The Home Doctors Inc

Founded 1989 • With Angi since October 2005

6 Pamaron Way Ste A

Novato, CA 94949

The Home Doctors specialize in all aspects of home repair and remodeling

05/24/2016

Pam J.

They do wonderful work. They can do everything, from the big stuff to the smaller stuff as well. They have done so much for me that I would never go to another service provider. They are a one stop shop, and are willing to work with you.

Description of Work
They do almost all of the projects I have around the home.

Category handyman service

Thank you for the wonderful review. We enjoy being your go to guys! See you in the future!

02/11/2015

Todd B.

Their initial quote was too expensive. The quote was for about $8,500. They were very professional. They were a little bit slow on the slog time but I would consider them again for future projects.

Description of Work
I got a quote from Home Doctors for a French drain installation project and it involved plumbing and landscaping.

Category landscaping, plumbing

02/03/2015

Victor M.

He showed up on time, examined the projects and laid out how he would go about addressing them. He was friendly, thorough, and cleaned the work area after finishing.

Description of Work
Fixed top shelf of china cabinet (he fashioned supports that the shelf rests on.) Repaired two broken kitchen cabinets. Removed carpeting from the stairs and landing. This was more complicated than it sounds because there were several layers of carpet and many small nails and wood pieces to hold the carpet in place.

Category handyman service

Thank you for taking the time to review our service. It is greatly appreciated! We look forward to working with you all again. All the Best Tapley

12/16/2014

THOMAS J.

Everything is going well, like I said above, the rains have delayed the completion of the outside work. Tapley and his crew have been great, answered all of our questions and concerns. They are obviously very experienced and very easy to work with.

Description of Work
Began repair of some rot in a rafter tail, rains have delayed completion. Recommended a Hardwood Floor refinisher, that work has been completed. The floors look great!

Category handyman service

Hi [Members Name], Thank you for taking the time to post this great review. Can't wait to see the floors! and can't wait to get your trim back together next week! Best wishes Tapley

09/08/2014

Paula H. D.

We communicated solely by e-mail. I provided a 'wish list'. At first, the company was responsive to my list. Then I communicated, again, via e-mail to schedule at time to meet. Then I waited. Because I was not in a super hurry to get going, I allowed too much time to pass. When I realized I had not heard from the Company, I e-mailed again. I rec'd an apology and told that instead of dealing with this person, I'd be dealing with another person...that that person would be calling me. I'm waiting to this day. I have since contacted another company.

Description of Work
We never got that far.

Category handyman service

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. We appreciate the input. We apologize for our poor responsiveness to your needs. As per the email exchange from 2 weeks ago you are in our list of clients to go see. We apologize again for not getting to you sooner.We are running about 2 to 3 weeks out for estimate visits. We should have communicated that info to you. Your input is very valuable to us and will help us improve our customer service. Thank you Tapley Tapley Dawson COO The Home Doctors Inc

03/29/2014

PETER J.

Scrape old caulk, clean surface, recaulk at bathtub and up tile corners and at ceiling. Quick, courteous response. Good to deal with.

Description of Work
Bathtub recaulking..

Category ceramic tile, handyman service

Thank you for taking time to submit your review. We appreciate the input! Hope we can serve you in the future. All the Best Tapley

02/17/2014

Tom V.

On the big deal which I am rating here, there was more work than the time allotted (we had a big list), and they billed us at their standard rate ($90/hr??) which we found fair and reasonable. We have used the Home Doctors subsequently for a painting project, so they are on our go-to list for small home repair projects.

Description of Work
We were very pleased with the service.

Category handyman service, interior painters

Hi [remove member name], Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. It is greatly appreciated! We look forward to working with you in the future. All the best Tapley

02/10/2014

Claudia F.

The service person was friendly, experienced, and prompt.

Description of Work
Repaired window cranks on interior residential windows.

Category handyman service

Thank you for taking the time to review our service. It was a pleasure working with you. We look forward to helping you out in the future! All the Best Tapley Tapley Dawson The Home Doctors Inc.

12/19/2013

deborah C.

I thought the price was high. I wouldn’t use them again. It took a long time to do the job. It was bad. They were here for 4 and a half hours to do those 2 things and they charge by the hour. The guy was nice. He was just really slow. He was really chatty but he couldn’t like work and chat at the same time. It was very frustrating. He did a good job for what he did.

Description of Work
I used The Home Doctors to hang the most expensive curtain rods. They also installed a gas log sets.

Category handyman service, gas logs

Greetings, We received this review before the job was invoiced. We called the client and discussed the work in question. We agreed that 2 hours was reasonable for the work accomplished. We sent her the invoice with the agreed charges and she paid very promptly. We also returned to her home to adjust one of the rods at no charge. All in all everything was resolved and the client is happy! It would be great if the rating could be amended to accurately reflect the service. Thank you Tapley Dawson The Home Doctors Inc

12/10/2013

Frances H.

I’d be very careful if I use them. I got a bill for over the amount but I contacted him and I told him essentially that I had called the gentleman who came out and he had already left my job so there should have no additional fee and then I got charged for the products they bought which I believe he bought on my time, an additional 30% like a surcharge. I find that kind of unusual. That had never happened to me before. I was a little concerned. I probably wouldn’t call them again. The guy who came out did a very nice job. I don’t have any problem with the work. The work was fine. The management itself wanted to charge me an additional hour when I had called to make sure that the guy was either on the job or not on the job. The gentleman was very nice. He had multiple skills in fixing. He was excellent.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal coupon from The Home Doctors for handymen services.

Category handyman service

Hello [removed members name], Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are glad you are satisfied with the work and it was completed with a high level of craftsmanship. We are sorry there is some confusion regarding the billing. Let me clarify... Yes our field tech made an error on the time on your invoice. You brought that up in a letter you included with your payment for the materials. We agreed and did not charge you for that time. You did get your 4 hours and all the list done for half price. A great deal!! Yes of course we do charge our clients for any materials used to complete their work. We also charge for the time to purchase materials. That is part of the job. Yes we have a surcharge we add to the materials. This is a markup similar to what would be included in a fixed price or bid job. Most contractors mark up materials. It is part of the puzzle that allows contractors to run a successful business. As the invoice you received shows we itemize the materials so you get an honest accounting of what was used and its cost plus tax and markup. This is an honest and transparent methodology giving you, the client ,all the information about your job. We sincerely hope this helps address your concerns and you will take the time to amend your review to more accurately reflect the quality and timeliness of the work done. Sincerely Tapley Dawson The Home Doctors Inc

06/18/2013

Andrew F.

It worked out well. It was great. There were extra charges other than the price of the big deal. It was relatively a small amount. It was around $30-$50. I was not actually there. My wife was, but she said the guy was very friendly and helpful. He sort of went out of his way to get the part that was somewhat hard to fine. Overall, it was a positive experience. I think they were on time as far as I can remember.

Description of Work
The Home Doctors Inc. did a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. There was the check up of the dishwasher, a door where the hinge was broken, and fixed the wiring of an outside light bulb.

Category handyman service, lighting, doors

Hello [member name removed], It was a pleasure to serve you! We look forward to building a long term relationship with you and your home.Thank You Tapley

06/07/2013

Lily Y.

It was great. The guy who came was professional, very knowledgeable, came on time, did all the work super quickly and finished a lot faster than I thought he would. He explained everything that he did and he was friendly. It didn't cost more than the Big Deal because I let them know that I didn't want to go over what the coupon was redeemable for and they were fine with that. He made a note of it also, but he finished before that. I actually plan on using them again.

Description of Work
The Home Doctors Inc. did minor things for me. A shower door needed to be tightened, and he fixed a pocket door that was sticking. He put up some shelves and helped me with some recessed lighting.

Category handyman service

Hi [member name removed], Thank you for taking the time to post your nice review. It was a pleasure working with you too. We look forward to building a long relationship with you and your home. All the Best Tapley

06/04/2013

robert C.

They came, did the job and it was easy. They offered a reasonable price.

Description of Work
I used the locksmith service of The Home Doctors Inc.

Category locksmith

06/03/2013

Heidi M.

The service was great! They had all the insurance needed for our high rice apartment and HOA. They are the guys to go with.

Description of Work
They have done some plumbing and electrical work. In the bathroom, we had mirrors that covered the walls. They removed three of the mirrors.

Category electrician, glass repair, handyman service, plumbing

Thank you for the great review. It was a pleasure to serve you!

05/10/2013

carol L.

What a great experience. Handyman 5star. Many small jobs requiring multi talent

Description of Work
Re caulk door hinges dishwasher secured gate handle repair

Category handyman service

Hello (member name removed), Thank you for taking the time to post this nice review. It was a pleasure working with you too. We look forward to helping you out in the future. All the Best Tapley

03/14/2013

Casey S.

Purchased a Big Deal from Angie and received a follow-up phone email the next day. Later arranged to meet by phone. I had originally thought I needed more serious work done, but Kerry was able to make less expensive recommendations based on his experience. The final product looked nice enough to sell my house and get compliments on Facebook.

Description of Work
Re-sealed my shower door and tub, installed and moved fixtures in the bathroom, patched some minor holes

Category handyman service

Hello (member name removed), Thank you for taking the time to post this nice review. We're glad we could help you get your home sold! All the Best Tapley

02/27/2013

Lisa S.

I think the Angie's Big Deal for The Home Doctors Inc. may be a bit of a scam. If, in fact, all you have is a couple of hours work, then, all of a sudden, they're really not available. I had sent them an email immediately after purchasing the Big Deal. I needed to have an electric toilet seat installed and the first guy I talked to said, "We're really busy and it's going to be weeks before we can get somebody out there." This was a couple of weeks before Christmas. I was surprised about that and he told me to call a plumber. So then I get a call from his partner, who didn't know I had already gotten an email from his partner, asking what they could do to help me and set something up. I told him I was a little surprised, because, according to your other partner, you have no availability and blah, blah, blah, blah. So, then he got back to me and said "Yeah, you're right. You should contact Angie's List and get a refund." I never did get a refund, because now that the holidays are over, I wasn't sure if I wanted to make them stick by their offer of doing two hours work, but that probably is a bad idea. I don't think much of them. I had to go and spend $220.00 to actually have this toilet seat installed by a plumber, when this was actually a handyman job. It ended up costing me much more money than it should have.

Description of Work
I got an Angie's Big Deal for two hours of handyman services.

Category handyman service

Hello [member name removed], We would like to apologize for the confusion but let me clarify a few points. Yes we did call and speak with you on 12-13. Yes we were and are pretty much always busy and could not serve you immediately. We gave you a time frame for doing the work. At that time you did not like the longevity of the wait and said you may look for someone else to install the seat. Our small repair schedule is always changing and some time opened up so we followed up with a phone message on 12-17 to call us to get you scheduled. After not hearing from you we called again on 12-24 and left a message that we were ready to serve you. We received a phone msg from you on 12-26 that the wait was to long and you had made other arrangements. We left you a final msg on 12-26 with regrets that we could not serve you at this time . Since you had decided to NOT have us install the toilet seat we informed you that you can get a refund from Angie ( you still can). Note that we never actually spoke with each other after the initial phone contact, just exchanged phone messages. As for the SCAM accusation you can see by the other reviews that we have honored all of the work requests related to the Angies List deal and would have been happy to do the same for you. All the Best Tapley Dawson The Home Doctors Inc.

02/18/2013

Van D.

As I said, everything went well. He was cordial and accommodating.

Description of Work
Chris, the handyman called a few minutes before 9:00 AM to say he was in West Petaluma and was on the way. He arrived about 10 minutes later. I informed him that there were a couple changes. Chris was amenable to that. He rehung the two hall doors and said that there were a few dents in the track. He recommended that new tracks be installed as this problem could happen again . He purchased and installed new tracks. Smoke/gas alarms were installed without incident. The outside motion detector light was installed on the side of the house.The middle bed- room sliding-glass doors had come out of the framing. He asked me to look for the screw that might have come out of the assembly. I could not find one. I assume he used a screw he provided. Everything went well. I wish I could have had more things done. Chris left at approx. 1:00PM

Category electrician, handyman service

Hello Customer, Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed review. It is greatly appreciated. We are glad we could take care of all those repairs in your home. If you come up with another list give us a call. We are here for you when you need us! All the Best Tapley The Home Doctors

02/15/2013

Mark C.

Vince took apart the fan to get a fix on where to cut into the drywall - made the cut - verified that the fan was conected properly. We also checked the attic which is not accessible from above. Last year we had a repeated problem of hornets in our bathroom. Vince reinstalled the drywall and did an excellent texturing job. We had a hornets nest in the cap on the roof leading into the bathroom which I lined with a heavy wire mesh. Problem solved.

Description of Work
Removed a section of Drywall in the master bathroom to check if the fan was properly connected.

Category drywall, handyman service

Hello Customer, Thank you for taking the time to pst this nice review. We are glad we could help you find the source of the hornet problem! We look forward to working with you on all your homes repair and remodeling needs in the future. All the Best Tapley

02/01/2013

Deborah N.

It went very well. We basically thought that they did excellent work. They showed up on time. We thought everything that they did, they did very well. Their price was fair.

Description of Work
The Home Doctors installed a window and doors. They also did sheetrock work and installed baseboards and trim around doors.

Category drywall, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, doors

01/28/2013

Tony M.

When Home Doctors arrived at 8:00 A.M. and finished at 3:30 P.M. I called their office and asked what the bill was so I could pay that day. I was asked to fill out a blank check and Home Doctors would fill it out.As the carpenter left he asked to take the former discarded door. He never mentioned that I would be charged at $90 an hour to dispose it. I could have done it myself. When he went in to put the new door I gave him 3 hindgest he only put in 2 for a heavy door. I had paid from 8-10 A.M. The remaining 5 1/2 hours cost $495 which I state for a second time I was going to pay that day however I was not given the cost nor a bill. A Month later received not a bill for $495 but $585. I called the office of Home Doctors and was told I was charged an additional fee to dispose of the door. I was never told that this was an additional labor rather than a courtesy or that the door hinge screws which changed because the one supplied by Oews were small. $7 for 6 screws.Home Doctors milked this job the carpenter took the door off 3 times and plained it. This house if over 100 years old. I accept that everything isn't square. At 2 P.M. I tried to get the door put him. The carpenter wanted to paint the door which was already painted. After the phone call the bill was dropped to around $517.50 I was given a new bill with the $585 crossed out. Thest guys will never get a call back from me.

Description of Work
I believe around November 6, 2012 I purchased 2 hours $79 labor from Home Doctors of Novato, Cal. I had prvieoulsy had 2 doors put in the kitchen and painted in 5 hours by Caserto Construction. When Home Doctors arrived at 8:00 A.M. and finished at 3:30 P.M. I called their office and asked what the bill was so I could pay that day. I was asked to fill out a blank check and Home Doctors would fill it out. As the carpenter left he asked to take the former discarded door. He never mentioned that I would be charged at $90 an hour to dispose it. I could have done it myself. When he went in to put the new door I gave him 3 hindgest he only put in 2 for a heavy door. I had paid from 8-10 A.M. The remaining 5 1/2 hours cost $495 which I state for a second time I was going to pay that day however I was not given the cost nor a bill. A Month later received not a bill for $495 but $585. I called the office of Home Doctors and was told I was charged an additional fee to dispose of the door. I was never told that this was an additional labor rather than a courtesy or that the door hinge screws which changed because the one supplied by Oews were small. $7 for 6 screws. Home Doctors milked this job the carpenter took the door off 3 times and plained it. This house if over 100 years old. I accept that everything isn't square. At 2 P.M. I tried to get the door put him. The carpenter wanted to paint the door which was already painted. After the phone call the bill was dropped to around $517.50 I was given a new bill with the $585 crossed out. Thest guys will never get a call back from me.

Category woodworking

Hello Member, We are really quite surprised that you left such a negative review on this site. After the service was performed on 11-16-12 We spoke on 11-27 and everything appeared to be OK. On 12-12-12 you contacted us and we discussed your concern about some fees on the bill. Specifically the charge for disposing of your old door, some materials used and some of the additional time beyond the 2 hour Angies List deal to successfully complete the requested work. During our pleasant discussion we agreed to delete the dump fee, materials fee and the disputed time. When we were done with our conversation you were completely satisfied with the charges to be billed and asked if you could pay it off in 3 payments. We agreed to that also although it is not our normal practice to spread job payments over an extended time period. We are completly confused by your review, the door was installed well and as you know we did EVERYTHING you requested in regards to the bill. It is our sincere hope that you will amend your review to truthfully reflect the quality of the work done and the level of customer service we provided you in meeting your every demand. We wish you all the best . Sincerely Tapley The Home Doctors Inc

01/27/2013

Greg S.

The experience was quick and easy...

Description of Work
We mounted a powerbridge for my flat screen TV. Works great and all my wires are gone!!!

Category drywall, electrician, handyman service

Hello Member, Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our service. It is greatly appreciated. It was a pleasure working with you. We look forward to helping you out with your homes repair needs in the future. Tapley

01/22/2013

Weslee J.

He showed up on time, we reviewed what we wanted done and he got to work right away and he did as much as he could in the 4 hours we payed for. Great overall experience.

Description of Work
Hung white boards in an office, did some patching on the walls.

Category handyman service

Thank you for the great review. It was a pleasure assisting you.

01/12/2013

Christopher L.

Very timely. We had purchased a discount card from Angie's List and they completed the work in a timely fashion.

Description of Work
Fixed front gate & two new light fixtures.

Category handyman service

Hello Member, Thank you for the nice review, I will see you soon to look at the kitchen and bathrooms!

12/31/2012

andrew W.

Tapley and staff are incredibly knowledgeable, personable and show extreme thoroughness and follow through. We initially worked with Home Doctors for a quote around a small kitchen project. When that turned out to be a larger project than we could budget for, Home Doctors came to the rescue with exterior lighting installation and guidance on some other small home projects. The staff was friendly, helpful and courteous. They were extremely efficient, showed up on time and have followed through with making sure we are pleased with their work. Would definitely use again!

Description of Work
Provided estimate for potential kitchen project which we decided not to proceed with. Handyman helped with electrical installation for exterior lights.

Category handyman service

Greetings , Thank you for taking the time to review our service, it is greatly appreciated! Glad we could finally help you out on the lighting etc...We look forward to helping you out in the future and creating a long term relationship with you and your home. Hope you all have a Happy New Year! Tapley