Otis Merry Painting

Founded 1994 • With Angi since July 2006

3601 30th St

San Diego, CA 92104

I grew up in San Diego, California. My father, a retired Navy Chief, ran the San Diego Sports Arena. On weekends we would work together providing painting and carpentry work on historical properties in the Hillcrest, North Park and Mission Hills areas. In 1994, I established my own professional paint contracting company and have been working continuously in the industry. This year, we are proudly celebrating our 16th year in business. I take pride in my work, providing excellent and professional service to my clients. The greatest compliment from a satisfied client is to be referred to their friends as a painter that they trust with their home or business. Our goal has always been to provide more than just a paint job. A personal hands-on approach to details and a passion for helping with just the right color continues to set the Otis Merry Painting standard for customer service. Otis Merry personally participates and supervises every phase of a project from the start to the final touches and cleanup. Otis Merry Painting is state licensed and fully insured. Our professional staff consists of long-term employees. Award winning....

06/15/2022

Dana Christine M.

Otis Merry and his painters did an excellent job painting my house in 2022, and previously in 2013. Otis Merry is the type of contractor I am always hoping to find: long-term skilled employees, competent, hardworking, reasonably priced, responsible, reliable, respectful, and accommodating. High quality paint and related products are used. During this time of the ‘great resignation” and inflation, finding contractors with experienced and skilled employees is particularly challenging. Based on my prior experience with Otis, I knew that his business model was based on long-term employees and doing quality work that would ensure repeat customers. Otis Merry specializes in older homes like Craftsman and bungalows, etc, with lead paint, but paints all types of residences. His experience gave me confidence as my house is 94 years old. Since the use of lead paint was not banned until 1978, a high percentage of existing homes have lead paint. Many painters I have interviewed are not qualified and do not want to follow lead-safe practices as required by law. They seem to hope you won’t know about the regulations or know enough to ask them to follow the regulations. When I receive bids from this type of contractor they either submit outrageously high bids or submit low bids inadequate to do the job. Each time I obtained bids for the painting of my house, Otis Merry’s bids were in the middle range price wise. This is what you want as a homeowner to ensure your project can be done properly. at a fair price If you are a reasonable and fair person, you want a fair price for yourself and for the contractor doing the work. If you gouge a contractor, he will cut corners to make up for the low price. Otis Merry was on the job every day. The foreman and painters who painted my house were unfailingly hard working, skilled, courteous, considerate and accommodating. They seemed happy in their work. The foreman was very focused and committed to ensuring that I was happy with their work. The job site was cleaned up and organized at the end of each work day. The painters did not leave the job to work on another project. They remained until the project was done. Parking is very inadequate where I live with parking on one side of the street only. Because of the foreman’s approach, the dentist’s office next door happily worked with the painter to find the best solutions for the parking challenges. If you are anything like me in terms of the type of contractor you want, you will agree that Otis Merry Painting sounds like the type of contractor you are looking for. For your information, I am a retired architect.

Description of Work
Repainting exterior of 94 year old home

Category house painters

Thank you for taking the time to review our company publicly on Angi. It has been my pleasure having you as my client for so many years. Each day you made an effort to express your appreciation for the efforts of my crew. Thank you for your business and all of the work!

08/22/2018

Maria D.

We have used this company in the past and we knew we would get good service. Otis communicates well, responds to calls and presented an estimate in a timely manner. His crew is polite, cleaned up daily and did good quality work. We have more work scheduled to be done in the next few weeks. We highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
painted 3 bedrooms and a hallway

Category house painters,interior painters

01/24/2018

Stephen H.

We had the exterior of our North Park Bungalow power washed, clear wood preservative applied and the trim painted. They also power washed and treated our wood deck. They refreshed the wood cabinets in the kitchen and repaired a problem with our unique wood kitchen counter. They also did painting in our bedroom necessitated when we had work done on our ceiling fan. We were extremely happy with the project. They gave a timely quote and communication with us was good. They started on time and finished in 2.5 days plus a half day in doing the power washing a few days before they started the work. Unlike other painters we have used in the past they had enough staff to get the work done very quickly which greatly minimized any disruption. The finished work looks very good. We would definitely use them again and would recommend them for anyone with an craftsman home. All of the staff were very professional and friendly and considerate. The price was comparable to the painter we had used previously (who is no longer available) and significantly less than the estimate we received from a much larger company. We also liked their consideration in picking a color for the trim work that was an improvement over the previous color.

Description of Work
Exterior Painting, wood treatment and work in kitchen

Category house painters,interior painters,doors

09/28/2017

Alex F.

Having Otis Merry and his team paint the entire interior of our 1927 Adams North bungalow was a joy. Otis returned all my calls promptly. His quote was accurate and clear. Work began on day we agreed on with thorough preparation. This is a professional crew in every way. The process was orderly and the end result outstanding. White, lime green, dark brown. Plaster repair, old wood windows, salvaging french doors in poor condition, spraypainting kitchen cabinets-- they can do it all. Cheerfully and with good energy. We'll see Otis Merry again when it's time to paint the exterior :)

Description of Work
Painting 900 sq ft interior of 1927 bungalow, including kitchen cabinets

Category plastering,interior painters

03/23/2017

Sherry P.

Fantastic paint job!! I had extreme paint deterioration on the fascia, eaves, and garage door so I had to have it tested for lead. I hired Otis Merry Painting since he's certified in lead abatement and so glad I did. This crew went above and beyond with scraping, sanding, and then painting to make my house look new again. The crew was very pleasant, professional, detail oriented, not to mention hard working!! Otis (owner) showed up everyday to check on things, kept me informed of everything going on, and made sure all my concerns were taken care of. I couldn't have asked for a better crew to paint my house. I still can't get over how great it looks!

Description of Work
Exterior painting on the fascia, eaves, garage door, and windows.

10/21/2016

Donald B.

Excellent! Otis and his crew were able to finish the job on a tight timetable with no surprises and excellent results. His crew was professional, neat, and precise.

Description of Work
Painting the exterior of our 1939 stucco house, guest house and garage.

Category stucco,house painters

09/29/2016

Anne B.

Otis was great to work with. He came out reviewed what we would like done (power washing eves, repairing some wood damage, priming and painting windows and eves). He made suggestions of another contractor to use for termite treatment and replacement of a sliding door before he should start his job. He kept us informed during every step of his job. His crew was so efficient and professional, protecting plants and surrounding areas, and even putting up extra barriers to protect any spray that might have gone to our neighbors to protect his new solar system. The team repaired our garage door and frame, which I thought was above and beyond their painting scope but excellently done and gratefully appreciated. The crew was very respectful of our property in placing their equipment during the job and each day cleaning up. Our house looks like new and he stayed true to his contact, I would very highly recommend Otis and his crew.

Description of Work
Exterior repair, clean, and painting of trim and windows of our house,

08/31/2016

Tim M.

Our house looks fabulous! Otis Merry provided a competitive bid and shared his artistic expertise to review options for a lovely color choice with matching trim. His crew power-washed and prepped the house exterior quite nicely before priming and applying the topcoat paint. Meticulous attention to detail was evident after paint spraying and then hand painting the trim. Otis went the extra mile to ensure we were satisfied with the finished product. He even washed all the exterior windows and screens as an unexpected added bonus! I highly recommend Otis Merry Painting for your painting needs.

Description of Work
Exterior Painting

08/25/2016

Jeremy R.

From our first contact through project completion Otis Merry Painting surpassed my expectations. Otis was responsive to my request for a quote and on time for our appointment to walk around the house and garage. He was reassuring about the work needed (painting, as well as stucco and trim repair), but also realistic. Otis came to the house a second time after we accepted the quote to go over how to approach painting trim, accents and fascia, as well as color combinations, as we expressed an interest in changing colors and getting his input. He provided great suggestions and then got samples for us to evaluate on the house. He got our feedback on the samples and then offered additional suggestions. He applied a second set of samples that we selected and also some additional ones that he thought were what we were looking for. Ultimately, we chose the colors he developed based on our feedback, not those we selected. The colors he offered us demonstrated how he listened to our input and vision for the house. We scheduled a time for the power washing, prep and painting. Otis and his crew were friendly and professional, working diligently from the time they started on a Thursday and completing the job the following Wednesday. They were very clean and careful to move any items so as not to get paint on them. Otis inspected all of the work and went through with his team to touch up or fix issues he identified. We were particularly impressed when the work was by all appearances done on a Tuesday afternoon and Otis indicated they would return the next morning for a couple hours to finish all the touch ups properly. In my experience a lot of companies get that close to the finish line and call it a day, Otis and his crew were focused on getting it right even if a few more hours were needed. We could not be happier with the job they did and the colors they helped us select. We will recommend Otis Merry without reservations.

Description of Work
Exterior house and garage painting

11/11/2015

Susan A.

My bedroom hand not been painte in years and really needed an professional paint job. Lots of holes, cracks & gaps to be patched and repaired. Otis & his crew showed up on time and did an extremely professional job. I am so happy with how it turned out. Beautiful workmanship!

Description of Work
Patched Painted master bedroom,

Category drywall,house painters,interior painters

The Painting Company, LLC

We are experienced residential and commercial painters, and we are proud to be in San Diego! We are experts in interior and exterior painting, and our team will provide top-notch customer service throughout the entire process. Visit our site, learn more about our painting process, and call us with any questions. We can't wait to meet you!

Offers by The Painting Company, LLC on Angi
    SureGuard Construction

As a licensed, bonded and insured company for almost 40 years, our professional team brings expertise and detail to every job to provide the best experience possible. Our family owned company was founded in California and has expanded to serve the Oregon and Washington areas in recent years. With Sure Guard, you’re not only purchasing a valuable partner, but an unmatched experience; we “roll out the red carpet” for our customers and treat every customer as a valued person and not a just a number as many other large companies would. We look at every project as an opportunity to innovate solutions before problems exist and bid every job with that in mind. Sure Guard was family founded and continues as a company focused on delivering the best value without compromising on innovative installation techniques and sustainable, high quality products. Every job we do comes backed with our “Sure Shield” warranty that allows our customers to have piece of mind that when we’re complete, it’s done the best way. Sure Guard is a member of the Better Business Bureau and HBA, as well as a dealer of Milgard windows and doors, and partner with James Hardie building products, Certainteed, GAF and Owens Corning roofing just to name a few.

Fresco Painting

-Interior/exterior painting services. -Wood staining and finishing. -Detail oriented. -Always finish on time.

Residential interior and exterior painting, custom staining & drywall textures.