Five Star Restoration & Construction Inc

Founded 1989 • With Angi since May 2009

4.2

2372 Gold River Rd

Rancho Cordova, CA 95670

Since 1989, Five Star Restoration & Construction, Inc. has specialized in providing 24-hour emergency service for water, smoke and fire damage restoration-experienced in complete reconstruction for residential and commercial properties. Five Star can handle any job from start to finish-large or small. Our technicians are trained, experienced and nationally certified, continually training in the most current recovery techniques. Cost is determined by job, travel charges apply outside of 50 mile radius, extra charge applies for emergency after-hour service, lic# 886276. Additional phone numbers - (916) 631-1412, (916) 631-8156. Additional DBAs - Five Star Resoration. Additional contact name - Brenda Gallion...

09/19/2020

Trisha C.

They came in and did the mitigation fast and then sat. When prompted for answers to begin dates and regarding permits they lied repeatedly to myself and the insurance. Billed for I performed services, etc. the initial mitigation went well but that was bc they Subcontracted it out. The staff you deal with initially are very competent and nice but once you sign a contract the project died.

Description of Work
Flood remodel

Category contractors, drywall, flooring contractor, home remodeling

Ms. [Member Name Removed], we do not subcontract out our mitigation services. This is performed by our employees. We decided it to be best to pull out of this project due to the fact that you were trying to make us pay for your code violations that were due to issues on your property long before we started performing work for you. The other issues were that you were performing repairs to your home that was not done with a permit which was creating problems with the project. We did our best to get the permit transferred over to you as quickly as possible. We hope that all goes smoothly for you.

10/18/2019

MARY H.

Took far too long and communication with the project manager was very poor. Scheduled events did not occur on time. I have used them before and been happy but they are no longer “five star” in my opinion.

Description of Work
Restoring a bathroom after floor leak

Category home remodeling

I have reviewed the issues that took place. [Member Name Removed], my sincerest apologies for the lack of communication and follow through on this project. Your brother sent me a long list of items we will need to work on and improve. Thank you both for bringing this to my attention.

04/13/2017

Sue C.

The work is still ongoing but so far it has been excellent. Everyone is very nice and helpful in explaining what is being done and what comes next.

Description of Work
We had water damage in our kitchen and it turned into a huge project.

Category water damage restoration

Thank you for the review [Member Name Removed]. I'm sure Nathan will take good care of you. I hope that all turns out well. Please reach out to me if there are any issues that arise. Aaron Provencal 916-825-5285

08/10/2016

Ronald F.

From the beginning to the end this company stood out. Excellent customer service, professionalism and integrity. Overall satisfaction with work performed EXCELLENT

Description of Work
We had water damage to our master bathroom. Five Star Restoration provided excellent service. Upon the initial call I was set at ease, their staff were knowledgeable and friendly. The technician George Borges was the first person at our home. He was courteous and friendly and explained the process in detail. After the drying process way completed we also used Five Star Restoration for the reconstruction. Once again all the staff and crews were excellent.

Category contractors, drywall, water damage restoration, mold removal

[Member Name Removed], we appreciate the review. Thank you!

08/12/2015

deborah H.

The leak happened the first week of May. It is now mid-August and we are still without use of the bathroom, are washing our dishes in the our laundry room sink, which is the only sink available on the ground floor. Because I complained, they finally cleaned out the old appliances and put our stove back....in our kitchen with no sink, dishwasher, or counter tops. We are taking care of my elderly mom with great difficulty through this, and they have gone weeks at a time doing nothing. When work is done, it is because they have sent one or two workers at a time to do a specific job, like paint, and then we wait another few weeks. One example of many is that they were supposed to paint our small pantry area to match the kitchen...approved and even mandated by insurance company...but I was told they wouldn't do this. I had to call the insurance company for intervention. OK, so now they painted the pantry, but the molding around the door frame was my problem. Unbelievable The crew that refinished the cabinets fumed up the house. I had to tell them to put their solvent soaked rags in plastic bags...no fan was used or anything partitioned off. Now after weeks of drying time, the doors are still sticky. Oh, and they lost a cupboard door, which they are replacing. Just got an email saying they picked it up for me like they are doing me a favor. This has been a total nightmare. Run far, far away from this company.

Description of Work
Insurance carrier recommended for a water leak that caused mold damage. They tore out half our kitchen and most of our bathroom. They are supposed to rebuild walls, reinstall appliances and fixtures, refinish cabinets, re-tile bathroom, and put new surface on kitchen counters.

Category water damage restoration, interior painters, mold removal

We apologize for the length of time it has taken to repair your home and for your dissatisfaction. The bathtub that had to be replace had to be approved by your insurance carrier. The tub was ordered upon approval - the tub was special order and took 8 weeks to receive. We also had a couple days that we had work scheduled with you and our sub contractors could not gain access to the property to get the work done, so they had to leave. As you can imagine, this throws off the entire schedule when one trade can't get in to do their part as a domino affect occurs. Material selections also played a part in the length of time for the repairs. Since tile was finally selected last week, we will plan on getting the tile in as soon as we hear from you as to when your countertop contractor will be completed. We will do our utmost to make sure you are satisfied with the final outcome of the repairs.

06/18/2015

Robin H.

Cleaning damage was quick. They did not tell me to hire my own contractor for repairs, so I had to wait 2 months before they would do restoration-- 2 months without a kitchen! I was told that they were way backed up on projects as they took up other jobs from contractors that went bankrupt and I had to wait. When they finally did come, they rushed and did a very sloppy job. The team that tore my kitchen up told me to plan what I needed done so I wouldn't have to re-do in the future. The mgmt team that came in to restore did not want to do changes as they were so busy that I had to put projects on hold ( I wanted a new sink and faucet-- kept asking for size and type so I could purchase them and when I did get size, it was too late as they were ready to finish.) This company also relies a great deal on payment from insurance claims so their prices are very steep-- I feel that they really take advantage of people who are in dire straits and are at their beck and call to agree to whatever just to get their house back in shape. Most of the workers are great but the middle mgmt of this company are all money and speed driven and not into quality and empathy for their customers. It may be too late for me, but maybe this will wake their owner up and reconsider how they do business in the future..

Description of Work
clean water and mold damage---then restore

01/12/2015

Eryn S.

I have a close friend who had a house fire yesterday on the other side of the country. She needed help with the information she was being told. I called Five Star Restoration hoping to talk with someone and help my friend from a distance. Carol was so nice to take her time to explain what happens in a house fire and information in the aftermath to pass on to my friend to help in her crisis situation. I didn't use their services but was impressed that they would take some time to help me help my friend. Thank you!!

Description of Work
Help.

Category water damage restoration

Thank you for the review [Member Name Removed]!

03/05/2014

Woosun N.

The technicians from Five Start were very polite and professional. They performed the work quickly without any issues.

Description of Work
Mitigated water damage from a leaking tub. Water had seeped into the ceiling, walls and under the hardwood floor of the floor below the bathroom. Five Star tore out the damaged structures and dried everything out.

09/10/2013

Matthew R.

Great job a d very nice. Would and will use this company in the future. Appreciate everything David. Thank you much Definitely call them first for quick response time and honest answers

Description of Work
Had David C come out and give an inspection on an area where we had previous water damage. He did some testing and came to conclusion we were good and no mold.

08/08/2013

Randy F.

During one of the storms we had in December of 2012, I was awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of dripping. I discovered that my master bedroom window was leaking and the water was dripping down on the window sill. It ran across the sill and down the wall and eventually across the carpet. I placed towels at the point were the drips were falling and tried to go back to sleep. The next morning (Sunday) I woke up and called Five Star, after looking through my monthly flyer from Angies List. They responded that day, started the drying proccess on the rug and placed plastic sheeting aroung the window to prevent further damage and allow the repair the leak, which was a faulty seal around the master bedroom window. Over the course of the next four weeks, Five Star worked with my insurance complany and ultimately completed replacing the insulation in the wall, wallboard, carpet pad and painted all areas affected. Everything is as good as new.

Description of Work
Repair water damage caused by leaking window frame.

03/25/2013

Louis D.

5 Star did what they said they would exactly when they said they would do it. They also did not ask for money until the work was 100% complete.

Description of Work
We had water damage to our upstairs master bathroom and our kitchen from a storm in December. 5 Star came out after our insurance denied our claim. They were reasonably priced; tremendously professional; patient; and, did high quality work. My highest recommendation.

01/01/2013

gordon K.

Went very well from start to finish. Kept us, tenant and insurance company well informed

Description of Work
Tim and crew did an excellent job. Were on site within hours, pulled carpets, baseboards, drywall, and began drying to prevent mold all to our appreciation. Cause was overflowed upstairs toilet caused by tenant.

12/29/2012

Randy F.

I woke up at 5:00 AM in the morning to a drip sound during a very strong storm in our area, discovered the drip was water dripping on the interior window sill of our second story master bedroom. My temporary fix consisted of towels, till daylight, so I could assess the damage. Upon discovering I also had water on the floor at the opposite end of the window. My immediate reaction was to grab my Angie's List Monthly edition and look for a water damage company. I called around 8:00 AM on Saturday morning and they returned my call within an hour. Shortly there after a two man crew arrived to start the process of repairing the damage that had been done. It took three weeks to complete the repairs, due to repairing the cause of the water damage before finishing the repairs to the wall and carpet.. Overall I was quite satisfied with the work performed, the friendliness of the employees and the willingness of the owner to work with me on a few of the repair items that I could complete to save a few dollars, to offset my insurance deductable. They also give Angie's List members an additional discount.

Description of Work
They responded within hours of my call on the weekend, they installed a temporary sheet of plastic to protect the window area from more moisture entering my master bedroom, removed the carpet pad that had gotten wet, placed fans and a dehumidifier to dry the floor, carpet and wall area that had gotten wet during the storm. They returned a few days later to remove the damaged wall board and insulation and allowed the wall area time to dry.

11/24/2012

Anthony B.

This episode was tough for our family. Even a year later, I am glad we choose them. The initial phone intake was awesome!. I am in cust svc, and what initially sold them to us was initial phone intake. They seem to have a customer service system in place. I think they do regular training with their employees. By Aaron, the head guy, doing the initial eval, and all employees wearing company shirts or tee shirts, it lent a great level of comfort and professionalism to our experience. Three notes: 1. The weather turned cold the minute we had to shut down HVAC and leave the negative pressure airflow system in place. Our house being 40+ was drafty, and this resulted in a week of 40 degree temperatures in the house. We had to fend for ourselves with portable heaters for 20+ days before repairs were completed, negative pressure system removed and we could use the HVAC. Nature-not five star's issue. 2. Our cabinets were old. We had to call back the cabinet sub 2 times to correct issues he missed. He was a very busy guy. Five star did what they could to correct the situation, and the sub stuck to the scheduled time. Five Star was cool waiting for payment until the issues were resolved. 3. They did a great job locating the cold water line in the wall for the refrigerator that had been covered up during original construction. Everyone coordinated our access to the water line so we could use it when repairs were complete. Their overall goal was the safe and efficient disposal and repair of the water damaged materials. I strongly recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Water Damage confirmed by insurance adjuster in center of house affected carpet in great room, tile in kitchen, kitchen cabinets and drywall. They were on time at initial appointment. Surveyed the damage, made moisture and physical measurements. They kept me in the loop as we both patiently waited for insurance company to evaluate. They talked with adjuster, and described the additional work that the adjuster could not see. When we got the go-ahead, installed plastic isolation wall between the affected area and the rest of the house before they removed all moldy and affected materials in one day. They installed a negative air system that exhausted all of the affected air out of the house, through a fireplace vent, that allowed us to keep the doors and windows closed. They advocated with the insurance company in our request to get the HVAC system cleaned, as it was at the center of the water damage. They removed the affected kitchen cabinets and hired a sub to replace. Their documentation (pics and drawings) was through and accurate enough to tell the complete story to the insurance company and to the adjuster. They were supportive and patient, and freely allowed us to decide what we would do to replace flooring on the first floor of the house. They did not pressure us to use the companies they usually deal with, and showed us samples of the flooring they can order.

11/03/2012

Doug L.

They do a great job, this is the third time I have used them. Everything looks like new once they were done. They are expensive but you get what you pay for.

Description of Work
Leak from the master shower caused water damage in the master bath and in the dining room below. They had to dry out the floor under the tile and repair the drywall damage.

08/15/2012

Ying C.

The response was quick, but with extra charge due to weekend. The cost is very high. Did clean up the water problem and dried up the walls, but they damaged my washer and dryer when moving them out of the laundry room. The repair cost quoted was very high. I hired a contractor and got it done at half the cost.

Description of Work
Water in upstair laundry room. removed laundry room floor, carpet near the laundry room and base board. dried up the walls connected to laundry room.

Category water damage restoration

We do charge additional for after hours emergency call outs. Regarding the damage to the washer and dryer, this was not brought to our attention. We would have been more than happy to take care of any damage done by our staff.

01/13/2012

Becky Y.

.They seemed to do a very good job although I'm not sure the job was as complete as it could be in regard to the damage done to the carpet. Overall I am satisfied with them and I can recommend them on most counts.

Description of Work
.They repaired damage caused by water in my bedroom and bathroom.

07/01/2011

Regina R.

He seemed very professional and we liked him a lot, he has followed up with us appropriately. We just haven't decided yet if we will go with this company.

Description of Work
He gave us an estimate to replace some damaged flooring.

Category flooring contractor

10/27/2010

DIANE G.

I liked them. The only reason why I didn?t use them was because I didn?t actually get to meet the people who would do the sheetrock work. However, I used the services of another company for the sheetrock work since I got to meet the person who was going to do that work. I wanted to know the person I was going to deal with, but I thought that Five Star Restoration & Construction was a fabulous company. I still might use them for other work.

Description of Work
I received an estimate from Five Star Restoration & Construction about 3 months ago for some roof work, dry rot problem and sheetrock work.

Category contractors, drywall, roofing

06/17/2010

MICHAEL B.

The dry rot and construction went exceedingly well, very professionally done--Chris was outstanding. The company kept us well informed of the construction schedule, and all of the Five Star people were very personable. The vinyl installation went well, also. The painting (which was subcontracted) was a bit of a disappointment. The guy that painted the baseboards, a windowed door, and door jams was suberb. His assistant that did the wall painting, was not so good. Five Star made much of it right, by painting some of the less than satisfactory work over again. The biggest issue I had was the fact that the wall preparation wasn't satisfactory, so the post-paint wall appearance was pretty rough in spots. I don't know if the preparation was the responsibility of the painter or the company, but in the end, rough surfaces got painted over and look a little choppy. I'm sure Five Star would have also made that right if I'd made an issue, but we were anxious to get our kitchen back.

Description of Work
Kitchen work: dry rot repair, new vinyl, new wainscot, chair rails, baseboards, door jams, removal of an obsolete intercom and closing the opening, and complete painting.

Category remodeling, water damage restoration, home remodeling

06/08/2010

Kendria L.

Five Star Restoration assembled a team and appeared at my home a 1 1/2 hour after making the claim with my insurance company. Nathan the project manager sat down with me to explain every step of the process and the options I had available to me. The clean-up team was kind, professional and showed concern for my neighbors because the equipment used to pump the water out of my house was loud and was running around 10pm on a Friday night. Every step of the procedure they performed was explained to me and once all the fans and dehumidifiers were set up I was given a tour and further explanation of the equipment in my home and it's purpose. My home was packed up with great care for my belongings and furniture and each box was labeled with excellent details. I knew exactly which box contained items from the nightstand on the right side of my bed vs. the left side of my bed. The assessment and pictures were sent to my insurance company first thing Monday morning. Nathan was an excellent project manager, keeping in touch with me every few days and sometimes daily to explain the progress on my job. Nathan and his team really listen to homeowners. They happened to catch a comment I made about me not expanding out my laminate prior to the water damage and worked with me to upgrade the flooring in my home. We were able to match the existing laminate and the team performed a beautiful job laying the laminate. When everything was put back in place it was so beautiful it was hard to believe that I had water damage. All the carpets were cleaned and they did such a beautiful job the carpets looked brand new. My insurance company performed a follow-up audit and out of a 15 pages of line-items only had minor follow-up questions on 2 items. The auditor complemented Five Star Restoration on their integrity and high level of work performed. To close out the job I was invited to the office where I got to meet the owner and the rest of the office staff. I was presented with a specialized gift bag of flavored oil olives to go along with the other flavored olive oils in my kitchen, a card signed by the staff and a video of before and after pictures. I have been so pleased with this company from start to finish that I don't know how anyone else can top the level of customer service I have received from them. I will be using them for my future carpet cleaning needs along with any future remodeling needs. I highly recommend them as a company and I thank them for making an unexpected disaster in my home manageable.

Description of Work
My insurance company called in Five Star Restoration and Construction to clean-up, assess and repair water damage from a broken water line to my master bedroom toilet. The water was removed from my home, carpets and padding removed, furniture moved to another room, clothing and other items packed up, baseboards and doors removed, holes placed below baseboards lines to dry out the moisture in the walls and a disinfectant was sprayed on the cement foundation to prevent mold. Fans and dehumidifiers were placed in my home, moisture levels were checked daily. Once the home was dried out, the carpets with no damage were re-laid and cleaned, doors re-hung, a vanity replaced, baseboards replaced, new laminate flooring was laid and cleaned and touch up paint was applied to the walls.

Category carpet cleaners, flooring contractor, remodeling, water damage restoration, home remodeling

05/03/2010

Todd M.

They were excellent from start to finish. Did what they said they woud do, when they said they would do it. They were professional, punctual, courteous and friendly. I put NA for costs because I dont know what others would have charged. But these guys were worth it.

Description of Work
They repaired water damage caused by our movers setting up the washing machine. Leak was from the secnd floor to the first.

01/26/2010

Tina L.

Five Star was quick to respond and extremely professional. The tenant called me at 11:00 on a Monday night to inform me of the situation, and by 10:00 the next day, Five Star had one of its representatives at the property. They started work later that afternoon. The unit looks good as new. Best of all, Five Star provided all of the necessary information to help expedite my claim with the insurance company.

Description of Work
Five Star repaired water damage caused by an overflowing toilet in the upper unit of my duplex. There was damage to both the upper and lower floor units. The damage included water in the walls, ceilings, carpets, etc. Five Star removed the damaged sheet rock, insulation and carpet and dried out both units. In addition, they inspected the electrical outlets, replaced the carpet pad, stretched and cleaned the carpets, and textured and painted the damaged walls.

Category carpet cleaners, carpet installation, remodeling, water damage restoration, home remodeling

06/09/2009

MICHAEL B.

Wonderful! The company craftsman (Bob) was prompt, courteous, very skilled, and very personable. The job, including flashing, priming, and paint was done in less than 6 and a half hours.

Description of Work
Our dogs tore a 4 foot x 3 foot hole into our cedar shake siding, through the underlayment and tar paper, and chewed half-way though two of the studs. While reviewing the dogs' handiwork, the company discovered a fair amount of water damage. Sadly, our homeowner's policy had a pet exclusion, so we were on our own for this one. The company placed parallel studs against the original ("sister" studs) restored the wall and siding to its original condition and put metal flashing across the bottom to prevent the dogs from repeating their demolition services.

04/27/2006

DON P.

I THOUGHT THE PRICE WAS OKAY, THE QUALITY WAS GOOD AND THEY RESPONDED WELL TO OUR NEEDS. THE FIRST DAY THEY ARRIVED ON TIME, BUT AFTER THAT THEY NEVER SHOWED UP UNTIL NOON OR LATER. I DO NOT THINK THAT IS PROFESSIONAL AT ALL.

Description of Work
THE TOILET BROKE SO PART OF THE BATHROOM WALL HAD TO BE REPLACED AND PAINTED. THE MASTER BEDROOM WALL HAD TO BE TORN OUT AND REPLACED ALONG WITH PAINTING AND THE BASEBOARDS.

Category remodeling