CAL-QUAKE CONSTRUCTION

Los Angeles, CA 90036

LICENSE #: 759817....

03/30/2021

Ashole A.

Very bad not only did they delay the project 6 times. They also threatened residents in the neighborhood and left a huge mess. They would go days without showing up. Horrible experience never again.

Description of Work
Retrofitting

Category concrete repair, earthquake retrofitting

02/22/2021

anon A.

The HCIDLA said today that are not approving any future projects for Cal Quake Construction Inc due to multiple complaints & missing paper work. started work on November 23rd are still here February 22nd. They do nothing except laugh and waste time. Jonathan Taferner was black mailing tenants with threats to come in our apartments or vandalize our cars. They drink on the job. Made a huge mess. We're staring down tenants. One picture is a worker reclining in the bed of his truck drinking. Real professional. If your hire Jonathan & Joseph & all the ex felons you will regret doing so

Description of Work
Seismic Retrofit

Category concrete repair, earthquake retrofitting

04/10/2015

Isomi M.

Description of Work
Joseph and his crew at Cal-Quake are first rate contractors. They performed a retrofit to our 1928 house by adding support and bolting the foundation. We were impressed with their responsiveness and how little disruption this work caused. Crew cleaned up afterwards and it was like they were never there. Our remodel contractor was happy with the beams they added. They also added new secured access vents without even asking, which was a nice touch.

07/19/2013

Elliot S.

It went very well, when he came over and looked at my lightly damaged retaining wall he was able to suggest repairs I could do that would fortify it without it costing an arm and a leg. He isn't the first person I've had come and look at this from concrete repair companies, and he wasn't trying to make a deal happen. He looked at the situation, and knew right off it was too small for his people, but spent an hour or so over here anyway helping me to formulate a plan on how to fix it, and I already have people who can do the steps. Super nice guy, great attitude and attention. Would hire if I had a bigger problem, but hope I never do.

Description of Work
John came to my home the day after I filled out an online quote request and although my job was too small for the scale of what his company does, he broke down what I needed to do and helped me to formulate a plan.

10/26/2009

Nina G.

Shelly came out before we bought our house to do an inspection and provided a report and estimate for work within a day. The day we got the keys to the house, his team was there, early, and ready to work. They did the work on budget, on time and left the house cleaner than it was when they started. I was most concerned about leveling the house out because it's an 80 year old house with a lot of "settling," and I was nervous there'd be a lot of damage when they leveled the house, which they warned us could happen. It didn't and they did an amazing job leveling the house. The only thing I'm unsure of is that we had a problem with the gas line to the water heater and had to have the gas company out about a week later. We don't know if this happened when they were down in the basement bolting the house, but we got it fixed quickly and with minimal expense.

Description of Work
Anchor the house around the perimeter with Simpson UFP plates according to detail bolting 4' on center. Shear panel the perimeter cripple walls with 1/2" CDX plywood as per standard detail. Attach the floor joists to the cripple wall plate or mudsill with A35 steel brackets at all perimeter locations. Relevel the house under the dining room area as close as possible by readjusting the girder system in that area, installing new posts. Basically, they bolted the house and leveled it out, plus did cripple walls.

Category foundation repair, earthquake retrofitting

07/01/2008

diane G.

I was dissatisfied because I wanted a more defined report of what was wrong with our home. Their prices they quoted us for the repairs were pretty good.

Description of Work
They came in to do a home inspection to see if there was anything that was really wrong that needed correction that may be dangerous of causing an accident.

Category foundation repair, earthquake retrofitting

01/22/2008

BEN K.

Contacted Cal-Quake and they came out to do a cursory inspection. They recommended underpinning the crack by digging out beneath it and pouring a new concrete block around it. The crew arrived on time and decided that another mended crack farther away also needed to be fixed. They dug out underneath both cracks to expose the wall beneath grade and drilled at each spot to install rebar. They poured large 2' x 3' columns of concrete around and under each crack and re-packed the soil around each area. The crew was waiting for a supervisor to determine what to do outside but eventually they decided to move forward without him and poured an ad-hoc concrete drainage swell along the side of the house. It's not pretty but they didn't charge us any extra for it. They also didn't charge us for doing 2 cracks instead of just 1. Never spoke with a supervisor to understand the work as it progressed, but everything seems OK although it's still too damp to tell if fixes worked completely.

Description of Work
Underpinned two previously mended foundation cracks and poured a concrete drainage swell along the side of our house to route water away from the wall after water intruded underneath one of the foundation cracks we had repaired by Cal-Quake when we moved in (the original patch was OK).

05/04/2007

Elizabeth O.

Ms. Perluss' company does not do this type of work, however she still got back to me, via email, in a very short period of time and referred me to another company that DOES do this sort of work. I found this to be incredibly professional and friendly-and if ever I'm in need of the type of work her company does, I would likely call her first based on this experience.

Description of Work
I was looking for a company to do an inspection of wall to let me know if it was structural/load bearing, or not.

Category structural engineer

01/31/2007

John S.

John came out to inspect my house because I noticed a lot of cracks in the walls and was concerned it might be a foundation or structural problem. He did a very careful, expert inspection and explained what was happening. I was impressed by several things. First, he drove down to Orange County from LA within a few days after I made the appointment. He didn't charge me a cent for the inspection. And he gave me a very honest and professional opinion which didn't involve any further work. He recommended some drainage improvements in the landscaping and around the house and pointed out some flawed work that had been done on my house by previous owners, but he told me that I didn't have any major structural issues and I didn't have to repair the foundation or anything like that. I got very good vibes from him and I felt I could trust his professional assessment. To get that kind of reassurance and piece of mind for free is a rare thing.

Description of Work
Structural inspection of home & foundation.

01/02/2007

BEN K.

Great. Shelly's team showed up early and was done within the day. All of the work done was completed professionally and they cleaned up when they were done. The cost for the work was exactly what was estimated. When called for a subsequent job, however, Shelly never called back.

Description of Work
Mended 9 foundation cracks with epoxy, steel plates, and expansion anchors. Drilled screened vent holes and properly nailed existing sheer panel plywood in the basement crawlspace areas.

DiBara Masonry

Named "Top Masonry & Concrete Company" by Industry Oversight, we are a fourth generation masonry company, specializing in repairs, restorations and new installations of stone, block, brick, concrete and pavers, as well as waterproofing and sealing of any sort. No matter how odd, large or small the project may be, DiBara Masonry can provide exactly what you need, because with DiBara, expert advice is always free and expert service is always delivered. Our Story: Son of a third generation mason, DiBara Masonry's owner, Matthew DiBara, started working with a trowel and mortar beside his father at a young age on the outskirts of Boston, Massachusetts. After deciding to move west and build up his company there, Matt left the cold weather behind but carried with him the knowledge and history of his Italian ancestors and ever since has delivered expert quality sure to make Pasquale proud.

Offers by DiBara Masonry on Angi
    Chimney Sweep Masters

MDN Construction

We do all kinds of home remodeling, room additions, beautiful kitchen or bathroom work, excellent interior or exterior carpentry work, hardscaping pavers or concrete.

FOUNDATION REPAIR, FOUNDATION INSPECTIONS, NEW FOUNDATIONS, CRACK REPAIRS, EARTHQUAKE RETROFITTING, HOME BOLTING, CRIPPLE WALL BRACING, URM STRENGTHENING, TILT-UP STRENGTHENING, SOFT STORY REPAIR, LEVELING, CAISSONS, PILES, RETAINING WALLS, CONCRETE WORK, BLOCK WALL, FLAT WORK, FRENCH DRAINS, DRAINAGE & NEW CONSTRUCTION.