CMRS Construction

Founded 1996 • With Angi since August 2006

5419 Hollywood Blvd Ste C-133

Los Angeles, CA 90027

Women majority owned & operated boutique construction company, specializing in remodels, 203K construction remodels, decks, all the way to handyman projects. In house design services including colors, sourcing, 3d Concept drawings, architectural drawings, city permit processing. . 203K approved Additional email - liza@cmrsconstruction.com. Angies List Award winning....

09/29/2014

Grace B.

The company refused to honor the deal.

Description of Work
I purchased the Big Deal, "$49 for a Kitchen or Bathroom Design Consultation."

Category home remodeling

08/08/2014

Margareth K.

Good we had new footing put in and new beams and joists replaced.

Description of Work
Reinforced a upper deck.

Category contractors, decks, handyman service

07/03/2014

Nicole W.

We haven't made a decision about this deck project. But DMRS will be our go-to company once we made that decision.

Description of Work
Quote only, twice!

05/16/2014

Charles L.

The CMRS generally did a great job, they took care with the project and I felt they looked out for my interests. The project took a little longer than anticipated and communication at times was a little spotty, but their pricing was competitive and Daryl and Randy were great to work with on a personal level, so I am satisfied with how things went. The bathroom came out looking great!

Description of Work
Bathroom renovation: demolition, joist repair, new wall construction, new tile work.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, drywall, handyman service, remodeling, home remodeling

05/07/2014

CARL L.

I contacted three contractors, all of whom received A ratings on Angie's List, and only CMRS promptly returned the phone call and provided an estimate. While there were a few glitches, as there will be with any project, CMRS met my most important needs: they started the job when they said there were going to start, and they produced a quality product. Their communication was excellent, as both Daryl and Liza returned e-mails almost immediately. I will definitely turn to them again when we are in need of a contractor.

Description of Work
They demolished a rotting fence and installed a new one.

Category fencing, handyman service

04/23/2014

claire O.

It was okay. It was kind of medium, not horrible but not great either. The pricing was pretty good. We got 3 bids from 3 different people and they were not the cheapest, but they weren't the most expensive. They were kind of middle of the way.

Description of Work
We were selling the house so we had to update certain things 3 years ago. CMRS Construction partly refinished the floor, they fixed some tile in the fireplace, and they took out an old deck.

Category flooring contractor, deck cleaning, fireplaces

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, whilst we are disappointed at what was written when we thought everything went very well.

04/15/2014

Khristopher K.

They came out before the work date to do an inspection, take measurements etc and get any last minute detail. They arrived on time the day of work. It turned out to be a bit fussier than originally thought. Daryl did a superb job on the finish. We forgot to discuss a handle...we purchased one and he came back and installed it without any issue. We are extremely happy in all aspects with CMRS and will look to use them for more work in the future.

Description of Work
CMRS added a cabinet front to a built-in dishwasher.

Category handyman service

Thank you for taking the time to write the review

04/08/2014

Douglas J S.

It was a terrible experience. They did nothing of value for the money. I was expecting a more detailed drawing or representation, and it was a rather cartoonish representation of the back of my house. I would advise them to make it to the potential client, exactly what the work product will be, and will look like. I would tell my neighbors not to bother.

Description of Work
I had purchased a big deal for CMRS Construction. The big deal was for a 3d plan for a deck.

Category decks

We have checked our database leads back to October 2013 and have no record of this client every contacting us, we think he has the wrong company, we have written to Angies List and asked them to supply proof that he in fact purchased this with us and that we visited him both Daryl and I have no memory of this, we have not provided 3 d drawings for clients on a deal for over 3 years. We think he has the wrong contractor

03/26/2014

Jennifer T.

It went okay. I don’t remember the specifics of it but there were some things that I think they could have done better. From what I remember there were things that crept up along the way that I kind of asked them to look at from the beginning and those were little things.

Description of Work
I used CMRS Construction to refurbish three levels of stairs and a deck.

Category decks, flooring contractor

We are disappointed to see that [removed member name]said she would not hire us again, she was a very nice person and we all got on well, we were doing some deck repair work on her home as she wanted to sell it, she did not want to replace it totally due to cost, so hence we repaired the obvious things, sometimes when you remove boards etc you find rot that you were uanble to see prior to that, perhaps this is what she meant about the things that came up. Unfortunately you cannot quote on what you cannot see.

03/03/2014

bridgette V.

The job was a little tougher than they thought. It is an old house and not very straight walls, etc. The 2 tile guys took their time in getting the job done. The hex tile on the floor could have been neater. A part of their grouting was redone because they used the wrong color grout on the base board area. But overall it was a good job and i appreciate that they worked on such a small job and got it done within my schedule. The company seemed pretty busy. The company's regular employees like Randy and Raul are good to work with. The owners are responsive. They did a job for me last year, too.

Description of Work
Small bathroom: Tore out old prefab shower stall and constructed/tiled a new one. Tiled floor.

02/20/2014

Arturo E.

Other than price, it was great. The quality of work was great.

Description of Work
I used CMRS Construction to rebuild some railing on my porch.

Category decks, woodworking

01/01/2014

Vivian R.

During the kitchen reno, they replaced the cabinet fronts on everything. They looked lovely but then I tried to open them and use the sliding drawers and the wheel mechanism now catched on the newly installed hinge in every single cabinet. They had previously worked just fine. They first, ridiculously, tried to claim that I should have specified that we wanted to cabinets to work post install. We had to argue with them about the fact that they made our kitchen less functional... This is only one example. They installed the marble countertop without regard to the entry doorway and the direction it swings and now it is impossible to open without the tongue of the door scraping along it... Very poorly planned and executed on their part. At that point there were too many screw ups and they were starting to refuse to fix items and were acting like we were crazy for requesting fully functional installations/renovations... At one point after the kitchen 'looked' finished I tried to turn on the under-cabinet lights that had been installed and realized they had not been put back in.... When I brought this to his attention he had the nerve to argue with me that there had never even been lights there... I had to go out to the pile of demo'd items and literally dig through it to show him the lights that his men had trashed and not replaced before he would remedy the issue...Tons of stuff like that... Promised more than their small team could handle. Might be better on small specific projects and if you are there to oversee at all hours (my husband and I both work long hours). One last example of how inattentive the head contractor is --- after working with us for over a month, meeting face to face at least a dozen times --- he approached a female house guest that was staying with us and proceeded to talk to her like she was me for a good ten minutes before he called her by my name and our house guest understood what was going on... Not good.

Description of Work
Painted interior/exterior. Redid kitchen counters, cabinet fronts and backsplash, removed a wall in living room, changed out a few doors, put in cork flooring.

Category drywall, home remodeling

11/11/2013

Juanita T.

He was very accommodating and made good suggestions as to color. I am very happy with the results.

Description of Work
regrout bathtub and shower and kitchen sink

Category handyman service

thank you so much [member name removed]

10/24/2013

Chris D.

I've used CMRS in the past for smaller projects, and decided to go with them for a larger garage repair from earthquake damage. Their prices are very fair and the work is usually of good quality. The problems I had with them was communication and professionalism. The length of the project was supposed to be 30-45 days. Although there were some additions to the overall project, the time reflected did not meet the scope of the additional works. The project was 2 weeks overdue and that delay was not necessary. There were spans of 3, and 4 days where no workers would show up when they were supposed to. Understandably, these are subcontractors with their own schedules, but the inability to get these guys to show up at a specified time was problematic to say the least. My job requires me to be gone from home for up to 5 days at a time, and although CMRS was willing to work around my schedule very well, they failed to keep me updated regarding the progress of important stages of the project when I was gone (which was one of the only stipulations I had of the company admin department). So I would come back home and see that no work had been done and have to call or ask via email why the work wasn't complete. Very frustrating. I do give them kudos for working on weekends and after hours to complete phases of the project. Also, the bookkeeping was a mess. The original estimate included a number that seemed to be pulled out of thin air. I asked for a more detailed estimate to include materials, hourly pay, etc, and barely received something that was useable. Numerous times they tried to charge me the incorrect amount for different stages of the project. It looked like they had a spreadsheet to keep track of expenses, but at times they couldn't even interpret their own numbers. Other times, they made mathematical errors and didn't even know it, or one person would tell me an amount was due and another person in the office would give me a different amount. Thankfully I kept track of my own expenses and corrected them when necessary. For the most part, the quality of work done was great, such as framing, cement work, stucco finishing, and general construction. But there were some areas where I had to prompt them to finish, or correct work that they thought was complete that actually wasn't (i.e. door trim and baseboards). Small oversights in the electrical work led to a small electrocution on my part when flipping a switch. Had they talked to me about it beforehand, it might have been prevented. Also some of the estimates of electrical loads were incorrect, leading to misinformation down the road. For example, I was wondering how much electrical load the entire garage could take, and was told 20 amps, when in reality, it had a 30 amp breaker, which could have been communicated had they checked the breaker panel. This tells me that the information I was getting, was at best, a guess, and not knowledge based on professional opinion. Overall, I think that CMRS is great for smaller projects such as window replacements or ceiling repair, or maybe a bathroom remodel. However, the company barely has the resources or administrative expertise to handle larger projects. I know they hired a new administrative worker, so hopefully this might improve the quality of the experience in the future. **UPDATE** So a year and some months later and there are still repairs being done to the original work. Despite CMRS saying that they go around and ensure that all of the finishing is complete, we are still finding drywall work that was not complete,. The drywall subcontractor left clumps of drywall mud on the window sills and left exposed mesh on some of the walls. In other places the drywall wasn't installed properly and had started cracking. The original GFCI electrical outlet that was installed also blew due to inadequate weather proofing, prompting me to cal them to replace it. The new outlet still has not been weather-proofed, despite many promises to do so. There was also a failure of the original extraction pump for the garage after minimal use. It backed up our sewer system into the house and caused raw sewage (fecal matter, etc) to back up into our dishwasher and spill all over our kitchen floor. It took a few weeks for CMRS to dig up and remove the old pump, order a new one, and install it (not sure they knew what they were doing). They also had to finish filling in the underlayment for our (expensive) artificial turf which was dug up for the original extraction pump. Again, this is more than a year after the original work was done. The main contractor is very flexible when it comes to additional repairs. He is hard-working and wants to please the customer. I even admit I had them come once while I was gone but forgot to unlock the door. My mistake completely. Unfortunately, the subcontractors he hires create more work in the end with shoddy original workmanship. Knowing what I know now and all of the additional trouble I have had to go through, I must say that, unfortunately, I would not hire them again.

Description of Work
Garage Repair

Category ceramic tile, concrete repair, drywall, electrician, picture framing, handyman service, insulation, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, siding, replacement windows, garage builders, window treatments, woodworking, stucco, home remodeling, house painters, doors

There is quite a few contradictions in this review, however a few things are correct. Firstly there was quite a few revisions to their original quote and client requested breakdown of materials/labor hours etc, which cmrs does NOT provide, it appears that even with the revisions the customer did not read their quote properly and even admitted at one point that he did not read it properly, hence there was some additional works added to the project once started which added 2 - 3 weeks longer, so in fact the project was NOT 2 weeks late. Yes, there was some days when no one was on site, and exactly as the client says we were waiting for our sub con's, and certain projects cannot be continued until other projects are completed, there is an order in which things must be done. Yes, there was one mistake with the excel spread sheet math recap of payments, a "sum" had been deleted reflecting that client owed us $1000 more, which was fixed. The project looks fantastic, even the client agree's and is of a high quality. We did work weekends and after hours as the client did not wish to get permits so we made all efforts to keep the project low key. I was not aware of the electrical problem, however I do know that their home is very old and requires a new panel in order to support the additional wiring required for the garage renovation. It is also quite normal at the end of project to go around and ensure all finishing is completed and we did not forget anything, ie; door trims etc....unless there was a baseboard in the toilet area, there was no other baseboards quoted to be installed, perhaps we did this as a free bee at the end of the job. I don't know why he had an issue with communication, we replied to emails from the client late at night / weekends etc etc...there was a few times where our onsite crew, had to double check with the office regarding scope of works, this is quite normal. All in all the project went very smoothly, I just don't think a lot of customers really understand what it takes to run a construction company, they think it is all as simple as the 30 minute DIY shows, that spend hours and hours of planning behind the scenes and have unlimited labor and budgets to do the projects. it is not REAL.....

10/07/2013

Jim K.

The job went well, from the initial visit to scope out the job and give an estimate, to the initial work of removing the affected wood, and the final visit to apply the filler material to restore the original contours.

Description of Work
The end of the beam supporting our porch roof rafters had a significant amount of dryrot. The affected wood was chiseled out, the exposed surfaces treated with an anti-fungal material, and filler material was applied to return the affected surfaces to their original contours.

09/27/2013

Pernilla R.

These guys are amazing. I had several estimates to fix my leaking shower and build access to my basement. Daryl gave me the best estimate and came up with some great ideas about how to fix things. An old house has many secrets that you don't find until you start to demo. Especially my house built 1922, that was a rental for many years with deferred maintenance. All was dealt with and and with creativity. Liza was great at keeping you up to date what was going on and when they were coming with frequent emails and quick to answer any questions i had. All workers were very nice and professional. I give thenm A+ for staying within budget, communication, craftsmanship, creativity and completing the work. This is only the second time I am using Angie's list and could not be happier.

Description of Work
Completely redid shower in my house built in 1922, with a history of leaks. Also built and access to my above ground basement.

Category handyman service, home remodeling

Thank you so much for your review, it was very nice working with you

09/16/2013

Marianne K.

They finished remodeling a bathroom that was started by another contractor. Some costs are a little expensive - like they charge me $50 to rehang a door. Also the cost to move a light a few was probably a lot more than most other contractors would have charged me. I would compare prices as much as possible. The project took over a month and I heard lots complaints from them about how they typically wouldn't take over an unfinished project. It wasn't the ideal situation for either of us. The work they performed was okay and they were very professional...and always organized.

Description of Work
Remodel my bathroom. Took over a project that was botched by someone else. It was a tough situation.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

[member name removed] is correct it is very difficult finishing up someone else's work, we are perplexed at her comment regarding our pricing being high, we provided quotes for every step along the way, in order for her to have the option to accept or not. She requested numerous additions and changes from the original scope hence the project taking longer. The finished product looked great and she was very happy

08/29/2013

Lisa D.

I recently used CMRS to replace a garden box window in my kitchen. It is an old house and an odd sized window and I am happy to say that Daryl and CMRS did a great job. They were very responsive via email and we were really impressed with the quality of the work. The finish work turned out great and we couldn't be happier with the final product. Daryl and his workers were always very courteous and did a good job cleaning up the area every day that they worked. Would definitely use them again.

Description of Work
Replaced a garden box window in my kitchen including part of the kitchen counter that was affected.

Category countertops, handyman service

08/19/2013

LESLIE D.

CMRS came in with a bid that was about $10,000 less than what we were quoted by two other contractors. When I first met with Daryl he walked me through everything that would need to be done and really thought about the best and most cost efficient way of doing things. Everyone else wanted to bring in a crane to lower the beam in, but he was sure that they could do it with a few extra guys. The whole thing went off without a hitch and they were even able to save the deck planks and reuse all of them. We had to do this as quickly as possible and Daryl and Liza were both very understanding and worked with us to make sure it all went smoothly.

Description of Work
We have a large deck on the back of our house which extends off into a canyon. The major support beam which supports half of the deck was rotten. CMRS replaced the beam as well as a few struts which had also rotted through.

Category handyman service, deck cleaning

Thank you so much (removed member name), we hope you sell your house for the price you want...all the best

08/14/2013

Vickie W.

The contractors arrived within the window expected - and were courteous and professional throughout the work. They spent the time to troubleshoot issues to make sure the installation was secure and the job well done. One of the brackets that held up the AC unit was not installed flush to the exterior building wall - we caught it before the second contractor left (Raul) and he redid the work so that it was done correctly. They only issue which turned out to be not an issue is that when Raul arrived first to install the custom cabinet doors - he wasn't told that the cat doors needed to be installed - but once he got confirmation that was supposed to happen he got it done on the spot.

Description of Work
CMRS installed two casement AC units and created custom plexi glass inserts for those windows which were extra large. They also made two custom cabinet doors out of plain plywood and installed two cat doors that I provided.

Category custom cabinets, handyman service, heating & air conditioning/hvac, replacement windows, woodworking, doors

07/15/2013

Irene G.

He repaired my my fireplace, and he did a wonderful job.

Description of Work
Repaired my fireplace.

Category woodworking

06/03/2013

Janie M.

Called CMRS to see if they would do a small job and they were more than happy to come out and take a look and give us a quote. The price came in within our budget. They were great with communication and the job was done as promised.

Description of Work
Repair and replace rotted wood in porch railing.

Category decks, handyman service

05/28/2013

MJ G.

We had CMRS Construction remodel our garage and put new floor in the bedroom. Service was fine not the best. The garage area we had a studio/office added. Bedroom had new tile floor put down and ceiling fan installed. At first work was going ok, when the job was getting close to finishing it was harder to get them to show up and finish the work.

Description of Work
Remodeled garage added Studio/office. New tile floor in bedroom and ceiling fan .

Category electrician, picture framing, plastering, plumbing, remodeling, garage builders, sunrooms

thank you for taking the time to place a report (removed member name) it is appreciated. Good ness had to believe we did this project some 2 years ago, I do recall there was a few additional touch ups at the end of the job that we had to return a few times ago, it was really more about the customer not reading the quote properly and thought certain things were included whilst they were not but it all got completed 100% and looked great.

05/09/2013

bridgette V.

Was pleased w final outcome. No surprises and they were fair. Good workers. They should have spent more time upfront understanding what I wanted done and figuring out details. They took 3 weeks for a small bathroom; I think this is slow. But they were professional and overall responsible.

Description of Work
Remodel bathroom: change out/reframe window-with outside stucco repair; new claw foot tub/shower installation;subway wall tile and hexagon flor tile; fan/light and scounce installation; new toilet; install new vanity/ sink; some drywall, patching, And painting.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

04/22/2013

michael R.

started great... I was worn out by the end. I felt like I was working for them... NOT the other way around.

Description of Work
Please Read all of the reviews don't just trust the letter grade... As I did. As you will read, almost all of the work done by CMRS in the few years they've been in business has been small jobs $500-1000. They have built a decent grade by staying small. Our job was $35k. Other reviews have noted that Liza seems to be more worried about getting paid than concern for the satisfaction of the customer. AND she will get mean if she thinks she's right. The other reviews were RIGHT. I experienced Liza's wrath more than once. I got to the point where I wanted CMRS gone just to get Her gone. So here's my take on our 3 month job. IF you hire them...make sure that you pick out exact items with model numbers and work out every single detail on paint, tiling, etc... In advance or you'll be arguing back and forth with Liza for the entire job. She wanted to pick out Home Depot treasures (code for the cheapest). Also, watch over the work. Liza will say, as a response, that I hovered over the workers. I came HOME everyday...I left them alone until I began noticing that I would have gotten substandard work and materials if I hadn't paid attention (example...half wall tiling in bath redone 4 times because it was done by a worker that obviously had never done tile). Do we love the finished product? Yes... But only because we argued... and fought for ....and threatened. If you don't mind all of that? Hire them. Make sure you ask for ... 1. Nicolas ONLY for tiling 2. Raul ONLY for all other work such as paint, installation, etc... 3. Subcontractors ONLY for electric 4. Everyone else .... you might as well do it yourself LASTLY... they used my garage as the staging area. 4 tools ($700-800) including my compressor, went "missing". I don't know what a contractors liability is on "missing" home owners tools but Liza was having nothing of it and she showed her true colors. A week later CMRS sent me a check for $200 .... Probably knowing THIS review would be coming.

Category handyman service

This report is to be expected, (Member name removed) was refered us by his bank as he had sacked the last contractor for his 203K project, the budget was very very tight, (Member name removed) was not correctly informed by his HUD inspector as to what to expect for the price. He required us to get at least 3 electrical quotes and he ended up going with our original sub con, which delayed the project some 3 weeks, (Member name removed) is a school teacher and used to heavily supervising his students, NON of our staff or SUB contractors wanted to work there, despite his report, he stood over our team 24/7 and reported to us daily with questions or concerns, he was more concerned with the process than rather the end result which is FANTASTIC...even he admits this. To get a F for responsiveness we find amazing as we answered 1000's of emails over the project all weekend and as late as 11pm with prompt replies, NOW we know why the other contractor probably walked away from the job, (Member name removed) actually did not understand what the scope of works with, he re inspected his counter top 3 times after signing off whilst he was already used to it. YES there was tools missing out of this garage, which has never been locked prior to our arrival, he kindly allowed us to stage our materials etc there....we felt terrible something went missing however he had tree haulers and other people on site and anyone could access this area from the street, the $200 was a token , we have never had anything removed from any of our jobs sites in the past 10 years. If (Member name removed) read more of our reports including on yelp he will see that we do numerous projects now for $25000 - $80000 etc so this was NOT considered a large job. (Member name removed) has also forgotten Liza's attention to detail in assisting with design idea's for his new bathroom to save him money. Any customers are welcome to speak to ANY of the CMRS employee's and sub con's to clarify the experience of working with (Member name removed). Liza mentioned to him many times to relax and allow the process to be completed, and that anything not to our usual high standard at the end of the project would be corrected, all works were signed off by the banks FHA HUD inspector and all works were signed off by the City of Sth Pasadena. We were also very glad to be finished with his job, he was A BIG headache.