EYE 4 DESIGN

Los Angeles, CA 90041

LIC#878235...

04/21/2015

Adriana K.

It went well and it was all fixed. We also had his company help us out with carpentry work on our old house as we were getting ready to sell and they did a great job. Would hire again.

Description of Work
We had several jobs to do in our new house and Nick had his guys help us out with various handy work. They also removed the popcorn ceiling. It's been more than a year so I don't remember the exact price.

Category contractors, drywall, woodworking, home remodeling

08/18/2014

Adriana K.

We have used this company a handful of times now for various jobs. The last time we had them over we them fix a few carpentry issues we had. We also had hired them previously to resurface our ceilings after the "cottage cheese" ceilings were removed from our old house. Nick and his one of his crew members also came to fix up various items in our old house when we were in the middle of escrow. He always is right on time and has very friendly people on his crew. We will continue to use his services when something comes up.

Description of Work
Created a new attic ceiling door for us and fixed the threshold and also fixed an outside small door to get under the house.

Category drywall, remodeling, woodworking, doors

05/31/2014

Scott W.

The project went fairly well. It was a large project with an old house so bound to be some problems but overall satisfied with the workmanship. I haven't done the final cost tally but estimating so far $300-350k (for the entire project). The project was 6 months of planning and then a little over a year to able to move-in (most important items completed). I thought they did a good job tying the new addition and modern interior styling to the craftsman style house. Tile and floor work were all good. It took a little longer than expected but I'd rather have it done correctly than quickly. I found Eye 4 LA through the architect on the project (Martin Fenlon Architecture). I also had a few contractors I have used over the years (Steve @ Fire Safe Chimney for fireplace rebuild and lining, John Flowers Woodworking for cabinetry and Paul @ Stolie Painting for interior paint). Nick had contractor accounts at several suppliers so helpful to get discounted items (Lilianna Santana @ Ferguson for plumbing fixtures, Emser Tile for ceramic tile and a new one I added for him at Porcelanosa tile).

Description of Work
Complete remodel and addition to 1920's craftsman style house. Major areas remodeled include Kitchen, 3 bathrooms, new floors. Addition expanded and opened up the kitchen and dining areas plus added laundry/utility room and porch to upstairs second bedroom. New windows (except for the original architectural windows) and new interior doors.

Category decks, flooring contractor, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling, doors

04/16/2014

Alexa S.

Remodeling a kitchen is tough. We had to move everything into our living room and our second child was born as they finished up. Yet it was surprisingly not that stressful. The main guy, Nick, is a pleasure to work with and takes the job seriously and genuinely wants to do the best job possible.

Description of Work
Remodel the kitchen -- completely. Knocked down walls and took everything out. Built it all back up structurally, and worked with us on each detail.

09/15/2013

Elizabeth A.

Eye4Design is the ideal contractor. They are talented, hard-working, detail-oriented, and honest. I can't tell you how many times they came up with a much cheaper alternative to whatever I was doing. Just this last time they easily saved me $1,000 by suggesting a fast and effective alternative way to solve the problem we were having. I hire Eye4Design for both big and little things and each time I am impressed with them. Their entire team is excellent and does great work. The owner Nick is very smart, capable, and honest. Hire them- you will love them.

Description of Work
I've been hiring Eye4Design for probably the last 15 years. They are amazing. They can do anything and they do it well. Nick has an eye for historical restorations that can't be beat. He and his team are talented, hard-working and honest. I wouldn't even bother calling anyone else.

Category decks, handyman service, remodeling, stucco, home remodeling

05/09/2013

Larisa C.

nick came on time, he was professional, he go the estimate to me in a very timely manner and i appreciate all that he did. i will be moving forward with him soon, just waiting for my re-fi to go through.

Description of Work
nick came over and gave me an esitmate for remodeling my bathroom along with an addition.

03/12/2013

TRACY R.

We lived with a backwards-facing garage for 15 years before mustering the funds and gumption to do something about it. Nick and his crew made our dreams a reality: we can now drive straight into our garage from the street. And it?s gorgeous! Nick took a little longer to deliver his bid than competing contractors did. But in every possible way, he was worth the wait. Here are some of the reasons we?ll be using Nick again: 1. He showed an appreciation for and familiarity with older homes (ours was built in 1941), and had an aesthetic sensibility unmatched by his competitors. He lived up to his company name. 2. He took the time to get it right, both structurally and aesthetically. He worked closely with our architect and garage door contractor. And when our pedestrian door was delivered with flaws, he encouraged us to return it. This threw off the schedule and probably inconvenienced him, but he prioritized our satisfaction and the success of the project. 3. He was concerned for both his clients and his workers. I got the sense that he paid his people fairly and treated them well, and they respected him for it. I also felt that he hired people who were honest, friendly, and accessible. I ask a lot of questions, and as a woman, I don?t want to be dismissed, talked down to (or worse yet, ogled). These types of problems, experienced with workers from various other companies over the years, were never an issue with Nick and his crew--I always felt respected. He had great social skills?never made me feel wrong or dumb. And he responded swiftly to my many calls and emails?thanks! 4. When there were hiccups in the process, I always felt that Nick was on our side, and the integrity of workmanship and customer satisfaction were of paramount importance to Nick. There were no showdowns, arguments, or drama: just people working together to find mutually satisfactory solutions. 5. Jacob! Wow?what a terrific work ethic. If he had a dollar for every question he patiently answered, he?d be able to retire. Skilled painter and craftsman. Overall, the experience was fantastic. We received more than our money?s worth: a beautiful garage and driveway. Thanks, Nick, we?ll be calling you again soon.

Description of Work
Remodeling—General Carpentry Stucco Painting—Exterior Framing Electrical Doors Concrete Garage remodel, closing up existing garage door opening and relocating opening 180 degrees opposite, facing the street. New driveway. Installation of wood siding, stucco, pedestrian door, new electrical on interior and exterior of garage.

Category contractors, concrete repair, concrete driveways, electrician, garage doors, remodeling, siding, woodworking, stucco, house painters, doors

01/08/2013

CAROL KASPER W.

Two workers took measurements and specifics for the owners' needs. There was a fairly detailed discussion of what was possible for the rolling drawers. The details were all verbal. Several weeks later the company called to set up installation. The units were installed, I believe, in one day. Some carpentry was necessary at the site. The drawers are working satisfactorily. The rolling shelves are of excellent quality and work smoothly. Their craftmanship was excellent. The workers were professional and courteous. The time between job initiation and day of installation was about a month, which seems a bit long for this job, even given that the drawers were imported.

Description of Work
We needed three kitchen drawers retrofitted to replace defective roller guides. We also needed rolling shelves for an under-counter cabinet.

Category custom cabinets, woodworking

07/26/2012

Amanda & Daniel H.

Nick came by to give us an estimate. He was excellent at communicating about times and changes for the appointment. He seemed to be really on the ball. When he arrived he had a great attitude and mentioned having just been to a home show that was hosted by the magazine that inspired our remodel. He said he'd have an estimate for us by Sunday, and his guys came over Saturday to double check Nick's numbers. (Our house is crazy). When the guys came over they referenced piping wrong walls, cut me off and looked immediately at my husband for direction. My husband is a great guy, but I'm running the remodel show- so that was insulting. The plumber didn't even go into the bathroom we'd planned to re-pipe. One of them kept going around the house giving us a list of other things we should do. As they left they said they wouldn't be able to give us any "hard numbers" until they started the work. When I asked for "soft numbers" to know if we could afford their services, he said he was going on vacation and would get them to me in a few weeks. We haven't heard from Nick or the guys...too bad, Nick seems like he'd be a great contractor. His "vision" was completely in line with ours from what he said during his appointment. ***After Nick's response, I've changed the "grades". Although I did not receive his estimate, I believe it is stuck in cyberspace (he didn't seem like the kind of guy to lie about something like that). I would give Nick an A in professionalism, and his subs a C; however, I believe Nick will consult with them and they will be awesome in the future! Next time we have a project I will give Nick a call.

Description of Work
Estimate for plumbing, electric and bigger projects down the road.

Category electrician, plumbing, home remodeling

I am sorry for what seems to be miscommunication. I did send an estimate, perhaps to the wrong email or junk mail? My sub contractors are usually on the ball and treat people with respect, otherwise they would not work for me. I am not too sure what happened but I will talk to my subs to see if we can improve their customer service.

06/15/2012

MARY J.

I feel this option is too expensive for the average homeowner. But I would recommend Nick to my wealthier friends.

Description of Work
I got an estimate for a small bathroom remodel..The 4 piece bathroom is currently fully functional and all water darainage and electrical systems are currently working well. The intent of the remodel is purely cosmetic as the bathroom is basically the same style as when the house was built in 1931.I have upgraded over the years to copper plumbing and plastic drainage systems and the tile walls and floor are in good condition. We are not talking about a horror show and there are no structural problems no cracks and no mildew or other problems..It is just plain UGLY. I am to supply the bathtub sink and toilet and tile and fixtures. My handyman would do the demo and dispose of the trash. The tub shower toilet and sink would all remain in the same place as they currently are. Nick was very punctual , listened to my requests and attempted to improve the configuration of my bathroom. He was friendly and polite. However, I was stunned by his estimate given the limited scope of the work.

Category home remodeling

As I remember it, there were some complexities to this project: galvanized plumbing, access issues, and possible water damage. This may have made the price somewhat high. We try very hard to quote a realistic price that will give the customer a real sense of what the project will cost up front. We try to limit change orders and extra costs once the project starts.

06/08/2012

BETHANY O.

If you are looking for a talented, reliable and honest contractor -- look no further than Nick Reynolds at Eye 4 Design. Nick and his crew are professional, courteous, punctual and friendly -- they take pride in their work and will go to great lengths to make the customer happy. Nick has an easy going personality and is very easy to work with and talk to. He is not a pushy kind of guy, and most importantly, he listens to you! When any problems arose he always remained calm and was quick to find solutions, not make excuses. He worked diligently to keep my project on time and within my budget. Nick and his team always treated me and my home with respect and I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Description of Work
Master suite addition consisting of bedroom area, walk in closets and master bath totaling 350 sq ft of new construction plus a 150 sq ft remodel to create a new in-home office space and deck. Work included excavation, foundation, framing, installing windows and doors, wood siding, drywall, paint (interior and exterior), electrical, plumbing, tile work and clean up.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, picture framing, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

The member is awesome to work for. Not only does she understand the complexities and the patience required to complete a project like this, she also introduced us to Triple Crown Hardwood Floors. Tomi at Triple Crown is now our exclusive wood floor sub contractor.

03/26/2012

Cathy M.

Nick and his team started work on the 1st of October by demolishing the old kitchen, and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner in the new kitchen. They were absolutely phenomenal! Now, two years later, the compliments keep coming on our great-looking and wonderfully efficient kitchen.

Description of Work
Complete kitchen remodel.

03/03/2012

Joanne I.

Nick estimated that it would take 5 weeks from start to finish and it did. Stripped the master bathroom down to the 2 X 4 beams. I stayed actively involved in the process and we kept on task through the whole process. Nick and crew were fabulous and customer service was the best I could every imagine. We had a couple issues with the plumbing order (I didn't totally check item by item that all was there). We didn't get the sink that goes inside the counter top of the stand alone cabinet, Didn't get the toilet seat to the toilet but those really fell on my shoulders as I placed the order. We used Vinsa tile in Pasadena, do not recommend using him. Overpriced, overordered and not happy with the followup on our order.... Nick and crew were neat, clean, and excellent quality of work. I have already recommended them to a friend of mine who just moved into a new house to her.

Description of Work
Gutted the master bathroom and put all new appliances, plumbing, and elecricial in.

01/17/2012

Camilla T.

The project was completely unplanned, unexpected. We wouldn't have done it at this time if our old tub hadn't developed a slight leak in the diverter knob. Everything happened very quickly. Nick Reynolds came to look at our bathroom for the first time on September 22. He sent his plumber to take a look at our situation a couple of days later to see what could be done with the minimal amount of expense. We met with Nick again the following week and we spoke about all of our options and we decided to take the most drastic route by removing the built-in jacuzzi tub all together. I soon went shopping for bathroom fixtures and shortly after delivery, demolition began on the 24th of October. The job went fairly smoothly. The biggest glitch was when the big wind storm took place in December and we had no electricity for 3 days. Nick Reynolds always managed to keep the stress level down. The project was finally completed on the 3rd of January. The project took a little longer than expected due to the wind storm and the holidays. I've now been through 3 remodels since December of 2004. This remodel was by far the best experience. Nick Reynolds and his crew are a great team. They are very professional and trust worthy. They also make every effort not to affect the rest of your home, where construction is not taking place. I think that's really important, especially when one must live in a home while a remodel is going on.

Description of Work
We developed a leak in the plumbing fixture for our jacuzzi tub which was encased within a deck in the master bathroom. A regular plumber couldn't fix the problem because there were no access panels to allow one to get to the plumbing problem. We contacted Nick and he presented us with several options to our problem. We decided to go for a complete redo because we didn't particularly like having a built-in jacuzzi tub. We kept the the same layout of the bathroom as before, but the old bathtub had to be removed and it was replaced with a free standing tub. Since the decking for the old tub was connected to the bathroom cabinet as well as the shower, those items had to be removed as well. A new replacement shower and cabinet had to be built. Since the old shower didn't have a light or vent above it, new ones were installed, improving the shower. As for the cabinet, we had a more attractive and better quality cabinet built to replace the old one. New sinks were installed as well as new faucets, shower heads, etc. The old travertine floor had to be removed and replaced with new travertine because it would have been impossible to match. The walls were given a Venetian plaster treatment rather than a straight paint job to make the room a little more interesting. Since our master bedroom was connected to the bathroom, we had that room painted to match the bathroom color. Our new bathroom looks great!

12/16/2011

Alan T.

Nick and crew were thoughtful, professional, made great suggestions and took their time to get things right. They took pride in their work. Nick was upfront about the time the project was going to take. Any additional time was pretty much based on extra work (over and above the original contract) we requested. Total project time was around three months from start to finish. Nick was readily available throughout the project and ensured that all my concerns were taken care of as they came up. I would highly recommend Nick to anyone and I would use his services again if/when needed in the future

Description of Work
Created a master suite including an open concept bathroom, closet and custom built shelving. Moved laundry room to a different location, moved walls including a load bearing wall, installed a new tankless heater, new lighting throughout the house, restored fireplace back to Spanish plaster and tile, removed broadloom and restored and stained hardwood floors.

Category custom cabinets, contractors, ceramic tile, closet systems, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, picture framing, hauling services, heating & air conditioning/hvac, lighting, plastering, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, ceiling fans, stucco, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

12/10/2011

Corinna B.

We asked for an estimate, and were told that we could get one by sending photos and a description of the work that would be done. The estimate was more than we could afford but they were lovely to interact with and very prompt. If were weren't on a tight budget we certainly would have given them a try.

Description of Work
Very prompt and courteous response, but sadly the estimate was beyond our budget.

Category drywall

12/09/2011

Gary S.

Since the necessary repairs weren't evident until the roof was opened up, we proceed on a time and materials basis with a "worst case" estimate. This requires much trust, and I am happy to report Nick and his crew proved themselves worthy. Nick's crew accomplished my goals. The final cost was, I believe, reasonable and fair for the service.

Description of Work
Roof joist and rim joist straightening and replacement.

Category picture framing, home remodeling

11/09/2011

Edward M.

They were excellent and I really liked what they did. The owner, Nick Reynolds, was a phenomenal guy and I really liked working with him. I would use them in a heartbeat and in fact, I recommended them to several people.

Description of Work
I used Eye 4 Design about 6 months ago. They pretty much remodeled a lot of my house.

Category handyman service

11/07/2011

Seth C.

Our bathroom had flooded causing quite a bit of damage to our house upstairs and downstairs. Nick was great form the beginning and great all the way to the end of the project. Very easy going, but professional. Also very easy to communicate with. Nick and his workers were punctual. They were also great with working around our dogs. The quality of the work was A plus. We are so thrilled with the way everything turned out. We also appreciated NIck's advice that he gave us along the way when we were unsure of of certain decisions.

Description of Work
Our bathroom was completely gutted and remodeled:Shower, tub, tiles, vanity, plumbing, electrical. Our family room also was gutted due to an upstairs plumbing leak: drywall, ceiling, painting, wood panel.

Category ceramic tile, closet systems, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, plumbing, stucco, home remodeling, interior painters

I hope he means "hired him"

07/30/2011

Jon S.

Our remodel went smoothly from start to finish. Nick's estimate was clear and detailed. There were no hidden costs and everything was broken down into segments so you could see exactly what you were paying for. I have never seen a clearer or more detailed estimate from anyone who has worked at my house. The remodel was brought in at exactly the estimated cost and time. Every detail was enumerated in the original estimate and there were no surprises. The crew was very professional and knew their crafts. I was nervous about the project and they certainly inspired confidence. Nick was very attentive to our wants and needs. He showed up everyday to check on the progress of the remodel. He always responded to e-mails and phone calls promptly. From start to finish working with Nick and his crew was easy. Most importantly we were able to work with Nick and his crew to achieve exactly what we wanted without any compromise. I would definately call Eye4Design for any future projects at my home.

Description of Work
Totally remodeled the kitchen. It was taken down to the studs. We had the kitchen rewired and new circuit breakers put in. The walls were redone in drywall. The floor was tiled and new cabinets installed. A granite counter top was added with a tile backsplash. New lighting was added throughout. The kitchen was painted. During the cabinet installation several problems arose fitting our semi-custom cabinets into the exisitng space. The carpenter custom constructed extra pieces to make sure everything fit perfectly and seamlessly. Nick's crew of craftsmen was up to handling any of the complications that come with remodeling an older house.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, lighting, plumbing, home remodeling

06/22/2011

Brian M.

Everything about them was good. I would rate high overall. I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I used Eye 4 Design for installing a backslash in the kitchen. The last time I used them was last fall.

Category handyman service, remodeling

11/16/2010

Andrew G.

Through out the project Nick (the contractor) stayed in touch with me and the most important part was that he always got back to me immediately. Never a hassle, never. I was lucky and only ran into one bad contractor through my project, but these guys were fantastic and truth be told, I don't give compliments easily. They've earned it. Thank you Nick, Mike, Bob and the rest of your capable crew. I will send you pictures of the finished project.

Description of Work
I am not one for writing reviews because I feel they are subjective to every personality and the particulars of each job. However, since it was the reviews on this site that helped me get in contact with this particular contractor, it would only be fair that I do my part and share my experience with you. My initial contact with this group was through the framer "Mike" and I instantly felt comfortable with his skills based on his detailed examination of the plans as well the ultimate look we were after. I did not even wait to see other bids or vendors and proceeded to hire them. Now to be perfectly honest their bid was more than I had anticipated paying for this portion of the job, but since I was comfortable enough with Mike's skills I went forward. Nick the contractor called me the same day and we discussed the job and I expressed my strong desire to start the next morning since I could not proceed with other aspects until this was completed. He communicated with me until well after 11:00 pm that night and Mike was on the job the next morning, just as I had requested. In my opinion the best thing about Mike aside from his skills was his interest in the final look of the job vs. just completing his portion. This guy is insightful and thorough. His assistant was hard working and very pleasant as well. As in any job there were challenges, but nothing they couldn't handle or work around. This job was inspected by the city at every stage and it passed every time. Mike even told me when his job was done, to call him personally if there were any issues and he would come out and take care of it (now how often do we hear that). Bob the electrician (who reminds me of Abe Lincoln) was also very pleasant and knowledgeable. He showed up and completed his portion and came back over and over to address various stages of the job. The plumber equally as good.

Category contractors, concrete repair, electrician, handyman service, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

09/04/2010

Amy M.

We have a small room right in the middle of our house that had crumbling walls. We have had many look and say it is a nasty big job to replace the, but Nick came and gave us an estimate, which was well within our expectations. He convinced us to use veneer board and plaster, instead of regular dry wall, mud and tape. This was a great idea for our old house. We scheduled a time to do the work, and stayed in touch via email. On the first day of the job, he and his crew showed up on time. They demolished the walls and ceiling and had everything hauled away before we even got back to look at it. They were on the job every day until it was finished. They were wonderful: cheerful, dog-friendly, professional, neat, left things in tidy order at the end of each day's work. Each step was done in a timely manner, and each step was done with care, and the finished product was everything I had hoped for. I hope to be able to hire this crew again for the rest of the rooms in this house!

Description of Work
Nick Reynolds and his crew delivered! We needed new walls on our central room, and I had pictured using standard drywall, mud, tape, etc. But when Nick came to do the estimate, he mentioned a type of wall board and plaster we were not familiar with, claiming it to be less of a mess, less sanding, and a better product overall. He was right! Our room is beautiful, and the plaster leaves a smooth finish with no seams, and much less dust due to very little sanding. The painters came in after and took such care to get it really right. I couldn't ask for a better job!

Category plastering, remodeling, interior painters

07/28/2010

MICHAEL W.

A plumber, called to unclog a clogged bathtub drain, reported that a toilet leak beneath our bathroom tiles, had rotted the underfloor to an extent that neither the floor nor the bathtub were adequately supported and had become a safety hazard. It appeared that both the tile floor and wood underfloor would have to be removed and reconstructed at a cost which could run as high as a few thousand dollars. We phoned Nick Reynolds of Eye 4 Design, who had worked for us previously, and whose competence and integrity we trusted completely, and requested that he assess what needed to be done. Nick assessed the damage and said he would have his "framer" come out to corroborate his opinion that it would not be necessary to totally remove and reconstruct the bathroom underfloor. Once this was done, the work was undertakened and completed as described above.

Description of Work
In order to support our bathroom floor and bathtub, because extensive rotting of the underfloor had occurred due to a toilet leak beneath bathroom floor tiles, new joists and blocks were installed, and the weight of the floor and tub are now sufficiently supported.

Category flooring contractor

07/27/2010

Kathryn R.

It went very well - even though a small job, I am very satisfied

Description of Work
Carpenter installed base board and crown moulding provided by home owner in new office and bedroom

Category woodworking