A Thorough Guy Home Inspections

Founded 2001 • With Angi since February 2005

913 Yosemite Dr

Placentia, CA 92870

When shopping around for a Home Inspector, it is easy to be persuaded by fancy websites, credentials, having a contractor’s license (let’s not talk about contractors), and an inspector’s years of experience. Even though a Home Inspector may have 20 years of experience under his/her belt, it does not guarantee that you will receive a thorough inspection (may be the worst inspector with experience?). What should really stand out is an inspector’s undeniable knowledge with certifications and education. Some questions one should ask before selecting a home inspector are, “What is the inspector basing all their findings upon?” and “What does he or she really know?” Here in California, the BIBLE is Title 24 the CBC (California Building Code). Home Inspectors (like myself) DO NOT perform code inspections, but who do you want for your Inspector; someone with years of experience and other credentials that may be insignificant, or someone who is CODE certified just like the city/county/jurisdictional inspectors that come out when you have permits signed off? Yes, I know that California is on a 3-year code cycle and that as of January 1, 2017, GFCI protection shall be provided for outlets that supply dishwashers installed in dwelling unit locations [2016 California Electrical Code Title 24 Part 3, 210.8(D)]. If you don’t understand or are not familiar with the CODES, how can you perform a competent and complete inspection?...

09/20/2021

Ryan L.

Mike did an incredible escrow home inspection for us. It's common for reviewers to reiterate his thoroughness, which is true, but an element my family appreciated, that we don't see mentioned often, is his thoughtfulness. Considering his inspection can take a fair amount of time, Mike brought with him a cooler full of drinks, snacks, tools, and chargers that he insisted we use at our leisure. Given that home buying experience can be very hectic, we were so appreciative of this as we'd forgotten a few essentials on our way over to the home the day of the inspection, e.g. enough to drink and a tape measure. :-) Thank you, Mike. Should we buy another home in the future, we know exactly who to call!

Description of Work
Escrow home inspection

10/17/2020

Julia E.

Mike Okamura was AWESOME as an inspector. He was slightly more expensive than the other home inspectors, but he SAVED ME MORE THAN 10 TIMES THE COST OF HIS REPORT. My electrician said it was the best home inspection report he’d seen in his entire long career. I used Mike Okamura’s report for 2 things: First, it helped me negotiate thousands of dollars off the purchase price of the house (HUGE savings.) Second, I used his detailed report as my “to-do list” for the next 5 years. He identified the high-priority tasks, so it was easy to figure out what to do first. I would use his services again without hesitation. I found him through Angie's List.

Description of Work
Inspection, prior to closing escrow on a house

09/17/2018

KATHLEEN K.

We are thoroughly satisfied with "A Thorough Guy Home Inspections". No problem making the appointment. The contract is very-well written with detailed explanations of his credentials and scope/limits of work. My husband-the-lawyer was impressed. He's not easily impressed. We were not in a rush and booked one week in advance. He arrived on schedule. He is absolutely as thorough and professional as advertised. He books only one appointment a day, so checks everything. At the end of his inspection he went over his findings with me....perhaps 45 minutes - 1 hour...there was a lot to discuss. We received the emailed full report (80+ pages) with color photos within a couple hours after he left. Really appreciated the color-coding of priorities; categorization by trade skill (electrical, plumbing, roof, etc.), clear and precise writing. Our house is older with a lot of deferred maintenance and we needed a way to get our minds around all the things that need to be done and with some prioritization. Our inspection report has given us all that. Highly recommend for anyone considering a major remodel.

Description of Work
We wanted a neutral, written home inspection before we started our remodel project.

11/15/2017

Cynthia T.

I would not hesitate to recommend Mike to anyone else, and I would not even consider hiring any other person for future inspection needs.

Description of Work
Home inspection prior to purchase

11/15/2017

Cynthia T.

Mike is, indeed, very thorough. He showed up 30 minutes early and got started right away. My husband and I were both present, as were my realtor and a plumber friend. All of us were very impressed with Mike's attention to detail, not just with his findings but also in the way he clearly documented them to us. He spent more than 5 hours going through every corner of the home, and then he spent another hour with my husband and I going through the report. His report was invaluable to us in our negotiations w/the home seller, and it was a good lesson to us in discerning what things are a big deal and which things are liveable. I would not hesitate to use Mike again and I will (and have) referred him over and over again. When Mike starts his inspection, he will tell you that his job is to point things out and that those things may or may not be a big deal. I think it's important to keep this in mind so that you don't freak out and feel like the home you are buying is about to be condemned. And for the areas that he does not point out as potential problems, you can rest assured that those areas are pristine. I have no doubt that Mike is the best at what he does. Good service, nice guy. WORTH EVERY PENNY. I'm pretty sure that the seller and seller's agent (and maybe even my agent, a little) hate him, but he was an amazing asset to my husband and I as buyers.

Description of Work
My husband and I were referred by a realtor friend to Mike. We hired him to do the home inspection for our first single family residence purchase, a flipped craftsman built in 1909.

10/06/2017

Gray T.

Mike Okamura truly lived up to his business name "A Thorough Guy." He spent about 4 hours going through our home, top to bottom, then another hour going over his report. He identified items with issues in and around our house that I didn't even know existed. He identified issues that were present in our house 12 years when we were buying it that did not show up in the inspector's report then. I like his coding system to prioritize the need for attention for each item. Although there were plenty of issues to give attention to, I am glad for Mike's report as I my house seems less of a scary mystery to me. I believe I now know exactly what needs to be done and in what order. Mike's report is worth every penny paid for it.

Description of Work
Needed a complete home inspection to identify any issues before embarking on series of remodeling projects.

08/18/2017

Jiahan D.

True to his name, Mike was EXTREMELY thorough. He arrived at the home on schedule and began with the exterior right away. The house was an older home with much deferred maintenance and his report was invaluable to us in our escrow process as well as our renovations and repairs after. His inspection lasted a pretty long time, but the comprehensive report at the end is definitely worth it. The extensive photographs and descriptions of the various areas that needed work helped us and our contractors decide on scope and extent of work we needed.

Description of Work
I hired Mike to do an inspection on a house I was in escrow for.

04/27/2017

Judith B.

Mike did a great job and was very comprehensive. We feel that we have a good understanding of the condition of the buildings on the property. Mike was on time and very professional. Thank you Mike.

Description of Work
Inspection on a duplex that we were looking to purchase.

03/09/2017

Claudia A.

He's not a salesman...very professional ..spent over 5 hours on property gave me a great deal of information He's very organized. I had a more inexpensive home inspector but Mike's professionalism was swayed me to opt for him You will not regret hiring him!

Description of Work
Home inspection

03/08/2017

Joe A.

Mike has done an outstanding job with our 1st home inspection (we would have purchased) as he saved us from what would've been a major headache. He is very thorough and communicates clearly upon his findings. We are most impressed with his professionalism as after his findings, he goes through each line item with detailed information. We are using Mike again for another home inspection and we feel he is honest and very well experienced. He is passionate in what he does as his work ethic shows he's a very reliable source.

Description of Work
Home inspection

All In Residential & Comm Building Inspection

We offer quality inspection services at an affordable price. Contact us today for an estimate!

Fernandez Home Inspections

I am a certified residential and commercial inspector. I also offer special inspections such as : Termite, asbestos, mold, radon, pools and spas, sprinkler and irrigation systems. sewer scope inspections. I am a small business owner legitimately certified and registered to the state.

Center Termite & Pest Control Inc

Family owned & operated since 1968. EcoFriendly Termite & Pest Control eradication including wood repairs with no subcontracting. Painting included at no additional charge (owner to provide paint), full house fumigation (tenting), Insulation removal and installation of TAP Insulation. Additional service area - Orange County, & Portions of Riverside & Ventura Counties. 10% discount on all Angies List members (cannot be combined with any other discount) Additional email - info@centertermite.com.

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, Check

Here are some of my credentials: * B.S. ENGINEERING Degree from California State University Fullerton * ICC (International Code Council) certified CALIFORNIA RESIDENTIAL BUILDING INSPECTOR, ELECTRICAL INSPECTOR, PLUMBING INSPECTOR, and MECHANICAL INSPECTOR (most city/county/jurisdictional AHJ inspectors are required to have ICC certifications) * CREIA (California Real Estate Inspection Association) Member & Certified Inspector since 2001 * More can find on my website at www.athoroughguy.com

Pool and Spa Inspections (I recommend consulting a pool builder/inspector and not waste your money on a home inspector "pool inspection"), Termite Inspections (I note damage and any visible issues in my 'home inspection' report but do not perform/produce a WDO (Wood Destroying Organism) state licensed 'termite' inspection report).