COAST LANDSCAPE

Founded 1982 • With Angi since September 2004

3.3

P O BOX 1332

Vista, CA 92085

5% DISCOUNT WHEN YOU MENTION THEIR WEBSITE....

06/18/2013

Bruce M.

This contractor not only did work that was well short of what their own guidelines called for but then despite the fact that the contract that they wrote provided for law litigation without arbitration, I pointed out their shortcomings to them and said I marked out 2 different 3x3 foot areas in which they were supposed to have planted and the plantings were clearly deficient. The 3x3 foot areas were only examples of a much, much larger 2500 square foot hillside. The whole hillside was deficient. Rather than saying we will take care of that, we recognize it, we failed you in this, maybe we did not get it right but now at this point, we can't redo it right because to go back in there and replant the areas, we'd step on all the plants that we already planted and that would damage them, and it just wouldn't be right. I looked at them in disgust and said you have control over the job, from start to finish, I pointed these things out to you along the way, you would have paid attention and now you want me to pay you for the whole job on the basis of plantings. Only 13 plants were planted in the area that was required to have 23. I said I'll pay you 13 20/3 of the contract and we'll be done with this. They had sent one of their representatives who is actually the brother of the CEO out to me that day to resolve it. We said that was what we're going to do and we shook hands on it and I worked at my office and I wrote a one-page agreement basically discussing exactly the terms and I mailed it to them. You sent me an invoice that shows 13 20/3 of this, I'll pay it and we'll each go our separate ways. It didn't stop there unfortunately. Apparently the brother went back and got hold of the CEO and the CEO said we can do better than this and despite the fact that the contract that he wrote called for arbitration rather than litigation. This company filed a lien against the property with no attempt whatsoever to make any engagement of arbitration and I protested to him and said that the contract that he wrote was for arbitration and we can't do that because it's going to cost much more than the amount of money in dispute in this contract. We can't be bothered by this, it would cost too much money to arbitrate. After that, out of coincidence I learned that there was a service in my city that offers free arbitration to any disputing parties that have some neighborhood dispute that they want to settle. I called the city, spoke with the folks in the program and they said it is the sort of thing that they were willing to take on, mediate, and decide, and we do it for free. It's just one of the services our city has to offer. Everybody involved in this had been a professional mediator and they happen to reside in the city, it is just one of their ways of getting back to the city and making it a more pleasant place. The folks of the arbitration department of the city called them and they refused to participate in the mediation to settle the dispute, that was because they filed the lien against the property despite the fact that the lien was specifically prohibited by the contract that they wrote. After weeks back and forth over the lien, I finally went to personally visit the CEO. I said it's a dismal that you won't even honor a deal made with a handshake made by your own brother and you won't even honor the contract that you wrote in this, I don't have any further to do with you and you don't want to have further to do with me, let's finish the deal. I will give you the 13 20/3 of the contract if you'll drop the lien and it was agreed and I paid him a cheque of half of that and I told him he'll get the cheque for the other half. It was a cashier's cheque so there was no doubt about whether the funds were good. I showed him both cheques, I had the other one in my hand. I would give the other cheque when the lien is cleared. Ultimately, the lien was cleared from the property and I sent him the second cheque in between the time that we had that conversation and the second cheque was sent to him after the lien was cleared, the company moved. They changed addresses, they never bothered to notify me that they had changed addresses so when I sent the second cheque to finally finish getting rid of them, it came back to me marked undeliverable as addressed because they moved. In the mean time, they thought that I had failed to pay the second payment because I haven't sent the cheque. Even though they moved, they never mentioned that to me and had never given me a new address. What they did then despite the fact that I had an agreement with them in writing which said that they would not come within 100 feet of the property, they came back and their workers poured pounds of unwanted grass seed over the whole area to basically add weeds to all this area that I had asked for planting in in a specific ground cover. They frightened the tenants on the property to the point that the tenants moved out because they had gone up on the property and they had turned off the irrigation system to the whole property. Then the weed seeds that they had planted which at that time the tenants thought were fertilizer, started to grow and I had 2500 square feet of hillside sprouting out unwanted weeds that I couldn't kill. If I would kill them, that would kill the original planting so I finally found a way to track them, found the new address, sent them the cheque and told them don't ever come here again. They did malicious mischief to the property that they had been hired to improve after they so stupidly neglected to notify me of the new address where I should send the money that they were expecting. I never argued with them on the price. I was willing to pay the price that they suggested. They never came through on what they said they'd do, it makes price irrelevant. I hired them because the father of the CEO had been a longtime personal friend. I was ill and I needed a heart operation and I was so sick that I could not complete the work myself so I hired them when I went in to the hospital for the operation. These people are so unscrupulous that they are willing to do this level of malicious mischief even though they had signed an agreement printed in black and white that they won't go on the property. I don't want to have contact with them, I don't want to mention them, I don't want to bring my complaint to their attention and give them cause to come back and perform more malicious mischief. I spent the last month and a half on my hands and knees on that 2500 square foot parcel pulling out the weeds that they deliberately planted and I still got remnants of weeds, they're popping up and need more attention day after day. I don't want to do that again.

Description of Work
I hired Coast Landscape to do plantings in 2 different 3x3 foot areas.

Category landscaping, lawn service

10/25/2008

STACY W.

Work went as scheduled and within budget. He also coordinated with our pool installer so everything went smoothly. He responded quickly when I called with questions.

Description of Work
We wanted to redo our backyard landscaping. Mike helped us work out a design, making practical and economical recommendations. He redid the irrigation and laid a stamped concrete patio.

04/26/2008

Theodore O.

The original contracted price was $60,000. After commencing, Coast Landscape's president, Mike Sharp, claimed that he accidental underbid the project because he used the wrong scale (1/4 instead of 1/8). He said he had to pay more for concrete, wood, everything, so I had to pay him more money and ended up getting far less then what was contracted for in terms of items such as artificial grass. Although the overall job was good, the problems having to do with the price (see above), the faulty construction and installation of two wooden gates and his failure to respond to my requests have spoiled the positives. The problem with the two gates has been long standing. Within one week of installation, two of the three gates began to sag. His crew tried to fix them once, but only to have them sag again, one not opening or closing correctly at all (rubbing against the side completely and failing to close without forcing the gate up to re-close). I have called Mike several times to have them come out to fix it, but they have yet to respond to my requests. I rated this company a D in price because he did not stick to the contract price and I felt pressure and duress to have him complete the project. I rated the company a C in Quality of work because I have yet to get them to fix simple gates which should have been installed correctly, let alone fixed when given the chance to. I rated the company a D in responsiveness because they have yet to respond to my requests to fix their mistakes. I rated the company a C in punctuality because he promised to complete the project in 6 weeks, it took him eight, and they have yet to respond to my requests to fix the problems after several requests to do so. I rated the company a D in professionalism because they have not responded to my requests upon repeated requests, which I find highly unprofessional, as well as the fact that they broke an exterior outlet cover but never informed me of their mistake, let alone offer to pay for it. The overall experience is a D plus to C minus at best, I rated him a D for his customer service and failure to keep his word.

Description of Work
Complete front side and backyard landscaping, including wood patios, stucco walls, concrete deck and paths, installation of trees, wood gates, plants, etc.

Category concrete repair, decks, landscaping, tree service, stucco

04/26/2008

Theodore O.

Description of Work

Category concrete repair, decks, tree service, stucco, hardscaping

11/18/2007

Robert D.

See above.

Description of Work
Although an estimate was submitted, I did not pick this company because I checked, and the contractor had a suspended license at the time of estimate. It was never mentioned by the contractor.

11/19/2006

RON R.

THINGS WENT WELL, EXCEPT SEVERAL WEEKS AFTER, IT WAS OBVIOUS THE TRAILING ROSEMARY PLANTS, WHICH WERE TO BE PLANTED WERE NOT. A BRUSH VARIETY WAS USED. NUMEROUS E-MAILS AND PHONE CALL WERE MADE TO REQUEST A CORRECTION OF THE PROBLEM. MR SHARP STATED TRAILING AND BRUSH ROSEMARY ARE THE SAME. HE WAS SENT INFORMATION SHOWING THE DIFFERENT VARIETIES OF ROSEMARY, AND STILL HAS NOT EXCHANGED THE PLANTS. TRAILING ROSEMARY DOES NOT ATTAIN A HEIGHT OF OVER 1 FOOT. BRUSH ROSEMARY ATTAINS A HEIGHT OF 3 FOOT OR MORE. WHY COMPLAIN? BECAUSE ALL OF THE LOW LYING PLANTS BEHIND TO 3 FOOT HEDGE OF ROSEMARY CANNOT BE SEEN, OR GET PROPER SUN LIGHT. WE ARE NOT TALKING MEGA BUCKS, 30 ONE GALLON ROSEMARY'S RUN $3-4 EACH. HOWEVER, AFTER SPENDING $3000 TO HAVE MY LANDSCAPING DONE, THE RIGHT PLANTS SHOULD HAVE BEEN PLANTED.

Description of Work
REMOVED TOP SOIL AND REPLACED WITH NEW SOIL. PLANTED ROSES, ROSEMARY, AND OTHER PLANTS.

10/31/2006

DANIEL S.

I spent a month working with this guy to get him out to do the work. He was never the most responsive and would never give me a start date. Eventually I just stopped calling him and he never called me back. Nice guy, but I wish if he didn't want to do the job he would have just let me know sooner rather than stinging me out while he made up his mind.

Description of Work
Had him give an estimate for fixing a drainage problem in the back yard, installing a gate in the back yard and building a small wall.

Category fencing, hardscaping

08/02/2006

ROBERT H.

My wife and I were very pleased with the results when we arrived home late at night to a beautiful landscape accented by spot lights. Mike was very pleasant to work with. He kept to the schedule agreed upon; actually the work was done one day with great rapidity. I did not feel that the cost was rock bottom but considering the expertise and labor it was probable quite reasonable.

Description of Work
Mike Sharp, President, provided needed advice and brought plants for our consideration. His team removed several large shrubs and cleaned up area approx. 30'x5'. Team laid down topsoil and planted area with shrubs, ground cover, and an ornamental tree. Five lights were purchased and installed.

Category landscaping, mulch

05/24/2006

Lauren K.

He seemed like a "fast talker" and I felt wary of him, but was willing to give him the benefit of a doubt. When he didn't show and I found out his license was suspended my suspicions were confirmed.

Description of Work
Set up appointment with Mike Sharp-owner and he canceled on day of appointment due to heavy traffic. Rescheduled for a couple days later at 3:00 and he never showed. At 5:30 he called like nothing happened and asked if I wanted him to come over. He didn't apologize or give a reason why this happened. I decided not to use him. In addition, Sharp's contractor's license is currently suspended by the state of California for failing to provide Workman's Compensation for his employees. This information was current as of 5/19/2006.

Category lawn service

01/18/2006

KATRINA K.

Mike returned my call and came out to look at the site right away. He was willing to listen to what I wanted and took the time to talk through what would work for our yard. Mike seemed very knowledgeable and I have every confidence that Coast landscaping would have completed the project with great results. We decided to use a different company that was highly recommended by several of our neighbors, (they also gave a lower bid). I would gladly consider Coast landscaping for future projects.

Description of Work
I had Coast landscape give us a bid on a backyard remodel. It would include concrete demolition, installing a new concrete patio, retaining wall, concrete steps, drainage and irrigation system.

Category hardscaping

09/26/2004

SHEILA T.

THEY ARE DEPENDABLE, AND PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS. THEY WILL DO SMALL EXTRA THINGS FOR ME, LIKE PLANT SHRUBS OR FIX SPRINKLERS, WHEN I ASK THEM TO, FOR NO EXTRA CHARGE. I HAVE A LARGE YARD AND IT ALWAYS LOOKS GREAT.

Description of Work
THIS COMPANY MAINTAINS MY WHOLE PROPERTY ON A WEEKLY BASES. THEY DO EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH MAINTENANCE, MOWING, FERTILIZING, TRIMMING, PRUNING.

Category lawn service

09/08/2004

THEY DID A GREAT JOB GETTING MY LANDSCAPE CLEANED UP. THEY SCHEDULED MY PROJECT REALLY FAST! THEY WERE ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF THINGS I HAD OVERLOOKED. MY HOUSE LOOKS GREAT, THANKS TO THE GREAT LANDSCAPE. MY REALTOR CAME BE TODAY, AND WHILE I WAS EXPECTING A LIST OF TO DO'S SHE SAID EVERYTHING LOOKS GREAT! WE SHOULD BE ON THE MARKET BY THE END OF THE WEEK.

Description of Work
LANDSCAPE CLEAN UP TO LIST HOME FOR SALE.

Backyard Builders SD

Backyard Builders SD is a locally owned company started by a group of contractors that really care about a whole home improvement. We have narrowed ourselves down to being the best in the business at Turf and pavers. We have the visions to bring back yards and front yards to life. We have putting green experts, we have paver experts, we have sports turf, pet approved turf, and over all best looking turf on the market.. No job is too little or to big for us as we have team that extends up and down the coast of California. Overall our specialist will bring your dream yard to life and that is what we’re here for! We are the Turf Squad!

Integrity Pavers and Turf

Integrity Pavers & Turf has over 11 years of hands on experience as a landscaping contractor. Integrity Pavers & Turf projects involve hardscape, landscape, masonry, artificial turf and all your other landscaping desires. Integrity Pavers and Turf takes pride in all the projects they work on, making sure every detail does not go unnoticed and provides you with an affordable, quality outdoor installation.

Approved Contractor, Inc.

Everyone wants to improve the look of their home and its energy efficiency. While many California residents share these goals, they don't know where to begin to make these goals a reality. Are you looking for a window installation and exterior coating contractor company that is fair, honest and hard-working? What about technicians who are always on time, stand by their word, and have won the "Super Service Award?" In all of these categories, Approved Contractor measures up. Whether you have a specific window in mind (we carry all lines of windows) or simply wish to cut down your energy bills, our window installation services are exceptional. Our texture coating services are sure to leave you loving the look of your house again, will keep the inside of your home cooler, and are able to withstand all kinds of elements. License #952272

Offers by Approved Contractor, Inc. on Angi

CLEAN-UP, BASIC GARDENING, SODDING, HYDRO-SEEDING, FERTILIZATION, MULCHING, LANDSCAPES, LIGHT SCAPING, UP LIGHTING, IRRIGATION SYSTEMS, DRAFTING, REPAIRS, CUSTOM POOL BUILDING, AREA PREP, WATER FEATURES, PLANT, TREE & SHRUB RECOMMENDATIONS, RETAINING WALLS, DRAINAGE SYSTEMS, MASONRY, STONE, CUSTOM-BUILT FIREPLACES, PONDS, TREES & SHRUBS, FLOWER BEDS, ROCK GARDENS, BARK, RIVER ROCK, GRAVEL, TOP SOIL, FILL DIRT, MOWING, TRIMMING, EDGING, RAKING.