Its at this time that really puts in a lot of stress with your contractor whom you’ve done the best vetting and selecting the best one. This is when you want a guy like Julio on your side. His men gutted the kitchen, leveled the floor and laid down tile, replaced and installed a new window, fixed plumbing, installed cabinets and moldings, connected all appliances, installed knobs and faucet. EVERYTHING! He took the time and effort to correct many issues that arose over the renovation process of over a month and often went above and beyond to make our lives more convenient like installing a temporary faucet as we were waiting for the countertop. He owned up to his work and really was responsible for all the finishing work even when other trades were left to blame but gone. Hes a super nice guy, has a great team of workers that are punctual and professional, respectful and mindful of our family needs and was a great partner throughout our process. Definitely would hire again! Good job and THANK YOU!!

Description of Work
Kitchen renovation - complete gut

Category contractors, handyman service, remodeling, home remodeling

01/10/2018

Frank L.

Working with Julio was a pleasure. He was very accommodating to my schedule, and pointed things out and made suggestions throughout the project. He was very professional, keeping in constant contact as the work progressed, asking questions and giving status updates. I am very satisfied with the quality of work that he and his crew provided. The project included the following: - Sanding and painting of ceiling, walls, doors, and window and door frames in several rooms. - Fixed several doors that did not close properly. - Installed fireplace mantle (purchased separately). - Built and installed custom bookshelves on either side of fireplace, and stained to match newly purchased mantle. - Installed hard wood floor (purchased separately) and baseboards. - Installed wainscoting (purchased separately). - Leveled basement floor, put down overall skim coat and installed vinyl tiles (purchased separately). Thank you Julio, and your crew.

Description of Work
Painting, Flooring and Carpentry

Category handyman service, remodeling

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for choosing our services My Dreams Home Improvements improvement

12/13/2017

Christopher R.

Fantastic. I had several delays closing on my place, but Julio stayed in contact with me the entire time. I finally closed and we set a timeframe to get the work done. He was always very punctual and very communicative. He showed up right on time with his crew and they did a fantastic job. I think he went above and beyond in trying to take care as many of the little details as possible. This is my first home and it needs a lot of remodeling work done. Julio helped me take those first steps, and I cannot wait to work with him again on future projects.

Description of Work
Old wood paneling removed, plaster walls patched and old wall paper removed.

Category handyman service, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

11/15/2017

Cliff R.

They did a great job on the drywall, tub install, fixtures, vanity and so on. Nice tile job for the tub and floor. Painting and other misc work was done very well.

Description of Work
Julio's team remodeled our bathroom. Complete gut of the bathroom.

Category ceramic tile, home remodeling, interior painters

Thank you Mr Rodriquez for the opportunity and the trust .

10/25/2017

judith M.

I did not receive a message back and called and scheduled an apt for 10/25 at 9:00. It was a no show on the part of the contractor. It's unfortunate, they may do great work but I will not have the opportunity to find out. Please refund my purchase. Thank you.

Description of Work
I purchased the remodeling consultation and sent a message that same day to My Dreams Home Improvement.

10/01/2017

Al G.

Couldn't have gone smoother, the service was great, professional and punctual!

Description of Work
Interior/exterior painting, refinished wood floors, cleared contents from house

09/28/2017

S R.

Julio started working on our house with two bathroom remodels. His men on the job were polite, clean & very good at their jobs. We continued to give them more projects as we could see his company & employees are very capable: they did painting, carpentry, stone step repairs, moving furniture. Julio and his men have been accommodating with every request, large or small. He intuitively knows the right way to complete projects. I made mistakes along the way with material selection, he corrects any issues with no problems no hassels. He and his staff are truly good men to work with.

Description of Work
Two bathroom remodels, exterior & interior painting, wall paper removal, carpentry & wall repairs, window & fixture cleaning, glass cutting for window repair and stone step repairs, even moving furniture.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, handyman service, house cleaning, masonry, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, basement remodeling

08/08/2017

Paula W.

I hired Julio and his team for a month to do a whole-house remodel. Almost nothing went right. His disorganization, poor communication skills, overcommitment to multiple projects, and lack of motivation to appease his clients made up for what would have otherwise been mediocre workmanship. Let's start with the good. Julio's best work is in his tiling work. The only thing that went well in the project was the marble backsplash he put for me in the kitchen. Tiling work in other areas was less than perfect - the subway tile he placed in my bathroom was not even with the ground but sloped downwards, but it was too late to fix it once it was placed and by the time I had the chance to see it. He apologized for the error but did not clean up the grout his men left all over my ceiling. When I advised him of this mess, he pointedly advised me "I am not a painter" and I had to pay someone to paint over it. In another bathroom, I asked him to place groutable vinyl tile and even personally bought him the grout. Instead, he placed all the vinyl tile without the grout, and had to rip out all his work and redo it. I was hoping that more would go well in the kitchen, because lightning doesn't strike the same place twice right? My hopes were dismally disappointed when his labor took one entire week to assemble less than 7' of IKEA kitchen cabinets, intermittently rearranging them on the wall in incorrect order, only to replace them with another incorrect layout, despite the clear plans I had given him, and which his men were referencing on their iPhones. I had to personally show up at the job and correct their incorrect work at least three times throughout this process, an exhausting effort. Julio then complained to me that my project was taking too long, as if it were my fault. As part of the contract, he was also contracted to reface kitchen cabinets. Julio promoted himself as someone who "knew" how to do cabinets. I was sorely disappointed when the cabinets were delivered - the shaker paneling was hand cut with wavy lines, cabinet doors not of equal sizes, of varying depths. to his credit, he had warned that these would not look like machine cut doors, but I had no idea that his team would settle for such inferior craftsmanship. To this day, I am embarrassed by the cabinets but have little recourse now that tenants have moved in, and we have run out of time and money to correct them. However, aside from his frequent errors, the worst part about working Julio was his attitude. Balancing multiple jobs between Westchester County, Danbury and New Haven, he became incredibly stressed out and abruptly decided to take a weeklong vacation to Florida, for which he gave me one day of notice that he was leaving. I have completed multiple house remodels and have never in my life worked with a contractor who has made such an effort to chastise his client for his own poor disorganization, or who has made such an effort to pass onto the client menial tasks and procurement of supplies that are typically the responsibility of the contractor. He often dispatched me to procure at the last minute supplies he did not have, demanding that it was my responsibility to provide them. I would remind him that I was paying him to provide materials (Our contract said so), and that I did not have the expertise to select the materials he was asking for. When on occasion I would purchase something that was not to his standard ( a faucet I bought didn't have the right valve, for example), he would continue to chastise me. A month later, there are still multiple things left unfinished in the project. Half my cabinets still don't have handles on them because he ran out of the right screws for them and his team lost a lot of the handles I got them. In the interim, tenants moved in, which has made scheduling a chance to add the handles even more difficult. Julio's service and professionalism do not reflect the prices he charges. For the prices he charged, I could have hired someone much more professional, who would not have made me do so much work as a client (procuring excessive materials, constantly correcting his errors), who would have required much less supervision. Given his inferior organizational skills, he may be acceptable for small jobs, like a single bathtub or bathroom vanity install, but his prices are extravagant. After I stopped working with him, I was able to hire a local handyman with a much better attitude who did things like installing faucets and vanities for 1/3 the price that he charges. With contractors, you pay a premium for service, attitude and organizational skills. Julio did not demonstrate any of these benefits during my time working with him, and I sorely wish I had taken my business elsewhere.

Description of Work
-3x tile backsplash -kitchen cabinet refacing -install bathroom vanity and faucet -install bathroom light and mirror -install IKEA kitchen cabinets -new bathtub tile surround

Category handyman service

- $25,000 was the price for six weeks of work, not just one month. - the customer only visited the work site once a week despite Julio suggesting that she visit more often so that he could consult with her during the project. Julio would often ask her for her input and she would assure him that they were satisfied with the job being done. - the majority of the project was completed. If there is any incomplete work, it is because the customer did not call my father with a date and time to return to finish the work. He is still waiting. - it was explicitly stated that materials were not included in the final cost. It was agreed that the materials would be at the owner's expense. - the customer consulted with my father before purchasing the materials. He advised her to purchase certain materials but allowed her to purchase the materials that she wanted. Often, she ordered the wrong materials which would then have be returned, reordered, and shipped. This lengthened the duration of our project. In addition, deliveries would arrive in the evening while the work day would end at 5:00pm. - this includes the cabinets. Julio told her that the cabinets she purchased were not the best material and that he was reluctant to install them. He also explained that he is not skilled in woodsmanship and could only make very simple doors. Still, she insisted that she wanted him to do it. - the ceilings were never painted. Julio was told that someone was going to come in and paint the ceilings before they were dirtied. The customer later decided that she was not going to paint the ceiling. Julio offered to clean the ceiling, however the customer never called him back to finish. - half of the cabinet handles were installed. - if materials were needed, the customer would want Julio to purchase the materials with his money and promised that she would reimburse him. However, she was not punctual with these reimbursements or with payments in general. - Julio would stay after hours (5:00pm) to do complimentary favors for the customer such as moving furniture for her tenants. - Although the customer claimed that she was unsatisfied with the work, she contracted Julio for an additional project at a separate location. - My father did go on vacation to Florida for one week. At the time, the only project that needed to be completed was the installation of kitchen appliances, sink cabinets, and counter tops. However, the customer had ordered these materials and the work could not be completed because we were waiting for the delivery. Julio's vacation to Florida did not lengthen the duration of the project.

07/24/2017

Andrea G.

Julio and his workers were fantastic. They arrived every morning and got straight to work. I'm already planning on using Julio again for my kitchen remodel!

Description of Work
Remove old living room floor, put down new laminate floor, replace and paint new trim, build and paint a fireplace overmantel, tile fireplace, mount tv over fireplace

Category remodeling

07/21/2017

Laura R.

It went good. I had a little issue and they came back and fixed it. They are very reliable and easy to work with.

Description of Work
They did some rot repair work, replaced some fascia boards, and did some exterior painting.

Category contractors, house painters

03/22/2017

jennifer W.

Julio was very communicative when I called him for an estimate. He showed up as promised and listened to what I wanted done. He came on Friday to talk about what I needed done and his three man crew showed up on Monday at the time promised. They were also very professional, respectful, and communicative...answered any questions I had and responded to any areas of concern I had. They definitely got more done with better results than I would have on my own! I will definitely do business with Julio and his crew again!

Description of Work
Wallpaper removal, Sheetrock repair and prep for painting

Category handyman service, remodeling, basement remodeling

02/11/2017

Steven K.

Very well. Extremely professional. Showed up on time, very neat and very accomodating.

Description of Work
A variety of handyman items

01/06/2017

Rosalyn F.

Julio and his workers did such a great job. They came everyday on time. Very nice group of people and so easy to talk and joke around with. It really felt like having friends over. They made sure everything looked good and even fixed little problems that they saw even after they already painted. Most workers I have had in the past would have just left it alone but Julio always made sure to check that everything looked good. I recommend this company highly. They are a very responsible and hard working group of people and they always want to make sure that the customer is satisfied with their work.

Description of Work
Fixing up holes in the wall, repainting whole house and sanding/staining floors.

Category flooring contractor, handyman service, interior painters

12/12/2016

Dino G.

Excellent. Very professional. Punctuality was great and he came on the date and the time he said. Quality of work was great! Really impressed. Also kept work area (particularly inside the house) very clean. I considered his price borderline above average, but then again, you get what you pay for and I was extremely pleased. Would hire again in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
Tiling of a fireplace surround. Refurbishment of a fence around pool pumps and equipment

Category contractors, ceramic tile, handyman service, remodeling, woodworking

11/25/2016

Paul R.

The company is reliable. Crew shows up ontime and are very professional. Workanship is excellent. We will continue to use this company

Description of Work
Julio and his crew performed an number of interior renovation projects for us including bathroom renovations, basement renovations, paiting etc.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, flooring contractor, handyman service, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

11/19/2016

Alice T.

We hired Julio as part of an Angie's List deal. He did more than we contracted him for and, when it turned out there was a problem with some of the work, he came right back to fix it. We appreciate his professionalism, work ethic and the final product.

Description of Work
We hired Julio as part of an Angie's List deal. We needed some small repairs done to our kitchen.

10/16/2016

Asami G.

Pre-installed refrigerator cabinet trim was adjusted to accommodate new fridge for better fit. water line was installed under the kitchen for ice maker in the fridge. All old electrical outlets and switches in the entire house (aprx 2000 sq ft) was replaced and upgraded (separate fan/light switches with dimmer, GFI outlets, dimmers, etc.) New outdoor garage lights with sensor was installed with new electrical line.

Description of Work
General upgrade and improvements to a house I just moved in. Work involved indoor and outdoor electrical and various carpentry projects.

Category contractors, handyman service, remodeling, garage builders, house painters, interior painters, basement remodeling

10/13/2016

Paulette T.

He and his men are hard workers and dedicated to doing a good job. I recommend him to all my associates. If there are specific things, the homeowner needs to make sure they are clear on what they want. If you want additional work done, of course, you pay for the additional work but he is happy to do it. I trust him and his workers in my home.

Description of Work
This time he put in hand rails, painted and small repairs. He has done full kitchens for neighbors and my children. If there are changes or additions, he does a good job. He did a kitchen and bath renovations, changed a ceiling, 2 years ago for my son and continues to do work here in Westchester county for several Realtors and their clients.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, flooring contractor, handyman service, masonry, remodeling, garage builders, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, sunrooms, basement remodeling

09/05/2016

Craig W.

Julio first started working for us in 2011 when he prepared our house in Hastings-on-Hudson for sale. After we sold the home, Julio has done tens of thousands of dollars of work on our 100-year old home in Scarsdale. We have had a steady stream of work for him over the past five years and he and his crew have become like family. He has done a wonderful job and we hope to have home do more bathroom remodeling and other projects over the next couple of years on a project-by-project basis. His pricing is fair and reasonable and he is very reliable.

Description of Work
Bathroom and kitchen remodel, tile, exterior and interior paint, flooring, drains, basement finishing, concrete work, deck, replaced stairway, and repairs of plaster where electrician had opened walls.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, flooring contractor, masonry, remodeling, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, basement remodeling

01/21/2015

Jonathan G.

It went perfectly. They showed up on time, did excellent work, talked to me about everything they were doing, were friendly and courteous, charged a reasonable price, and provided me with an accurate bill.

Description of Work
Repairs to exterior woodwork of my house.

Category contractors, remodeling