BETTENCOURT BUILDERS

Santa Clara, CA 95050

LICENSE #: 885097.

09/08/2014

Margaret M.

On time; professional. Extremely happy with job and how they cleaned up after job was completed. Needs to be more responsive in returning calls. Also, he did match another contractor's bid which I was very pleased. Overall, yes I would recommend Bettencourt Builders.

Description of Work
Fence job. Can't recall date of job.

08/12/2014

Carlos G.

Joe was very professional and was timely in both his initial response to my inquiry and in providing the estimates. His prices are a bit higher than other contractors, but the quality of work is top notch (based on examples provided). Although we did not end up using his services, we will consider him in the future for any new projects.

Description of Work
Joe came out and measured my backyard area and spec'd out a couple of covered patio designs. He provided an estimate for the projects.

07/16/2014

Steve A.

I got three estimates, but this one is way expensive.

Description of Work
Remove and replace 120 Sq ft of balcony deck. New deck will be constructed by cutting existing joists and bolting new 2x8 pressure treated ledger to the house. Installing two new piers approx. 1Ft wide x 2 1/2 feet deep to accommodate new 6x6 posts to support new 4x10 beam for new joist to sit on top of. New joist to be spaced every 16 inches and will be attached to new ledger board with joist hanger clips. 32 Lf of new redwood railing. Railing will be 42 inches tall and have 2x2 picks spaced no more than 4 inches apart to meet today’s codes. Two rose arbors approx 8 ft wide x 8 ft tall

Category contractors, decks, landscaping, hardscaping

06/16/2014

Aditi M.

It went very well. It was excellent workmanship. I would highly recommend them. It was quite expensive. The craftsmanship is of excellent quality. In general the workers are just really polite and responsive and competent. The prices are a little bit on the expensive side.

Description of Work
They built a deck for us.

12/09/2013

William T.

They came out in a day so he's pretty good. The bid was not fair but it's competitive. The guy that came out came up with a couple of little options. I had to call him up to get a bid from the die that he told me he was gonna give it to me. I didn't pursue on using their service because they have higher bid than the other companies that I've gotten a bid from.

Description of Work
I got a quote from Bettencourt Builders last end of September for decking.

07/06/2013

Kathleen M.

not applicable

Description of Work
came to house to look at project. said he would send an estimate. never heard from him again.

03/17/2013

KEVIN M.

Of the 5 deck companies we asked to provide estimates, Daniel of Bettencourt Builders did the most comprehensive estimate, and the price was in line with other estimates we received. What?s better is that Daniel proposed several improvements to our deck design, which no other companies did. For instance, he recommended moving a post to support the upper deck that resulted in more room to walk and a better view. Also, Joe found that our spa, which is surrounded by a deck, was not properly supported. He recommended installing a cement pad, and it looks much better. Joe also made several improvements to the design. Throughout the process, from setting up an estimate to the end, communication with Bettencourt Builders was very good. Though I thought I could do the work for the building permit, when I realized it would be better for Bettencourt Builders to do it, Daniel and Joe worked on the building permit for the upper deck and worked with the city to make sure all inspections were successful. Joe and his crew, Tim and Jamie, worked very diligently on all aspects of the project. When I needed an adjustment to the design, Joe had no problems making the change, and it met my requirements.They are all friendly, and enjoyed the company of our dogs when the dogs needed to visit the yard. The decks have none of the design problems of our old decks, are more solid, well-constructed, and beautiful than our old decks. The only problems we had, which were minor, were with the time estimate and cleanup. Joe told us it would take 2 weeks to complete the work, but due to rain and other delays it took much longer. This wasn't a problem for us since we weren't planning to use the deck for a while. After cleanup, there were a few things left behind, but nothing major. We are very happy with our new decks that Bettencourt Builders built to replace our old ones, and we would recommend Bettencourt Builders to anyone who wants a great deck.

Description of Work
Remove two decks, a lower, and upper one with a second story entrance, install a pad for a spa, and build two new decks to replace the old ones.

11/21/2011

Daniel H.

Joe is extremely knowledgeable and has a wealth of experience. Just to see the projects and pictures of his jobs will only make you want to say yes! We are very happy with his explanation of what he was going to do and why. Joe also finished the job 2 days ahead of schedule and made our Birthday Party celebration a huge backyard hit!

Description of Work
Removed and replace an old redwood deck. We added additional trellis and had 120' of redwood fence installed in the "piano key" style.

Category contractors, decks, fencing

10/06/2011

ROXANNE J.

at the time of my job Joe was working for Valley Concrete doing fencing/decks/woodwork for their company. I found him thru his bettencourt builders website and saw pictures of his excellent work. I had an idea of what I wanted and I discussced with Joe, he drew pictures and we agreed on a design. He was very helpful and easy to work with. It looks great and really beautifies the outside of my house. I would definitely use his services again!

Description of Work
Joe built a wall arbor for the large front wall of my house, which had no window and was very plain looking. Joe did an excellent job and was very efficient. His skill with a round saw is amazing!

Category decks, woodworking

07/22/2010

ROXANNE J.

I looked at pictures on Joe Bettencourt's web site, of woodworking jobs he has done in the past, was very impressed and set up an appointment. Joe (who now/also works for Valley Concrete) came by and listened to me try to explain what I wanted (a wall arbor), he then drew a few sketches to give me some options and ensure we were on the same page. We set up an appt, he came promptly, and proceeded to build the arbor. He is amazing, he uses the skilsaw like it is an extension of his hand. The arbor is beautiful and adds exactly what I was looking for to enhance my house. The quality of work is excellent and Joe is an all around good guy! Highly recommended.

Description of Work
built wall arbor and attached it to front wall of house - first painted it with primer

Category decks, fencing, woodworking

09/04/2007

ANNE L.

Joe came on time to talk with me, took the time to really understand what I wanted (I wasn't completely sure at first either!), had a paper and pencil and did a bunch of sketches to narrow down ideas and show me some others as well. He wanted to come back to show me pictures of a patio overhead he'd done before so I could feel comfortable with his ideas. We agreed on the design and price and then he and his partner Tim came out and went to work, and he made excellent decisions all through the project. He was efficient, cleaned up every day, was courteous & respectful when working, highly skilled and very experienced, professional and as a huge bonus, He knows how to work with a woman homeowner. Joe treated me as a partner in the project, which I highly appreciated. If he was going to be delayed for any reason, he called. This work was done a few months ago and I still love looking at his beautiful work. Everyone who sees Joe's work is amazed by it. He did a fantastic job!

Description of Work
Joe was the answer to a prayer! He was recommended by my garden designer as an imaginative, highly-skilled and easy-to-work-with carpenter of 20+ years experience, and he has added incredible beauty to our home. I'm adding his business info to Angie's list because he did SUCH fantastic work on two fences with custom arched gates and a beautiful exposed beam free-standing structure that roofed our 3-sided patio and created a wonderful indoor-outdoor area that we plan to use all year now. The gates are thick, solid redwood. The curves are perfect, and they hang exactly right. Joe kept checking in on how I liked the work as he progressed along. I was a welcome partner in the project. He asked me for my comments and suggestions, and then he actually implemented them! No surprises or shocks when I went outside to check/admire the work. He was fantastic! I HIGHLY recommend Joe. Price was more because my project was mostly custom, and I DEFINITELY got my money's worth!

Category decks, fencing, woodworking

Summit Deck Doctor

This is Rupert and my team at Summit Deck Doctor. We offer Deck Finishing, Deck Repairs and Deck Build within 25 miles of Los Gatos. We know you have a choice and hope you will choose us! There are three things that make us different from other contractors: LOOKS BETTER, LASTS LONGER, JOB DONE. Here’s why: 1) LOOKS BETTER. a. We avoid lap marks where two layers overlap. Not every contractor understand the import of maintaining a wet edge to avoid these dark marks on your deck. B) we stain the edges of the boards so you don’t get “zebra stripes” – very visible and distracting drips down the sides of the boards (other contractors charge extra to fix this), c) we use lots of drop cloths to avoid spills (so no more careless mess below the deck). 2) LASTS LONGER. a). We use reliable durable stains, not the cheapest ones (unlike other contractors), b) we use hybrid stains, not environmentally-unfriendly and smelly oil stains which have very poor durability. c) we apply stains in the shade or the cool of the evening to allow stain to sink in and so they last twice as long (unlike contractors who don’t seem to read the instructions on the can which say “don’t apply in sunshine”). 3). JOB DONE. a). I will be coming to give you the quote and I am the owner (unlike other contractors who send a sales guy who might make promises the company can’t keep). b) I will write up the quote then and there (no waiting a week for a contractor to type it up), c) I will be calling you every night during the work to make sure you are happy. IN SUMMARY: We put special care into refinishing your deck and handrails so they look stunning, in giving you twice the durability of other contractors, and in getting the job done efficiently. We believe we halve the cost of refinishing your deck because we apply stains in a way that doubles the durability of your deck finish which means you have it done once not twice, saving you money. WANT TO KNOW MORE? Download our 90 page book "Deckology; The Art & Science of Deck Finishing and Carpentry" which explains the refinishing and carpentry process. (Look for deckology33.pdf). WE WON’T LET YOU DOWN. We have worked on over 1000 decks, have been in business for 12 years, are accredited at A+ with the Better Business Bureau, are a Super Service Award Winner at AngiesList.com with over 50 reviews, have a 5 star rating on Yelp with over 38 reviews, and are certified by the EPA for removal of toxic finishes. We are licensed, bonded and carry workers compensation insurance for your protection. We offer Fixed Prices, which include all labor and material expenses; this gives you peace of mind with no hidden costs. Our payment schedules are all milestone-based, which means you pay only when a milestone in work is achieved, providing you with reduced risk and more peace of mind. Contracts are proper written contracts; nice and clear, and professional; how it should be. Unlike other contractors we work on your job continuously - no "dragging it out;” most jobs can be completed in 4 days' continuous work. We leave you a partial can of stain once we have finished so you know what stain we used, when it comes time to refinish the deck in the future. BEFORE YOU CALL. If you really don’t know what these things cost, then it would be helpful if you can estimate the size of your deck by pacing it out – so we can give you a ballpark estimate when you call PLEASE NOTE: Don't forget to read our reviews in both "Deck Maintenance" and "Decks and Porches" categories.

BAYSIDE PAVING

Asphalt installation/ repair & maintenance

Top Grade Paving

We specialize in asphalt paving, sealing, and more! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Check out all the services we offer below and call -or- click to schedule a free estimate today!

Award 2022

FENCING, DECKS, GAZEBOS, GATES, ARBORS, TRELLISES, BENCHES, PLANTERS & MORE.

ask for details