MoonDance Painting

Founded 2005 • With Angi since September 2011

4.3

4333 Doolittle St

Santa Rosa, CA 95407

MoonDance Painting is your source for superior quality painting services and unmatched customer service. We specialize in using low- and no-VOC paints as well as environmentally friendly painting practices - minimizing waste, using non-toxic cleaners and materials, and disposing of wastes properly. Contact us today to learn what we can do for your home....

05/30/2018

Renee S.

Many items were not completed as per contract. House started peeling in places after 2-3 years. Trim work was never prepared correctly and therefor bubbled up in spots. I am sorry, but I can not recomend this company.

Description of Work
exterior painting of home

Category pressure washing, house painters

03/27/2017

Barnett L.

At $90/hour this is the most expensive painter my wife and I have come across in Marin County. (other licensed painters generally charge closer to $50/hour). The quality of their work is, in our opinion, averge at best. After several jobs, the owner convinced us to use a time materials-based contract "to save us money" - which it did not. It's also contrary to the California Contractors Licensing Board's contract rules. As part of their last job they charged more than $2,000 to paint a 50 square foot bathroom - a bathroom this company had painted just 2 years ago - the paint was in good condition and very little prep work was needed. On the same job we discovered that their crew was leaving early but we were being charged for a full days work. The owner admitted we were correct and took a small amount off the bill to compensate for the overcharges. Following that incident (which was not the first time we had been overcharged) we asked that the crew and crew chief be replaced. The owner insisted that the chief and his assistant remain on the job, despite the fact that the chief was responsible for reporting their hours. We decided we would never hire them again. I am embarrassed to say we worked with this company on more than one occassion despite their crews leaving garbage in our hallways - from paint cans to fast food wrappers - blocking access to our garage with ladders and other equipment (despite their having been provided with a storage area about 5 yards away)...and other issues. Generally 2 or 3 complaints would result in these issues being resolved. But having them happen at all is unprofessional. We did not include our address - we used theirs - "Doolittle Street," - to protect our privacy. Plus the irony is obvious. Again, this is our experience with them over a two year period. Perhaps your will have a better one. We are not painters and do not claim to know the business. But we have worked with many over the past 25+ yeatrs. Unfortunately, this was not one of the better ones.

Description of Work
General interior and exterior painting.

Category house painters, interior painters

02/01/2017

dorothy F.

Excellent, great care and attention to detail.

Description of Work
restoration and painting of 1925 bathroom in a cottage.

06/22/2016

Thomas J.

It went pretty good. They did a very good job, but it took a very long time to get an appointment. Their issue is that they overbook and they are not down here so it takes them a long time to get the job done. They did a very good job and were quick and neat. It was a small job. They need to improve their scheduling and their appointment management. I think their price was fair.

Description of Work
They did a little bit of wallboard/drywall work and patched a hole. They did do some interior painting.

03/01/2016

Matt H.

The service and price were excellent. They were very responsive and we were especially pleased with the interior painting. We think it looks great.

Description of Work
We did a pressure washing along with interior painting.

Category roofing, pressure washing, interior painters

10/10/2015

Ann E.

The service for the big deal from MoonDance Painting went fine, we didn't have any problems. It took me a while to get in with them. The total cost was just the amount of the big deal cost. The best part I would say is probably the personality of the persons that I worked with. I believe it was the owner that came out and originally looked at the project and the employee that he sent to work on the drywall were both friendly, very easy to talk to, showed up on time and that kind of thing.

Description of Work
I purchased a big deal from MoonDance Painting. The big deal was for $175 for four hours of drywall plaster repair with interiors. They did drywall repair.

Category drywall

08/31/2015

Darlene H.

I've used them more than once. I did three different projects with them.

Description of Work
They just did interior painting for me.

07/14/2015

BILL U.

They were very professional and did a nice job. They provided extra service.

Description of Work
I purchased a deal for $175 for four hours of wallpaper removal.

Category wallpaper removal

05/07/2015

Larry A.

Steve, Moondance Painting owner, took his time to make his estimate and to schedule the work. That was no problem until the last few days when our travel schedule got in the way. But a few phonecalls later we had a firm work date. On the work day, Steve's painter missed work. So Steve appeared, assessed the situation and got a replacement painter to arrive just a couple of hours later than originally planned for the 4-hour job. Realizing the problem, Steve did the best he could and it worked out surprisingly well. The actual painter who showed up was a nice fellow and did a good job. But he did not understand the job extent well and we had to convince him to not only remove the wallpaper but also prime. He tried to communicate in English but that is obviously not his first language. I was a little surprised that the wallpaper steamer (was it rented?) did not come with a cord, but I had a spare office machine cord that worked fine. I was also surprised that we supplied the primer (I was hoping that Steve would have a more definitive solution to painting over wallpaper residue than what Home Depot suggested on the 3rd try for an adjacent area we completed ourselves), but we did have plenty of primer on hand. The final price was fair for the 2.5 hours of work completed.

Description of Work
Remove wallpaper section; prime for homeowner final painting.

Category wallpaper removal, interior painters

04/14/2015

Bradley J.

Took less than one day, even though the salesman estimated a two-day job. One man did it all.

Description of Work
Repaired water-damaged ceiling drywall, textured and painted.

03/24/2015

David M.

I just learned that Angie's List policy only allows refunds within 30 days. Now since it's been more than 60 days, I can't even contest the charges with my credit card company. I guess I will have to sue this service provider in small claims court if they do not promptly return my money. I will never pay for services in advance again. I have found Angie's List to be a worthless tool for finding professionals to perform needed work.

Description of Work
The service provider sent me a message 4 days after I purchased the service indicating that my selected dates of service were very soon. I told them that it didn't have to be right away. This seemed reasonable since I had purchased a coupon, so I thought many people had responded. I only received one more message more than 30 days after my purchase telling me they would contact me shortly. That was over two months ago. If a service provider can't follow up with simple communication with a customer, I can't trust them to perform the work.

02/24/2015

Brian M.

We would without a doubt use this provider again. Steve Stiles, the owner, showed up exactly when he said he would and took a detailed look at our house. We worked out a contract and the painters came within a week. Each day they came, they came EXACTLY at 8am. They did exactly what the contract promised, including cleaning up thoroughly at the end of each work day, cleaning up and disposing of waste at the end of the job and providing daily progress updates by phone. There were absolutely no surprise charges at any point during the work. The work was accomplished in a timely fashion (about 3 days for the whole job) and they modified the plans depending on the weather to make sure that our paint dried fully before it got wet. The men working on our house were unfailingly polite and obviously efficient. And they really knew what they were doing. Their masking and taping was better than what I would hope to achieve on my own--the smallest items attached to the house were expertly masked so that you could not observe the tiniest bit of paint slop anywhere. Furthermore, I cannot find a drop of paint spilled or sprayed anywhere on or around our house besides on things specified in the contract. They even painted the shed in our backyard and treated it with as much respect as every other part of the house. I was especially impressed by Steve's honesty and communication skills. He was always available almost instantly by phone, came over often to check on things and went out of his way to make sure that we felt that the contract had been honored. When we first contacted Moondance, we did have some back-and-forth that might have gone on for less time. This was during the holidays, I should note, but I was still worried about the company's performance. I was frank about our concerns raised by past reviews. Steve had obviously paid very close attention to all prior reviews and was able to discuss each less-than-stellar review without at all being defensive. He acknowledged past problems with communication (the focus of most of their "bad" reviews), apologized for any delay in communication with us and explained what was being done to fix that problem. He addressed each of my concerns with similar attention to detail. Steve mentioned several times that his goal was to earn a great review from us on Angie's List and that he would do what was necessary to make sure that we were happy with his company's work. In the end, I decided to give Moondance an A in communication because I felt that Steve more than made up for any communication delays that we had up front. It was the holidays, after all. Finally, I was most appreciative of Steve's response to minor problems that arose after the painters left on the last planned day of painting. We noticed some bubbles forming in the paint on our cement porch. Steve responded immediately to my phone call to him, apologized, reminded me that the job at our house was not done until we were happy and within several days, another painter arrived exactly at 8am to refinish the whole porch. It turned out that a smaller bubble returned and I've talked to Steve about this. He said we might want to wait a couple of weeks for the weather to change before they address the bubble again. He just called again today to check on the bubbles and stopped by to look for himself. I am writing a review even while that tiny bubble sits on my porch because Moondance has already earned an A in my opinion. Based on my interactions with this company so far, I am positive that Moondance will follow up with this problem, just as Steve has promised. I can always edit my review but I feel very confident that I won't have to. Besides, things happen. I want to work with the company that comes back quickly to fix problems rather than the one that makes false promises about a perfect world. I wish that I could hire this company to do everything else that we need done. I fully expect that Moondance will do our next coat of exterior paint.

Description of Work
Entire exterior of house painted, all new gutters and one interior wall painted and mudded.

Category drywall, house painters, interior painters

02/17/2015

Martha B.

The job was very good, painter was over an hour late, which caused me to miss an appointment.

Description of Work
Excellent job, repaired and touched up walls, painted 2 walls.

02/08/2015

glen H.

Never was able to schedule an appointment to do the work. Called twice to set up an appointment but was told they'd called back to schedule a time. Never heard back from them now my coupon has expired. Cannot recommend them.

Description of Work
No work completed.

Sheryl W.

Initially, they were good at responses. Angie's List then followed up and they had not done the work and I wanted them to do the work or I requested a refund. I am still having issues with reaching them and I have tried emailing them at the business email, through Angie's List message center, and by phone and still have not received a response.

Description of Work
I purchased a deal for four hours of drywall/plaster repair, wallpaper removal or interior painting.

Category drywall

Jon Z.

We had issues getting this service scheduled.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for $175 for Four Hours of Drywall/Plaster Repair, Wallpaper Removal or Interior Painting.

Cynthia D.

Christian did a great job. From the beginning of the process every team member was efficient. They were reasonably priced and do excellent work. He was fast and neat. I would recommend them to anyone. I am very pleased with the paint that he recommended.

Description of Work
I purchased a big deal for interior painting.

01/15/2015

Christina R.

David is the best! Professional and personable. He works with you and your schedule, and is always patient to answer your questions. The painters are efficient and good, and as an added bonus, very polite and professional. Our jobs can be tricky. MoonDance works through the issues. We are most happy with their work. That's why they're our go-to painting company. I would highly recommend MoonDance Painting.

Description of Work
Painted two apartments with a third on schedule to be painted. Painted building's front, with more work scheduled for the spring.

01/03/2015

Irene M.

Moondance Painting first evaluated the job to be done via an initial inspection. I had numerous wall cracks in my living room & hall. The main work needed was to repair a small hole in the corner of my ceiling made by a rodent. The only difficulty I encountered was in connecting to schedule an appt for the job. Once this was ironed out everything went very well. Their drywall employee Nazario did an excellent job on all accounts, & I was very happy with his work. He was friendly, skilled & professional.

Description of Work
Provided 4 hrs of drywall repair through a Big Deal on Angie's List

12/31/2014

Shereif F.

When the painters arrived, they said the original coupon would not cover the cost of the room because it was a "bigger job" than anticipated. We agreed to a price of $425 instead of the original $129. I paid for that in a check for $425 directly to the company on their request. As such, the original deal amount of $129 should be refunded to me.

12/17/2014

charissa T.

Great. The painter filled all the holes, can't see them. Painted the room quickly and perfectly.

Description of Work
Paint small room. Walls only.

12/05/2014

Nghia T.

My experience with them was a little interesting because originally, I was hoping for them to paint the interior of my first floor, but that was not within the framework of the offer. So, I ended up with them painting the interior of my garage. All the time he said was in the offer and it was just primer. He did a good job. Their responsiveness is pretty average. It took them a long time to get back to me. Once he came out, he was punctual and very professional. I am not going to use them again. I found a better painter.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for MoonDance Painting. They painted my garage.

11/29/2014

Dorothy O.

I had some issues with scheduling on my part. They did contact me and they wanted to come by and check on the work needing done. I got the impression that maybe the job was too small for them to do. When I did finally try to schedule I didn't hear anything back. We never ended up scheduling the service.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for four hours of drywall/plaster repair, wallpaper removal or interior painting.

Category wallpaper removal, interior painters

11/12/2014

Anne P.

Moondance Painting did an excellent job of communicating when I first purchased the voucher in April 2014. I indicated at that point that I would contact them in the summer to schedule work. I contacted them twice in August and have yet to receive a reply to either message. I have resolved the job for which I bought the voucher, so I would like a refund.

Category house painters, interior painters

09/04/2014

Marina N.

All work was performed with excellence and a good attitude, from manager to skilled laborers. Great attention to detail, they made sure the quality of the paint job was superior - retouched all areas that needed it without me having to mention it. Price was fair and they did not try to over-sell me on services I did not need. Each person who worked at my home was polite and respectful. Very happy with this job, it was worth the price.

Description of Work
Used original Big Deal for some quick clean up and repair. Then used MoonDance to power wash deck, power wash exterior walls, paint the interior and exterior of our very large house.

Category deck cleaning, pressure washing, house painters, interior painters