Collision Auto Repair Specialist

Founded 1979 • With Angi since January 2012

184 N Meridith Ave

Pasadena, CA 91106

For the best possible service, give us a call (626 796 3634) to make an appointment and let us know when you’ll be coming by - ask specifically for Ray or Collision Auto so we can honor your coupon and provide exceptional service! Collision Auto Repair Specialist (C.A.R.S.), established here in Pasadena in 1979, has been serving the community with quality work for decades. C.A.R.S was awarded the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and the 2017 Super Service Awards in recognition for the exceptional ratings we receive from our customers, year after year....

10/21/2020

Chester Y.

I've never written a review before but Ray over at Collision Auto Repair Specialist gave me such quality treatment that I felt the need to start here. I came in with a messed up driver's side door on my Toyota Prius and had such negative expectations on the work and price due to quotes and reports of OTHER auto body shops in the area. Ray told me upfront the best price by far and told me I would have the car back within the week. We got to talking and he told me about his life and how he does his work to help support his kids in school and I felt that my car was in the right hands. Even after raising the price I felt comfortable giving him the keys as he was honest about the job straightforward about the work that needed to be done. Even after a price hike he still gave me the best price! Speaking of honest, I got my car back in 4-5 days (I can't remember which) and I couldn't tell that I had been in an accident. I couldn't even tell what side had been hit. The paint work was matched with the rest of the body and the door was like new. BEST SERVICE IN TOWN! HONEST AND FAST!

Description of Work
Repair of drivers side door after collision

03/07/2019

Joan C.

Ray took lots of care and much attention to detail and assessed what was needed and took care of many maintenance items on the car. He made sure the car was safe to drive. It now runs very well and the car is a reliable transportation vehicle. He went above and beyond what I expected and charged a very fair price. He also explained each step and got permission for the various actions and expenses along the way. I live out of state and am glad that I trusted him to use his experience and judgment about the car. I am extremely pleased with the results and would recommend him to anyone who needs a competent and trustworthy person to take care of their vehicle repair/maintenance needs.

Description of Work
Ray took a car that had been sitting for almost 3 years and checked it out and got it road-worthy for a family member to use as their daily transportation.

Category auto detailing, auto repair

Thank you so much for your kind words! Any time I can be of help, don't hesitate to reach out.

08/27/2018

Kristan B.

Ray of Collision Auto Repair Specialist is very easy to work with and delivers exceptional work. He worked within my schedule and made arrangements to be available when it was most convenient for me to drop off and pick up my car. He offered a free loaner vehicle during the time my car was in his care which I did not need. He did give me a ride back to my house after dropping off the car. The car was done when he said it would be and it looked great. The color of the car is somewhat unusual, and he did a terrific job matching the paint. The final price was the price quoted. The car was freshly washed when we came to pick it up. He had even offered to deliver the car if necessary. I will use Collision Auto Repair Specialist in the future.

Description of Work
Body work and Paint

Category auto body repair, auto painting

05/08/2018

John K.

Outstanding service and high quality work. Ray was very helpful and even stayed late to get the job done early (I had an unexpected scheduling mixup).

Description of Work
Minor repair to get car ready for lease turn-in

Category auto body repair, auto painting, auto repair

Thank you so much [Member Name Removed] for your nice and kind review.

08/08/2017

Howard S.

The repair of right rear tail light went very well. Was truly pleased. That's why I returned for the second job. That was done well also, but it was very delayed. He forgot to order the part after two weeks. I kept calling him. He never called me once. It took over three weeks for that little part to be ordered and installed, and I felt the price was not discounted for my inconvenience. I would go again, because his guy does excellent work. I just know I how to stay on him as the owner.

Description of Work
Went to him twice. First to replace rear right tail light on my car. Second, went back for rocker panel molding on passenger side of car.

Category auto body repair

I would like to thank [Member Name Removed] for giving us the opportunity to serve him. I would also appreciate if you would have given us a complete review and your reason for coming back to us for the first job that we did for you. Mr. [Member Name Removed], your statement implies that your car needed a major repair and that we forgot to order the parts and we did not respond to your many calls. It was nothing like that at all. Your 97 infiniti Q45 needed a few clips which we had to order from the dealer and in the meantime you were in possession of your car and were driving it while we had to wait to get the clips. The infiniti dealer brought the wrong clips in first time and they had to reorder them. Therefore, the delay was beyond our control. Also I would like to remind Mr. [Member Name Removed] that every time you called, either I answered the call or If busy, I did returned it, so it is not really fair to state that I did not respond to your calls. In view of the fact that not many other body shops, due to the nature and cost of the repair, would make the time and effort to go through what we had to, We are so glad that our facility accommodated you and provided you with the service. Mr. [Member Name Removed] we thank you again that you came by and gave us the chance to serve you and do appreciate your business. Our intention has been and always will be to provide the best quality service possible for every customer with the complete satisfaction. Thanks again

06/23/2017

A G.

Ray was extremely helpful and professional, and he gave me two options (at different price points) for the body repair work my car needed. I got estimates from 6 different repair places in and around Pasadena, and Ray's estimate was $400 cheaper than any other estimate. The repair turned out great, it took less time than I expected, and I was extremely pleased with the result. Collision Auto Repair doesn't have a fancy building or a marble waiting room like other (very expensive) body shops, but I didn't want or need those amenities. What I needed was a quality repair at a good price, and that's what I got. I highly recommend Collision Auto Repair.

Description of Work
I needed to repair a dented and scratched front fender on my 6-month old car that occurred from a hit-and-run accident. Unfortunately, the repair was going to cost less than my insurance deductible, so I needed to find an auto body repair place with reasonable prices because I was going to have to pay for the repair completely out of pocket. (Ouch.)

05/11/2017

DELANEY J.

Would not honor Angie's list coupon.

Description of Work
Would not honor Angie's list coupon!

Category auto repair

02/01/2017

DAVE F.

They did a great job. Prompt and charged just what they estimated. even provided cheap rental car.

Description of Work
body work and paint

07/18/2016

wilma H.

I thought he was going to paint the whole car, but he did not. All he painted was the pumper and the hood which was a fine job but I had a scratch on my left side and thought he would paint the whole car, but he did not.

Description of Work
I had the front pumper fixed, the paint was piling. I had a dent fixed in the back as well.

Category auto repair

I, as a body shop estimator, listen very carefully to each and every customer with regard to the repair of the their car and then write an itemised estimate with the price and submit it to the customer as required by law. We never do any repairs for any customer based on verbal agreement which in itself is not legal or binding. It is inconceivable that our facility do a complete paint and body work for a 2007 toyota camry with quality body work, paint, and clear coat for $1700.00. Additionally, I did not hear from the above mentioned customer for the job we had done on July 20, 2015 till I observed the attached posting by her dated July 18, 2016 exactly one year later. All she had to do was to bring her complaint, if there was any valid one, to my attention with the estimate and then we would have done much more to her satisfaction. We all should be fair and honest in our judgments and not to discredit the reputation of a business which has served its community with honesty and integrity for more than 30 years. In conclusion, If in her grading, Quality, Responsiveness, Punctuality, and Professionalism were all "B" and only the price to which she had agreed is "C" and the answer to Hire Again is "yes" therefore, anyone can do his/her analysis and come up with the fair assessment of the situation.

07/03/2016

Robert B.

Ray is in the highest class of warm, personable and responsive professionals. He is definitely on your side and not the side of the insurance company. He will consistently work to get every penny's worth of benefit that you are spending on your insurance premiums if you need to file a claim. He will demand that parts which need replacing are new and not refurbished. He does not take shortcuts. And because of this, and the fact that it's a small shop, sometimes it takes a bit longer. Insurance companies move at their own glacial pace and when Ray requires that their adjusters respond to a modification of the initial estimate because of a new problem uncovered as work progresses, he will stay on them until they approve what he has requested. He does not make do or settle for less than getting your vehicle back to its initial perfect condition. We have used Ray's services three times now and once was for repair work on my Audi RS5 I did not want to submit to my insurance. The cost was significantly less than estimates I received from other local shops. And the outcome was perfect. Ray took the time to explain why, even though the dent was in the left rear quarter panel, that the repainting must cover a much larger area in order to blend in. He also has a small fleet of rental cars at very reasonable rates. So when your insurance company suggests a couple of "preferred" repair shops (which is code for "they'll do what we tell them to do and get the parts we tell them to get") just go see Ray and tell them "thanks, but I want to go to Collision Auto Specialist".

Description of Work
Repaired passenger side of car and rear wheel from a side swipe accident. This was covered by the other drivers' insurance. In January 2016 Ray did a non-insurance claim repair on my Audi RS5 (this is the one that cost $1400).

03/15/2016

julia H.

results were good. still waiting on a quote for scratch repair.. this shop seems a little understaffed.

Description of Work
they honored the coupon for one headlight, but requested payment for the second light.

Category auto body repair, auto repair

Hello [Member Name Removed], I apologize for the delay for the estimate. I thought we would be given a chance to do mechanical repair and that is the reason I did not take any pictures at the time to be able to write an accurate estimate whereas I should have. However, if you would please be kind enough to take some pictures of the panels which need repairs and send them, in addition to the regular discount as a member, we would give you $100.00 discount for your inconvenience towards the body repair. Thanks

03/07/2016

Marlina S.

I brought my car in with a torn up bumper. :-( Ray and Shanaz worked hard to make sure the job was done right! My car looks like new! I couldnt be happier with his service and will return for future auto repairs. Thank you so much!!!!

Description of Work
Replaced my bumper

Category auto body repair, auto repair, car washes

11/07/2015

Deborah M.

I highly recommend Collision Auto Repair Specialist. I have a very difficult schedule so I called Ray the day before and said I would like to come in the next day at a specific time to get a quote to repair the car. (We were not using insurance due to high deductibles). I sensed that the time I was requesting was not very good for Ray but nonetheless he was very accommodating. When we arrived, Ray was ready and greeted us warmly. He was professional at all times and takes clear pride in a job well done. He gave us a very good quote (we had another which was much higher) and we accepted on the spot. He took the car in the following business day and prepared us for a five day process but he finished in three days. The quality of the work was excellent--the car looks brand new. It was a pleasure to do business with Ray. I would refer him to all my family and friends!

Description of Work
The provider repaired a long scratch/dent down the entire passenger side of the car.

06/23/2015

CAROL KASPER W.

This is a very courteous service. They looked for the least expensive replacement parts so it would cost the least to fix my ten-year-old car. It took a few days, but it was complete.

Description of Work
Replaced torn-off front bumper and other damaged parts of Toyota RAV 4.

06/08/2015

Peter O.

I should mention that this work was done outside my auto insurance policy owing to the amount involved and a relatively high deductible on my policy. The work was completed on schedule, and there were no cost overruns or hidden charges. I dealt directly with Ray, the owner of the business, who had worked previously as an engineer and had acquired this company. I thought he was very professional and fair. Quality of work was high, and they were very attentive, even giving me a lift to my house after I dropped off the car. Lastly, I was impressed with their interest in receiving feedback from me after the work was done. I would definitely use this company again.

Description of Work
Remove dent and repaint left front fender panel. Remove small dent in front bumper cover.

05/21/2015

Georgia S.

I was involved in an accident in March and the first place I took it to said it was a total loss and couldn't fix it and told me to find some place else. I found Collision Auto Repair Specialist on Angie's List and called him. When I took the car to Ray he told me it was possible to fix it like new and he was right. Hopefully there will be no more accidents, but if there are I know where to go immediately. My car is a 1989 Ford Crown Victoria so parts were not readily available,,but Ray worked his magic right down to the paint job. I am very happy with the job and would recommend his company to anyone who needs a repair. Thanks Ray for a job well done. The car looks like new.

Description of Work
The provider promised he could fix the car like new and he did

04/28/2015

Kenneth M.

I checked the glowing reviews in Angie's List and was so impressed by the reports that I didn't bother to get any other body shop estimates. This is the first time that I've gone with someone without getting other quotes for body work. I was going to my Lexus dealer for some numbers but figured that CARS will beat them easily since dealers have always charged me more than independent shops. By the way, the price is based on the fact I was paying out of pocket without insurance reimbursement. I met the owner, Mr. Ray Akramian, when I brought my car for the work estimate. He explained in detail what he was going to do and gave me his honest opinion on my options as to how the car will be repaired which affects the final price. Mr. Akramian also described how the detail estimate was determined and estimated how many days the work would take (3-4 days). If I went the cheaper route, it would have taken 1.5 days, but the repair work would not last as long. I brought my car in on Monday morning and picked it up on Friday. I asked why the job appeared to take five days instead of the estimated 4 days and Mr. Akramian explained that the clock starts ticking the day after I drop off the car. This was not a problem for me since I was not in a rush. But, you may wish to clarify the timing for your job to avoid any misunderstanding. I expected a superb job from Mr. Akramian and his staff and that's what I got. The Lexus looks great and no one will ever know that it had a run-in with a concrete column. He gave the car a wash before handing the keys over to me. Thanks, Mr. Akramian and Angie's List!

Description of Work
Collision Auto Repair Specialist (CARS)repaired the rear passenger door and corner panel of my Lexus after I failed to clear a concrete column in a parking garage while pulling out of a parking space.

Category auto body repair, auto repair, car washes

04/07/2015

Daniel W.

I was pretty happy with the service. The owner was really nice and gave me a reasonable price. I had similar work done at a different body shop a few years ago and the prices were comparable. They also gave me a rental at $15 per day which was pretty helpful since I was paying for all of the repairs out of pocket. They finished the work faster than originally estimated and the repairs look great. The paint job blended in really well.

Description of Work
Replaced driver side mirror and repaired driver side door and front panel

03/11/2015

VINCENT B.

Ray is the best auto body professional I have dealt with over many years in the Los Angeles area. He is very knowledgeable, professional, friendly, courteous and completely honest. He is dedicated to doing the best possible job for a fair and reasonable price, and he explains each aspect of the work that is needed and why it is needed. He will go out of his way to ensure that you are satisfied with the work performed, and jump through hoops to get your car back to you as quickly as possible, even if, as in my case, you are only able to give him a day or two's notice to complete a major repair. I went to Ray based on his Angie's List rating, and boy, am I glad that I did. Ray provided me a rental car while his men worked on my car, and stayed in touch with me over a weekend so that I knew that the work was proceeding as it had to in a tight time-frame. The car was returned to me exactly when he said it would be, and for the price he said it would cost. The quality of the repair and refinish is just superb; you cannot tell that there were ever major scrapes and gouges all along the areas of my collision with a steel column in an underground parking lot. The whole door panel and quarter-panel on the rear passenger side had to be removed, repaired and refinished. It was done so well, I cannot tell even in bright sunlight the newly painted areas from the unchanged areas. Terrific. I will return to Ray whenever I have need of body work in the future, despite the fact that I live in Westwood, and he is in Pasadena --- a major hike for me to get to. Doesn't matter. Ray's that good.

Description of Work
Repaired, re-finished and painted the passenger side rear quarter-panel and door on very short notice and with a very tight deadline.

Category auto body repair, auto painting, auto repair, car rentals

03/02/2015

JACQUELINE S.

I will just say that this is a family-owned business. They are polite, professional and fair. I drove from Thousand Oaks to Pasadena, after speaking with Mr. Akramian by phone, as I was impressed with his honesty. I was not disappointed. My car was completed in two days (dropped off on Wednesday and completed by Friday). I was able to also rent a loaner car (PT Cruiser) for a nominal fee. I cannot say enough about how beautiful my car looks. Mr. Akramian and his wife are as charming as they are honest and I can recommend highly their services.

Description of Work
Body work and paint on my damaged auto panel. He did an outstanding job!

Category auto body repair, auto painting, auto repair, car rentals

01/27/2015

Charlie C.

After being told by another shop that my rear struts were leaking hydraulic fluid, I brought my 2009 Prius to CARS to get a second opinion. Ray's mechanic found that they were indeed leaking and needed to be replaced. He quoted me $400 to complete the job using the best parts - no generic brands. The other shop was about $50 higher, so I went with CARS. Ray ordered the parts and worked with my schedule to find a time to bring my Prius in that was convenient for me. His mechanic completed the job in less time than was quoted and I immediately felt that it drove better. Since then I've brought my Prius back in to have an oil change and they also rotated my tires as part of the price. I'm glad to have found CARS for all my future maintenance needs.

Description of Work
Replaced shocks/struts.

05/22/2014

Hester B.

We were very pleased with the job overall. A replacement running board had to be ordered and took a long time to arrive. Originally we were told that it would arrive in about 5 days. It ended up being about 12 days. While I understand that the delivery schedule was not under their control, I feel that they could have done a better job of letting us know the status of the order and delivery. As soon as the part was delivered, they got the new running board installed very quickly and finished the work very professionally and promptly.

Description of Work
The right running board and brackets were replaced along with a cracked light cover. They also did touch ups where the paint was damaged.

04/22/2014

Sanjay N.

I'm extremely satisfied with the work. Ray is willing to hash it out with the insurance company in order to make sure that no shortcuts are taken. The car was in the shop a bit longer than originally specified, but that seemed to be the result of a part needing to be shipped. I would definitely take my car there again. The total cost of the repairs was over $5000, but I was only responsible for the deductible.

Description of Work
Ray oversaw the repairs to the front of my Honda Civic after I rear ended another driver in a moment of carelessness. Luckily, no one was hurt. Ray provided an estimate for me and dealt with the claims adjuster after I agreed to have his shop perform the work. Every interaction was professional and courteous. I felt my questions were answered and that the work was done with a concern for detail.

Category auto body repair

Thank you for your kind words, we were glad to be able to assist you and look forward to assisting you with all of your automotive needs in the future.

02/21/2014

Laura C.

I did not shop prices around but it seemed that it was not unfair to me. They were easy to work with the appointments and they kept to the appointment time and got it done on time. Price wise it seemed okay to me though I did not compare prices.

Description of Work
I used Collision Auto Repair Specialist to replace the windshield for me.

Category auto glass

02/07/2014

Margaret G.

The front fender of the car was damaged by a parking attendant. The completed repair in 2 days as promised. Car looks good as new. The charge was less than we were quoted by other body repair shops.

Description of Work
Collision Auto Repair repaired the dent and repainted the area.

Category auto body repair, auto painting