Kellar & Associates LLC

Founded 2001 • With Angi since July 2009

4.2

21730 Longs Peak

Parker, CO 80138

Welcome! Kellar Associates is an innovator in residential construction we are changing how business gets done. As a General Contractor we are the organizer and leader of a great team. Successful projects are measured on a macro level and a micro level with pre-planning and managing details to

10/09/2014

William J.

Kris Kellar / Kellar and Associates, LLC ReviewAlso known as: [*** Link removed ***] signed a contract with Kris Kellar of Kellar and Associates LLC for a significant remodel on our house on May 12, 2014. According to the contract, the work was supposed to take 4-6 weeks and we had agreed on June 13 as a start date. Kris’s crews did start the work on June 13. Six weeks after the job began on July 25, the job was not complete. The job was bid and contracted as a lump sum contract based on a detailed scope of work. There were two significant change orders associated with the job that raised the price of the job by about 30%. We agreed to those changes and paid per the contract. However, in trying to negotiate those change orders, Kris attempted to charge us for items that he said were complete that were not completed – mostly consisting of some plumbing work that we did not request. As of July 30, we had paid 75% of the original contract value plus 100% of the change order values. The contract allowed us to retain 25% of the original lump sum contract price until completion. The job lingered in August and there were several scope items not completed, including trim work, paint/stain finish work, a door replacement and electrical work. In addition to these unfinished items, we had to push Kris on quality issues throughout the project – a few examples include drywall textures not matching, a railing that was not installed plumb, railing parts that did not match the existing railing in the house per the contract scope of work, cracked / split boards in the woodwork, and drywall tape seams still showing after finish paint. A door that is completely the wrong size was installed and we were told it would be replaced with the right door within a week – it is still not fixed and in the meantime, it is basically open to the outside allowing wind and rain into the house. These are just examples and there are many more items that were damaged or needed to be fixed that we had to repair or fix ourselves. Kris also had multiple disputes with subcontractors during the project and changed subs multiple times – trades that were changed mid-project included fencing, trim carpentry and drywall. On Aug 30, Kris emailed that he would not be able to complete the job because he was “out of credit with my subs and I don’t have any more money to invest from my other projects”. Then on Sept. 3, Kris again emailed and said he would be unable to finish the project, and that he was “temporarily closing my company.” Even though we have fully paid according to the contract terms, Kris left us with several unresolved payment issues with his subcontractors. We have to make our own arrangements to finish the job with other contractors – we did not want to manage this part of the job, which is why we hired Kris as a general contractor. Kris has not made available the contracts that he put in place with the subs, so it is very difficult to sort out who is owed what and if they have completed the scope of work that was agreed to with Kris. Since the last week of August, Kris has refused to answer phone calls or speak verbally with us to try to resolve this situation. Several of Kellar and Associates subcontractors have also told us that they cannot get in touch with Kris and he will not return their calls. As of October 8, 2014, the job is still incomplete.

Description of Work
Major home remodel including kitchen, decks, interior wall re-configuration, flooring, painting, woodwork and some electrical work.

Category decks, flooring contractor, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, doors

11/27/2013

Brian B.

I purchased a big deal coupon for this company. As far as I can recall it seemed to have gone well. I don't recall of having any issues. They did their job quite satisfactorily. They identified a number of times a problem, we were very busy so we were constantly out of town so they were trying to get a hold of us and we weren't able to talk to them, but we eventually got the final report and that was just fine. It worked well.

Description of Work
Kellar & Associates LLC for a whole home hail damage inspection.

11/05/2013

Geraldine M.

It was an Angie's List Big Deal that I purchased. I was really happy but then I had other people who were putting in a swamp cooler that were on my roof and they said I need a new roof right maybe in another year but he told me the roof is in good shape. It was like, who would you believe? I was happy at that time. The price was fine. He was very professional.

Description of Work
Kellar & Associates LLC came out and did a roof maintenance inspection.

10/01/2013

Russell D.

The work was completed and the company tech did a good job. They were very late arriving and I received no written report.

Description of Work
Inspect roof and gutters, clean gutters

09/26/2013

Bill C.

Roof went well overall...the did not do a great job on the deck painting as they missed many spots

Description of Work
Roof and deck repair caused by hail damage

Category decks, roofing

09/17/2013

Joan F.

It went just fine. They came out, looked at the roof and gave me their opinion on it. I had some difficulty with getting an estimate for a new roof. They would not answer the questions but kept asking if I was paying for it or who my insurance company was. I found it frustrating that they would not give me an estimate without telling them if my insurance company or I would be paying for the roof. They were punctual and it was easy to schedule the appointment.

Description of Work
I purchased a deal for a roof maintenance and an inspection.

08/19/2013

Art N.

He was very responsive initially, by bailing out and offering to give us our money back because the roof of our residence is a special stone-coated steel roof. We had to explain to him that we needed the work on a rental property house roof, not our primary residence. Once we told him that, he finally kept the money, and made arrangements to go fix the rental roof. The rental roof was not fixed.

Description of Work
Roof was to be inspected and repaired. We informed him that the roof leaked around a vent. He said he saw the problem and fixed it. The problem is not fixed. Roof vent still leaks.

06/05/2013

nina K.

fine, except I really needed a written report to submit to insurance. Thought I would get one but didn't. So, this was not all that helpful, although the guy was very nice, responsive, on time. Still need to get the roof inspected for insurance and probably replaced.

Description of Work
purchased coupon for roof inspection. gave verbal report

Category remodeling

06/03/2013

Alesha R.

My husband are looking into purchasing a home which needs some work. After calling everyone on Angie's List for a quote on mud jacking a driveway, Kris was the first responder and contacted me back within an hour. Not only was he able to give me a ball park figure, but educated me about what would be a serious concern on the maintenance of my home vs. esthetic. He took the time to explain what happens to concrete and why I would or wouldn't want certain thing done for the repair of my driveway which had sunk into the ground. Thank you Kris. Customer service and response time are one of the things that are vital to my husband and I.

06/03/2013

JUDITH J.

Chris Kellar was easy to work with. He was very thorough in his approach to the project. He worked with our insurance company to get an appropriate settlement. Two years later, we are still very happy with his work. Our house looks great!

Description of Work
Re-roof and paint house.

05/31/2013

Joe K.

It was quick and fast. They did what we asked them to do, they just looked it over and we asked them to report.

Description of Work
I had used Kellar & Associates, I think it was last summer.

05/22/2013

Lauren M.

It was fine. They put me on the top of the line because I had got the big deal from Angie’s List.

Description of Work
I got an estimate from Kellar & Associates LLC for home inspection.

05/21/2013

Robert L.

I think it was pretty light-weight and I had a roofing personnel later on that noticed several things that needed watching on the roof that they never mentioned so I'm not sure if they had that right, that good a job. I paid just what the original offer was, it was a Big Deal.

Description of Work
Kellar & Associates LLC just did a roofing inspection. They weren't doing any work. It was just an overall assessment regarding the condition of the roof.

05/21/2013

Robert B.

He did not came back and do what he said he was going to do. I would give him a negative review. I had spoke with him because I had my program cover that. All he wanted to do was sell me a roof and that was all he wanted to do. I just had him come out but he did not follow up what he said he was going to do. I did purchase a roof from somebody else. The price was not right because most companies would do a free roof inspection if you need. I felt that he was just trying to charge people saying that he will do some minor inspection and repair. His price was to high. He was right on time.

Description of Work
I used Kellar & Associates for roofing. I cannot remember the deal but he said he would do a room inspection and some minor repairs. He was suppose to come back and put in some boots around some of my vents on top of my roof.

Category home inspection, roofing

03/04/2013

marty C.

He said i needed a new roof, and said he would refund my $69 but he never did.

Description of Work
Inspected roof. He was at my house for less than 15min.

We are sorry that you were not happy with your service but I don't believe your review of our company was fair or accurate. You purchased a $69 coupon for a roof inspection that included maintenance on up to 4 penetrations. Your roof had been paid to be replaced years earlier by insurance which you didn't do the work and subsequently your roof failed which you knew before you purchased our coupon. Not only that but you insisted on being present for the inspection and then missed our first appointment so I had to come back twice. I took pity on your situation and as I explained to you at the walk Angieslist does all of the accounting money in and returns so I can only request a refund and that you would need to follow up. We hate to ever have a dissatisfied customer but there are limits on what we can do above and beyond without jeopardizing our lively hood and even though we requested a refund for you we actually fulfilled the coupon and earned our payment even if your expectations were different than what the coupon stated.

02/12/2013

Pauline N.

Kellar and Assoc. evaluated the hail damage I had on my roof and worked with the insurance company to set up and complete the repair. There were some unexpected issues once the repair work began, and Kris Kellar was able to take care of that too with no problems. Overall Kris Kellar was great to work with and his crewman/contractors were very good as well.

12/21/2012

Matthew A.

The inspection went well and I felt he knew his subject well. Fortunately, no work was required and he did advise on a related job that he felt should be done.

Description of Work
Roof Inspection

12/06/2012

Robin B.

They were very accomodating on scheduling the inspection, provided a detailed description of problems with the pictures and gave reasonable estimates. Would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Bought the Deal for the roof inspection and estimate.

12/03/2012

Keith K.

Consequently, he missed indentifying 15 broken cement tiles which leaked again and caused additional water damage inside our house because of his oversight.

Description of Work
Mr Kellar came out to our home but didn't get on our roof and simply guessed at what happened.

I will re-iterate our discussion onsite and subsequently by phone after you discovered "the broken tiles that your roof inspector found". Our coupon specificaly excludes tile roofs because the waterproof membrane is underneath the tiles so the only thing to inspect for is broken tiles to see if the sun is breaking down the under layment but I am unable to inspect tile roofs as many are because our size actually breaks the tiles in the inspection process as I am sure the door knocker inspector you had go up more than likely broke those tiles but there would never be any evidence other than they were all broke where he got on the roof and inspected. We did request your refund last year but we will also follow up again. Our apologies if we didn't communicate clearly or enough to be successful in helping you, we take pride in every job and do our best no matter what the price or the profit is!

12/03/2012

Neal W.

Keller and associates arrived on time and performed a visual inspection of my roof. The inspector caulked a few areas near my swamp cooler. When I told them about a small leak I just recently noticed on my ceiling near my chimney he took a look at it and recommended what needed to be done and the approximate cost if I did it myself or if I contracted it out.

Description of Work
Keller and associates had a deal to perform a roof inspection and also caulk any minor areas needing attention.

11/30/2012

Sara M.

Arrived on time, professional and punctual.

Description of Work
Provided us with an assessment of our roof in response to a hail storm. Advised us if repairs were necessary (in our case not) and explained the condition of our roof and how many more years/storms might happen before we would need to repair it. Had an excellent working knowledge of how to work with insurance agencies in the future if there is another storm, didn't try to up sell us on anything. Just a stand up guy doing honest work. One thing to know however, voice mail does NOT work for contacting this company. I despise using email to communicate because often is like a message in a bottle, never know if someone is going to read it or respond, but that really is the way to go. Email responses were punctual and detailed and usually in a few hours. I never had one voice mail returned.

11/19/2012

JOE G.

Kris is a pleasure to work with. Honest, conscientious, fair, and shows up when he promises, and good work.

Description of Work
Inspect roof; present when insurance adjuster examined roof; reapired roof damage

10/29/2012

Luain H.

It was fine. I called because he was on Angie's list and the price seemed right. I wouldn't have called him or anyone else if I had known my insurance company would do the inspection at no cost to me.

Description of Work
It was a simple roof inspection following the June hail storm. Gentleman who came was very professional.

10/29/2012

Katherine K.

Kris, the owner, was very easy to work with. My schedule is difficult as a business-owner and mom with a school-age child. Kris contacted me via email to initiate finding a good time to have him look at our home's roof. He was early for his appointment and got started with his visual inspection while waiting for me to arrive from work. He had a ladder set up and asked me to look at some blistering that was occuring on the roof. We discussed some possible venting and heat issues in the attic. We had a tankless hot water heater installed prior to this inspection, and it gave me great peace of mind to have Kris look at the protrusions related to that project and make certain that there were no leaks. We guesstimated that my roof is approximately 15 years old and that it may not need replacing right now. Kris did highlight for me that the gutters that were placed on the house were probably not done properly (and that more downspouts were likely needed to get water to where it needs to go...down...and not around so many turns and corners). It was advice appreciated! He also recommended a gutter cleanout and that in the future we may wish to get gutter covers (but not simply the mesh covers that sometimes trap more leaves than not). Kris was very, very helpful and gave me advice that was not really all about my roof. For instance, he noticed that my newly-laid mulch was coming up higher than my foundation and he suggested that I re-level it so as not to cause water damage/problems at the foundation level. He spent some of his time to generally chat about my home, including the age of it. We had recently painted the exterior brick, stained the fencing on the property, replaced the window screens, and generally made a nice visual update. As a general contractor, he mentioned that he can assist in various ways on home improvement projects. We specifically spoke about building onto the home versus making it a future rental. He was quick to do the math based on my home's recently-appraised value and he calculated that it would be financially all right to spend the remodeling money for more square footage (if we ever decide to go that route based on value and use). Obviously, this discussion was more than just about my roof. I appreciated the chance to speak with someone in the business who felt trustworthy to me. He seems like a very good guy. His parting words were that I could wait a bit on any roof replacement and, given Colorado weather, a hail storm may make that decision for us. Subsequent to this inspection, Kris emailed to me several vendors with whom he works (such as interior painters, drywall guy, handyman, etc.) for projects that I mentioned needing help with. Thank you, Kris!

Description of Work
Roof Inspection

10/26/2012

Janet B.

OVerall very good experience. The only delays were just in coordinating calendars/dates for the inspection. Kris was very flexible and was responsive to our outreach. We picked a date and time and Kris was very punctual and got right to work. He showed concern for our home, first walking through and around to determine the best access points. He walked every roof and provided a detailed verbal report. He was also open to discussing other projects - completed and planned.

Description of Work
Kris performed a thorough roof inspection as part of a Big Deal. He walked the entire roof and provided a detailed verbal review of his findings. Kris was also open to dscussing other remodel projects we had completed and others we were considering.