Boyce's Roofing & Repair

Founded 1992 • With Angi since October 2011

4.4

4083 Oceanside Blvd Ste D

Oceanside, CA 92056

Boyce's Roofing and Repair is your complete roofing contractor. Whether residential or commercial, Boyce's has the experience and expertise to take care of your project. Boyce's has been in business since 1992 with a consistent record of customer satisfaction. Boyce's also has financing available

01/23/2015

Daniel M.

The showed up on time and did the work as promised. I asked them to do a minor repair which they also did quickly and efficiently.

Description of Work
Roof inspection prior to solar installation.

Category roofing, solar panels

12/10/2014

Steve D.

I initially contacted them, but did not get much a response. They have not had time to schedule this service me.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for $99 Roof Maintenance Package.

11/07/2014

Mike C.

We recently purchased a $99 roof maintenance package from Boyce's Roofing and Repair. Yesterday Jim Boyce came out to our house and we told him about a suspected small roof leak into the attic. He looked at the location of the suspected leak through an upstairs window and told us it would cost us $650 to fix. We thought such a small repair would be covered by the deal we purchased (plus a possible additional charge for a steep-pitched roof), but Jim told us that Angie's List should not have run that ad, that he only offered the deal initially to get some leads, and that since he didn't actually go on to our roof we should be able to get a refund. We were bothered by the high quote and the fact that he told us what repairs needed to be done without ever taking a close look at the area. Since we will not be using the services of Boyce's Roofing and Repair, we request a full refund.

10/29/2014

jeff P.

Never called me to schedule an appointment.

09/10/2014

Toni B.

Boyce's Roofing and Repair reroofed my house in August 2014. Jim Boyce was personable until the proposal was signed, and then his attitude changed drastically. The entire job was started and finished in 4 days as originally estimated, thanks to his crew of workers. Jose who was the foreman was very professional and always willing to explain the process. And I thought the job looked fine at that time in August. (1) in September 2014 I gave him a good rating, but in November after the first rains and when I let him know a spacer between the rafters was broken by his people, he came out and decided it wasn't important, so refused to fix the wood spacer and I had to hire someone to fix it. (2) Now, after a hard rain in San Diego, the first rainy season after 2014 season in my area, I noticed a dripping sound coming from the attic above my bathroom that started with the rain and ended after the rain. I called him and asked him if he would have someone come out and assess if there was a roof leak and he is refusing, especially since there is no wet spot in the ceiling. He said it costs too much to send someone out. When I informed him the place above the shower has a hard shower lining and wouldn't show a wet spot, he still refused. His people boarded up the access to the area over the bathroom where the dripping sounds came from, and I can't get into that area in the attic to look for myself. He said the metal flashings can sound like a drip, however, he removed all the metal flashings on my roof when his people reroofed. I wonder what its going to cost me if this is truly a leak and he doesn't honor his contract that states clearly that there is a 5 year guarantee on all workmanship performed by Boyce's Roofing. Especially with the El Nino rains anticipated, I want him to come out at an appropriate time and assess the leak and make repairs as necessary before the rains start.

Description of Work
Replaced entire roof.

Category roofing, solar panels

07/17/2014

Robert C.

The service went fine. They also gave me an estimate for an extensive roof repair. I am considering using this company for the roof repairs. They have the best bid so far. The technicians were very thorough and happy to explain exactly what was needing repaired. They also gave me a fairly detailed bid with great explanation. I had no issues with scheduling.

Description of Work
I purchased a deal for a Roof Maintenance Package.

07/11/2014

Doris N.

He did not tell me the day he was coming. He came with short notice and I was not at home. My husband was at home at the time and paid them for the service. He is disabled and was not able to come outside to check the work done. They were only at my property for about 10-15 minutes. The contractor told me he was going to clean the gutters at the time of the service, which was not done. I called them back to inquire about the work done and the price. They said they would someone out for the gutter cleaning, but they have not been back.

Description of Work
I hired them for roofing repair and gutter cleaning.

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair, roofing

I just thought I would respond to you, we actually did come back and clean your gutters. They were finished within 2 days after we talked (about 7 weeks ago). If you have your son get up on the roof and look you will see that they have been done. I'm sorry you have been fretting over this in the past 2 months. I checked with my crew and they said no one was home the day they did it, and they didn't leave a note on the door. I apologize for the poor communication. Thank you for faith in us as your home care partner. We do take our responsibilities to you very seriously. We will be working on our communication skills as a team because of your comments.

06/27/2014

Dan S.

Jim's crew showed up about 20 minutes early and spent a good portion of the day removing and replacing the valleys as well as some other worn roof shingles on the back side of the house. The work crew was very diligent and the quality of their work exceeded my expectations. I was so pleased with their work that I hired them to add some attic vents and solar tubes in the next week or so. I would definitely recommend them for any of your roofing needs.

Description of Work
Jim Boyce came out and inspected my roof based on my description of the two leaks inside the house. He informed me that the roof was in good shape but the original installers had put one of the valleys on backwards and both would need to be torn out and reinstalled so as not to let water underneath the shingles. He was very punctual for the appointment and overall very professional.

Category roofing, skylights

06/13/2014

Keith R.

We ended up not using them. They were nice, courteous, professional, and knowledgeable, but we didn’t need the service.

Description of Work
We bought a Big Deal from them for a roof maintenance package.

06/10/2014

Mikie S.

This is EXACTLY the kind of situation I had hoped to avoid by joining Angie's List. I pay for a service, the guy comes out, tells me a story, then nothing happens and I've got to try and get my f****** money back. So Jim Boyce showed up on March 18th, takes a look at my roof, and tells me he's going to have a crew in the area and they'll pop over and see what they can do. <Crickets> Haven't heard anything in 3 months. UPDATE: After emailing again they did show up on August 18. They were here about an hour and put some tar on the roof so I'll hope for the best. They also did refund my money.

Description of Work
He showed up, we talked, he went on the roof.

You are exactly right. I checked with our crew and we failed to come out and do the repairs I had agreed to. I don't have any excuse, we didn't make it out and my crew chief didn't advise me of it. This is an unusual event in our business. I certainly apologize and will be sending you a check for $99 to reimburse you.

06/04/2014

Ken W.

Like several other reviews I paid for the'Big Deal' and all I received was a quote. No work was actually done. I wonder if I had paid the so-called normal price would I have paid $375 for a quote? Granted, I had numerous missing shingles but I was never offered an option to spending almost 15K for a roof replacement i.e. replace what's missing and discuss a future roof replacement. Lastly, I was told the $14,800 quote was only good for 3 days which would not have been enough time to comparative shop to see if the cost was competitive. 30 days has been the norm for most of the quotes that I've ever received. Jim's personality prevented a F rating. Not real happy with this one Angie.

Description of Work
$99 for a quote

05/16/2014

Ken W.

I did not end up using the Deal. The business didn't get back to me promptly when I purchased it, and then when I did schedule an appointment with them, they did not show or call to tell me they would not be coming.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal for a Roof Maintenance Package.

05/09/2014

Sharon H.

We purchased another discount service for cleaning the gutter and roof inspection. That provider said our roof was in great shape. So not sure what's up. We're not going to have any work done on the roof for now. We're very unsure about the date he was here. Also, he said he'd come back to complete a few things and we had to call a week or more later to get him back.

Description of Work
We purchased one of the discount services for roof inspection. He fixed a few things and said we needed to have a $1500 repair.

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair, roofing

04/14/2014

Jon E.

It did not turn out great. Upon purchasing the Big Deal they told me that they were swamped and could not get to it right away. I told them that was fine, and to contact me when they would be available. I never heard back from them for months. We scheduled them to come out on Friday and he came that Thursday before instead. They insisted that was when they scheduled it, but that was not the case They left before going over what work they did. I contacted them and they just told me to refer to the Big Deal description for the work that they did.

Description of Work
It was a Big Deal for $149 for a Tile Roof Tune-Up. We had some loose tiles the needed to be secured. We also had some flashing that needed to re-caulked.

04/08/2014

Darren S.

way over priced. 20 minutes late for appointment. provided estimate on piece of paper (handwritten) opposed to formal typed estimates that I've always gotten from other contractors.

Description of Work
provided estimate

03/31/2014

kristen W.

He provided good feed back and will most likely use them in the future.

Description of Work
He did a roof inspection.

03/24/2014

Deborah G.

It was very good. They came out and I thought I was having a leak in my roof and it turned out I did and they were able to fix it within a couple of weeks. I would recommend them. They had identified another area that I would probably need to get fixed in the next few months and I will call them back.

Description of Work
I used Boyce's Roofing and Repair for roof repairs.

03/19/2014

Matthew J.

They were fine and I had no issues at all. I ended up paying a little more than the big deal purchase as they had to buy the tiles. Their price was reasonable. They were great. They were on time, did what they needed to do, explained everything to me well when it came to cost and it was good.

Description of Work
Boyce's Roofing and Repair just inspected my roof, replaced some tiles and did some ceiling around some vents.

03/17/2014

deceased D.

They were prompt, courteous, performed the work and cleaned up. Some work scheduled did need to be done, but there was no adjustment in the cost. Also, no follow up to check satisfaction.

Description of Work
roof inspection and repair

03/01/2014

steven S.

This appointment was quick and simple and i got a good bit of information. Jim showed up on time that morning. He immediately began working. He did and entire walk around of my house and gave me detailed information about the construction and the condition of my roof. My house is a bit older and i was informed that there were minor repairs done but that the lifespan of my roof had run out. He gave me a quote and a time frame for a job from start to finish. It was actually less that what i've been told by other contractors. He even backed it up with a really nice warranty. I fully plan on having Jim return to do my roof when the time is right.

Description of Work
Boyce's roofing came by and did a roof inspection for my house.

02/28/2014

Debby F.

Bought a big deal for Boyce?s Roofing & Repair - $99 for $345 roof inspection, sealing around vents, minor repairs. GOOD SERVICE ? Jose was very friendly and he & his assistant showed up on time (East County), and set right to work. He quickly told me I needed a new roof which is probably true. Jim, the owner arrived and was very nice. He explained some things done incorrectly when my roof was re-shingled over a decade ago and why I needed a new one. When I explained it was not financially possible at this time he did not pressure me. He had the guys do the service including re-hanging 3 sections of 3-foot asphalt shingles that had fallen. Jim and I also discussed some balcony woodwork that needed replacing. Overall I was very satisfied with the service received. When I have the money I will likely hire Boyce?s Roofing & Repair.

Description of Work
Roof inspection, reseal roof vents, recaulk a flashing, rehang some asphalt shingles.

02/10/2014

todd B.

Needed a last minute roof inspection, I called and was able to schedule an appointment for later that afternoon. Jim was on time and did the inspection, his expertise and knowledge were extremely helpful.

Description of Work
Roof Inspection

02/06/2014

Mary M.

It was kind of a lengthy process due to it raining off and on for a while in November and December, but that wasn't their fault. He was very nice, was willing to work with us, and let us purchase our own tile so we could get a better price.

Description of Work
They replaced some tiles for us and cleaned the tile. I also asked them also to clean the roof with a leaf blower to get rid of the debris on the top which was an extra $139.

02/01/2014

Edward R.

I’m disappointed. It was a lousy service. He came here and instead of going up and doing the repair, he immediately upsold the whole thing. He said that the roof needed to be ripped off and replaced. He didn’t do the work, he just went up and estimated the job. I saw that other people had the same complaint of being upsold. He came out in his sandals. I told him I couldn’t afford it. We tried to figure out a date and then it dropped. I asked them by e-mail to refund the money and he said he would apply it towards the reroof or the repair.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal coupon from Boyce's Roofing and Repair. He came out and gave me an estimate for roof repair or replacement.

01/17/2014

Patricia F.

Never provided any service. I need my money back lease.

Description of Work
The provider did nothing for me and I need my money back