California Exteriors, Inc.

Founded 1994 • With Angi since April 2011

Concrete Walkway

stamped concrete

202095661
New walkway for guests to use
View project

3.7

3.8

3.9

3.5

concrete repair (11)concrete driveways (8)stamped concrete (3)hardscaping (2)home remodeling (1)lawn & landscaping (1)

03/14/2022

Susan B.

I needed to have 20 feet of walkway removed that had been damaged by tree roots. Mark came to my home and explained to me in detail how the old cement would be removed and the details of pouring new concrete that included finishing with exposed aggregate that would match as close to possible to the exposed aggregate that was remaining. The bid for the work came in below two other bids I had received. Mark followed up promptly with a date for the work. The crew arrived on time, removed the old cement and three large roots underneath and hauled it all away, then laid the framework and installed rebar. Within minutes, the cement truck arrived and it was poured. One of the crew remained for the next three hours to finish the exposed aggregate portion of the job. The complete project took around five hours. I am completely satisfied with the finished work. From start to finish all of the contact I had with Mark and the crew was professional, courteous, and friendly. I will definitely contact California Exteriors for any work I will need in the future and will not hesitate to refer my friends and colleagues to hem for similar work.

Description of Work
Front yard walkway removed and new cement walkway installed.

Work Completed On 03/02/2022

02/27/2022

Jeannette T.

I called Heidi to schedule Ken to come out and give me a quote for the patio for pavers and I liked his vision and he had the crew out start to finish it took two days. I've given him my friends names and he took great care of them too.

Description of Work
Pavers on my patio

Category concrete repair, hardscaping

Work Completed On 02/27/2022

02/25/2022

Sandi and Jeff G.

They were very professional. We always knew when they were going to be coming they were prompt and the communication was great. We got three quotes and they were the cheapest. We are very happy with the way the driveway looks!

Description of Work
Took out all the driveway and poured a new driveway.

Work Completed On 01/27/2022

02/25/2022

Robert H.

They did a great job. They had it out on the first day (a Friday), and were back the first thing the next Monday and finished the concrete pour. It looked great. Their concrete finisher did a fantastic job.

Description of Work
Remove and replace 1/2 of our 2 garage floor

Work Completed On 05/07/2021

Thank you for being a great customer and for leaving us a 5 star review!

02/24/2022

Ron W.

Ca. Exteriors turned my backyard into the envy of my neighbors and friends ! The craftsmanship and professionalism of the company was undisputed. The owner Ken Johnson utilized my backyard space in ways I’ve never thought of ! I highly recommend Ca. Exteriors over any company in the area !

Description of Work
concrete

Work Completed On 02/24/2022

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for the kind words. Also, thank you for referring our company to beautify others backyards!

James W.

It was excellent, I was very happy with them. The workers were experienced and skilled, I was very impressed. The quality was good and they were quite professional. They were prompt, got it done quickly, in and out quickly ,and knew what they were doing.

Description of Work
They did concrete foundation, flat work, walkways, a patio cover, and outside kitchen.

Work Completed On 12/20/2021

Rick M.

The service was really good. It was on budget, on time, great a good job communicating

Description of Work
They did concrete, landscaping, and remodeling.

Category concrete repair, landscaping

Work Completed On 07/15/2021

Cynthia F.

They did an excellent job. Mark designed my backyard concrete patio, walkway and planter box. He was very professional, knowledgeable and personable throughout the project process. The two crews that were on the job were hard workers and they had excellent workmanship -taking pride in the work they do and cleanup. Wow! It’s so beautiful. I’m happy with it thanks to Mark and the crew. I would definitely recommend the company.

Description of Work
Concrete patio, walkway and planter box

Category concrete repair, hardscaping

Review for California Exteriors, Inc. - 1420 E Rsvl Pkwy, Roseville, CA - 39637406

[Member Name Removed], It was a real pleasure working with you and I’m so happy of the job performance.

02/22/2022

Debi H.

The crew worked quickly and the cement wall and patio turned out lovely.

Description of Work
Cement patio and retaining wall

Category concrete repair

Thank you for being a great customer.

02/18/2022

Janet S.

Can’t say enough good things about this company. We had a medium (not large) project to get done. I contacted so many companies and this is the only one who responded. The whole crew was just great, very professional and the owner is a super nice guy. We’re very happy with the work. 100%!

Description of Work
Concrete pad in backyard.

Work Completed On 01/14/2022

Thank you [Member Name Removed] for being a great client!

11/09/2017

Jenifer K.

Unprofessional, insulting my house and my neighborhood- will never use them, don't waste your time having them come out.

Description of Work
While meeting with contractors and getting bids for a project at my home, I made an appointment with California Exteriors to come out and give me a bid. Ken arrived, looked at my project (adding concrete to a side yard for backyard access) and he refused to bid "just the additional driveway" because "your existing driveway is hammered" and with all the cracks you need to do it at the same time or it will look terrible. Isn't that my choice? I need a pad laid for functionality, I'm not worried about the two cracks in my 55 year old driveway. He then proceeded to answer a phone call, talk to me using terms like "***** and giggles" and "let's face it, this part of town ain't the Taj Mahal".

Work Completed On 02/12/2016

03/17/2014

Lisa P.

This is a followup to a previous review. We'd had to have the company come out twice to reapply sealant due to poor job being done, sealant coming off after only a week. We'd also told the contractor that the driveway was very slippery, and were told they would be sure to mix in substance to mitigate how slippery it got when wet. Come to find out they never did that. We've had numerous slip-and-falls when wet, one requiring visit to emergency room, MRI and 3 months of physical therapy. Have consulted with other concrete contractors who say the sealant was water based ( something they never use), and they can't apply the correct sealant (with non-slip added) to what we have. What we're left with is a very slippery and dangerous driveway. Horrible experience after spending almost $20K

Description of Work
Stamped concrete driveway and walkways

Work Completed On 09/19/2013

11/11/2013

Matthew E.

Overall, we had a terrible experience. To start with, they were very unpredictable and we didn't know when they would show up to actually do the job. When they finally did, it seemed very rushed... similar to other reviewers. Once the dust settled and they finally came back to power-wash and seal the concrete (weeks later than promised), we figured out what a terrible job they had done. I don't even know how to describe the different problems, but I will try. For one, there were large cracks showing up within a few weeks. Secondly, along almost all the joints there was cracking. In other parts, it was clear they had not correctly applied the stamps and color because it looked awful and even had small holes in it. Lastly, some of the lines and edges were not straight. After months of calls and threats, I finally got Ken the owner to take a look. He agreed to make some repairs, including completely replacing a section. Thankfully that worked out and the color matched, but it was a risk. However, many things simply were not fixable. Overall, while we got a good price on the job, we definitely regret using California Exteriors.

Description of Work
We had them demolish a large side patio and rear patio, including a pergola. They then poured and stamped concrete in those areas as well as an additional sidewalk. It was about 1000 square feet of space.

Work Completed On 06/01/2013

06/20/2013

Melisa W.

ESTIMATE: First the company sent out an estimator who was on time and gave us a quote on the job at the time of visit which I liked. There wasn't a big presentation, just went out out back took some measurements, asked us what colors and patterns we wanted and an estimate was given. I think he was there maybe 30-40 minutes. We scheduled our install date and were told the owner would be at the site on day 1 and the last day to oversee the work. Also, they told us that we'd get a call a couple days before to confirm our install date and let us know start time. INSTALL DAY: We waited for our call to confirm and did not get one so we called the company to ask if there were still coming and what time. They said yes and gave us the time. On install day, the crew was on time and did what they said they were going to do in the timeframe they said. Also, they were accomodating with our permit inspector during the process. Great Crew! FOLLOW UP: After the install was complete, the foreman told us we'd get a call to schedule a time for them to come back and seal the concrete. Again, we waiting for the call and received none. I called and left a voicemail asking when they would be scheduling our appointment, no call back. I called again 1 week later (which was a little over a month from when they finished the concrete) and they called me back the next day and scheduled a same day appointment. SEALING THE CONCRETE The guy who came by to do our sealant was very nice and even fixed some minor imperfections in the concrete. He took his time and made sure we were happy before he left. Thanks! OVERALL The quality of work was great, crew was nice, on time, and professional. The company's responsiveness needs improvement. Overall the experience was good but we probably wouldn't use them again.

Description of Work
They took out our existing concrete and added stamped concrete to our backyard. The total area was about 600sqft of space including a hot tub pad.

Work Completed On 05/10/2013

03/18/2013

Lisa P.

Started out fine. The old driveway, walkways and patio were removed, and rebar installed the first day. However, what we were told would be two days of pouring and stamping, was finished in only one day. The laborers were working so fast, not allowing enough time for the concrete to set properly, which created many areas that had problems. Unfortunately, because of the powder colorant coating the concrete, the problems were not revealed until a couple of days later when the powder was washed off. We had contacted the owner, Ken, with concern regarding a two-day job being rushed into one. No response. When we finally got ahold of him, he assured us that all the problems could be fixed prior to the final sealant going on. They weren't. Long and short, it took 5 MONTHS for them to finally fix the issues adequately. The owner would tell us he'd come on a given day to look at the job, then call an hour after he was to be there with an excuse, putting us off for a week, or longer. This happened numerous times. I finally forwarded him the 4th request I'd gotten from Angie's List and made it clear that if the problems weren't at least mitigated somewhat, there would be no choice but to provide a bad review. Only then did we get the owner to make the fix a priority. Major frustration with the lack of concern regarding significant issues with a nearly $20,000 job. Although the job WAS finally corrected adequately, and the driveway and entry look pretty good now, the lack of responsiveness was so severe I would never consider using California Exteriors again.

Description of Work
California Exteriors removed large driveway, front and side walkways and front entrance patio. They then poured approximately 25 yards of concrete, and stamped and colored.

Work Completed On 09/19/2012

11/27/2012

Kathy B.

California Exteriors was selected after attending the Napa Home & Garden Show. The salesman (Mark) was very knowledgeable and professional. When given a high estimate, we scaled back the job. We were given a work start date (for about 3 weeks later) and called two days later to start work the following day. This rushed our own preparation for moving pots and plants away from the work areas. There must have been 10 workers on this job. At the end of the first day, all preparation was ready for concrete to be poured the following morning. We felt there was not enough gravel and rebarb within several of the forms and this was corrected the following day prior to all concrete being poured. Again, there were 10 workers working around our yard when the concrete was poured. When they were just about finished, we realized they had not used the concrete stamp we had selected for our main patio and walk way (this was our biggest disappointment) and the stamp used for our green areas was pressed too hard so there are some lines and dimples rather than semi smooth texture. Also the main step into the house was not banded as had been promised. Our fee was adjusted down due to the wrong stamp being applied, step not banded and to cover replacement of two patio cover post wraps that were scraped by the tractor removing dirt and concrete. Although we did have a few issues, we would probably use this company again as we do really love our new concrete patio and walkways and are happy with the stamped pattern we received rather than the one we selected. It has fewer grooves and is easier to clean. The next time we do concrete work though, we will make sure the top of the concrete is not two inches or so above ground level. Too much work rebuilding the ground level.

Description of Work
1.Old concrete patio and step were demoed out and hauled away. (It took longer than then thought and was extremely dusty.) Small tractor dug out all dirt where the forms were to be set. This dirt was hauled to another site on the property. 2. Forms were set up. 3. Gravel with rebarb were placed with some wet compaction. 4. Large tubing was run off downspouts under concrete out to planters, plus a 2" pipe to run electricity further out into yard. 5. Main patio and walkways were stamped and spread with lampblack black and an accent color. 6. Secondary patio and walkways were stamped and spread with green and accent for lawn affect. 7. Step from main patio into house to be enlarged and banded. 8. After concrete poured, forms removed and hauled away. 9. Concrete sprayed with excess color powder removed.

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways

Work Completed On 06/16/2012

10/22/2012

Bill R.

THEY CALLED ME AT THE END OF JUNE AND I TOLD THEM I HAD OTHER THINGS GOING ON AND ASKED THEM TO CALL BACK IN SEPT. THEY DID AND CAME OUT TO DO A BID. I HAD 2 OTHER BIDS $5900 AND $5500. THEY CAME IN AT $5500 ALSO. KEN ASKED WHAT HE COULD DO TO GET MY BUSINESS AND OFFERED TO INCLUDE THE FRONT SIDEWALK (WHICH WAS NOT INCLUDED IN ANY IF THE 3 BIDS) TO THE HOUSE, CONDUITS UNDER THE DRIVEWAY AND SIDEWALK FOR WATER AND POWER, RAN MY 2 DOWNSPOUTS FROM IN FRONT OF HOUSE TO THE LAWN AREA. IT DIDN'T TAKE ME LONG TO SAY YES. THEY WERE ONLY HERE 1 DAY WITHIN THE TIME SPECIFIED, WORKERS WERE VERY PROFESSIONAL. THEY ARE OUT OF ROSEVILLE CALIFORNIA, A 2 HOUR DRIVE. BY THE WAY WHEN HE CAME BACK TO HAVE ME SIGN THE CONTRACT, HE HAD LOWERED THE PRICE TO $5100. PLUS NO MONEY UP FRONT. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS VERY SATISFIED. I GAVE HIM 2 REFERRALS AND WILL HAVE MORE.

Description of Work
REMOVED AND INSTALLED DRIVEWAY PLUS SIDEWALK IN SAME DAY.

Work Completed On 10/12/2012

03/13/2012

RICHARD G.

horrible - see above

Description of Work
DON'T USE THESE PEOPLE!!! We had our kitchen remodeled. We had the usual issues with work not being completed on time, etc.... This we were able to over look. We were even able to overlook that they ordered the wrong cabinets (not the ones we picked out) and we didn't make a stink just paid and let them install the wrong ones (would have been another delay), they installed cracked, glued together cabinet doors, they had horrible electrical work, we had to have almost the whole kitchen rewired, they installed a range that never stops the initial click from the lighting mechanism, we've overlooked it all and had it all fixed at our own expense. Now one of the windows they installed is leaking and creating significant water damage. We've had three different folks (window, insurance, general contractors) evaluate it and all have said that the original installer should make the repairs (at their cost). Ken Johnson at California Exteriors has hung up on my husband at least twice saying there is no way he will come out even to look. DON'T USE THEM! Never in my life have I felt such animosity towards anyone/anything. They are ridiculous and don't deserve to be in business with this sort of behavior.

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/10/2003

10/17/2011

Danny W.

There was a quick response to my request for a bid.Ken came out and gave me a bid. His bid was the lowest and also explained how the concrete would be laid with rebar steel. I asked if he knew anyone to re-gravel driveways. He suggested his bobcat operator. I mention some other jobs that needed a bobcat and Ken gave me an option of using his bobcat operator for a day to do what ever I needed done. The price for the bobcart operator was excellent. The concrete was formed, poured and finished in two days. it could have been done in one day but there was a rain relay. I am very pleased with the concrete. The concrete guys were great workers. The construction area was cleaned when the workers were through. The bobcat operator was very good. He did everything I needed in the one day and did an excellent job with the gravel driveway. He even moved some old equipment out of my way. I could not be more pleased with California Exteriors. I would use California Exteriors again if I needed concrete work, and I would recommend them to anyone needing concrete work.

Description of Work
Concrete driveway approximately 14 feet x 50 feet, with a salt finish. There was a 1 foot border that was broomed. 700 feet of driveway graveled, two dump truck loads of old concrete pieces hauled off, old pile of concrete mix spread out for a parking pad, leveled dirt mounds and filled some huge holes.

Work Completed On 10/07/2011

05/09/2011

Tony B.

The work was completed by his crew in less than 2 days. The crew was very professional and hard working. Once they started the job, they kept at it until completion. We were extremely pleased with the entire experience and would not hesitate to contact this company in the future if we need more work done.

Description of Work
The company representative was very prompt in responding to our request for an estimate. We were very pleased with his proposal, and signed a contract and work order. He was able to complete the work for us, well in advance of the scheduled work date. The contract was for the removal and replacement of our driveway as well as 2 walkways.

Work Completed On 05/07/2011

04/22/2011

Scott A.

Initially I thought that the work went very well. I have contacted them on several occasions now and I have lots of cracks. We have been in this kind of business and I know that occasionally craps happens but there they seem to be excessive. I contacted them and they have looked at it twice. They have not come up with a solution yet. They were not the cheapest. My interaction with them was fair but they did not do a good job.

Description of Work
I used California Exteriors Inc four months ago to put up a stamp concrete patio for me. They are subcontractors.

Work Completed On 01/12/2011

03/15/2011

Ruth E.

They were professional, they promised to put a pattern on the edge of the patio which they neglected to do. I was guaranteed that my sprinkler system would not be harmed and I no longer have a system in front or back. The front, because of the tree, the sprinkler system was entangled within the roots so they could not reach the pieces to put them back together. The backyard is no long sprinklerable either because they did not re route it. The work itself was very good, but I am disappointed we don't have a sprinkler system in the front of back.

Description of Work
They replaced two panels of a sick panel drive way and matched it pretty closely. They replaced the walk way entering the home. There was disruption from a