Controlling Systems

Founded 1976 • With Angi since June 2007

Established in 1976. For over 45 years Controlling Systems has served the Colorado front range, providing unsurpassed customer service and relentless pursuit of customer satisfaction. Heating, hot water heater and air conditioning service, maintenance, sales and installation

4.3

4.2

HVAC Companies (14)water heaters (1)

07/13/2022

Izabel K.

Every step, from the estimate with the super friendly Ryan, to the final walk-thru with the always professional Gemini, was absolutely top notch. They installed a new furnace, A/C, and tankless water heater and we are very happy with the work and final outcome. The whole crew was wonderful!

Description of Work
New furnace, A/C and tankless water heater

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

Work Completed On 07/12/2022

[Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. On behalf of all the employees at Controlling Systems, thank you for your business!

06/29/2021

Milton G.

The work done by this company, especially Roman & Josh, was professional, and nothing short of amazing. Overcoming a few obstacles, they went above and beyond to make sure the project was done the "right way". Their workmanship, cleanliness, and overall positivity says a great deal about their training. Management and ownership should be commended because everyone's efforts are noticed. Thank you so very much for a job well done.

Description of Work
AC installation

Work Completed On 06/22/2021

06/28/2018

Melissa S.

We had an excellent experience with Controlling Systems from the first phone call to our install. All the professionals were prompt, friendly and hard working. We had a lot of questions throughout the process and they answered every one. The prices seem right in line with the industry and we were overall very happy with their work.

Description of Work
Air Conditioning and Furnace Replacement

Work Completed On 06/26/2018

06/19/2014

Travis P.

Fixed the air conditioner to work and it was fine.... Wanted to reduct my entire house instead of install the ductless system upstairs like I requested. Told me the cost of either one would be $3000, but that re-doing the ducts would only improve the problem by 50%. I opted for my original request and when he called me back, he doubled his price for the ductless AC system from $3000 to $6700 and said he wanted to re-do my ducts instead. I called two seperate contractors who confirmed: 1. There was nothing wrong with my duct work, and 2. The ductless unit should cost about $3000 not $6700. Very disappointed in the company and Gus.

Description of Work
Fixed airconditioner and was asked to install another ductless air conditioning unit upstairs.

Work Completed On 06/08/2014

07/08/2013

Robert K.

The repair was made. Sean, the service tech was courteous and professional and obviously knew what he was doing. He replaced the circuit board which took less than 1/2 hour and for that I was charged $597.00. Thinking that the circuit board was pricey (Sean, the service tech indicated so), I thought the repair bill of $597 was reasonable. Only after calling some stores (the next day) and finding out a circuit board cost $125 did I realize I got ripped off. Controlling Systems labor charge for 1/2 hour work amounted to $472. I called the owner/guy in charge to request a refund for part of the labor charge. (I really didn't expect to receive anything) Not only did this person(whose name I wished I remembered, I would state it here) not want to hear my complaint, he hung up on me because he knew he ripped me off. He was rude and didn't want to hear my complaint. He obviously didn't want to hear anything I had to say, only stating that I agreed to the repair charge beforehand. To that he's correct, I did agree to the charge but when I asked Sean what was the cost of the circuit board, he said $250-300. Now I know parts are marked up when purchased through a company such as CS but I still believe this company took advantage of me. ( and probably hundreds of others out there). Controlling Systems did not provide parts cost, labor costs, etc in their estimate which they used to (I had used them 3 years ago, but I won't ever use them again) Future potential customers take heed: I WOULD ALWAYS REQUEST THE ESTIMATE REPAIR BILL BE BROKEN DOWN to parts cost, labor cost, etc. And if they tell you they can't provide that, that's a good sign you're being overcharged. Normally I am careful about negotiating and reading the fine print, etc. but this day I was distracted and the temperature was in the teens. I wanted the furnace fixed and I didn't have time to get estimates. Also if I hadn't used Controlling Systems I would have been charged the $100 diagnostic(service) charge. Lastly, Sean intially quoted me $700. When I told him I was going to get other estimates, he lowered the estimate to $597.

Description of Work
replace circuit board for furnace

Work Completed On 03/23/2013

[Member name removed], Thank you for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Needless to say I was concerned with your review. I understand that today, with the internet, customers have access to approximate costs for some parts and pieces needed for repair. What you need to know is that the cost of the part is only a fraction of the total cost of repair. The cost includes the training the technician needs to properly diagnose the problem, the necessary insurances, the vehicle and fuel to get to your home as well as picking up the part, the office, staff and technologies to operate and provide historical data. This list goes on and on. No profitable company sells its parts and services for what it cost them. If they did they would be out of business. If we are out of business we can't honor the 2 year part and labor warranty we offer on repairs that we do. The price we quoted you for the replacement board is a very competitive quote compared to other HVAC companies in the Denver market. As far as your phone conversation with someone in the office. I sit centrally located in the office and hear a majority of the calls that come in, and don't recall any conversations ending by hanging up on the customer. I have worked very hard to create a customer service focused company. Based on reviews from multiple services, I think we have done a great job instilling the value of customer service. If that happened I truly apologize and assure you that had I heard that conversation there would have been repercussions for that that employee. I hope this explanation helps you understand our pricing a little better. I also hope that next time we do work for you it results in a far better experience. Please feel free to call me with any questions or concerns. Thank you again, Bill East President Controlling Systems Inc. 303 762-1421

02/25/2013

Kevin S.

Controlling Systems was one of four different companies that we contacted for quotes on a furnace replacement. Although we have a complicated layout (hard to get to combustion air), Gus at Controlling Systems wasn't fazed in the least. He was clear, concise and professional ? amending the proposal as i learned more and changed my needs based on what I heard from other contractors. In the end, Controlling Systems had the lowest price (in fact, nearly $1000 less for a Rheem 95% Eff. continously Variable, Dual Stage system than another contractor quoted for an 80% system) and the fastest turnaround time. The team arrived onsite at the time promised, removed the old system (not easy in my house) and installed the new system complete with new combustion air in about 6 hours ? less time that they projected and a full day fasted than another contractor quoted.

Description of Work
- Remove old furnace - Install new furnace - Install combustion air - Install drains & condensate filters

Work Completed On 02/11/2013

09/20/2012

Barry F.

Outstanding.

Description of Work
We used this company in our previous home where they installed a whole house a/c system and did an excellent job for a fair price. We were very happy with them and never had an issue after the install. When our furnace quit running in our new home, we used Controlling Systems. They found an electrical short in the wiring which they fixed and then they tuned up/cleaned our furnace, both for $250. Unfortunately, we called another company first (Westside Heating and A/C) because we had forgotten about Controlling Systems. Westside told us that the mother board was shot and we should consider a new furnace in lieu of the expense to replace the mother board in an 8 year old furnace. Humm, soooo glad we remembered Controlling Systems. They saved us thousands of $$$$. We had them out again this past Spring for preventative maintenance on our a/c system ($100) which proved to be working ok and needed no additional service. So, to make a short story long, we have used this company three times and have always been happy with their service, prices, punctuality, professionalism and most of all, their honesty. We won't forget them next time we have an HVAC need.

Work Completed On 05/15/2012

09/16/2011

joy B.

They are great. They come out the day we call. They do excellent, honest work. I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
They are my regular HVAC company. They also do plumbing. We have gotten a new furnace from them and they have done HVAC work in our attic.

Work Completed On 03/01/2011

09/03/2010

Laurie S.

So far as I can tell, the quality of the products and the quality of their installation was fine. The furnace includes PVC pipe venting both to bring combusting air into the furnace from the outdoors and taking exhaust gases outdoors through another PVC pipe through a concentric vent in the outside wall. This process is designed to prevent any exhaust gases in the basement or any bad negative air pressure in the basement. The furnace is an energy star with 95 percent efficiency. The only negative aspect of all this was Controlling Systems' behavior relating to scheduling as described in the section above.

Description of Work
I phoned Controlling Systems for an annual maintenance check on my gas furnace and air conditioner. Sean did that on July 13 for $179.90. While here, he also described the $2100 in rebates and tax credits I could get by buying a high efficiency furnace before the end of 2010. After thinking about it, I phoned Cont. Sys. back on July 22 to ask for the installation of the new Carrier furnace. We scheduled a date of July 27. On July 27, they phoned saying they had a scheduling mixup and rescheduled intstallation for July 29. On July 29 they installed the new furnace plus a humidifier and thermostat--except that they did not have the humidistat. Cost was $4465.12 after subtracting the $179.90 maintenance charge for the old furnace. They scheduled the humidistat installation and delivery of the rebate paperwork for August 5. They did not show up on August 5 nor phone. I phoned to ask what happened; they said the humidistat had not come in but offered no explanation for not contacting me. They rescheduled for the next day, August 6. Again, the scheduled time came and went without their coming or calling. Again I phoned to ask what happened; again they said the humidistat had not arrived. This time they said the would wait til they got the humidistat before scheduling its installation. Instead, Sean arrived at my house on August 9 with no notice whatever as to his coming; I only happened to be home. He installed the humidistat but said he did not know he was to have brought the rebate papers. The next day, after phoning ahead, he brought the rebate papers.

Cost $4,645.02

Work Completed On 07/29/2010

10/04/2008

HALEY & MATT H.

Controlling Systems was very easy to work with. They worked with our budget and needs and tried to get us the best price for our unit. When we called with a competitive quote (lower) but wanted to go with them, they were able to add an additional discount. The sales person and installers were both on time and very courteous. They covered the floors to protect them while they worked, and cleaned up after installation. After installation, the installer showed us how to use and maintain the system. We will definitely use them again for maintenance.

Description of Work
Installed A/C Unit into existing system.

10/03/2008

KAREN K.

They provided a detailed bid. They were very professional. The bid I received was $3850.00.

Description of Work
They provided an estimate for furnace replacement with a Carrier brand.

07/15/2008

David W.

At first, I thought they had done the work properly. Then the humidifier wouldn't turn off when it was supposed to, causing a lot of condensation to run onto the basement floor. Turns out the wiring was done incorrectly, which they fixed at no charge. Several years later, I noticed that many of the sheet metal screws in the duct work above the furnace were coming out, causing a lot of air leakage. And a city inspector noticed that another relatively minor element of the installation was done incorrectly. When I called Controlling Systems, the person I talked to was perfectly friendly and responsive. He offered to correct these problems and to install a different filter box on the side of the unit. My wife was at the house when the work was done. When I returned home, i discovered that the work had been done very sloppily. Duct mastic had been applied haphazardly and spilled on the basement floor with no apparent attempts to clean up the spill. And the new filter box was a joke. The filter that the technician installed was entirely too small, so the air was just going around the filter instead of through it. It just seemed that there was absolutely no pride of workmanship, so we'll be going elsewhere for our new air conditioner.

Description of Work
Replaced our furnace and added a humidifier.

08/09/2007

PAT C.

I would highly recommend them. They were pleasure to work with!

Description of Work
They put in our new A/C system.

06/26/2007

JANE J.

Our a/c now works so well it feels freezing at seventy five degrees. I am real pleased with the work this company did. They are detail oriented, they catch small problems and they charge good prices. I would hire them any day for heating or air conditioning work.

Description of Work
Our a/c unit wasn't really working that well due to a pin sized leak that had occurred on our roof. This company repaired that leak and added Freon to our unit.

Contact