Bonney Plumbing Heating Air & Rooter Service

Founded 1978 • With Angi since January 2006

3054 Gold Canal Drive

Rancho Cordova, CA 95670

Locally owned & operated. 80 employees. Cost is determined by the job. Multiple financing options available. Bonney Plumbing, Heating and Air, has been your local, reliable service company since 1978. As an A+ rated member of the Better Business Bureau, we have worked hard to build our reputation

11/13/2020

Susan H.

The service was good, they were able to fix the problem and make my air conditioning run during the summer.

Description of Work
Repairs on the air conditioning system that stopped working

08/07/2019

gayle G.

They are very friendly and professional.

Description of Work
They check my water heater.

08/16/2017

John M.

It was just a minor thing. It took them a little while. I would use them again.

Description of Work
They took a look at the A/C because it was not working.

07/31/2017

Verneeta K.

They come out and do the service okay. They are too pushy to try and sell you on a new heating system. You can make an appointment for a new system and they don't come out. They're known to be high. I think they are high. When they come out, they will call you ahead of time.

Description of Work
They do my yearly maintenance on my plumbing, air conditioning, heating and things like that. They've installed a garbage disposal. The price is an annual maintenance fee.

05/12/2017

Carole B.

We have a very small pipes. the bath to the street. It clogs there quite a bit.

Description of Work
We had a clog.

01/22/2017

Paul B.

Of the five businesses I contacted for estimates, I thought the Bonney installer gave me the most honest up-front estimate (although it was also the highest estimate). Some of the businesses would only give me over-the-phone low-ball estimates that were obviously just for the water heater itself, neglecting to mention the extra components that would be needed such as valves, strappings, expansion tank, and an electrical disconnect box, all required for the City permit. And only a couple of businesses, even one who came to the house, bothered to mention the required City permit. The Bonney installer showed up on time with all the required equipment. He removed the old tank and components, prepped the area for the new components, and completed the installation in about five hours. He also cleaned the area thoroughly when he was finished. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the results. It passed the City inspection. And I also think I got a better quality water heater brand which isn't available online or at discount big-box stores.

Description of Work
It was time (actually past time) to replace a 10 year old water heater that only had a six year warranty, and time to bring all the plumbing and electrical work up to code.

09/21/2016

Cathy G.

It went well. He came and unclogged the sink and it didn't take very long. My only complaint about their service was that they charged 3 times what other plumbers had charged me for this same service and I didn't find out it was going to be so high until he was there. I needed my sink unclogged badly so I paid it.

Description of Work
My kitchen sink was clogged up.

08/06/2016

David B.

A few years ago I used Bonney PH&AC, the work completed was reasonably good, however the upsell from the service technician in my house was over the top. However, I decided to use them again since the work completed was solid. I call them to repair a tank on a toilet, before the appointment was even scheduled, I was being upsold service programs on the phone. The appointment was eventually scheduled, and I was surprised that they needed a 4 hour window, most providers are down to two hour windows, that is a lot of time for a home owner to set aside from work and their daily schedule. I waited 2 1/2 hours, keeping busy around the house when I noticed that i had just missed two calls that were 10 minutes part, both from Bonney. The first telling me if I didn't immeidately confirm the appointment, it would be cancelled and the second message ... 10 minutes later ... cancelling the appointment. At no time was I told that i would be required to reconfirm during the 4 hour window and that I would only have 10 minutes to call back or be cancelled. I called back and was offered a 2 hours extension to my existing service window, bringing it to a total of six hours, and I would once again have only 10 minutes to reconfirm that appointment. Why did I need to reconfirm ... I was on the phone with them DURING the service window and they wanted to call back at some point later in the six hours to reconfirm again, with a 10 minute deadline? Huh??? I cancelled the appointment, they effectively flushed my customer loyal down the drain. Bonney PH&AC, your service windows of 4 to 6 hours is too long, people have jobs and obligations. Combining that will a 10 minute confirmation call, which is not disclosed to your customer at the time the appointment is made is poor customer service. Granted, had I been told of the 10 minute confirmation window/call, I would not have made the appointment in the first place. Throttle back on the upsell, wait until you show up and do good work before you start pushing service programs at customers ... earn the right to have us as your customer. When I used Bonney the first time, it was pre-Angie's List ... now seeing all the negative reviews and low overall rating, I wish I had checked prior to booking you in 2016.

Description of Work
Toilet Tank Repair

08/03/2016

Michael R.

I would probably check around a little more because they were expensive. It just seemed it was a pretty quick job.

Description of Work
They repaired the flange on the toilet.

07/07/2016

John K.

I went with another company and saved over 3 thousand on this system.

Description of Work
We got an estimate that was way too high.

01/26/2016

Tom S.

See above. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
"Repaired" central house heater. Within a couple of days the same problem recurred. They tried to tell me over the phone some steps to take, but I'm no HVAC technician! Absurd. They said they would schedule a new appointment with me (not on the same day I called them, even though it was freezing). They would not say if I would be charged more, let alone get a refund for their shoddy work.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

09/18/2015

francia K.

It worked it out great. They have a membership and they do cleaning as well as plumbing.

Description of Work
Plumbing

08/21/2015

Susie C.

I paid a lot for his services, but he was great. If I could afford them, I would always use them.

Description of Work
They removed a smokestack that was made out of asbestos and installed a new water heater. He also hooked up my gas dryer.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

08/03/2015

Marjorie I.

The plumber that worked with me on that problem was really good. It was the first time I had used them.

Description of Work
Bonney Plumbing Heating Air solved a toilet problem for me. I've talked to them about an estimate on another job.

05/15/2015

Tim K.

It took them about an hour to do the repair. I think there is a one year warranty. I was satisfied. They need to improve on the cost.

Description of Work
They repaired a connection between the water main and the house that had been ruptured.

05/01/2015

Bobbi M.

I will not use them again ever. They came out and did the heating and air inspection. Their technician came down my stairs with a piece of my heating system in his hand. He said I needed a new battery but he was not holding a battery. He was holding a capacitor. He wanted to sell me the battery for $200 because he said it wasn't operating at peak performance. It's what starts the blower motor. It was a starter capacitor. He wanted to put one in for $200 because it wasn't operatong on peak voltage. It wasn't a battery. They aren't that expensive. They're not big of a deal to put in. I kept telling him my system was still under warranty with the people who installed it. He eventually said okay, that I should call them. I found out that it's not a problem if it's a little bit under voltage. If the blower motor starts, it starts and it's good. I thought they were trying to scam me.

Description of Work
I did use plumbing from Bonney Plumbing. It was on a contract where they come out once a year and inspect your heating system. They come once a year and inspect your plumbing.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

04/30/2015

Selim A.

I don't trust this company any more. I have two water heaters in my house. One failed in 2007, and another one failed in 2012. Bonney replaced both 50 gallon gas water with State unit, which the estimator said they no longer use because of quality issues. One of the replaced water heaters blew again and leaked last month. I looked at the past invoices to see if the unit was under warranty, and a prior invoice from 2012 indicated this was the unit that was replaced. I was relieved that the 6-year warranty was still in effect. The estimator came out and said the 2012 invoice was wrong and the one that just blew was actually replaced in 2007. Of course I was disappointed. They wrote an estimate with a discount because of the confusion and this being my third water heater replacement. I called a few weeks later after shopping around to schedule the work. I specifically asked the Bonney phone rep to confirm the price with a supervisor, and he placed me on hold and later confirmed the price on the estimate. I then scheduled the work to be done. The next day, I got a call from a guy (Mark?) who claimed the offer was only good for one day and Bonney would not honor their written estimate. I still have the estimate and there is no date on it nor any indication the offer was "only good for one day" written on it. I don't remember that even being mentioned. I am so frustrated with the way these guys operate and do not trust them It's no surprise they were fined $12000 for misleading business practices as reported here: http://www.kcra.com/news/state-accuses-bonney-plumbing-of-misleading-overcharging-customers/31436986 And here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article18125948.html I will NEVER use Bonny again!

Description of Work
I have two water heaters that were both replaced by Bonney with 50 gallon State gas water heaters, one in 2007, one in 2012. One of the replaced units blew again a few weeks ago, and Bonney came out to estimate a third replacement. They gave an estimate and said it was discounted because of the trouble I've had and it was a third replacement. They previously made a mistake when they came out in 2012 and wrote on that invoice that the one that just blew was replaced in 2012. I assumed it was under warranty. They wrote an estimate with a discount and no date. I shopped for other estimates, then called them back a few weeks later to schedule the work. I asked the phone rep to verify the price which he did after talking to his supervisor, The next day, a guy calls and says that estimate was only good for ONE DAY. There is no indication of a date or expiration of the offer on the estimate, but Bonney refused to honor it. I think their business practices are misleading and possibly unethical.

03/02/2015

Julia A B.

We were very pleased. It is pretty well known in the Sacramento area. The service is very good. We thought that we got good quality equipment. They offer maintenance and it is pretty thorough. We have good things to say so far. My husband chose it. They were very professional.

Description of Work
We got a full heating and air conditioning last year through Bonney.

02/18/2015

Kim/Tom W.

We really like them they are honest and upfront. They are consistent with their workers who are professional. They arrive on time and take care not to make a mess. They are friendly.

Description of Work
We have a maintenance program with them for $99.00 a year for three calls.

02/10/2015

Jan H.

The serviceman was a pleasant young man whose tactics were all but pleasant. He went in the attic to inspect my heating/air conditioning system and proceeded to yell out, so that my sister and I could plainly hear him, "Oh, my God!" When he came down from the attic he showed us pictures of faulty ducting (which I still question), told me that my system was a mix match of parts (which I know isn't true after speaking with the past owner) and that the whole system had to be replaced (it has been working fine every since). The serviceman told me that my heating and air conditioning system needed to be replaced soon. He could see my distress at the $10,000 figure he gave for installing a new heating/air conditioning system and told me he would arrange a meeting the next day with a "counselor" to go over everything. The serviceman used an adjective before the word "counselor" which was similar to the word "assurance". I was insulted by this demeaning policy of having a person with such a title come out to close the deal. I was upset at the level of deception and manipulation. I don't know if the fact that I am a single, older lady made a difference in the way I was treated. If so, the policies of this company are to be questioned.

Description of Work
I asked for an estimate to have my heating/air conditioning system serviced. The serviceman came to my house, inspected my system, gave an evaluation and an approximate cost for the work to be done.

01/16/2015

Cynthia T.

The services were performed by Bruce R, employee number 138. His work was excellent. My only complaint has nothing to do with Bruce or his work. We scheduled this appt well in advance, and purchased the needed toilet and faucets, all of which we had sitting in the living room in anticipation of Bonney's visit. Bruce was part way through the annual BAM inspection when his office contacted him and asked him to find out if we would be willing to reschedule everything but the inspection because they had some kind of scheduling conflict! I refused to reschedule because it would be a major inconvenience for us! To me, the message from Bonney was that someone else's appt was more important than ours. We have been loyal Bonney customers for many years and deserve better than that. Again, the work performed by Bruce was excellent. Frankly, that's always been the case with work performed by Bonney; however, they may need to get their act together on the scheduling side of the equation.

Description of Work
Bonney performed the annual BAM plumbing inspection and performed several scheduled services, including replacing two faucets, replacing a toilet, repairing an additional faucet and draining the water heater.

Category plumbing, water heater repair

10/03/2014

CJ S.

It was okay. The work was excellent. The people were really nice but they were very expensive for what it was.

Description of Work
I used Bonney for plumbing work. They replaced the water heater.

Category water heater repair

10/03/2014

CJ S.

They have a special service where they come in and inspect everything. They make sure that it's working properly and that it doesn't need service for any reason. He missed a few things. What I didn't like was all they were doing was investigating the upsell and I hate that. I don't need to pay a guy to come in here and try to sell me stuff. The guy was clean. He was courteous. He came and he did what he was trained to go to. That's what I really like about that company, they train their people and they were very well trained. They know exactly what they're doing.

Description of Work
They also do the heating and air conditioning and they just did the annual check up.

09/24/2014

Helen Q.

They are the only vendor that comes to my house that I do not like. They have trucks all over and do advertising. Now I know how they pay for it. I have been using them for a long time and when I call them they are right johnny-on-the-spot. They will come out, but I did not realize that they overcharge. They probably charge more than anybody else. The young man who snaked my plumbing told me I needed to change my whole plumbing system from where the bathroom area was outside all the way to the sidewalk. When I asked how much this would cost he told me it would cost $5,100. He suggested that I do it fairly soon because he said it would get clogged up again. He suggested that I try not to use too much toilet tissue because it will plug it up. So I was a nervous wreck. Then I had another plumbing company come out to look at it and it ended up that I only had to replace one area and it only cost $2,000. Bonney Plumbing also gave me an estimate on my water heater because they said it was not up to code. Before I knew it, they slapped on a sticker with their name and number on my water heater. Again, their estimate to replace it was about $1,000 higher than another company that I had come out to look at it. Another thing they do is they con you into buying into their maintenance program. I paid $100 and then they come out and check things. I stopped doing this.

Description of Work
I use Bonney Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning. I had trouble with my plumbing because everything was stopped up so the young man who came out snaked it out.

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

07/11/2014

Patricia C.

I have used Bonney Plumbing on several emergency problems: backed up sink that turned out to be major problem (replaced garbage disposal at same time at good price); installed faucet; broken pipe in wall. A previous waterheater installer from Home Depot broke a pipe and "repaired it" with black galvanize pipe which we didnt know at the time. Our pipe broke and leaked all over the garage. I was frantic. Bonney Plumbing had Jason come out and turn off the water for us (I was afraid to do anything with the water heater). They came back next day and not only repaired it but provided me with enough information to get fully refunded by Home Depot insurance. I'm using them again in the next few months to replace bathroom fixtures. Jason was so nice and so professional. Love Bonney Plumbing. Good staff and good products. They don't use cheap hardware.

Description of Work
Repair pipe in wall that waterheater installer installed wrong pipe.