Reliance Home Services Inc

Founded 1947 • With Angi since September 2010

4.1

8599 Venice Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90034

Reliance Home Services Inc is dedicated to providing homeowners with the highest quality customer service. Our technicians are prompt, clean, friendly, and respectful.

05/22/2018

Michele E.

Very well, professional, on time, great manners. A bit overpriced

Description of Work
Leaking toilet

01/13/2018

Richard C.

They provided possible situations and answers, in the end lucky for me no serious issues a simple fix , informed me on what to look for next time, and how to take care of it , but anything above that issue I would require a plumber’s expertise. Very Courteous and Professional, as well as informative on my water heater.

Description of Work
Water heater diagnostics, not working

Category water heater repair

11/10/2017

Natalie B.

It went very well. Plumber was very thorough and experienced.

Description of Work
Dishwasher hose needed to be replaced.

09/20/2017

Michael H.

The work itself was great-good, clean equipment; pleasant and friendly plumber; care was taken to make sure the drain line was clear and clean; job swiftly and professionally tended to. Plumber showed up 15 minutes after stated appointment window, but that was no big deal. His attention to the task and demeanor made the wait inconsequential.

Description of Work
Main waste line clean out. A preventative measure since the city's tree roots are invading the waste line.

Category sewer cleaning

01/18/2017

Tamara D.

I called Reliance, and within 4 hours, their technician, Dylan, was at my home listening to my concerns. Within the next 2 hours, he had flushed the Noritz (it had a lot of debris), and had figured out why the Naviens were slow to deliver hot water. The original installer had failed to flip the dip switch that operates the return pipe. Once the switch was flipped on both heaters, the wait time for hot water was ~5 seconds from a cold start - and almost instantaneous 1-2 minutes later. Two lessons: (1) Make sure a Navien Service Specialist intalls and services your Navien heaters. Our installer did not know Navien; he was brought in by our general contractor. (2) Hire Reliance if you want to get the job done quickly, correctly, and at a very reasonable rate.

Description of Work
My three tankless water heaters needed to be serviced - two Navien and one Noritz. One of the Naviens was taking up to 2 minutes to deliver hot water.

Category water heater repair

11/15/2016

Clayton W.

Excellent. David was courteous, professional, clean, and communicated clearly what the issue was and what was going to be done to fix it. This is my second time using Reliance and I will continue to use them in the future.

Description of Work
Gas leak on a dryer after replacing it with a newer model. David G replaced the valve, installed a new flex line since the old one was not up to code, and fixed the leak.

11/15/2016

Michael H.

Effort on their part was fine. Project was kind of torturous given the cramped space and all the work needed to be done overhead. The service tech did a fine job But I had a coupon from a previous job that they did for me, which the service tech didn't use.

Description of Work
Under kitchen sink re-plumbing to finish off project I started. To replace the sink's faucet, the water service and the drain line had to be removed.

09/21/2016

Martha K.

It went well and he invited my husband to watch so he could explain. I was grateful that he was considerate enough to remove his shoes when he entered the house. CHRIS seems like a knowledgeable and friendly guy. He also helped us figure out how to change the spray feature on our kitchen sink.

Description of Work
Evaluated the condition. Recommended a shut off valve replacement. I suggested we try a clapper replacement first. He left for the part and returned quickly and installed, but had to remove tank to do it. Product is an American Standard toilet. Leak seems to have stopped.

08/04/2016

Charles L.

It was just outrageous. It was somewhere around $700 or something like that for less than an hour and a half of work. The rep was courteous. In my opinion, the rep was not knowledgeable and in essence did not know what to do to properly assess the problem, which manifested when the second rep came out in 2016. He right away saw the problem and he right away solved it. They should give him more product knowledge. Everything flows from there. After that I talked to the sales manager and he was very cooperative. In fact he knocked off about $100 off the thing.

Description of Work
They replaced a thermostat and they did an inspection of the condenser up on the roof. There was coolant that had leaked out. That was the reason for the call in the first place.

08/04/2016

Charles L.

The job that was originally done last year got botched. They were nice enough to send someone back out, but the job was botched to begin with. The rep was knowledgeable. He diagnosed the problem and fixed it. It probably took him half an hour to complete the job. Part of what he did was provided Freon. The reason why it needed more Freon was because it was botched back in September. So there was leaking that occurred between September and March. I thought that they would just give it to me for nothing, but he charged me for it. Apart from that, in my opinion, the cost of Freon was too high. This was an eye-awakener. I think this is probably fairly common in the industry. But, these plumbing repair places seem to be more marketing companies than they are plumbing companies in that they come in here and just want to not solve the problem, but they want to sell you stuff. They use high pressure. In fact, the gentleman that I subsequently worked with was very cooperative and very helpful after the September experience. His title was a sales manager. Why does a plumbing company need a sales manager? These are marketing people, these are not plumbers. That's my perspective.

Description of Work
They worked on the A/C unit. They were doing a follow-up call on the original work that was done last year.

05/30/2016

Edward I.

Keith T. was on-time, thorough and very professional. He had the right sized filter with him (an odd size). He went over the results of his inspection in detail with me; everything was OK.

Description of Work
Semi-annual furnace / air conditioning check-up.

05/18/2016

Nestor R.

They were supposed to arrive at my house to confirm work that needed to be done before being work. I was sent a contract via email. After they didn't show up and I called and Zack informs me that since I didn't sign the contract why should I expect them to show up? First of all thats illegal! Second had they told me that I needed to sign the contract before they came to my house I would've said good bye! No thank you. Instead I wasted my time waiting for them. At the end of the day I'm pleased it went down this way because obviously this isn't a contractor I would want to do business with anyway. For those seeking to have work done I suggest you call a few other contractors and if you absolutely must then call Reliance but only after you've exhausted all other options!!!

Description of Work
Nothing! They never showed up!

01/12/2016

Vicky H.

Excellent! He was punctual, courteous and patient. He took the time to help me install the app that went with the device on my devices. He was also very informative. After he left, I felt comfortable using the system.

Description of Work
Installed my thermostat.

Category electrician

06/23/2015

Claudia Z.

it went well..was very knowledgeable...finished the work in a couple of hours....just wish it was cheaper but the total price had a lot do with materials costs.

Description of Work
fix mini split AC units

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

05/16/2015

Melissa R.

The service went well. I think we called them for one thing and while I was talking to the guy, I saw that there was a puddle in the backyard. It turned out that I had a broken sprinkler valve and that is why it cost so much. I called them back again for something else. I think the price was okay because they gave us a discount.

Description of Work
We used Reliance Home Services. We had sprinkler problems. They had to replace some sprinklers and valves in our backyard.

Category irrigation systems

05/05/2015

Teresa D.

They quoted a $25 minimum service charge to see why one toilet was running, which is very reasonable given the cost of gas these days. Of course, they know there is something wrong, so it is worth it to them to charge $25 for the call and then get the business. I had a guest from New York, where they have "supers" to call when something goes wrong. Certainly not her fault. All I asked her to do was to wait for them to show up and fix the toilet. Unless you go to Synder Diamond or some other majorly upscale place, a new toilet costs around $300 - 400 dollars, with another hundred or so to install it. Brace for this one: $1596 and NOTHING got replaced. I left a blank, signed check. Honestly, I almost fainted. They gave me a "member" discount of $150, so the check they cashed was for $1446 !!! I was and still am speechless. They had the nerve to write a note that they were doing "major repair on toilet." What does that even mean? I am so embarrassed to have been taken like that. Though, technically, I was not the one who signed the invoice and approved the so-called work, I still feel like a dumb old lady who got fleeced..

Description of Work
I know that some companies have similar names and I do not want to malign the wrong company. This invoice shows License #193955. They "repaired" a toilet and cleaned an outside pool drain.

04/28/2015

Dan O.

Everything is fine and it work perfectly.

Description of Work
He relined my main line .

Category sewer cleaning

01/10/2015

Barbara K.

I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. They were just gouging with their prices. It is a very big company and have bought out several companies. They did a job for me five years ago for $13000. Within five years something happened and I got clogged. They said that it would take another $13000 to fix it. They had a plumber come here who tried to undercut their price. I don’t know if he was the crook or they were the crook. I wouldn’t use them at all. They showed me a video of the back pipes and they showed little flies in there. It meant that they somehow got inside the sewage pipes. I had a clog about two weeks ago and a guy came out and said that they didn’t pipe the whole backyard. I didn’t know that and thought that I was good for years. $26000 within a five year period of time is criminal. They were all extremely polite plumbers. It always took them a little bit long to get here because they are based out of Venice, California and I live in Burbank, California. They were on time. They appeared to be professional.

Description of Work
I used Reliance Home Services Inc for plumbing. They did copper plumbing in front of the house for water coming in. They also did the sewage pipes in the backyard.

11/27/2014

ERIN M.

the original big deal was to flush the water heater, however, this exercise determined that the anode was crusted up with calcium from the hard water, so he recommended that we replace it to protect the water heater coils. This was an additional charge, but he was able to get the appropriate part from his car and do it right then and there.

Description of Work
flush and anode replacement on water heater

09/08/2014

CLARITA N.

It seems my hair, after childbirth, has been clogging up our shower. I decided to spread the wealth around seeing that we need this service about once a year -- to de-clog the shower. I called these guys and the service guy was nice enough & professional enough but my shower was CLOGGED AGAIN in just 5.5months! Of course, their warranty is only for 30days. We're disappointed that this company's unclogging only lasted 5.5months vs our normal with past companies of about a year!

Description of Work
Cleared out drain in shower

Category plumbing, drain cleaning

Ms. [removed member name], This is the first we've learned of your dissatisfaction. We appreciate your complimenting our technician. Our records, however, differ with your account of your service history. The last time we visited your property was August 2013, which is 13 months ago, rather than 5.5 months. As consumers, we all wish that warranties would last forever, but 30 days is actually, above the industry standard for drain cleaning. Further, the warranty was presented to you and signed by you, at the time of service. We have thousands of loyal customers, spanning several generations and we value each and every one. We have tried phoning you, with no success. Please, feel free to phone our Service Manager and let us know if and how we can count you as a satisfied and ongoing customer. Sincerely, Reliance Home Services Customer Satisfaction Dept.

08/04/2014

Melissa R.

Irrigation valves now work and we no longer have a leak.

Description of Work
Replace two irrigation valves, fixed leak in irrigation pipe, installed regulator for irrigation system.

07/14/2014

Lydia A.

.The initial contact was great, prompt, was able to diagnose the problem immediately. the supv, was involved on a continous basis. this was a major job, and the work took about 3 days, maybe 4.

Description of Work
changed out piping from the house all the way to the main line.

07/09/2014

Sandra S.

A water pipe broke in the middle of the night. I called Burbank Plumbing. The call was picked up by Reliance Home Services. Bill West came to give me the estimate and oversaw the work. Two workers from yet another plumbing company did the job. Their work was very good; their price was way too high, but I was desperate. I subsequently noticed that their price conflicted with the $2000.00 valuation they gave the building dep't for a permit. I called them when I saw the discrepancy and asked for a price adjustment. They gave me $100. They would not send me a copy of the page they'd used from their pricing book. Did having so many plumbing companies involved affect the cost?

Description of Work
Replaced broken galvanized water line in back yard with copper pipe. Rerouted line along grass and under house as original ran under concrete patio. Replaced sprinkle valves.

Category plumbing, drain pipe, drain cleaning

07/07/2014

elise M.

My experience was very good. Nelson was very professional, knowledgeable & honest. I would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
20 point A/C inspection.

04/15/2014

Marlene S.

There are still issues I am exploring, so I can't speak to them yet. What is undisputed is that I was quoted almost $13,000 for what was to be a 6-day labor-intensive job. In actuality, it was less then a 2-day job, but was not completed for almost 2 weeks. Reliance told me that the delay of more than a week (after the 1st day-and-a-half of work) was because they were waiting for city inspectors from the Department of Public Works, whose schedules were backlogged about a week. Please note that when I called various city departments, I was told the usual turn over time for an inspection was 24 hours from time of request and that there was no week-long backlog. The other less-than half a day was to fill/repair the asphalt. Per the contract, Reliance charged everything to my credit card. Reliance has not been responsive to requests for modification of what is unquestionably an outrageous price.

Description of Work
Not quite sure. Either replace a 3 foot segment of sewer pipe or replace "saddle" that connects sewer pipe to city main line. Part of my current fact-finding.

Category plumbing, drain pipe