Andrew Sturtevant Painting

Founded 1978 • With Angi since July 2010

3659 Mt Abbey Ave

San Diego, CA 92111

38 yrs experience. Interior/exterior painting. Free estimates. For faster response, please email me directly ***sturtevant88@gmail.com ****or call me directly***** 858-761-1971 10% discounts for seniors/active military. Greater San Diego area....

07/19/2018

Robert L.

Andrew was flexible and had positive responses to any requests.

Description of Work
Our beautiful carport had been reroofed which included replacing several panels on the ceiling. We wanted the carport hand painted with 2 coats of top quality paint. We supplied the paint. Andrew began with a thorough power wash. He then meticulously applied a coat to the long triple carport. Later, he added the second coat with the same care. In addition, he repaired a leaky gutter joint on the adjacent house. Andrew is conscientious and fair minded. He also lived close by. The price offered by a previous bidder was nearly 3 times what Andrew charged, and he wanted to spray. The other bidder who arrived for an estimate used local painters, but he lived in another state. Middle man is not the way to go. Andrew is the man.

Category house painters

Thank you for confirming that my prices are competitive, since I don't get much feedback on other painters' prices. It's always nice to work in the neighborhood.

10/16/2017

Brian S.

Andy responded immediately to my inquiry and offered to perform the job for a great price. Although he's a busy fellow, he stayed in constant contact with me via text. Andy showed up promptly, performed the job flawlessly, cleaned up the area and the garage door looks spectacular. I've already arranged for him to return for interior painting. Friendly, professional, experienced, responsive.

Description of Work
Garage door.

Category house painters, interior painters

Thank you for that wonderful review. I'm looking forward to the interior work that we have scheduled and I appreciate your patience.

06/04/2017

Karen E.

All work was done thoroughly and completely

Description of Work
Andy sanded, primed, filled and painted facia on my house. In the process of scraping the facia he found termites that had evaded other inspections & made it possible to get these treated. He sanded & touched up the side gate. In the house he removed overhead cabinets then patched & painted the office wall and replaced missing baseboard. He repaired the hole in the garage back wall without charge.

Category drywall, pressure washing, house painters, interior painters

Pride myself in paying attention to small details my customers may not notice and I appreciate that you Took note of it. Now that we've taken care of some small problems on the house I'm sure that the property will sell quickly.

04/18/2017

Bryan B.

Andy is very professional with great attention to detail. He doesn't paint around things like smoke alarms, switch plate covers, heating registers, etc., he removes the hardware and then paints. Andy is very talented and knows what materials to use and how to use them correctly. I would recommend Andy to anyone who needs painting done professionally.

Description of Work
I have used Andy for many jobs, mostly painting apartments and painting in my own home.

Category pressure washing, house painters, interior painters

This job was an ambitious upgrade to an older apartment. The ceilings were scraped and re-textured and they were extensive repairs to the walls. There was some additional drywall work that I did prior to painting. I scheduled my work around the other contractors ( flooring countertops windows bathroom, etc) Close coordination is always important on projects with multiple contractors.

02/14/2017

Carroll Jean A.

Andrew was on time for his appointment and spent a lot of extra effort helping me understand the effects of sun, rain and termite damage on wood. I think he is an educator as well as both professional and personable in working with clients.

Description of Work
I asked Andrew Sturtevant to evaluate the outside of my house with plans for sprucing it up a bit. He was very kind and thorough in showing me the many signs of termite damage, dry rot and water damage that need to be repaired before I can hire a painter.

Category pressure washing, house painters

Although the client use the paneer from the termite company, I was helpful in pointing out where the affected areas were during my hour -plus inspection of the home. I also recommended a new roof because I could see where the old roof was failing. I believe I detected these problems before they became more serious and save the client future expenses.

12/09/2016

Sue W.

The work was great. I told Andrew the paint colors and he purchased the paint, except for one quart I had on hand. He let me know of his progress--it wasn't a time consuming job, but we had high heat one week and rain another week, so he told me he was postponing it due to weather. When I went to look at the job afterwards, a neighbor asked told me he had to quit due to rain and resumed later. It looks great, and I am very happy he took the initiative to coordinate everything. I was able to contact him via email for everything, which was very convenient during the holidays. I thought his price was reasonable.

Description of Work
I received a letter from the HOA that a rental home we own needed outdoor painting of shutters, an iron railing, trim, repair and paint of the garage door. I called Andrew and told him the paint colors and told him I as in no hurry. He went to the job site to give me an estimate and met the tenant while he was there and told me the price. I approved it and told him anytime within the next few weeks was fine. He said he could coordinate with the tenant since the garage door needed to be open part of the time for him to paint the garage door.

Category house painters, interior painters

My client and I communicated exclusively via email on our phones from initial bid to finish paint job. This is an effortless way for busy clients to take care of their painting projects.

11/13/2016

Matt H.

Excellent quality and price. Andrew took the time to find the best approach to dealing with the trim and color transitions. He also caulked the windows for no additional charge above the agreed upon price.

Description of Work
Painted a medium size living room with several complicating architectural features: bull noses, heavy knockdown texture etc.

Category interior painters

Clean lines distinguish a superior paint job from an average one. Caulking around windows ceilings and bull nose transitions creates a more professional finish.

10/31/2016

Rachel H.

From the beginning to post completion and every step in between, Andy was committed to my happiness and the success of my project. I am immensely grateful to have found an impeccable painter who is the utmost professional. Andy invested the time to learn my tastes and preferences, he guided the project according to my style and introduced me to innovative design ideas I fell in love with. Andy was mindful of my constraints and his creative solutions enabled me to adhere to a challenging budget and timeline. Andy is a meticulous, highly talented painter. I fully trust Andy with any project and eagerly look forward to the next opportunity to employ his painting services.

Description of Work
Interior residential painting, approx 3,000 house (walls, trim, doors and ceilings).

10/07/2016

Mona B.

I would highly recommend Andy and would hire again. He is very knowledgeable on what the house needed and did not need. He made some minor repairs in the stucco & eve. The eves had not been painted in several years and it was oil based, so when he went to paint over it, it would run. But somehow he managed to get it looking beautiful. The work was perfection and my house looks fantastic. He also painted my chimney to match my bricks in the front of the house. He was very cognizant of keeping the gate closed because of my dog. His price was very reasonable. He finished the job in the time estimated.

Description of Work
Exterior painting 3 sides of my house, the chimney and some minor repairs to the stucco

Category pressure washing, stucco, house painters

The eaves had the original oil stain from 40 years ago. Three coats later, I was finally able to apply the two finish coats. The rest of the job went according to plan.

08/29/2016

Rosanna W.

Andy is amazing! I am so happy we found him. He had less than a week to get the whole house interior done, including the insides of the closets. To make things harder, he had to work around other contractors. Andy is efficient and professional. Our house looks great! He offered great advice on the colors to choose and worked unceasingly to get it done before the movers came. Now I need to get him to do the exterior . . .

Description of Work
We needed the interior of our house painted before we moved in.

Category interior painters

Wow, those are indeed words of praise and I sincerely appreciate it. Now, about that exterior. . .

05/20/2016

Gloria E.

I have chosen many painters from this website but I am happy that I found Andy Sturtevant. He is now the only painter that I will use and I like to keep up this old house. Andy really helps when it comes to paint selection....I am overwhelmed in this area and he really helps me narrow it down. He is meticulous and professional and I find his prices very reasonable.

Description of Work
Andy has been here a few days and has painted our laundry room, kitchen and family room. He painted all of the ceilings, removed two doors and patched many walls and fixed the door frames. He also power-washed the patio cover and addressed the dry rot on the patio cover and replaced some wood on the top of the patio cover. What I like about Andy is his patience-especially with paint selection. He brings in many samples from my selections and we compare the samples. He wants the customer to be happy with their paint selection. He is also meticulous with his painting.

Category drywall, interior painters

I really like the color that you picked out for the walls in your kitchen and den. The light gray goes well with your artwork and furnishings. I'm looking forward to the next phase of the paint job.

05/13/2016

LINDA F.

I contacted Andrew though Angie's List and he got back to me the very next day. He listened to what I needed and was able to offer advice on the products available, and then give a ballpark figure for the job. His price was very good, over a third less than another painter we'd contacted, and based on his good reviews, we hired him for the job. He showed up on time, with the supplies needed and despite a small glitch with his sprayer, worked hard all day, applying even more coats of stain to the fence than the two his quote had mentioned, for no additional charge. Very nice guy, very professional work ethic, very reasonable price. Would definitely hire him again.

Description of Work
Andrew applied 4 coats of weatherproofing stain to a newly installed fence.

Category house painters

I work hard to keep my pricing competitive but I never take shortcuts on my work. The great reviews that my customers give me are very important to me. Thank you for this great review.

03/15/2016

Charles G.

Andy is a pro with decades of experience and it showed. Once the drywall was dry, he primed the kitchen, dining room and guest bath areas on the first day. The second day, Andy applied 4 types of paint to my walls and ceilings over 6 hours of work, carefully estimating the drying times for areas needing two coats of paint. In addition to being a nice person, Andy does top notch work and provides great value with his experience.....I plan to have him back for additional painting work.

Description of Work
I'm involved in a significant remodel and had a small painting window of 3 days between drywall work and cabinet installation. I needed estimates over the weekend and Andy responded immediately. He advised me on the best primer and paints for the job and provided a competitive estimate. He also advised on wall drying preparation since rain was impacting the drying of the new drywall areas.

Category drywall, interior painters

I'm speechless. What a great review!

10/31/2015

Steve S.

Andy gave us a good estimate on the work we needed done, and we hired him from a total of three estimates. He is a professional painter and his substantial experience shows in his work. The 15 year old Nexwood deck was quite dirty and had areas of mold and mildew. After careful pressure washing, it turned out great! I think it turned out better than even Andy thought it would. The wrought iron fence had a fair amount of rust, but now it looks almost new. Andy had some recommendations regarding the paint we chose for the fence (as well as the rest of the projects) and we are very glad we followed his lead by using the Dunn Edwards Paints. The front and rear doors, as well as the garage door and associated trim, look terrific! Andy is very friendly and has accumulated a lot of knowledge about many aspects of construction over the years. He has a keen eye for colors, and provides good advice when asked for recommendations! He takes pride in his work, and we are already planning to hire him for some other tasks we need help with inside the house.

Description of Work
Pressure washed large composite deck, stucco retaining wall, and lower 3 feet of stucco all around the house. Patched any stucco gouges as necessary. Prepped and painted a wrought iron fence and railing in front of the house and yard. Prepped, painted and replaced hardware on the front double doors and the rear single door. Prepped and painted the double garage door and its trim.

Category pressure washing, stucco, house painters, interior painters

I'm glad you took the time to write such a glowing review for me. You made my day! It's always rewarding to have my efforts acknowledged by my clients and I look forward to working with you in the future.

08/25/2015

Linda W.

He was wonderful!, helpful, informative, and all around very professional. Andy is a perfectionist who takes great pride in his work. I would definitely call him again.

Description of Work
power washing and prep for exterior painting

Category interior painters

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm truly blessed to have clients like you.

05/18/2015

Lauren G.

Andrew was very professional, organized, prompt and a joy to work with.

Description of Work
Painted our family room

Category interior painters

Thank you for such a fine review, i appreciate it.

05/14/2015

Courtney M.

Andy spent over a week at our house while we prepared our home for sale. We had a lot of work to do and Andy helped prioritize our list of things and made sure they were done well. Andy is a very detailed painter and made sure he fixed several mistakes made by a previous painter (with red paint, no less!). The level of quality work he did was far superior to any other painter I've had come out. Since we were on such a short time frame to get this done, Andy would not only paint the rooms and outside as requested, but he made several trips to the store for us to match old paint colors we no longer had, get new light fixture covers and help remove some stickers that my children had strategically placed on their bedroom doors. :) Not only is Andy a great painter but he was also a bright spot in our lives as we frantically got things ready for sale. He even pitched in to help move boxes. If you need to prepare your home for sale, he is your guy! I have already recommended Andy to a colleague at work and would tell anyone who is worried about having a stranger in their home that he is a true gem.

Description of Work
Andy painted our master bath, kitchen, casita and many touch ups and repairs through the house. He did some stucco repair on the outside of our house. Andy also re-caulked all of our bathroom sinks, tubs and showers.

Category stucco, interior painters

I really appreciate your positive review. Getting a house ready for sale is always a challenge, especially so with five young energetic boys in the house. I will always remember the times when they would come home from school and immediately head for the back yard to play with Sonny, my German Shepard dog. Your house was always a place of love and joy and I wish you the best in your new house across the country in Indiana.c

03/25/2015

Wendy G.

they are busy so it was about a month delay but the quality of their work is excellent. They were detailed oriented and came back after checked everything to do minor touch ups to our specification with no hassle what so ever. I would totally recommend them and will use them again.

Description of Work
They painted our 2 story house, a deck and a front porch.

Category interior painters

Thank you, [Member name removed], I always appreciate seeing a great review.

02/05/2015

Mark K.

Andy did an excellent job painting my bathrooms, room doors, front door, and security door. Before selecting Andy I called several A rated Angie?s List painters. One was too busy to bid and suggested I call Andy ? whom I had already made an appointment with. That told me that Andy has a good reputation among painters. I took three bids and selected Andy. Andy impressed with his attitude, knowledge, and experience. Andy finished ahead of schedule and on budget. I?ve already recommended him to a friend looking for a painter.

Description of Work
Painted my bathrooms, room doors, front door, and security door.

Category house painters, interior painters

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed your beautiful and unique photographs throughout your house. You certainly have a great touch, behind the lens. You're as dedicated to your photography as I am to my painting.

10/10/2014

Mari M.

Andy did an incredible job painting these old walls (my house is 60 years old). He took a lot of care to fill in all my nail holes and managed to repair several cracks in the plaster. He applied two coats throughout. I was really impressed with his diligence and professionalism. He took many precautions to protect my belongings so that nothing was in any danger of being harmed or marred. He worked quickly and always left things tidy at the end of the day. I will use Andy for all my future painting projects, and would gladly recommend his services.

Description of Work
Interior painting of my living room, hallway and family room

Category interior painters

Thanks for the kind words. You have an amazing collection of antiques and artifacts. The stories that went along with each item were priceless.

06/29/2014

Ruth B. C.

The walls look wonderful. Every detail was taken care of. Andy is a great painter.

Description of Work
Andy painted the entire interior of my home (minus 2 bedrooms). He did a wonderful job, using the best paint (Dunn Edwards) and he painted 2 coats of each wall and each door. It took a while, since he works alone.

Category interior painters

This is the fourth time I've had the pleasure of working with you. I've enjoyed our conversations about world events, sports, etc. You have a heart of gold and I do appreciate this excellent review.

06/05/2014

CONYEE L.

Very pleasant. One man business. Had a larger job than anticipated, and his pricing ended up higher than others.

Category house painters, interior painters

The cheapest bid does not always yield the best quality job. Clients who focus solely on price to make their decision are often disappointed with the results. No work was performed by my company for this client.

04/18/2014

TOM M.

Excellent professional job. He even let me use his power washer machine to power wash my driveway at no cost. Also, he is a very friendly nice guy. And he cleaned up like many painters do not.

Description of Work
Painted my exterior trim and re-stained 6 exterior French doors.

Category pressure washing, interior painters

Thank you for taking the time to give me an excellent review. You're one of my long-standing customers and I appreciate your loyalty!

03/27/2014

Catherine R.

Professionalism: Andy’s commitment to excellence was reflected in his consistent “can-do” attitude and interaction with us. We were totally comfortable with Andy being in our home. His strong work ethic was complemented by his easy-going and friendly conversational style. Communication, attention to detail and follow-through: Andy informed us up front what was realistic to expect as a finished product for each area at the time of bidding as well as the length of time it would take to complete the job. He kept us apprised of his schedule and progress on a day-by-day basis. Andy was sensitive to the health needs of the home owner and worked cooperatively and collaboratively with us. Craftsmanship: Andy demonstrated attention to detail and highest standards whether caulking baseboards or finalizing the correct shade of paint for our walls (which he continued doing until he was satisfied the color was correct!) Our finished product reflects his craftsmanship. Materials, price-point: Andy presented a contract to finalize the bid and begin work. Simple, clear and fair. His estimate was very reasonable and he did not charge more than the estimated cost. Service: We know who to call when it comes time for the outside of our home to be painted! We would definitely recommend him to friends.

Description of Work
Painted interior of our 3000 square foot home.

Category woodworking, interior painters

Thank you for giving me a good review here on Angie's List. I am looking forward to making the outside of the house look as good as the inside!

03/18/2014

karen C.

Andy did a fine job. He was pleasant to work with and willing to make on the job changes

Description of Work
prime & paint refinished ceilings, remove, paint & rehang closet doors,, paint living & dining rooms with vaulted ceilings

Category interior painters

So many times I'm promised that things will be prepped by the customer, and they're not always! This customer went above and beyond to prepare the room for my painting. The job went so well that I decided to take $100 off the cost.