A Green Home

Founded 2009 • With Angi since October 2009

1103 E 16th Ave

San Mateo, CA 94402

We are a growing company, located in the Bay Area, performing work up and down the Peninsula. We offer over 25 years of contracting experience. We offer a wide variety of services and each of our employees brings something special to the company. We offer 24 hour service. We look forward to the

04/10/2015

James B.

They did a great job. Work was done professionally and in a timely manner, and at a reasonable cost.

Description of Work
I hired A Green Home to do exterior painting of my apartment building.

Category remodeling, house painters

08/03/2014

Laura D.

The work was done in several phases in about 14 months. The quality of work is excellent. The workers were very good about cleaning up at the end of each day and at the end of the job. Communication was usually timely, but not always completely clear. The invoices lacked detail, so I wasn't sure how much each portion of the job cost. We bought the granite slabs used for the counters, and requested the unused portion for a future project, but it was never delivered after a couple of requests.

Description of Work
Pulled permits. Replaced all water supply piping. Added electric panel. Gutted and rebuilt bathroom. Installed air conditioning and replaced furnace. Replaced roof. Replaced windows in older part of home. Replaced kitchen counters, sink and cooktop, and installed wine cooler. Modified cabinets as needed for changes to appliances, including refinishing to match existing cabinets.

Category countertops, electrician, flooring contractor, heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, remodeling, roofing, replacement windows, woodworking, marble & granite, home remodeling, cabinet refacing

05/27/2014

David F.

It went great! I had previously worked with A Green Home, so I knew whom to call. Jack came immediately, explained what needed to be done, arranged for all the work, and supervised all the work. The work was done promptly and perfectly.

Description of Work
Water overflowed from a sink, went from the bathroom to the bedroom, and then through the floor to the room below. The provider hired a subcontractor to dry everything out. The provider then repaired the wallboard and painted.

09/10/2013

David F.

Our dishwasher stopped working and leaked so that the floor warped. We also had some warping in front of the refrigerator. We had used Jack before, so we knew we could trust him to get everything fixed. He recommended refinishing the floors in the kitchen, family room, dining room and laundry room. He told us where to purchase and have installed a new dishwasher and oven. Jack had two men to remove the old dishwasher and relocate the furniture, rugs, washer and dryer. Jack arranged for a different contractor to refinish the floors. At Jack's suggestion, we scheduled the work for a time when we would be on vacation. Jack showed up each morning, unlocked the doors and turned off the alarm. He showed up each evening and turned on the alarm and locked the doors. Everything worked perfectly. We are very pleased.

Description of Work
Located vendor for new dishwasher and oven. Located contractor to refinish floors. Removed old dishwaster. Moved and replaced furnature, runs, washer and dryer.

Category flooring contractor, remodeling, home remodeling

02/12/2013

Joseph C.

Everything was fantastic and looks wonderful now! I am really excited to use them for the next project, whatever that may be. They do it all.

Description of Work
They did my complete kitchen remodel.

Category custom cabinets, countertops, electrician, flooring contractor, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

07/20/2012

JUDITH O.

No end of story here.

Description of Work
They responded to my call quickly and came out to look at the work I wanted completed. No estimate was received; I did not hear from them again.

Category fencing

06/07/2012

Christine B.

Jack was a lifesaver, coming out to the house on a rainy Saturday morning within two hours of my call to assess the damage. He quickly found someone to come out and help him locate the source and contain the leak. He and his workers were very professional, courteous, and helpful to my tenants--often going above and beyond. The communication during the project was great. Jack called every day to let me know the progress and any other issues that cropped up. He often offered different solutions and tried to be mindful of the budget. The job took awhile--mostly because it kept raining! The job turned out to be quite expensive, but the quality of the work was excellent. And it's guaranteed!

Description of Work
Central patio developed major leaks into garage and laundry room during rainstorm. The job required complete removal and replacement of several layers of patio floor, waterproofing surface, waterproofing and re-stucco of surrounding walls, painting, tear out and replacement of drywall in laundryroom, etc.

Category remodeling, stucco, sunrooms

05/10/2012

Joseph C.

First, Jack was the most communicative of all contractors I contacted. He showed up at my property with his main man Mo within a few hours of my first phone call. The next day he had an estimate that was resonable, and we agreed to move forward. Once the work was started, it happened fast, everyday was so much got done. A Greener Home's guys are so knowledgeable, they know exactly what to do when so we don't waste time and money. The few parts of the job that needed to be sub'd out, like electrical and duct work, were done at great value from Jack's contacts. The work was done clean and fast and now I have an awesome bathroom. I am going to let A Greener Home remodel my kitchen next.

Description of Work
A Green Home came to my aid for my bath remodel. They demolished and cleaned down to the studs, fixed some plumbing issues, put up new surfaces, tiled the shower and floor beautifully, replaced tub, vanity and toilet, and even built a custom linen cabinet.

07/02/2011

DIANE B.

The rough guess was over $10,000 and they were still finding problems. They may be the best in the world but $90 per hour to dig a trench seemed high to me. I'm sure there are many other companies who charge as much as they do but I won't be using them either. These people seemed as if they could be very pleasant to work with but others have said how reasonably priced they are. I don't think I would use the word reasonable. Certainly there is more work than just a trench but it's still $90 plus an hour. If that's reasonable to you, then I do recommend them.

Description of Work
A Green Home came out, arrived on time, were very professional. They gave me a rough estimate, not a formal estimate , on what it might cost to do the drainage work.

Category drain pipe

The Member Did not have just a trench to be dug ,There was poor construction which allowed water to run from a walkway on the west side of the house through the crawl space vents and fill the bottom of their house with water .In order to fix the problem there is lots more work there than just a tranch, It would entail pumps trenches power cement work and much more. I gave the member a verbal price they would not return my call to go over the pricing and options.

04/21/2011

David F.

Jack was fantastic. He is dedicated to keeping his customers happy. He calls frequently to advise on progress, and he is available by cell phone 24/7. The price was reasonable and the work was excellent.

Description of Work
Ripped up floor tiles that were water damaged. Removed part of floor. Cleaned out dirt below the floor. Removed old furnance and installed new furnance and air conditioning. Dug up cement and dirt and installed drainage system underground. Will install new floor. Will install drainage system in the front of the hours, check sprinkler system and replant ivy. To explain: Water entered my office in the downstairs from the adjoining basement. The water came up through the cement, ruined the flooring, and destroyed the furnance. Jack investigated the cause of the leak and devised a system to keep it from reoccuring. We need a new furnance and a new floor. We added air conditioning because the extra cost was minor.

Category flooring contractor, heating & air conditioning/hvac, remodeling, basement waterproofing, air duct cleaning, basement remodeling

01/17/2011

Tom Q.

It was too high. They were fine. He seemed to know what he was talking about but his bid was on the higher end of what we were hoping for. He was prompt and professional.

Description of Work
We got an estimate from A Green Home to remodel a family room.

10/07/2010

PHILLIP S.

I had some problems with them. The guy did spend some time on the telephone with me and did give me some information which I appreciated. On the other hand, I wanted something in writing and he would not provide that. I can't do business with a company that won't provide me a quote in writing. I don't consider that to be acceptable business practice. They were highly rated on Angie's List as well. I would like to give them credit though. The guy spent a fair amount of time on the phone trying to explain. He was helpful on the phone in outlining some suggestions we were talking about. He was very courteous. He wasn't rude. But I needed something in writing and he didn't give that. If he had, I may have eventually considered using them. He spent all that time on the phone, but he didn't go the extra mile and give me something in writing. I wouldn't even consider a company that won't give me something in writing. I believe he even came out to the house. I didn't know a lot about carpentry so I had to spend a lot of time getting explanations. I did take a lot of their time and I wish I didn't have to do it. I actually did a follow-up call because I wanted to talk to him a little more, but he mentioned about how much time he had spent with me on the phone. It just seemed that he didn't want to proceed on it. I don't blame them because they have a limit of how much time they can spend, but when it comes to people like me we have to learn as we go and it takes time. I don't remember how much the quote was because I didn't get it in writing. People can say something on the phone, but unless there is something in writing there could be a misunderstanding. It is surprising that he explained all that stuff and he was generous with his time, but he wouldn't send me a quote. I found that their not wanting to give the quote in writing a strong negative against them even though they were highly rated on Angie's List. I appreciate the fact that he took quite an amount of time with me and he was patient with me. But I wouldn't recommend such a company to others. He answered all my questions so he was responsive about it. He was average on punctuality. They did not give me a written quote and that is the basic reason why they did not get a good rating from me. I actually gave them an opportunity when I called them up again because I was interested to deal with them. I would not use them in the future.

Description of Work
I called A Green Home and asked for an estimate on some stucco work and some other things like door repair and general remodeling.

Category remodeling, stucco, doors

Member was very indecisive on what he would have liked a bid on ,unfortunately I can not read a clients mind on what they would like to do or spend. If the client would have given us more info we would have gladly given him a bid.We are here to GAIN customers not loose them.I strive for excelence and sometimes in a bussiness relationship people dont see things in the same light. Thank You for your interest in A Green Home.

06/23/2010

Weiqing G.

It was a very unique job. They gave us the estimate, but we decided it was too high. They were punctual and courteous.

Description of Work
A Green Home gave us an estimate for repairing some leaky windows. It would have been for all of the windows.

Category remodeling, replacement windows

01/26/2010

Jill U.

They did our heating and AC, painting, fence and some other general construction work. They were good. The owner of the company was great to work with and I have recommended them to all. They were reasonably priced and the work was done efficiently. They finished the work before the time that they had quoted. It was a good experience.

Description of Work
A Green Home did some general construction work around the house. They finished the work few months ago.

Category fencing, heating & air conditioning/hvac, remodeling

10/30/2009

Chris B.

The bid from A Green Home was the lowest of the (4) that I received. Jack , the estimator, was upfront about the time and cost involved. The work was setup for a week after the bid was accepted and finished in the time estimated. All of the old windows and construction debris was removed and the cleanup completed. We are also going to take advantage of their free in home "green analysis." The outcome will be an overall assessment of our home to determine the best ways to save energy, heating, water and air conditioning costs. This is done for free - A Green Home then has the experts on staff to install or replace anything that I choose to do from the recommendation.

Description of Work
A Green Home installed new vinyl windows and a sliding door in my home. The work was done very professionally. The installers were very nice and very clean. The sliding door was the biggest project as the casing around the door was replaced and turned out very clean. The installers are going to finish putting in the window shades soon. I will definitly use A Green Home again for my future construction needs.

Category remodeling, replacement windows, window treatments