Boston Brick & Stone, Inc

Founded 1992 • With Angi since April 2006

2005 Lincoln Ave

Pasadena, CA 91103

If you have noticed that your older home or building is beginning to show its age, you need to bring in experts to ensure the home’s beauty and structural integrity are both preserved. At Boston Brick & Stone, Inc., our Pasadena masonry contractors have had 25 years of experience, and we lead the industry in Southern California historical restorations. Our family-owned business is renowned throughout the area for the high quality of our work, and we have worked on thousands of projects since we opened our doors in 1992.Whether you need work done on your fireplace, chimney, hardscape, driveway, or a full restoration of your building, we can help you! Our impeccable work has been featured on HGTV, and we have completed projects for clients such as the National Park Service, the Pasadena Rose Parade, West Adams Heritage Association, Best Buy, and APEC Eurostat GECF – Joint Organizations Data Initiative. We have been featured in Best of Pasadena, Best of LA, and Top 10 in Home Décor, and are Angie’s List Super Service Award winners from 2009-2017. Call our team today to schedule your estimate!...

07/29/2017

Quintin S.

...........................................................................................

Description of Work
......................................................................

Category patios

06/12/2017

Bonnie S.

They were responsive but bid was too high and not detailed enough for what we wanted so we did not use this contractor (found a better one for our purposes).

Description of Work
We had a cracked chimney and a report from an inspector detailing exactly what work needed to be done.

Category chimney repair

05/17/2017

Barbara W.

excellent job...on schedule, perfectly done...as always!

Description of Work
removed existing patio and replaced...in the process, had to rebuild porch steps to code.

Category concrete repair,chimney repair,patios

02/24/2017

james B.

Dave and his team were punctual, clean and the quality of the work was outstanding. They took our vision and made it wore compatible to our space, all the while being respectful of our home and wishes. We would hire them again in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
My wife and hired Boston Brick & Stone to rebuild the face of fireplace in our new home.

Category masonry,chimney repair,fireplaces

08/25/2016

richard C.

Terrible experience with these guys. Hired them to spray enviroshield on cresote-treated wood in crawlspace to prevent off-gassing. Looked at work after first day and noticed some spots they missed. Told them. Looked again the next day and still not done. These guys where only spraying the sides and bottom but leaving the tops of beams untouched. They had also sprayed paint all over my insulation instead of moving it out of the way (another thing they were being paid 1000$ to do) Instead of moving all the insulation out of the way they left a great deal of it laying on top of the beams and just sprayed around and on the insulation. This made it impossible to access the tops of the beams. Insulation was also left stuck to paint on wood. A real mess. ** see photos at bottom The response i got from bringing it up was awful. I endured insult after insult saying i was a micromanager and that one out of ten customers are just complainers and that i was one of them. These guys left about 20% of work unfinished because they didn't think we would check under the crawlspace. All the tops of the support beams untreated! Entire top of mud-sill untreated!! The project manager tried to tell me it couldn't be done but when I asked the guy who was doing the actual painting he said it could, they just needed more time. They didn't seem to be able to tolerate that they had been caught rushing the job because they underestimated the work that needed to be done. I heard over and over how they were going to lose money because of this job. Well, after pulling teeth i got them to come back and spend a couple more days on it. I lost my insulation because they had torn most if it to shreds and painted it, and therefore could not be put back. It had also been left outside improperly covered for over a week during a few days of rainfall so this insulation was now torn, painted, wet, and very dirty. And they never gave me the money back (1000$ for reinstall) I also did not have them put it back because there was so much of it laying all over the floor and they said most of it was already laying there and they were not going to touch that insulation. I had just had this insulation installed 5 months prior by a professional insulation company so I doubt that the newly installed insulation was all over the floor. I believe it was an excuse by boston and brick to again not have to put in the full amount of work we had agreed upon. They keep saying.. " it was only a few spots we didn't treat...you are exaggerating".. Trust me, they didn't buy two more gallons of paint and spend two more days on the job because they only missed a couple of spots. They got caught. They knew it. And of course after they were done they missed some very obvious and accessible spots right by the basement staircase but at that point I was afraid to ask them to do it because the owner of the company seemed to become increasingly upset over the situation. He came over to "discuss" the problems with the project but I believe he just wanted to come over and give me a piece of his mind about how I was the problem and not them. He became impossible to converse with and he walked out of my home without looking at the untreated pieces of wood and the photos of the painted and torn insulation. How can he know what went on when he is unwilling to look at the evidence? I was told "You are no customer of mine", which is funny since he gladly took thousands of my dollars. Let me be clear... The contract was to treat ALL ACCESSIBLE WOOD. They did not treat all the tops of beams in order to save time and thought I would not be able to notice. They say that it was only a few pieces but from what I observed that is untrue. And still to this day the project is not fully complete but they were paid in full (5600$) for a 900sq ft mud-sill and some support beams and joists. Not a big house. No excuses for not finishing. The owner says they took all my insulation out "free of charge" yet he forgets the fact that I PAID to have the insulation REMOVED. They also NEVER offered to replace insulation from their inventory free of charge. Project manager said I had to pay for damaged insulation. Why would I have refused them to replace it for free? Keep in mind when i still found pieces of wood unfinished they did not want to do any more work because they were not making any money on the project. They did not offer once to truly finish it and would only continue to make up excuses. They didn't visit my home because of concern, they came over to argue. This happened when the CEO came and when the owner finally came. At the end of the day I felt like I had been deeply taken advantage of and was bullied when I stood up for myself. This was a very abnormally disturbing experience. No one should have to go through this. Based on all the low star reviews here, it appears others have had issues with this company as well.

Description of Work
Painted creosote treated wood in crawlspace with enviroshield to prevent off-gassing

Category foundation repair

07/25/2016

Misrahim M.

This was a big deal purchase. I never heard back from them so it wasn't a great experience. It took about a week for them to come out after I originally contacted them. I know that the promotion my husband purchased was to kind of give us a layout of the landscape and the service wasn't really completed. We never got any pricing from Boston. He was pretty punctual; the guy was here on time. We had several phone numbers that we provided them with so the mistake could not have been that nobody answered because they had three phone numbers they could have contacted.

Description of Work
They came to measure our front yard. They came out for the initial estimate or consultation.

Category landscaping,architect

03/17/2016

Cyd T.

Absolutely the best people I have dealt with. It was wonderful, from the initial estimate till the end of the job. They have tradesmen for everything. A different crew for carpentry, tile work and plastering. Everyone was friendly and kind and cleaned up well. The foreman was such a great guy. I have several dogs and had to contained them and they accommodated perfectly. I highly recommend them to anyone who needs a fireplace done. Everything was done within the time frame that they said it would be.

Description of Work
They built an entire new chimney and fire box.

Category masonry,chimney repair

03/16/2016

Judy S.

They gave me an evaluation of my chimney telling me it was unsafe and I needed $25k in work, so I did not go with them. They were late, but they let me know before arriving.

Description of Work
Chimney Sweep and Inspection

Category chimney sweep,chimney caps,chimney repair

12/16/2015

Christopher G.

The Big Deal said it would be $75 an hour based on a two man crew, but it ended up being $75 per man per hour. I asked for a project cost and it was kind of pricey. They did nice work but there were a couple of things they were a little sloppy on. They put pavers by my garage door and it wouldn't open. They wouldn't do anything and told me to cut an inch off the bottom of the door. It's a metal door. You can't cut the bottom off. The door fell off and the glass fell in my swimming pool. They said they would pay to have it vacuumed, but I called some pool companies and they said you have to drain the pool if there's glass in it. My experience turned into a real mess. They did beautiful work on the pavers. They really did very nice work. But now I've got a broken door that won't open and glass in my pool. They did some other sloppy work. I've got to redo my barbeque island because of some work they did there.

Description of Work
They installed some pavers.

Category hardscaping

12/14/2015

Paul D.

DO NOT USE. Absolutely terrible company. Our home was built in 1986; and they recommended both chimneys be rebuilt/replaced at a cost of $20,000-$30,000. Another reputable company did their own inspection and found only minor repairs needed for $2500. The only conclusion I can reach is that Boston Brick was trying to SCAM me out of $30,000 by providing bogus recommendations. Look at other reviews of this company...other people have had similar experiences to mine.

Description of Work
did a chimney inspection

Category chimney repair

This review is disingenuous as the writer does not own the home and did not purchase the report. He is in fact the Real Estate agent selling the house with vested interest in selling this home, not the health and safety of the future owners. In fairness this might be due to poor advice from supposed “reputable” yet uneducated companies. Boston Brick & Stone is a Licensed General Contractor in California, with a specialty in Masonry, particularly chimneys (including prefabricated equipment). We have the obligation to adhere to the building code. and in the case of prefabricated chimneys, the manufacturers written requirements. Many homes in Southern California constructed in the 80’s were built with prefabricated equipment. Every manufacturer of prefabricated fireplaces states the serviceable life of their products is between 15 and 25 years. This home’s fireplace is 30 years old, thus we are obligated to recommend full replacement as the original replacement parts are no longer available. We are even finding prefab units after as little as 10 years that are no longer supported by the manufacturer and can only legally be replaced. Yes, you will find chimney repair companies that will repair with aftermarket equipment. We are not one of those companies. It is your choice which product and which company you work with. We know that we will not get as many sales as the supposedly “reputable” companies that sell aftermarket equipment that is not listed by the manufacturer and therefore illegal to use because it is a building code violation. It has always been Boston Brick & Stone’s policy to consider the health and safety of the people living in the homes of the chimney’s we inspect. We rather tell the whole truth and lose the sale. Considering we have been in business for over 20 years and built, repaired and restored over 30,000 chimneys, I do not see how anyone can consider Boston Brick & Stone as a company that is out to scam our customers. We are looked to by several of our National Parks for chimney restoration because they demand excellence, perfection and adherence to safe building code practices.

Choice

MESSINEO MASONRY & CONCRETE

Here at Messineo Masonry & Concrete, we sustain our business on quality and integrity. We are experts in the masonry and concrete trades and are committed to quality from the beginning to the end of your project. We offer a wide range of masonry and concrete services to meet your project needs. Our goal is to help clients save both time and money by utilizing state-of-the-art equipment and the latest techniques. Combined with our use of the highest quality materials, we are able to ensure exceptional workmanship that is highly durable and cost effective.

Offers by MESSINEO MASONRY & CONCRETE on Angi
    Carroll Painting

We are a family owned and operated painting and pressure washing company. Our company has been in our family for 30 years. We strive to have the best customer service and treat your project like it was our own. We specialize in interior and exterior painting, stucco repairs, and we do all of our own carpentry work. We offer free estimates! Call us today !

Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Check

Complete Construction, Restoration, Inspection & Repair Of Chimneys/Fireplaces, As Well As The Unique Design & Execution Of All Landscaping Projects: Planters, Driveways, Block Walls, Retaining Walls, Custom Stone, Concrete & Brick Work.

Install Asphalt.