EXTERIOR SPECIALISTS

Founded 1989 • With Angi since January 2008

1443 E. Washington Blvd. #307

Pasadena, CA 91104

Exterior Specialists is a family owned painting company started by Chris Jones in 1989. Our mission is to offer customers superior quality workmanship with attention to detail, while providing customer service which is second to none. All work is supervised by the owner and only highly skilled employees are used. We are fully insured and hold the Better Business Bureau’s highest AAA rating. Our ultimate goal is a happy customer. We have been serving the Los Angeles area for 20 years and would love an opportunity to meet with you and answer any questions regarding your project. LICENSE #: 598568....

01/26/2021

Dean N.

Very competent and professional. Work completed quickly.

Description of Work
Rood leak repair

Category plastering

10/03/2019

C T.

Exterior Specialists did an amazing job on our house! We hired them to do a full painting of the exterior, including repairing cracked stucco in a number of areas and priming and painting our newly installed fascia. Not only did they do an amazing job with the fascia, they also patched and sealed a number of areas where our fascia wasn't flush with the rafter tails. Our house is on a hill so much of the work was 2 stories up. The attention to detail was evident even on the less visible second story areas. At any time- and multiple times- throughout the project they were very receptive to addressing any areas of concern that we pointed out. This extended to the crew that was there each day, not just Chris. We felt like we could point out an area to anyone and it would be addressed, no guilt trips, no sighs, just simply "no problem". They also painted our interior entry way, staircase, living room, hallway, and 4 doors. The interior had a number of cracks as well and they did a great job repairing and re-finishing all of the areas that looked terrible previously. We couldn't be more pleased with the way the project turned out, and we can't recommend Chris and his team strongly enough.

Description of Work
Exterior/Interior Painting, Crack Repair

Category plastering,pressure washing,house painters,interior painters

09/13/2019

David & Barbara M.

The crew did an excellent job of "prepping" and painting. They were very professional. The new paint looks great.

Description of Work
Painting of exterior wood trim and a metal outdoor shed. Extensive prep work was needed.

04/20/2018

Joan T.

The project went very well and we are pleased. Called the office after finding an Exterior Specialists flyer on our small single-story home's front porch months earlier. I had held onto the flyer it as I knew the job needed to be done but we had no clue about which painters we might use. Before calling anyone, I checked licensing, etc., on the State Contractor's Licensing Board website. We interviewed one other painter first (and were not too impressed with that offer or the owner). The office staff is first rate at Exterior Specialists, very professional and knowledgeable.. I was already halfway 'sold' after just speaking to Christi when I first called. I was told that Chris Jones, company owner, would come to our house and he arrived at the appointed date and on time. Chris looked at the entire property and gave me an on-the-spot written quote, which was nice. Talked to my husband and then called to book the job two days later. Work began within days and Chris's team worked straight through to completion. Everyone was very pleasant and professional and Chris Jones is absolutely delightful. We received the one-year warranty and assurance that if anything needed fixing, we should just call. A couple of areas blistered a little on some stucco near the ground level and I know that is not an uncommon occurrence. Chris had seen it, too, when he did his final walk-through and days later it was repaired and is perfect now. We would definitely utilize the painting services of Exterior Specialists again, and don't plan on waiting too many years to do it next time.

Description of Work
Exterior stucco and wood trim in much need of repair and new paint -- waited many years between paint jobs.

Category pressure washing,house painters

10/24/2017

NANCY S.

They did a great job. I was very impressed with the men that did the work. It was over 100 degrees the week they did the work and they got it done on time and had a great attitude.

Description of Work
The house and garage needed to be painted, including stucco repair.

10/08/2017

ALEXANDRA H.

The estimator was courteous and punctual. But he said that we had mildew under our eaves, possibly due to needing to re-roof. He said that we should check that out before re-painting. He said that the job would be charged on a time and materials basis rather than giving a bid price. My husband checked the roof, and it seemed in good shape to him. Two other painters gave bids; they did not see mildew under the eaves. The painter who did the paint job, now completed, did not mention mildew under the eaves. I don't know why the estimator with Exterior Specialists brought up a mildew issue that didn't seem to exist. But had my husband not checked the roof, we possibly could have been led into re-roofing when it wasn't necessary.

Description of Work
Re-painting trim and eaves of house; replacement of damaged wood in deck and patio roof and then, repainting them.

Category house painters

I stand by my original assessment. There were extensive mildew issues with these eaves, not dirt, which indicates a moisture problem. I did not say she needed a new roof but suggested that she might want to have a roofer do an inspection so as not to invest in a whole new paint job that would be ruined later. Some contractors will not mention water problems because it will delay them getting the job. It could be a gutter problem, roofing problem, but there was definitely a moisture problem that paint will not fix. I have been in business nearly 30 years and there is no advantage to me cautioning them, other than to help.

12/12/2016

Larry C.

We own an old home in the historical district with many widows in rough shape. Chris came out to give the estimate, made good suggestions and had a very hoard working and professional staff. He came by to check the work regularly, we would recommend him.

Description of Work
Exterior paint, lots of window work.

05/26/2016

VIRGINIA D.

We had a very good experience with Chris Jones, and Exterior Specialists. They are a very professional company, the same crew came every day. The guys were extremely good, they didn't rush any part of the job. We have a lot of wood windows and doors that were in dire need of painting and they have made them all look new. We were pleased with their prep work as well which was extensive. They remained neat throughout the job, they were very good in covering floors, and furniture. And outside they were protective of the greenery around the house. When working inside the house they were very conscious of our privacy, and worked around us. They did little extra things for us, and made suggestions on making something look better. Chris Jones and his crew are very patient and I appreciated that very much in trying to decide on colors, textures, and styles. Exterior Specialists came recommended to us from a friend who is a professional realtor in the area, who uses the company.. We had multiple bids, this company was not the lowest, but the end result is excellent and we would use them again and again.

Description of Work
painted inside and outside of home

05/05/2016

Lauren J.

We have used Chris on three separate occasions. Chris painted our 1907 craftsman in March of this year. We found his price to be very competitive as compared to other estimates and he seemed to be a lot more thorough regarding the prep work that was required. Chris helped us with color choices and was very easy to work with. His crew was friendly and cleaned up every day. Chris went above and beyond to ensure our satisfaction with the job. The first time we used this company was about nine years ago and the job still looks fantastic. I would highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Prepared and painted the exterior of our 1907 craftsman home.

04/11/2016

Lance C.

Long story short, we paid them extra to do what they call the super great job to prep the house. Within 10 months the paint started peeling off the house in sheets. It took me around a year just to get them to return my call. So they came to fix them and the new color didn't even match the old paint and started to peel a couple months. I already have to get my house painted again. It was just an all around bad experience.

Description of Work
They painted the exterior of our home. They did some supposed window repair as well. I have a home built in the 20s and they specifically say they specialize in older homes.

Category house painters

The first call back from this member was 2 years after the job was completed. This house has no eaves. Unfortunately, no amount of paint is going to hold up if water is getting in BEHIND the paint from the roof. This is a roofing problem, not a painting problem. We went back and addressed the problem even though it was not caused by a failure of the paint.

03/23/2016

Megan G.

I got a mailer on the front door and called Chris for an estimate. He was there the next day with a very reasonable price compared to the other quotes we got. He had reviews to show me along with referral phone numbers, price quotes, and a contract. He was very professional compared to the other quotes I got - which were just verbal estimates, and "take my word for it" kinds of things. Philippe and Roberto started the job the day after we hired Chris. Their work was really artful. They were so precise, they were friendly, and they worked their butts off. They truly made the house look beautiful. And believe me - it was in terrible shape. It hadn't been painted in about 50 years. They did all the necessary repairs, sanded, fixed the stucco, which was in major disrepair... they made it look like a brand new house, and they finished in 5 days, including a full clean up. I cannot recommend this company enough!

Description of Work
We hired Exterior Specialists to paint the exterior of our house. It had not been painted in about 50 years.

Category house painters,interior painters

03/30/2015

Paul N.

Provided a detailed proposal describing the work that would be done and the materials and methods that would be used. Answered our questions quickly and comprehensively. They took good care of our property - they covered our cars to protect them from dust and overspray, and each day put up plastic sheeting to capture the dust from the extensive prep work that was needed. They taped around the windows inside the house to prevent the entry of dust. At the end of each day they cleaned up the area so there was no dust to deal with. The sanding work was very good - smooth, with no gouging of the soft redwood siding. They repaired cracks and holes with Bondo and sealed joints and gaps with siliconized acrylic latex caulk. The paint application was smooth and nicely brushed out. The cutting-in on the trim was precise. When the work was done, the doors and the wooden double-hung windows all worked fine. Their time estimate was spot-on and their price was reasonable. We are very pleased with the appearance of the finished product. We highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
Painted our house and garage exteriors.

10/17/2014

Margaret H.

Things went well and just as Chris said they would. We first met at the house and surveyed the work in detail. Chris was both professional and polite in his approach. He was consultative and made some good suggestions on how to improve the results. The written quote was clear and descriptive. The crew was on-site a total of 4 work days, The results look great and we are pleased with the job.

Description of Work
Exterior Specialists painted the entire exterior of our home (stucco, fascia board, wood trim, doors, metal porch railings etc.). They also painted the retaining walls adjacent to the rear and one side of the house. This included all prep work and cleanup. The surfaces were all pressure washed, which we appreciated.

Category pressure washing,house painters

10/12/2014

Steven C.

We will return without hesitation to Chris Jones and his team at Exterior Painting. Our 1922 California Revival Craftsman home has an historic designation. Chris specializes in these types of buildings and his craftsmanship reflects the respect and appreciation he has for their historic importance. Both the exterior and interior work was pristine. We worked with Robert for both projects. Robert was on time every day, worked all day long and always left the area clean and tidy at the end of each day. Chris is timely in his responsiveness to calls and showed up regularly to check on progress and inquire if there were any concerns. We were very satisfied with the cost of our two projects. We feel that Chris' rates are competitive and reasonable. His bids were not the most expensive or least expensive. We prefer to not provide the actual amount we paid for the two projects Chris did for us because every house's needs are different and it would be unfair to not only other home owners but to Chris to give an amount here that is not accurately reflective of the needs your house has.

Description of Work
Exterior painting of 1922 Craftsman home in the Monrovia area of So. Cal. Interior painting and plaster repair of same home involving bedroom, bathroom and plaster repair original 'rough' finished hall plaster

Category plastering,house painters,interior painters

08/14/2014

Nancy C.

They did an excellent job, very excellent finish and prep work. If you want a Beverly Hills paint job for cheaper than Beverly Hills prices I recommend them.

Description of Work
I hired them to paint three buildings.

10/24/2013

JAY H.

I called Chris for an estimate to paint the exterior of our home. He came out and we walked around discussing all the areas that would need to be addressed. The trim, porch and garage were all peeling badly and the job would require a lot of prep work to be done correctly. His estimate covered all the aspects of the job that would be covered. I received four estimates and his was very reasonable. He was able to begin the job the following week. I get home from work in the mid-afternoon so I was able to monitor the progress of his team on a daily basis. I discussed areas of concern with his men and they took care of each of them to my satisfaction. When they finished the job after five days they cleaned up the mess and left the place neat. They did a thorough, professional job and I am very happy with the result. I recommend Exterior Specialists for your home painting needs.

Description of Work
Painted the outside of our home, including the garage, two fences and a retaining wall.

09/27/2013

John P.

Here are the reasons why I strongly recommend Exterior Specialists: *Chris and his crew were both friendly and trustworthy. I felt completely relaxed in having them inside and outside the house while I was there or away from the home. *They do excellent work. It's clear that they know their craft and that they have an eye for detail. The areas that were done in a shoddy fashion before we moved in now look detailed. *They are punctual. Getting work done on the house oftentimes comes with ambiguous nature of your contractor's calendar. Not so with Chris. The timeline was prompt and efficient. We were in the midst of getting ready to have a baby and needed to have the work done before a certain date. They knocked things out with time to spare. *The price was excellent. *Chris's availability by phone was great, as was his follow-up after the job was done. The minimal touch-ups that I wanted done after the job was complete were handled promptly and with care.

Description of Work
Chris and his crew painted the exterior of my house, including all the stucco, wood siding, and trim.

09/11/2013

TONY K.

We were nervous at first that the process would be a very complicated and tedious based on experiences with contractors in the past, but my fears were put to rest. From the very beginning everything was explained to me in a clear and concise manner. Chris Jones, the owner of Exterior Specialists came out promptly to provide an estimate and walked us through various ideas based on what our requirements were. The service was prompt and our home was clean and neat at the end of every day. Exterior Specialists were willing to work around my time and schedule to accommodate my needs. Chris Jones, the owner was very prompt and showed up every time as promised as well as his employees. We explained our budget at the beginning and Chris was very thorough to ensure we received the best value for the amount of money we wanted to spend due to our budget. We even received an Angie's List 10% discount. Also, Chris uses long term employees, some have worked for him nearly 20 years. There were no day laborers and the crew was very polite and professional. After the job was completed, Chris insisted on a personal walk through the entire exterior and promptly addressed the few minor requests we had and touched them up on the spot. We thought there would be much more touch up required however, there was basically nothing to request be touched up. Chris fixed our gates and painted the entire back yard fence too. I think the paint job added an extra 5 years to the fence we thought might need replacing right away. We would like to have Chris and Exterior Specialist come back to paint some outdoor furniture. We could have done this as Chris offered to paint the furniture for a nominal fee however, the job came out so good, we gave a tip to his workers instead. We hope to have Chris back in the near future when we save up some more money. We are so glad we made the decision to go with Exterior Specialists rather than a fly by night company or a big chain company because we feel the value of the job far outweighs the competition (we interviewed 6 companies). We will definitely call upon Chris Jones and Exterior Specialists for future painting jobs and gladly recommend them to family, friends and neighbors. Chris said the job would take two weeks and they finished right on schedule. Thank you Chris and your crew for making our house look like a home again - nice, bright, clean and just as nice as it must have been back when it was built in 1949.

Description of Work
Paint entire exterior of home and all back yard fencing. Our house was in need of an exterior paint job.

06/07/2013

Nancy F.

Arrived on time (after I changed the start date a few times) and got to work. His two foremen were diligent in the prep work - key to properly painting anything and especially an old house! Lots of sanding and priming. They worked a full day, were polite and responsive to questions. When the full crew was here, they stayed on task. Not much messing around. The only criticism I have - and it is minor - was the amount of trash around during the job. I am a bit of a neat-nik and found myself picking up empty water bottles, old tape, discarded calking tubes, etc. At the very end they did a nice cleanup. And to be fair, I never mentioned this along the way. Had I, it most likely would have been addressed. Other than that, they did a great job.

Description of Work
Chris' team painted every inch of my large, old beautiful house and detached garage with care and attention to detail. I have a 1927 Tudor style home that had been a rental for 7 years before I bought (#neglected). It was painted for sale 10 years ago (quick cheap paint job) and I finally got around to giving it the paint job it deserved. Chair and team did a very nice job including several (minor) repairs to the stucco and wood trim. Chris was also helpful in recommending other contractors to help with specific needs.

06/04/2013

Steve B.

Very good experience. On time, courteous employees, we had a couple of changes, and Chris happily took care of it. Would recommend for anybody looking for affordable quality housepainting.

Description of Work
Painted House

05/10/2013

brian P.

I live in a 1955 Ranch home in the San Fernando Valley which I last painted 16 years ago. It was in pretty terrible shape with lots of wear and tear, peeling paint and some windows in such horrible condition I feared they might need to be replaced entirely. Chris and his team were able to repair all of those windows without issue and looking at them now you would never know what awful condition they had been in. They patched, sanded, stuccoed and primed for a full four days before the real painting even began repairing every flaw on every surface. The painters were neat and precise and did an outstanding job with all the prep and painting. My goal was to evoke a Mid-Century style through the paint and color scheme and the results are better than I ever expected. I had them paint every door to my house a different color hue which they did without question and it looks great. The 3 workers were upbeat and pleasant at all times and responded to all of my requests quickly and happily. Chris came by once or twice each day and oversaw everything and promptly addressed every question or concern I had. I can't stop stepping outside and staring at my freshly painted home, it looks like a new house.

Description of Work
Chris and his guys prepped and painted the entire exterior of my house which hadn't been painted in many years and required quite a bit of patch and repair.

05/06/2013

Katja G.

We selected Exterior Specialists in part because of the positive reviews on Angie's List. Unfortunately, our experience does not mirror those other reviewers had, and we were disappointed with the work done at our home. Our estimation process was efficient, and the project began when planned. Unfortunately, the quality of the painting was lacking. Because our painting job involved interior cabinetry and a relatively complicated exterior section, we really needed careful work--which is not what we got. We had repeated problems with mismatched paint, large drips, missed areas or areas with different numbers of coats of paint, and clumps in the paint. The painter did not use to tape to mark edges, so the detail work all looks very sloppy rather than having the clean, straight edges we expect. Chris was responsive to our concerns and came back out to review the job. Unfortunately, his attitude was largely defensive (he kept insisting that the painter working on our project was one of his most experienced; he may well be, but that doesn't change that he did shoddy work at our house). The door knobs and handles in the areas painted were left covered with paint. Paint was splattered on our floor. We have one cabinet that was repainted twice, but still has a major flaw in it because some kind of debris was caught in the paint, leaving a discolored lump on an otherwise smooth surface. Several doors were included in our project; the painter closed them right after painting them, which resulted in flaws in the paint that he assured us would "come off" when the paint was dry, which has not been the case. Outdoors, the clean-up was poorly-done, leaving us with piles of old caulking to pluck out of our landscaping. I had to spend 20 minutes scrubbing the paint and caulk off of the exterior door knob. We will not be using this company again.

Description of Work
Our project included painting interior doors and cabinetry, as well as exterior doors and walls.

Category house painters

If only it were possible to please everyone. This contract was for touch up work. The owner stated she had all the paint and provided it, which is fine, but then consequently color mismatches were due to her. The client informed me that she had fired many painters and correcting previous sub-par work on a "touch-up" basis is nearly impossible unless the whole area in question is redone. The "flaw" in the cabinet door was created by a deep scratch from a huge dog. The door is plywood and needed replacement . They said that was not in the budget, so I told them I would do what I could. The client continually asked my workers to do work that was not contracted for or paid for and then seemed dumbfounded when I asked them about it. Caulking and paint splatters... one or two that were cleaned up....total exaggeration. I kept giving her work for free, taking off the charge for everything she was not happy with, but still she was not happy. I followed up and made suggestions, but she rejected all of them. What can you do...

07/01/2012

christine K.

The job went great! Chris went out of his way to help me with color selections. His crew was on-time, neat, and paid attention to detail. They were very professional and accommodating and cleaned up at the end of each day. Both Chris and his foreman checked in with me often to make sure everything was going smoothly. In fact, the job was finished a couple of days ahead of schedule. Overall, I'm very happy.

Description of Work
Painted the exterior of my one-story house & attached garage: stucco, wood siding, windows & doors. They also repaired areas where the stucco and wood were damaged.

05/16/2012

Jae T.

competetive pricing/estimate, showed up on-time, professional conduct, except when workers dug a hole in my back yard and buried unused paint, which I stepped on, fell into, ruined a pair of shoes, had to point out some obvious mistakes, promptly corrected, would use this co again

Description of Work
exterior house painting

Category house painters

It was unfortunate that the sprayer tipped over in a hilly area of this client's yard. Every effort was made to dig OUT all paint that was possible. We hope that the substantial credit and free extra labor hours helped to compensate for the inconvenience and the loss of flip flops.

04/10/2012

Jeanne L.

The painting of our house went really smoothly except for us freaking out about the color we choose. Chris was great with us he got sample colors and spent time with us ... explained every detail, he wanted us to be happy and we are!