Grandfather Clock Repair LLC

Founded 1993 • With Angi since December 2009

Los Angleles, CA 90012

I specialize in House Calls on Grandfather Clocks. 90 to 95% of the time my House Call techniques fix the clock. In the case of a clock that is worn out or broken in other ways, further repairs or replacing movements are options. House Calls are scheduled at your convenience so my "hours" are "by

09/30/2022

Alisha P.

I had a very successful visit from Mr. McIlvaine. We discussed the repair on the phone, and he called me back shortly after and offered to come right away while he was in the area. He was very knowledgeable and competent, and completed the fixes in very short order. He was also full of useful information on my antique clock and answered all the questions I had. I will be using his services from now on. Thank you so much!!

Description of Work
fix sequence and timing of chimes, adjust pendulum

Category clock repair

Thank you Ms. [Member Name Removed]!! It was a pleasure to meet you and work on your clock...a very nice Herschede! You seemed to me to be very well informed about your clock and in case you or others may be interested there is a wonderful new book on them written by the owner of Griffen Clock Parts and all 500+ pages are available at [Hyper Link Removed]. Happy Times to you!

10/09/2021

Nancy L.

Bill moved our Herschede grandfather clock to its new home. He cleaned and serviced it, taking care to note the wear and appreciate its antique status. He was fair, professional, courteous, and very careful with our clock. We were anxious about the move, but he handled everything perfectly. We will be contacting him again when the clock needs service, and recommend him to anyone needing his specialized services.

Description of Work
Moved a grandfather clock 49 miles, cleaned and re-assembled.

10/09/2021

C S.

I needed my grandfather clock fixed,that my father made for me in 1974, and decided to do research on what repair place I should call. I came across Grandfather Clock Repair because it was the only one with a 5 Star review. Everything that was written about the owner Bill was correct. He is a true gentleman and craftsman. He took his time repairing my clock and it runs perfectly after a decade of silence. You cannot go wrong with Bill and his expertise.

Description of Work
Clock repair

01/30/2020

Richard C.

I inherited this clock when my step-mom (but since she raised me she is my “Mom”) passed away almost 35 years ago. I remember the first time I heard it when I moved into her house over 50 years ago. My 2 older kids grew up hearing it chime every quarter hour, but my youngest child never had that opportunity since it quit working before she was born. For the first time my 14 year old is hearing the same chimes I did as a young child. Bill has given me back a piece of my childhood and I cannot thank him enough for those memories. I would definitely recommend him to anyone needing clock repair. I am looking forward to visiting with him again in 5 short years for the maintenance follow up visit.

Description of Work
Grandmother clock repaired

12/17/2019

Christopher S.

Bill was great when no one else could do what I needed done. Absolutely recommend using his services.

Description of Work
move & service

Category clock repair, moving companies

Thanks so much [Member Name Removed]! All the best to you and your family and the holidays.

12/15/2019

Sheryl A.

Our grandfather clock is running like new! It is so nice to hear the chimes again :)

Description of Work
Grand father clock repair

12/12/2019

Robert W.

The Gentleman was curtious, patient & professional. Highly recommend his services at a great price.

Description of Work
Time adjustment/Howard Miller grandfather clock

Category clock repair

Thank you for the review of my "Fix by Phone" virtual house call service. I do a 15 minute video call to help people with simple problems they are having with their clock. In this case we went through several steps to make the clock ring the right number of hours. The cost is $25 for each 15 minute period.

12/02/2018

Joyce S.

Bill is very professional And very knowledgeable with clock repair

Description of Work
He repaired my grandfather clock Plus another clock from 1924

Category clock repair

Short and Sweet. Thank you!

10/20/2018

Father Michael S.

We received a gift of a Grandfather clock and the donor contacted Bill McIlvaine of Grandfather Clock Repair (310) 962-7911. He was so prompt in arriving and putting everything in its place and walking me through the process. I especially appreciate his comment afterwards that I could contact him for any questions. I was very pleased with him and highly recommend him for any repairs or servicing. Fr. Michael Stechmann, St. Benedict Catholic Church, Montebello, CA

Description of Work
Set a grandfather clock/maintenance.

09/24/2018

James W.

Very well. Bill quoted the price ahead of time (minimum of course until he had a better understanding of the issues) showed up on time, very professional and knowledgeable. He got the Grand Father clock working by just doing a major cleaning and adjustments. The mantle clock was a bit more finicky. Bill had to return a few weeks later to take a look. It was a long drive out of his way but he didn't question or complain. Turned out to be operator error, I felt foolish (although it was an understandable misunderstanding) Bill fixed it, didn't bill us extra and both clocks are working as designed. Would use him again and refer to anyone in need of in-home repairs.

Description of Work
Two antique clocks repaired.

Category clock repair

Thank you for the kind review. It makes me happy to think of your clocks running well!

09/05/2018

Thea E.

Not having any reference to go by for Grandfather Clock servicing, I did my own research. Reading some of the reviews from various companies, Grandfather Clock Repair LLC stood out like a beacon! BILL McILVAINE is the Sole Proprietor for this company. Having moved to Los Angeles, California has been OUR gain. Bill was originally from Madison, Wisconsin making it their loss. It started with a phone call where Bill answered all of my questions regarding the fact that I have had my Grandfather Clock at least 30 years, but had never been oiled. I was impressed with Bill’s knowledge of clocks and couldn’t wait to have him service mine. He is so busy, that I had to wait three months before I could get an appointment with him! That statement alone lets future customers know that Bill is in “high demand” and worth the wait for a knowledged professional! Bill showed up right on schedule and went straight to work to dismantle my grandfather clock. It took Bill about 2½ hours to clean every gear, chime, screw, and mechanism, with meticulous precision and about 75 cotton swabs! I had never seen anything so shiny and well-oiled when it was all cleaned, except when my grandfather clock was brand new! The cost for such an elaborate service job is $495. BILL McILVAINE is THE go-to service for any type of clock. Grandfather Clock Repair LLC’s standard not only sets-the-bar, it IS the bar! There is NO reason to search ANY further than THIS Company, to fulfill your needs for any type of clock repair! MOST Sincerely, Thea E.

Category clock repair

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! The check is in the mail! (just kidding), seriously - I have the nicest customers! Good work is my aim and I am glad when I achieve it. Some times it takes more than one attempt. A clock, after all, runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week for decades and even centuries. So when I show up with a suitcase full of parts and a bag full of tools, I am there to do the whole job. I very much appreciate my customers patience and understanding.

04/12/2018

Pamela B.

Very through. Extremely knowledgeable of various types of older clocks. Methodical and explained everything. Very pleased with results.

Description of Work
Repair two grandfather clock

Category clock repair

Thank you very much for your kind review. It was a pleasure to meet you and work on your clocks. I am happy to think of them ticking and chiming away and glad to know that the beautiful sounds can bring joy at the simple passage of time.

07/06/2017

Tricia L.

I am so happy with the outcome. I have an old and beautiful clock that is now working in a restored case. All my curious questions were answered too while he was working. The time frame of the entire project was excellent and communication was great. I would not hesitate in recommending Grandfather Clock Repair. I am very pleased I have now found someone who is honest and knowledgeable to take care of a clock that means the world to me.

Description of Work
I have a family grandfather clock built in 1795 that came from England. It had not been working for a while and the case was in need of repair. Grandfather Clock Repair gave me several different options to have it working again which involved different pricing. I never felt pressured to do anything, but it was so helpful to have the different options. He even connected me with someone who could repair the case and ended up taking it there and picking it up for me.

Thank you so much!

04/29/2017

Phyllis B.

Repaired and clock oiled and cleaned

Description of Work
Grandfather Clock lost time and stopped

Grazie mille!

01/30/2017

CAROLYN K.

took him several hours, but we are quite happy with his work.

Description of Work
cleaning and minor repairs on 2 old clocks.

12/17/2016

Brian E.

I contacted Bill on Tuesday and set up an appointment for Friday. He arrived on time worked on the clock. He explained what he was doing and what may have caused the clock to stop working. The clock was working and then stopped about 15 minutes after Bill left. I called him and he returned in approximately 10 minutes. He took out the clock mechanism and made some adjustments. He replaced the mechanism and the clock has been running fine. He was polite, neat and professional. I would not hesitate to call him again. It was a great experience.

Description of Work
My grandfather clock had not run for many (maybe 10) years. I did not know if it was broken.

08/15/2016

Thea E.

Grandfather Clock out-of-tune – it was completely dismantled, cleaned, oiled & reassembled to perfection Repaired – July 9, 2016 Not having any reference to go by for Grandfather Clock servicing, I did my own research via Angie’s List (a FANTASTIC website in itself!). Reading some of the reviews from various companies, Grandfather Clock Repair LLC stood out like a beacon! BILL McILVAINE is the Sole Proprietor for this company. Having moved to Los Angeles, California has been OUR gain. Bill was originally from Madison, Wisconsin making it their loss. It started with a phone call where Bill answered all of my questions regarding the fact that I have had my Grandfather Clock at least 30 years, but had never been oiled. I was impressed with Bill’s knowledge of clocks and couldn’t wait to have him service mine. He is so busy, that I had to wait three months before I could get an appointment with him! That statement alone lets future customers know that Bill is in “high demand” and worth the wait for a knowledged professional! Bill showed up right on schedule and went straight to work to dismantle my grandfather clock. It took Bill about 2½ hours to clean every gear, chime, screw, and mechanism, with meticulous precision and about 75 cotton swabs! I had never seen anything so shiny and well-oiled when it was all cleaned, except when my grandfather clock was brand new! The cost for such an elaborate service job is $495. BILL McILVAINE is THE go-to service for any type of clock. Grandfather Clock Repair LLC’s standard not only sets-the-bar, it IS the bar! There is NO reason to search ANY further than THIS Company, to fulfill your needs for any type of clock repair! MOST Sincerely, Thea Errickson

Description of Work
Complete cleaning of a grandfather clock

08/15/2016

07/23/2016

Thea E.

Not having any reference to go by for Grandfather Clock servicing, I did my own research via Angie’s List (a FANTASTIC website in itself!). Reading some of the reviews from various companies, GRANDFATHER CLOCK REPAIR LLC stood out like a beacon! BILL McILVAINE is the Sole Proprietor for this company. Having moved to Los Angeles, California has been OUR gain. Bill was originally from Madison, Wisconsin making it their loss. It started with a phone call where Bill answered all of my questions regarding the fact that I have had my Grandfather Clock at least 30 years, but had never been oiled. I was impressed with Bill’s knowledge of clocks and couldn’t wait to have him service mine. He is so busy, that I had to wait three months before I could get an appointment with him! That statement alone lets future customers know that Bill is in “high demand” and worth the wait for a knowledged professional! Bill showed up right on schedule and went straight to work to dismantle my grandfather clock. It took Bill about 2½ hours to clean every gear, chime, screw, and mechanism, with meticulous precision and about 75 cotton swabs! I had never seen anything so shiny and well-oiled when it was all cleaned, except when my grandfather clock was brand new! The cost for such an elaborate service job is $495. BILL MCILVAINE is THE go-to service for any type of clock. GRANDFATHER CLOCK REPAIR LLC’s standard not only sets-the-bar, it IS the bar! There is NO reason to search ANY further than THIS Company, to fulfill your needs for any type of clock repair! MOST Sincerely, Thea Errickson

Description of Work
Grandfather Clock out-of-tune – it was completely dismantled, cleaned, oiled and reassembled to perfection.

03/02/2016

Edward AND Mary H.

He arrived, offered to remove his shoes, asked a few questions, removed the movement, cleaned and oiled the movement, and replaced it. He went the extra mile by repairing the floor of the cabinet. I shopped around, and his was the fairest price. I watched him during the process, and it is obvious he is precise and cares about the quality of his work.

Description of Work
Bill McIlvaine did an exceptional job when repairing and servicing my 42 year old Seth Thomas Grandfather's clock. He patiently removed, cleaned and oiled the German made movement, repaired the cabinet, and insured it kept the correct time. He did this in my home for a fair price. If you need this service, look no further.

Category clock repair, moving companies

Thank you very much for your review! I did not find this for some time because I did not realize I was getting reviews under the "moving" catagory! I do move grandfather clocks for individuals so I am glad you found this category before I did.

01/06/2016

Erin D.

On-time, great service and Bill is a wonderful all-around nice guy.

Description of Work
He cleaned and oiled my clocks with the best part they are running again. The beautiful tic-tok of the clock with the chimes are back in our house once again...thank you Bill. Great service, on-time and wonderful service.

12/19/2015

Charles M.

The Grandfathers clock, about 20 years old was up and running in less than 1/2 an hour. Both clocks had been serviced, cleaned and oiled about 18 months ago by a local repair business. The Grandmothers clock had required many trips back and forth to the local repair shop before it ran. When I called the repair person back he refused to work on it any more. This was a clock that was put together from a " kit" by my father almost 50 years ago so it was important to me that it continued to run. When Bill first looked at the Grandmothers clock he advised me that the clock works provided by the " kit" back then were not of good quality and most of them were not repairable and that new clock works might have to be installed. However after closer examination he determined the works had received many repairs, by the previous repair shop and that maybe it just needed some " tweaking and adjustments". After several visits to work on it, he took it to his repair shop and returned it about 3 weeks later. It has been running fine for over a month. Bill knows what he is doing. I highly recommend him based on his honesty, knowledge and professionalism.

Description of Work
Adjusted a Grandfather clock that had quit running and worked on a grandmothers clock that had also stopped.

11/14/2015

Catherine K.

I was looking for someone that did house calls for repair of my grandfather clock. I went to Angie's list. After reading the reviews I knew I would contact Bill to have him fix the clock. Bill arrived on time and had the tools needed to complete the job. He was professional and courteous. He removed all the parts. He cleaned and oiled them. I would definitely use him again and would recommend him to anyone who needed their clock repaired. He spent about 2 hours. Thank you Bill for fixing my clock. I missed hearing the clock chime.

Description of Work
Bill cleaned and oiled my grandfather clock. He explained how the parts of the clock worked. I watched because I wanted to learn about the clock and how the different parts worked. He also adjusted the clock so it was level on the floor.

Category clock repair

Thank you [Member Name Removed]! It was a pleasure to meet you.

10/16/2015

William R.

Bill was very professional and knows what he's doing. I would recommend him to family and friends.

Description of Work
Cleaned gears and adjustments of all parts and balanced clock and pendlum.

09/08/2015

Barbara M.

It was great.I highly recommend him.

Description of Work
We had moved a grandfather clock 300 miles. It was kept in storage for a couple years. Bill came out and cleaned it, serviced it, and put it back together.

All Service Moving

Oregon, California, Arizona, Washington locations. Award winning Local and Long Distance Moving & Storage. We provide the best trained and highest quality service on the West Coast. Featured on the front page of the Oregonian. Winners of the American Moving & Storage Association Enterprise award! Highest rated company on Yelp and Google. The only actual certified GREEN moving company by the sustainability association; All Service Moving provides professional household and commercial relocation services. Our crews are well trained, drug tested and background checked. We specialize in large homes/offices and challenging situations. ASM provides a specialty long distance moving service that you can not find anywhere else. We also move pianos and provide storage and equipment to meet your needs. We do not use day labor and we provide an efficient and high quality service. Let us impress you.

Award 2022
    H2H Movers

H2H Movers, a woman-owned and operated business, was founded on the idea that your move should be easy and stress-free. We are the full-service moving company you can trust to take care of your belongings—and you! Here’s how we do it: Competitive prices. You’ll get high-quality, personal service at the best possible price. Accurate quotes. Expect fully transparent pricing from the very beginning. Secure and efficient process. Our entire team’s priority is making your move as smooth as possible. Our trucks are stocked with moving blankets, packing supplies, and everything else needed to protect your belongings and keep your move efficient. People-oriented. Both you and our team matter to us. We work together throughout your move, and we fully train and take care of our team so we can all take care of you! A company you can trust. We value your trust, so we lead with integrity.

Award 2022
    Best West Moving

Established in 2018. Since our foundation Best West Moving has been known for quality services, exceptional efficiency and the highest level of professionalism. No matter what service you're looking for, we guarantee to not only meet, but exceed your expectations and ensure your full satisfaction. Our team is up for every job, managing projects with the skill and experience our clients have come to expect. Please get in touch to learn more about our team, our company or for details about the services we provide. Also we are new on Yelp platform, or we set up too low daily budget :) Some feedback from our former customers keep disappearing. Please kindly refer to Hidden reviews at the bottom.

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, PayPal

Grandfather Clocks - Cleaning, oiling, adjusting, Rebuild, & Fix.

I do not make house calls for free. If you are looking for a "free estimate" I will give you some round numbers on the phone. If we make an appointment, I consider it a commitment to give your clock the best service possible for a price that we agree on in advance. I do not work on electric clocks. It is usually more economical to replace rather than repair a battery operated clock.