We are taking additional precautions to protect our customers.

CALbath Renovations

Founded 1991 • With Angi since May 2005

4.4

3825 Birch St

Newport Beach, CA 92660

CALbath Renovations stands by their motto of “Making the rooms you use the rooms you love” by offering quality renovation solutions for every home. For over 25 years, the team has been working hard to ensure quality installations for homeowners in San Diego, San Jose, and Orange County. Three

01/14/2016

Sally N.

I purchased the deal and called to set up an appointment. I was told that because my tub had been resurfaced previously I would be charged an additional $200. This was not disclosed in the advertisement so I requested a refund.

Description of Work
Nothing. I requested a refund.

07/14/2015

MONICA W.

The technicians were friendly and competent.

Description of Work
I purchased a deal for $189 for bathtub refinishing. We chose to do additional services including curtain rack, having fixtures changed out on existing shower heads in both bathrooms.

05/24/2015

Steve G.

After making a $1000 deposit on $3000 total, nothing happened for a full month! I called them and was told a few different things from the Office Manager (e.g. the shower was in, but some how not right, and then a few other contradictory things). I told them to call me within a few days and arrange the work, or refund my money and cancel the agreement. A few days later they sent out a project manager (Ernesto), who was very attentive on the phone, and I had to explain to him about the leak being a priority to fix and the entire issue background, as it was not communicated to him. They assessed the leak and still didn't do the work to fix it, which we agreed would be to replace the shower valve/cartridge. did nothing except remove the shower back plate, then stopped. Days went by, and I told them I wanted my money back for non-performance. So, I ended up speaking with one of the company owners (Dan). Very nice guy on the phone, and seemed to want to get it right. He came out to my house and spoke with me and my wife for about two hours. We basically re-agreed to the same work we originally agreed to, but re-phrased it into a Change Order that he promised he would send the next day. He even emailed that he would send it. It didn't come the next day, and I told them I want my money back, and that I wanted confirmation that the check was sent. They did send the refund, and I am pleased to be free and clear of them now. Really, avoid this company. I was extremely clear with what I needed, and they dropped the ball continually through the process.

Description of Work
I had a leak in my shower. I wanted that fixed above all, and also wanted a surface refinish of the shower tile and a new shower enclosure. The salesman came out (Scott) and agreed they could and would do the work. We signed an agreement, and work was to start a wek or so after that.

Category bathtub refinishing, glass repair, plumbing, home remodeling

01/31/2015

vishalsingh P.

I have never written a review for any service provider till now but this experience with Calbath called for it. Here is what happened. We contacted Calbath and they sent Scott Martinuzzi the salesman to our house. Scott never wrote down our expectations "clearly" except for the budget it seemed like. He was quite eager to give us a cheaper price point from the beginning whereas he missed the point that we are a well-to-do family and want things done correctly instead of cheaply. We visited their office in Newport Beach and clearly chose the items we really liked. We chose a Hand-held silver shower head, we asked him to provide a slightly bigger bathroom shampoo soap shelf as seen on one of the bathroom models and we told him that we will buy a shower door ourselves. After all of this, what we eventually got installed was different because this guy was just a salesman and promised a lot of things without actually clearly writing them down. You can see my emphasis on clearly writing down the expectations of a customer. What we eventually got was - a regular soap shelf (not the bigger one that was promised), - shower head was a silver fixed shower head not the hand-held one we asked, The only thing that was great about this whole Calbath affair was the worker named Luis who worked on time, fixed a bunch of things without too much complaining, quite a gentleman. and did an impressive job with what he was told to do. I'd recommend Calbath to my friends (in fact I already did to one of my colleague) but I will warn them to make sure to get every little thing in writing, especially if Scott is going to be their sales guy. Vishal

Description of Work
We needed to get our Bathroom shower area remodeled to use Stone instead of tiles and replace the existing structure enclosing the tubelights with recess lights.

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, electrician, glass repair, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

01/30/2015

Susan H.

Danny our installer (a great guy to work with) tore out our old tile and shower pan, moved up the shower head about a foot, installed all new back board, installed the new acrylic siding, shelves for hair products and a shower door. This was all done very professionally, on time (3 days) and with no mess. Ask for Danny as your installer.

Description of Work
For this project, we had Cal Bath replace the tile in our stall shower. We have used Cal Bath in the past for a complete bathroom remodel and for a shower/bath combo replacement. We have been so happy with their services and plan to use them again at my mother-in-laws house.

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, glass repair, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

10/19/2014

David P.

I had used them years ago and they had done a fabulous job so I thought I'd have no worries with this job. Their initial contact was good. I thought I had made myself very clear about what I wanted. Their wait time to get started was way too long. When the worker came on the first day (about 2-3 weeks after initial contact), he started to put the acrylic up and I said that was not what we had asked for. The worker was very pleasant and informed me that what I wanted was not something they could do. Ultimately I cancelled the job and said I wanted my deposit back by the end of the business day. I also told the gal back at their office that I not only will never use them again but I would not be recommending them to my friends or family. She called back a little while later and said they wanted to keep our business and would it be ok if a salesman came (with the refund check), look at the job and see if their was something that would make me happy. Reluctantly I said ok. I had to leave for an appointment so I told my husband to make the decision. When the salesman came to look at it, he brought some tiles and described to my husband how it would look with tile. With my agreement, my husband scheduled the work to be done in a few days. When they arrived he started to put up acrylic again. I told him we were expecting tile and a new contract depicting the scope of the new work. The worker said there wasn't a new contract, that he was doing what we had originally contracted for. I called the office and asked to speak with the salesperson who had come out. He said that they could not do what I originally wanted done. Yea, I know! Then he said they never intended to do tile, we must have misunderstood. He was rude and said they would either finish the job or refund my deposit. Clearly it wasn't a case of "the customer is always right". I reiterated that I would never use them again and I would not refer them to anyone who asked me for a recommendation. In the end, the workmanship was good, they gave us a $150 credit and replaced the hardware in both of our bathrooms in an effort to lessen the "sting" of our " misunderstanding".

Description of Work
Added acrylic between the top of the one-piece tub and the ceiling.

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile

10/06/2014

audra R.

It was an Angie's List Big Deal that I purchased. The tub bubbled six months after they did the work and when we asked them to come back out, they said we had used a bath mat. I told them that we didn't have children or elderly people living here and the guy acted like he didn't believe us. They came out and refinished it and it was worse the second time than it was the first time. We called them again and they never responded to our call. Pretty much the tub was worse than when we started. It is a cast iron tub and it had never been refinished. It looks terrible. It was supposed to have a year guarantee on it. It wasn't done correctly in the first place and they sent the same guy out the second time. We would have had to have a bath mat that went over the drain. Every time they came out, we had to be out of our house and we have 3 cats. The salesman was good so I guess that's how they get you. I don't think I spent any extra. It was a waste of money because it looks worse than it did to start. I should have gotten a whole new tub. The guy did show up on time.

Description of Work
The refinished our tub.

08/29/2014

Audrey D.

We had a lot of work done and it went outstandingly well. Darrell Benn helped us understand the options available and the details concerning them. We did our research and he answered all of our questions while adding information we needed without knowing the questions. The work itself took 1 1/2 weeks, a few days longer than anticipated, but we didn't care because the work was so well done and we could see that the extra days were needed to maintain quality. Darrell continued to be available to answer questions once the work began. This was helpful one time when we had a question. Six professionals were involved with our project (in addition to Darrell Benn). Each one did excellent work. They included experienced plumbers, tile workers, and installers. Each one was very careful about their work and also careful with our home, so as to not cause any damage as they walked through and worked. They also were careful to clean each day. The tile workers applied fine artistry to designing and laying the two bathroom floors, which we very much appreciate. Darrell and the installers also told us of cleaning methods for us to use to best maintain our newly remodeled bathrooms.

Description of Work
Three bathrooms remodeled: 2 showers and 1 bathtub refinished and holes filled and crack repaired; 2 shower doors replaced, 2 toilets replaced; exhaust fan/light installed, 1 shower head replaced, carpeting in 2 bathrooms taken out and tile floors installed and baseboards replaced; in kitchen, sink perimter resealed and 3 angle valves replaced.

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, flooring contractor, lighting, plumbing, home remodeling

06/13/2014

JOHN R.

I would give Cal Bath in Newport Beach one star because they did not pull a Gypsy contractor move a steal by deposit. But they deserve a NO STAR rating. I have been a homeowner for over twenty five years. Over this time I have used lots of contractors, some good, others not so much. Cal Bath is hands down the worst contractor I have ever used. I will go on for some time in this review, but to be short, you have been warned. Cal Bath gave me an estimate in September of 2013 for a full bath remodel. They say they do not start the remodel until all the items ordered are in and they check them, so there are no delays in the job (approx six weeks wait) but they want money up front. I had to call them and ask what was taking so long for the items to come in. They started work in December 2013. They gave an estimate of ten working days to complete the remodel. On the second day of the remodel the problems began. They installed the wrong tub, and argued that they had not made a mistake. The first of many. Again to keep it short, not one item was installed correct or was not what we ordered. You are saying ?right he is exaggerating?, um, no! Not one. TUB-Vanity-Hardware-Fan-Molding-Paint-Tile-Toilet, all problems. By February 2014 the job was still not finished (a long ten days, NO?) After I re-read some of the ratings I observed that most of them are for Cal Bath refinishing jobs not remodels. In my opinion a lot of the good reviews LOOK FAKE. In my opinion the problems I had come from a complete lack of someone competent being in charge, someone who checks the details. When you try to work with them you learn where the word SMART A** comes from. Mostly you get the run around and they are good at it, they must have lots of practice from dealings with their past customers. I had a very poor experience using Cal Bath.

Description of Work
Complete Bathroom remodel

06/12/2014

Jackie E.

Very professional. Arrived on time. Gave us quote but there were additional fees involved to refinish the tub. We chose not to have the work done due to the additional fees

04/18/2014

Nareg K.

I'm so glad I used CalBath to do this project to give our bathroom a new facelift. There are very professional and detail oriented in their work from the estimator, back office and technicians. When it comes to glazing, there will always be imperfections, but once I brought these minor details to to their attention they went out of their way to address immediately. I highly recommend their services.

Description of Work
Re-glazed both our full bath units and installed new shower door

Category bathtub refinishing, glass repair, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

04/01/2014

SL M.

They were in contact with me frequently and provided all necessary information about what they would and would not do, along with our responsibilities. They were patient with the scheduling since our renters changed the date a few times. Because it is a rental I have not personally seen the tub, but have not received any complaints.

Description of Work
They refinished an old bathtub/shower area in our rental.

03/25/2014

Susan H.

I had a full remodel of the master bathroom and a tub and shower liner in the main bathroom. The full remodel included tearing out the stall shower tile and pan and replacing it, replacement of a vanity, tearing out and replacing the tile floor, a new ceiling vent and some electrical work. The 2nd bathroom was a tub liner and walls. The installers were efficient, knowledgeable, personable, What was installed was exactly what I picked out at the showroom and timelines were met.

Description of Work
I plan to use CalBath again. Their installers are professionals and my 2 bathrooms look fantastic.

Category bathtub refinishing, ceramic tile, countertops, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, remodeling, home remodeling

Thank you for your recent review [removed member name]. Glad to know we met your expectations in both of your projects. Hope to hear from you soon on your next project.

03/18/2014

John S.

They didn't re-install the fixtures that they took out to refinish the tub. The salesman was a bit irritated that we only paying $189 for the service. They did an ok job with the refinishing. They were unable to do the second tub we bought another coupon for.

Description of Work
I bought a Big Deal for bathtub refinishing.

03/18/2014

Rachelle V.

It went very well. I ended up having additional work done. It ended up with more money. They were prompt in trying to get schedules. It was for my rental property. There was a little bit of a scheduling glitch. They were very apologetic. They made it right. The service is good and they were good. It was all very good.

Description of Work
I purchased a big deal for CalBath & Kitchen. They put an epoxy glaze on my bathtub and walls. They also had to patch some cracks.

03/04/2014

Pam D.

Excellent. From the 1st call, to the initial visit and to the actual service, everyone was extremely professional and accommodating. My 50 year old bathtub looks brand new!

Description of Work
Reglazed bath tub

02/25/2014

David O.

The service turned out okay. We incurred a bit more cost than the big deal. They were clean, the work seemed to be good quality, and they were fast.

Description of Work
We had purchased a big deal for CalBath & Kitchen. They refinished the bath tub.

02/06/2014

JOHN T.

Cal Bath did a beautiful job reglazing the bath tub. Hopefully it will last a long time.

Description of Work
Reglazed bath tub

02/06/2014

Linda R.

CALbath & Kitchen partially remodeled our master bath and guest bath. In the master, they removed the bathtub and installed a large shower. In the guest bathroom, they removed the bathtub and installed a soaker tub. Both bathrooms also included acrylic walls that look like subway tiles, as well as all necessary plumbing. From the beginning, we had a pleasant experience. Our salesman, Darrell, was knowledgeable and helpful. He provided a thorough, itemized list so that we knew exactly what we were getting and how much everything cost. We had one installer, Luis, who was a pleasure to have in our home. He showed up on time and was professional. It only took him one week to complete both bathrooms. The only negative in this whole process was this: When we signed the contract, we were told that the work would start in 3 to 6 weeks. It didn't start until 8 1/2 weeks later. That being said, though, it was worth the wait. We are very pleased with the work that was done.

Description of Work
Partially remodeled two bathrooms.

Category plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

02/03/2014

Gary H.

A few dust particles exist in the finished product which they will correct at no charge. The job went well.

Description of Work
Had a standard 47 year old bathtub restored/refinished with "non-slip" on the bottom. Also added two grip handles to the tile walls for safety.

01/30/2014

John B.

They were great. They came out and did an excellent job, with a really good price. The staff’s demeanor was excellent. They made the countertop and sink look like new. I would definitely recommend them.

Description of Work
I used CalBath & Kitchen for refinishing a bathroom vanity top. They refinished a cultured marble countertop and sink.

Category countertops, home remodeling

01/27/2014

Sean H.

Very responsive. Did exactly what they said they would. Showed up on time. Made a couple last minute changes to the design for the drain but really helped the overall look. I had to go to work so I was able to give them a key to lock up. Everything went as planned. I will be using them in the future.

Description of Work
Tub was re-glazed white and new shower side door installed.

01/23/2014

Herbert W.

Provider was fine, prompt response. CalBath came out and looked at the project, however my project did not fit the coupon. They offered alternatives, but at the moment I decided to wait.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal from CalBath & Kitchen.

01/19/2014

Mark S.

repainted bathtub, took all morning and was done well

Description of Work
I used CalBath & Kitchen.

01/18/2014

William M.

They did a good job. It just took a little while to get it done but it wasn't their fault. It looks pretty good after they were done. I think it was a little expensive, $85 to put the non-slip on there, I don't think there was much to it.

Description of Work
I used the "Big Deal" that I purchased for the services of CalBath & Kitchen. I paid extra because I had the texture on the bottom of the tub so you don't slip. They refinished the tub and put the non-slip on the bottom of the bathtub.