Marrokal Design & Remodeling

Founded 1981 • With Angi since November 2004

9474 Kearny Villa Rd

San Diego, CA 92126

LIC # 593914. Award winning....

10/10/2017

Don S.

We called them to get a quote on a kitchen remodel project. They gave us a fancy presentation showing some work they did for others, told us the ballpark price would be around $80,000, and that detailed estimates would come after we paid a $3000 design retainer. He must have sensed my negative reaction because they never even followed up with so much as a phone call. I got the work done elsewhere for less than half that.

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel

Category home remodeling

12/29/2016

Art C.

Took far longer than promised and any additional work after the contract was signed was very expensive. Quite often no one was on the job. The job took 6 months and they were here only 68% of the time. They were busy working on other jobs and left us in limbo waiting for them to return. Make sure you write a penalty clause in the contract for when they go over schedule! Watch out for their AWA's (Addition Work Authorizations), that's where they get you.

Description of Work
Kitchen and living room remodel

11/15/2014

Virginia H.

The consultation was thorough, detailed, and professional. Provider was honest about expected costs and estimate included all the small details needed for a complete remodel. For budget reasons we went with a different company and in retrospect this was a bad decision, as there have been problems from the onset.

Description of Work
Consult for whole-house remodel.

Category remodeling

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that things did not work out with the other company. Please keep us in mind for future needs.

09/24/2014

leticia B.

They are really good. We have no complaints. We chose them because we have a project that is ongoing with a contractor that is un-reputable, and I started to use one that we found on Angie's List, and we saw at a home fair. They were easy to talk to, they understood what we wanted, and they were willing to make budget adjustments. They worked around our schedule.

Description of Work
We are working with Marrokal. We last had interaction with them about a month ago, but everything has been put on hold, as we are working on another project, and then we will work with them. They gave us a quote, and they will give us a final quote after the work has been done. They gave us a quote for a retaining wall, and landscaping.

Category architect

04/01/2014

SUSAN G.

The "designer" really didn't listen to what we wanted and we ended up not really getting what we wanted, we got what he wanted to give us. I felt very rushed into choosing standard fixtures when I was looking for something a little more custom. (you'd think, paying that much, we could get what we wanted, but not really) Some items are still not done (Fireplace) and not done correctly (deck, see PIX) and overall I really wish we had not done this- or, rather, I wish we had chosen a company that cared about us rather than just getting those regular checks into their pocket according to their schedule. My brother chose Lars construction and was quite happy with their work. I think the job was just barely adequate -but for the money I feel I should have gotten exactly what I wanted. All I got was disappointed.

Description of Work
partial home remodel, add on a room, update one bathroom

Category remodeling

Sorry that you have been stewing on this for 8 years. Neither your designer or project manager are with the company any longer so I can only apologize for the experience.

03/04/2014

Dan B.

A hallmark of the great companies is their responsiveness to customers needs. Marrokal exceeded expectations, although we were not able to proceed at the time with a contract.

Description of Work
Contacted Marrokal to invite their company to bid on a residential kitchen remodel, was told a designer would call back. Marrokal did not return the call for awhile, however, we were eventually contacted and were pleased and impressed with their body of work. They have quite an impressive portfolio of past projects.

Category home remodeling

You may have us confused with another company. Our records show that a follow up call was made and you indicated that you had already told our designer that you were going with another company, so we made contact with you at least twice. We wish you the best on your remodel.

02/24/2014

kira W.

A designer from Marrokal came out to talk to us about the kitchen remodel we'd like to do. He said they don't do "bids". We learned when he was here that you only really find out what they think the total cost of the project would be once you're already on the hook and have paid them for design work. There's no option for people (like us) who already know what we want and who are on a tight budget. He didn't really seem to have very much respect for our desire to stick to a lower budget than what he envisioned (though he never really gave us a number) and kept trying to talk us into a big and expensive whole-house remodel. It smacked of the kind of experience one might have at a car dealership. I might recommend Marrokal to someone who doesn't have much experience with previous remodels and who has more money than time.

Description of Work
Steve from Marrokal came out to talk to us about the kitchen remodel we'd like to do.

Category architect

We are sorry that you are disappointed with your experience. As a design/build firm Marrokal is not a fit for everyone. Our process allows us to define the project before providing pricing. We hope you are happy with the company you selected.

12/18/2013

Alice and Richard C.

The service was great. They were very responsible and communicative. We did have some problems with the sub contractors but they took care of all of our problems. They cleaned up well and we are pleased with the work.

Description of Work
We had to move out for five and a half months. They completely redid two bathrooms, removed two walls, completely re did the kitchen. They did all the lighting, doors, and it is a completely different house now. It was a huge job.

Category remodeling,home remodeling

03/17/2013

Rodrigo M.

Went through several design modifications working with kitchen/bath design team and interior designers before deciding to knock out the wall between the kitchen and dining room, it was a good decision. They made several trips to the house to evaluate the new layouts and plans before finalizing the design. Contractor supervisor was always on the job and kept in constant contact with me; subcontractors (electrical, plumbing, flooring, tile, painting, trim finishing) were all excellent and very personable. Did not hesitate to re-do something if it did not measure up, and they did it without my asking. For example, when adding a tile accent strip to the steam shower they discovered the placement of the shower controls by the plumber came into the accent tile strip location. They stopped, opened up the wall again, brought the plumber back to relocate the shower fixtures, resealed the wall and finished the tile. they did this without my asking them to, the job supervisor and tile folks did this on their own. I lived in house while vconstruction was underway. They blocked off work areas to minimize dust and worked with me to minimize impact on my staying in the house. Excellent follow through on all aspects of project. Projecf took 4-5 months and was well worth the time and money. I knew they were high end, but so many friends have horror stories of working with contractors, I felt this was a good way to go. I was not disappointed and would recommend them to anyone and use them again. Marrokal works as a team and integration of company, design, subcontractors and supporting folks was excellent. They made it look easy, but it was a very complex job. After watching all the TV shows on remodel doing it yourself and seeing them in action I now realize what is left out on those TV shows. The TV shows make it look easy, but in actuality it is like juggling five chain saws. Getting Marrokal was the best decision I ever made in doing a project of this scope and magnitude.

Description of Work
Design and remodel of Kitchen, dining room, family room, living room, and master bath. Excellent service with full scope of support including interior designers. Helped me build on my concept and result exceeded expectations. Marrokal Job Supervisor was there daily and subcontractors were all excellent and very personable. Remodel included removing walls, closing off an exterior door, new windows, bringing gas into kitchen, complete relocation of appliances and sink, 4'x8' island, removing a raised entrance, tile and wood flooring, and a large steam shower. Removed about 6 feet of raised entrance to level with living room and dinning room. New tile in entrance, family room and kitchen and master bath and master closet. New wood flooring in dining room, living room, and one bedroom. Installed large gas slide-in cook-top, hood, lg country style sink, dishwasher, refrig. and microwave in kitchen. also installed new window in family room and added a new window in kitchen. Synthetic Stone counter tops in kitchen, island, bar area and master bath.

Category remodeling

Thank you for the review. Keeping clients like you happy is what keeps us in business. You are our priority, and will continue to be now that your remodel is complete.

01/15/2013

Sue B.

Being in the military, we have lived in lots of houses and have done work on all of them, but this was the best and least stressful of any of the jobs we have encountered.

Description of Work
We had two bathrooms remodeled in our home. Their work was exceptional. They were always on time, the quality of the work was excellent, the men were all extremely courteous, and every day they did a complete clean up. They worked with us on the plans and ideas we wanted. Everyone from the designer, decorator, project director, and architect were so professional. Having a project manager, like Jamie Ahremsberg, who always answered calls and took care of any problem ASAP, was such an improvement over other companies we have worked with in the past. We will definitely use them again.

Category remodeling,architect,home remodeling

We would look forward to working with you again. Thank you for the kind words.