Bob's Tree Services

Founded 1983 • With Angi since August 2011

622 N Pershore Ave

San Dimas, CA 91773

ISA certified arborist Robert Clearwater knows the difference between simply getting the job done and getting it done the right way! With over 25 years experience Bob is the expert in horticulture, you can trust your tree with. Call Bob at 1-909-524-8000 to schedule your consultation. California

10/19/2017

Sue M.

well but couldnt write check to company only personal

Description of Work
Removed a dieing tree

09/03/2016

JON G.

Called Bob's tree service and left message. He got back to me very quickly. Spoked to Bob. He was friendly and knowledgable. He provided me with a lot of information. He will not be doing the job for me. He did gave me great advice, for free, on how to handle the situation. I appreciated his help.

Description of Work
I am required to have 3 parkway trees trimmed (conflict with HOA and city ownership of trees).

12/02/2015

Cheryl H.

They didn't charge me anything. He came out to give me an estimate. He said he doesn't give free estimates but he came by to look at the trees that I wanted to get done. He told me that I don't need anything done for the tree because it's fine which is very commendable. A lot of people would say they would do that and would cost me extra dollars.

Description of Work
I used Bob's Tree Services.

10/01/2015

Lola J.

Bob Clearwater is the owner of Bobs Tree Service. I live in a historic district, to trim or remove trees requires a permit. Bob had to take pictures and submit them to the city. This took four weeks. He stayed in contact during the process. He came the first day he was contacted. He always came on time and I must say I was extremely happy with the results. Very professional, the yard was clean when the job was finished. Bob is very knowledge about trees. A very nice person.

06/01/2015

Karen F.

I needed an evaluation of a tree on my property that was believed to have termites. Bob came out to diagnose the problem and advise us on how to proceed. He was quick to respond to our project request. When he called to schedule the appointment, I was a little surprised that he charged $100 for a consultation. We decided to pay the fee and had him come out to look at the tree. He was very knowledgeable (he's a certified arborist) and gave us a clear picture of our options. I asked if he would be willing to walk around the rest of our property to look at our other trees and give us an idea of their health, since we were paying him for a consultation. He agreed and was very helpful. We ultimately did not go with him for the project because of cost, though I appreciated having his advice on all of

07/22/2014

AUDREY & CRAIG L.

Bob and a crew of five arrived in the morning and he and I went over exactly what i wanted done. The men got right to work trimming and clearing. Bob checked with me numerous times to make sure that everything was done to my liking. Bob is full of information about trees and is willing and eager to share it. I enjoyed learning more about my trees and how to care for them.

Description of Work
Trimmed two large mimosa trees and one pepper tree. Removed several smaller dead fruit trees including the stumps. Cleaned the mimosa mess off the roof of the house.

06/21/2014

Phyllis M.

I know from experience that not everyone who runs a tree service actually knows what they're doing. I once hired a tree service to trim back a very healthy and productive apricot tree. The man and his crew cut it up so severely that the tree died. So when I saw that my avocado tree was in distress, I knew I had to get help from someone who actually was learned and knowledgeable about trees. Bob Clearwater of Bob's Tree Service is that man. He's a certified arborist. I'm sure that he saved my avocado tree. Bob and his crew took great care to clean out the diseased area of the tree, carefully trimmed away some dead branches and pruned the rest of the tree, but did not further distress it. He worked right alongside his crew and prepared the medication for the avocado tree. They showed up exactly when they said they would, hauled away all the debris and cleaned up the area wonderfully. Even though it was costly, if you want the best care for your trees, I would definitely recommend Bob's Tree Service and will call them again.

Description of Work
trimmed, cleaned diseased area and medicated avocado tree; trimmed podacarpus hedge; removed 2 dead small podacarpus trees; fertilized front and back lawn; cut back large trees near back wall; installed pole to keep my fig tree upright.

05/05/2014

Christine S.

He said he was expensive because he was licensed. I told him I have other licensed tree trimmers providing bid and he told I need to be sure they are licensed because they can just say that. He also told me I should hire someone unlicensed because they can do it cheaper, but they won't speak English. Sounds a little racist to me. I never gave him a price or a budget. I am not sure how he gets business, but I would certainly not reccomend him. It is obvious he does not want or need the business.

Description of Work
The provider was not interested in the job because the house was in the opposite direction of where is was at. He was not interested in making an appointment. I never said I needed to meet with him today.

Category tree service

When [member name removed] called me she seemed upset that I could not come out right away and informed me that she was price shopping and had already gotten a couple of bids from people who left cards left on her door. I told her that my price would probably be higher as I am not only a licensed Tree Service Contractor (which provides customers with legal protection) but an ISA Certified Arborist. To gain ISA Certification one must pass not only pass a rigorous examination on numerous aspects of urban arboriculture including hazard evaluation and mitigation, disease diagnosis and treatment, proper trimming methods, site suitability and fertilization based on tree type and tree protection methods during construction but prove that you have worked in the Tree industry for at least 5 years (I have been at it for more than 30). We must also complete 30 CEUs every 3 years including day long seminars from University Professors on the latest Insect threats and diseases.The State Tree Service Contractor exam has no questions regarding Trees or Horticulture, but I am both a Contractor and Certified Arborist. She said that the others had State license numbers on their cards and I urged her to check with the State Board as I heard on the news that up to 1/2 of those who claim to be licensed are not or have had those licenses suspended, revoked or are using someone else's. I joked that she should check up on me too, to see if I was telling the truth. She asked me if I would be there when the work was being done and I said I would but because I give every customer my full personal attention by being on every job I often cannot give estimates right away. I thought that she was alluding to a complaint I often hear that previous contractors in various fields have sent a person out to give the bid who speaks English but then send a crew who does not making it difficult for the customer to communicate their needs and concerns. I am sorry Ms [member name removed] that there was a misunderstanding and that I could not look at your property as soon as you wanted but to maintain the quality of my work I feel it absolutely necessary to not only limit my company to 1 crew but to stay with them instead of just giving estimates, diagnosing hazards ,diseases and writing reports the way most other Certified Arborists do.

03/05/2014

Serene P.

The man is a walking saint. He knows more about trees than I know about cooking and that's saying a lot. He made my tree, if you know anything about fruitless mulberries, you know they are like a wild haircut. They are like a teenager with a wild haircut. You can not get them under control. He just did a beautiful job. He is worth every single penny that he charged. His fees were reasonable, about the same as everybody else. What impressed me about him is his, he likes trees, they are his friends. He talks about the trees like they are living creatures that are his best friends. He really likes trees. He was just so nice to me. You just don't find people like him any more. He worked with me. I will never have anyone come out and touch any of my trees except his company.

Description of Work
I use Bob's Tree Services. Loading... >>

Category gutter cleaning, hauling services, tree service

02/06/2014

Claire T.

Everything went well. Bob answered/returned all calls promptly. Job was done within a week of hiring him. He stayed and worked with his men the entire time. Very knowledgeable about his craft and is an engaging conversationalist. A good overall experience. Definitely recommend him to anyone who needs trees trimmed/shaped. Don't let anyone "top" your trees!!

Description of Work
Trimmed/laced two liquid amber trees. Medicated an ailing Japanese Maple.

02/03/2014

Kathleen A.

It was good, I would give him high marks. He came on a Sunday and I would recommend him. He was very knowledgeable about trees in my area.

Description of Work
He gave me an assessment of my oversize tree.

01/24/2014

Patricia C.

I have several trees on my property. The palms needed trimming. The fruit trees did not look healthy to me and other trees on the property looked diseased. Bob responded right away even though it was during the holidays. We scheduled an appointment. He arrived when he said he would. He assessed the problems, identified solution and gave me choices for correction. Bob and his crew arrived on time, completed the work and did a fantastic clean up job. He took extra time to thoroughly explain to us what was done and to explain what is needed for ongoing maintenance. I plan to use his services in the future and would recommend him to friend, family and neighbors.

Description of Work
Diagnosed, trimmed and planted trees.

11/17/2013

Dianne R.

I called Bob Clearwater at Bob's Tree Service to diagnose two liquid amber trees whose leaves had crumbled this summer and a 50-year-old persimmon tree that appeared to be dying from the top. He told me the amber trees did not seem to have parasites or borers and the problem could be dehydration due to the drought and to give them more water. He said I was treating the persimmon tree correctly--soaker hoses around the drip line about once a month, though a little more in summer would be good; but it may be approaching it's age limit. He found an abandoned bee hive in an upper branch, cut that section off, sealed it and pruned the dead branches. He explained about cantilevering of branches, tension and compression forces and improper bracing of limbs. He gave me such a good price that I had them cut down nine large palms I could no longer reach to remove the fronds, many small ones, and six small-to-medium deciduous trees that were crowding. He pulled a branch off a long-dead plum tree, found a nest of termites and dug up the trunk, removed a dead nectarine tree, and cut up and removed the trunk of a fallen palm about 30 feet long and about 1-1/2 feet in diameter. They pulled the ivy off another tree and trimmed the lower branches. Disposed of a large trunk and branches of a fallen avocado tree, hauled away three large piles of trunks, branches and disintegrating fence panels, and all the residue from their work. I was very impressed with the extent of Mr. Clearwater's knowledge of the care and diseases of trees, the efficiency of his crew, and with the price he gave me; and I will definitely use Bob's Tree Service again.

Description of Work
Diagnosed problems with two liquid amber trees and an aging persimmon tree, cut down nine large palms, several smaller ones, six small to medium deciduous trees, a dead nectarine tree and dug up the termite-infested trunk of a dead plum tree. Removed the ivy from another tree and trimmed the lower branches. Cut up and hauled away the 30-ft-long trunk of a fallen palm, trunk and branches of a fallen avocado tree, and three large piles of trunks, branches and disintegrating wooden fencing, and all the debris from their work.

10/18/2013

Serene P.

We have a HUGE Fruitless Mulberry tree in our front yard. It is approximately 60 years old and is VERY full. I explained to Bob that it had been about 4 years since I had had the tree services due to the fact that the last person who had trimmed it did a terrible job and I had been afraid to have anyone touch the tree for fear that it could happen again. However after looking at Bob's website and seeing the before and after pictures of his previous jobs I decided to go ahead. He arrived right on time with a crew of 5 men. They worked approximately six hours. They began by moving some potted plants and a wrought iron archway out of the way so they could not be damaged by falling branches. A very thoughtful act which I greatly appreciated. They were very precise about their working. Being careful to find the correct place to cut each limb. They did a BEAUTIFUL job on the tree. No more hanging branches. The center of the tree is oped up allowing beautifully filtered light thru but still keeping the shade. They then did a wonderful job cleaning up and putting my potted plants and archway back were they belong. I will definitely use there service again to trim my other trees and to maintain the Mulberry. I would highly recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Trimmed and raised branches from over the roof of the house and drive way. Pruned and "opened up" the Canopy.

10/07/2013

rebecca S.

PROMPT RESPONSE. CAME ON TIME AND FINISHED HAULING AWAY EVERYTHING. IT WAS LEFT CLEAN. I HAD SEVERAL AREAS IN THE FRONT YARD CLEARED OF PLANTS I DIDNT WANT. 2 TREES REMOVED IN BACK YARD ALONG WITH A COUPLE OF AREAS COMPLETELY CLEARED. I ;HAD OTHER TREES AND BUSHED TRIMMED. BOB IS VERY KNOWLEGEBLE OF TREES.

Description of Work
HAD 2 TREES AND STUMPS REMOVED. HAD SEVERAL AREAS CLEARED OF OLD PLANTS

09/05/2013

Leia B.

First, I specifically wanted an arborist who is involved with the work being performed, not someone who you see for 30 minutes for the estimate and then the crew takes over. Mr. Clearwater is ISA registered (l also checked the ISA website). Bob responded promptly to my request for estimate and made an appointment for that afternoon. He arrived on time to do the estimate. He is very knowledgeable about the trees on our property, reviewed status of all trees on the property and made care recommendations. He stated he could start the work during the following week and we made an appointment for Wednesday. Bob called before arriving and arrived when expected. He and his team are very easy to work with. They are effective, efficient and completed the work that day. He asked for feedback on the pruning during the day. I am very please with the work he and his team performed.

Description of Work
Pruning for the following: CA live oak, magnolia, Chinese flame trees, Catalina cherries, and white birches.

08/02/2013

Kathleen R.

Impressed with Bob's knowledge and professionalism. He stayed on the job throughout the day to direct his workers. They did an excellent job of cleaning up and hauled away all the tree trimmings.

Description of Work
Tree trimming

07/24/2013

Cynthia S.

Bob came by and gave me an estimate. He was on time and very honest about his services and his prices. While I ended up using a different provider, I appreciated the honest assessment and opinion.

Description of Work
Provided an estimate

06/30/2013

Beatrice R.

Robert Clearwater is very personable. He took the time to explain all about the trees and what they needed. I thought one tree would be lost, but he explained that the tree was acting defensively and had been successful in defending itself and could be saved. He also reassured me that if it was properly trimmed it would not fall over. He explained how I could get the .avocado tree to be more productive. He also told me about his family's immigrant history and we shared our views on Hitler, the causes of the world wars, the reasons for our current economic woes and I recited as much of the poem "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer as I could remember. We sat on the grass on my front yard while he drew up the work agreement and refused to accept anything except 10% down. Listening to him made me appreciate my yard more than I ever have. Most of the time I come running from work into the house and hardly look up. He has helped me to look at it and appreciate what there is to see. He seemed a little disappointed that I would not be there when the work was done so that he could make any adjustments I would like but told me to be sure the call him if there was anything I did not like or wanted to comment upon. When I came home after the work was done,, the yard was beautiful. My trees were not attacking my neighbors yard and everything was completely clean and neat. My friend since the 1960's who, unlike me knows a lot about plants and trees and yards was visiting early in June and told me that I needed an arborist. Bob was surprised we knew what that was. But, thanks to Angie's list we found him, and he is an excellent one. I understand why he got the reviews he did.

Description of Work
Removed a small tree; Trimmed 2 trees; fertilized the everything.

05/09/2013

Amy B.

He was very flexible with our quick time frame, and was a pleasure to deal with. He was extremely knowledgeable about the trees and gave me information on the health and care for each of them, and recommendations for trimming and removal of one where it could be a problem down the road. When I need the actual work done, I will definitely hire him.

Description of Work
We were buying a house in Claremont and wanted to make sure that the trees shading the house were healthy, so we hired Bob to do an inspection and give an oral report on all the trees on the property.

03/04/2013

Jim H.

Bob Clearwater, owner and a certified arborist, provided the estimate and was on site for the entire time of the work. He arrived on time, brought 3 or 4 assistants and began work promptly. Bob was very knowledgeable, informative, made excellent suggestions and completed the work in a professional manner. He did more than I was expecting, such as putting sealer on cutbacks, removing large amounts of dead branches/twigs and removing volunteer plants mixed in with the junipers. When completed they did an excellent job of cleanup. I was very pleased with Bob's work, would use him again and would highly recommend him to others.

Description of Work
Cut back and a little off the top of 6 junipers, pruned the lower branches on a cedar, dug out about 12 stumps and fertilized front lawn,

02/18/2013

Catherine R.

They were awesome and very quick at doing everything. Their speed was very good. They charged us by the job. He has a great attitude.

Description of Work
Bob's Tree Services cut down our over grown Olive trees.

08/01/2012

Kathy M.

Great company - really knowledgable, friendly and professional. Did the work on the date promised for the amount of the estimate and cleaned up everything when they left.

Description of Work
Trimmed all trees on property and fertalized.

09/25/2011

Cathy B.

We have used Bob's Tree Services three times in the past year and a half. Bob comes along with his men and is always punctual. He listened to what we asked for and gave us good advice, regarding the problems we were having. He and his workers, trimmed (but not topped!) our magnolia trees, small palm tree and a number of others. He also fertilized our front yard and back. They picked up, cleaned the yard and hauled off all of the branches, etc. In February, 2011, we needed him again to remove a large branch off of one of our eucalyptuses, and he did a great job on that, as it growing back even better than before. Most recently, we had Bob come out to do a consultancy involving Southern California Edison, and one of our trees, and his input was very valuable in dealing with SCE. When we started with all of the tree trimming, etc. we wanted to be sure that the person who did it was against "topping".and had lots of experience as a certified arborist. Bob fits the bill. He is against topping and is very professional. We highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Tree trimming and thinning (but not topping!) Fertilizing Consulting with regards to root issue involving Southern California Edison and one of our trees

07/11/2005

THEY WERE ON TIME AND VERY HELPFUL. I GIVE THEM AN A.

Description of Work
HAD FURNITURE HAULED.

Category hauling services