ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC.

Founded 2002 • With Angi since August 2007

201 W BIXBY RD

Long Beach, CA 90807

09/25/2020

Tara Z.

Andy is just after money as soon as We paid him he has disappeared. He is not returning any call and text

Description of Work
Plan for outdoor

Category doors

08/24/2018

John F.

Tried contacting twice. Zero response.

Description of Work
Landscape Planning

03/17/2017

Robert K.

Got the plans and are set to move forward.

Description of Work
Andy provided a very creative landscaping plan with illustration to completely upgrade our property overlooking the golf course. Very knowledgeable and creative designer. Selected unique and colorful plants and trees to accent the colors of our house.

03/14/2017

Stanfield Y.

Andy showed up on time, listened to my preferences and completed a plan on site. The design showed finesse as I asked him to incorporate existing elements.

Description of Work
Front yard and Parkway Design

11/21/2016

steve B.

Andy’s design was exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t have quite enough money to do the entire design, but he helped to create a cozy, beautiful backyard. Andy has extensive experience in landscape design, having worked for both Disney and one of the most well known landscape architects in Pasadena. He’s a really good guy, too.

Description of Work
Andy designed the backyard, shrinking the lawn by putting in a decomposed granite path and flower and tree beds.

10/19/2016

Bob R.

All went as advertised and even better with his ideas and knowledge he is really a go-to for outdoor design and planning. I highly recommend his services. His price may seem a little on the high side but is worth it in the long run.

Description of Work
Andy came out to our place to draft and design our side-yard, his drafting and ideas are absolutely terrific.

08/25/2016

Donna S.

Left 2 emails starting July 23. He hasn't replied. Very disappointing.

Description of Work
I needed an architect to lay out a backyard landscape with a pool, patio and lawn space.

07/05/2016

Cathy B.

He gave me a beautiful sketch. He is very talented, knowledgeable and gifted. He listened to every one of my needs.

Description of Work
Provided sketches for the front and backyard for hard and soft scapes.

12/28/2015

HENRY L.

Andy is a brilliant landscape architect. I waited until the project is done to write this review because I want to see how it turns out. I am glad to say that the results are very gratifying. Even though he is based in Long Beach he is willing to come to Pasadena to look at my place. In fact, he told me he used to work in Pasadena area so he is quite familiar with the area. He is very low key and professional. We talked about what my ideas were for my front and back yard. The front yard is small and is sloping from left to right, so it is very difficult to design. I have always had a hard time irrigating it or make it look good. The back yard is much bigger, but all I need is to expand the patio and some planting ideas. After listening to me, he proceed to measure my front yard. The plan for the front yard is to scale, so I can use it to give it to contractors for bids. The back yard plan is not to scale, since I pretty much just want to expand the patio and he gave me planting suggestions. It took him about an hour and 15 minutes to do the plans. His suggestions for my front yard is innovative and beyond what I can think of myself. If also includes all the planting suggestions and spacing requirements. I was so excited with his ideas that I wanted to implement them right away. A few years back I hired another landscape architect who charged me more and his ideas were so uninspiring that I did not border to spend the money to implement. For the back yard he also gave me some very good planting suggestions. The landscape professionals I have used before were very secretive with their planting suggestions. Andy on the other hand is very generous with his information. I am so thankful to him for his help and talent. His fees are also very reasonable. He does charge for travel time, which I think is perfectly reasonable.

Description of Work
draw up landscape design for front and back yard

08/19/2015

April H.

This review is very hard to write because of a miscommunication between Mr. DeYoung and myself that left me unhappy with his work, but is not completely his fault. I already had plans for our landscaping, but since it is a do-it-yourself project, felt I needed some advice to see if I was on the right track. The whole purpose of our project was to fix the drainage issues that are causing moisture to get into our house. I thought I explained that to him on the phone and that even though all the other reviews talked about the wonderful drawings he did, that that was not what I needed. If I had it to do over again, I would have spent more time with him on the phone and asked if this was in the scope of his work. Mr. DeYoung was very kind to agree to work with us even though we are outside his area and to work for less than his minimum time. He arrived on time. Once we started talking, I got the sense that he was treating this like his other jobs and didn't get that I wanted advice about the drainage issues. He said that my plans sounded fine without offering advice about the drainage. When I asked him point blank for advice about mistakes I might be making or common mistakes, he didn't have anything to add. In his favor, he did have some good ideas about the block wall we are going to build in the back yard. The rest of the time was spent discussing what plants to put where and drawing out our ideas for the front yard. I thought we were done 30 minutes early, only to find out that he charges for travel time, which made it 30 minutes more than we agreed to on the phone. He accepted the agreed amount. To anyone reading this review, if you need a landscape architect, don't let this review stop you. I believe the other reviewers are correct - he is a very kind soul with some helpful ideas about what plants to use, where to put a wall or a patio, and leaves you with a nice sketch.

Description of Work
Landscaping architect: He gave us advice on what plants would go in our yards and ideas for a block wall in the back. He drew out our ideas for the front yard.

08/18/2015

Kirsten B.

Andy is amazing. Totally worth the small cost. Andy came over on time and came to take a look at our back yard (a blank slate we inherited from previous owner), get to know us, and integrate some existing plants we wanted to keep into the plan. He listens to the small details you mention and finds a way to integrate everything in a cohesive plan. Can't wait to implement the plan! I highly recommend Andy.

Description of Work
Landscape plan for back yard

06/13/2015

Dennis D.

I called to set up an appointment for redesigning our backyard. He came to our house at the scheduled time exactly. He is a remarkably kind and gentle person. My wife and I had a general idea of what we wanted, but we were pretty flexible and open to new ideas. After an initial conversation about what we were looking for, he went to the backyard and spent a while back there. Afterwards, he came inside and went over the entire plan with us with drawn out plans. He designed the entire project with a lot of detail, with some great ideas, both big and small, that we never would have though of ourselves. The amount of detail he gave was incredible given the amount of time he spent on it (a total of 3 hours). He even laid out where to put specific plants, landscape lights, etc. He gave input on colors and styles. Looking at the final product, now that it is completed, it looks better than we ever imagined it would. We've gotten a lot of great comments, including one saying how well thought out the project was. A lot of that credit goes to Andy.

Description of Work
Designed our new backyard

Category landscaping, outdoor lighting

05/01/2015

HEIDI S.

Andy showed up on time and was extremely pleasant and professional. We told him our concerns for budget and the elements we wanted, he asked a few questions, and then he went to work. Andy drew up a very creative design that addressed all of our needs in a design we could never have conceived by ourselves. He then drew it to scale and labelled everything. We sent the design to many landscapers and many of them were familiar with Andy DeYoung's work. All indicated that his designs were among the best and they hoped they could be the ones to bring them to life. The bottom line is this: Andy is extremely talented. He does exactly what is expected with a creative flair that is unique. He is easy to work with, likable, and 100% professional. What he delivers is worth much more than what he charges. We would happily recommend him to anyone.

Description of Work
Andy designed two yards and drew up detailed plans ready for bids from Landscapers.

03/08/2015

Carol O.

First, because of the holidays, we played phone tag for 3-4 weeks. He didn't give up on me. Second, my budget was limited, the landscape plans were very old and everything was in disrepair. In 3 hours, Andy had completely planned a total landscape and gave me drawings to scale. Pluses: he really listened to me and my concerns, he worked around what was already there, he never criticized anything we'd done, yet he gave me a completely new up-to-date look that I love. Lastly, when I asked for recommendations for a contractor to do the work, he gave me the contractor we eventually went with and love. I couldn't be happier. Wish I had done this a long time ago. He will be my first call should I ever move.

Description of Work
Planned and drew to scale a complete plan to update 45 year old landscape, including brick patio, new walkway, new patio roof, new driveway and all plantings both front and back yards.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

12/23/2014

SANDRA A.

He came and measured and did a design for us. He did a sketch for us. We did the whole design for the contractor. He designed exactly what I wanted and he did a beautiful design. He is professional and knowledgeable. He was excellent.

Description of Work
He is a landscape architect.

Category hardscaping

11/19/2014

Lloyd G.

Andy was on time, professional and provided me exactly what I was looking for at a fair price. Would highly recommend if you're looking to have landscape or hardscape plans drawn up.

Description of Work
Landscape/Hardscape Plans

Category landscaping, hardscaping

09/02/2014

Keith M.

Andy was on time and very professional. He delivered what he said he would and I was happy with the results.

Description of Work
Andy did a really good job and was very thorough. Although I have a small back year, he delivered a complete set of plans that Imwas able to share with contractors.

02/12/2014

Jody O.

Andy came and spent a few hours in my backyard crafting up a design that brought in the design elements I shared with him. He pulled in a lot of color using a dominant color from a neighbors Bouganvilla that makes the garden pop. He integrated every idea I had and made the entire plan so much better. The design was on a 8x11 paper was detailed and to-scale making it easy for Seth Pompey Landscaping to bring it to life. Cant wait to use him again for the front.

Description of Work
Landscape plan for the backyard

12/22/2013

Thomas M.

It went great. I am delighted with the resulting plan, which I had installed shortly thereafter. I now enjoy my rear yard as an extension of my living space. Andy offers different levels of service and I chose the one that best fit my needs. He came by, spent some time in my back yard, and then provided a detailed plan sketched on graph paper. This was perfect for my needs and, much to my surprise, was very compatible with some vague concepts I had expressed to Andy about the space. The landscaper had no problems following the sketch and installing the concrete pads, gravel, landscaping, lighting, and irrigation.

Description of Work
Provided a landscape plan, including plant specifications, pavers, gravel, water feature, irrigation, and lighting.

10/21/2013

mathazin A.

Very happy with Andy. He is very professional and knows what he is doing. We absolutely love the plans he drew for our property. I only wish that I had contacted him sooner instead of of trying to create the plans myself! I fumbled with layout after layout for months and was never satisfied with anything I had done. Meanwhile my property has been an empty dirt lot. I finally decided enough was enough. After seeing the final plans Andy created I realized that I would've never been able to design anything close. Can't wait to get started on the project!

Description of Work
Andy spent several hours at our house and created landscaping plans for our property. We received a scaled drawing which we can use to obtain quotes from contractors.

08/13/2013

Ted R.

Called Andy out for a landscape plan to show the landscapers. He was pretty booked up but agreed to come out on a Sunday morning because we needed it done quickly. Paid $300 for the consultation and a non-scale drawing to give to landscapers. He has a lot of good ideas, certainly knows his plants and works quickly. We are very happy with the results and would use him again. $300 is dirt cheap (landscape joke) for this type of service. The only recommendation is that he should bring along an Ipad with pictures of the different flowers and plants. A couple of plants sounded good but when we looked up the pics later they weren't quite right. Still, very happy with Andy and highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Draw up a landscape plan

07/18/2013

Bobi K.

I want to get rid of my entire lawn and replace it with drought tolerant plants. I knew some of the elements I wanted, but had no idea for the design. He spent 3 hours on this project and the final result is a detailed plan, drawn to scale on graph paper so a contractor can follow it. Mr. de Young is very knowledgeable about plants and hardscape elements. He suggested wonderful plants and drew in the placement and number I would need. I wanted brick accents and he drew in brick borders along my existing side walk entrance, along the cement driveway, a semi-circular brink sitting wall to frame my large Japanese maple, and a brick walkway from driveway to my front porch. To say I am THRILLED with the final result would be an understatement. This may be the best $300 I've ever spent. It saved me a lot more than that in terms of the mistakes I would have made if I had tried to do this myself. I HIGHLY recommend him! I am going to have the most beautiful yard on my block and that is quite an accomplishment!

Description of Work
Created Detailed Drawing to scale for complete renovation of my front yard: Hardscape and Plants

05/14/2013

Pamela F.

I used Andy for the first time in 2005. I lived in an older part of Santa Ana with homes build in the 1920’s and 1930’s- very eclectic and no two homes looked alike. There was a house that I drove by almost daily that looked picture perfect, almost taken from the pages of a fairy tale book. One day the owner was out front as I drove by so I stopped to tell her what a lovely home she had. I asked her if she had done the landscaping herself and if she had, would she come do my house too. She laughed and told me she had indeed used a professional…Andy De Young. I bought the ugly house on the nice street so I intended on starting over. Andy came to my house, listened to my ideas, and walked the property taking measurements of the house and everything else on the lot. All that I was keeping from the existing hardscape was half of the driveway and one tree. This left Andy with a totally clean slate. He returned a few weeks after our meeting with drawings that were entirely different from what I had imagined. His use of the space, choice of materials, and incorporation of elements found around the neighborhood were incredible! His ideas for my yard were so much better than anything I could have imagined. I followed Andy’s plans and transformed the ugly house on the block into the best looking property by far. In the years I lived there, I watched the young plants and trees fill out and grow up. Everything filled in beautifully and didn’t overgrow or die out. It was truly an amazing transformation. I did everything someone can to do a home; new roof, new plaster, new copper gutters, new walls and fences, new gates, basically a total remodel inside and out. Of all the money I spent on my house, the money spent with Andy was the best spent! Fast forward to February of 2013…I had Andy come take a look at my new house. The front yard was done in the mid 1980’s with lots of brickwork and the backyard had a freshly remodeled pool with earth colored stacked stone. It was two totally different styles that didn’t work together. Andy was able to incorporate elements of the newly done backyard with the older front yard and really give the property an updated feel. Again, his ideas and drawings were amazing and I’m in the process of transforming the house following Andy’s vision. I can’t express what a difference it makes when you have the help of a landscape architect, and Andy is the best!!

Description of Work
Andy provided complete landscaping plans and drawings for me on two separate occasions.

04/15/2013

Jack G.

The yard is looking better and better as Spring rolls on.

Description of Work
Andy provided a landscape plan for redoing a portion of my rear yard.

02/22/2013

Catherine H.

When I called Mr. DeYoung to inquire about his services, he was very professional. He was upfront about his rates and what I could expect from each level of his services. He arrived on time and wasted no time in getting started. He listened to our vague thoughts and worked easily with us to flesh them out. Within a couple of hours, he had produced a workable and understandable landscape plan for our yard. While the plan is not to scale, Mr. DeYoung detailed everything so completely that any landscape company will have no trouble bringing it to fruition. We were very pleased with his design and hope to have the work done very soon. We highly recommend his services.

Description of Work
We contacted Mr. DeYoung to provide a landscape plan for our backyard.

Ace Arbor Care and Landscape

Ace Arbor Care and Landscape, Proudly serving southern California, offering quality work at a fair price, All of our work has a minimum of 3 year warranty. We offer financing, specials are offered every month call and check for current specials.

Left Coast Pavers

HARDSCAPING IS NOT ONLY OUR PASSION, IT IS ALL WE DO. WE PRIDE OURSELVES ON OUR REPUTATION FOR QUALITY AND SERVICE. WE SPECIALIZE IN PAVERS. LEFT COAST PAVERS WAS CREATED TO PROVIDE HIGH QUALITY HARDSCAPE SOLUTIONS THAT CAN BE ENJOYED FOR YEARS, WITH AN EXPERIENCE THAT CAN BE TALKED ABOUT FOR GENERATIONS. We provide free on-site estimates, and our professional service representatives have over 20+ years of hardscape experience and can walk you through every aspect of the process. Only providing hardscape solutions, allows us to focus on build quality and attention to detail, while still being efficient. Resulting in a high build quality at competitive pricing.

2022 Super Service Award

GT Pavers

GT Pavers has a team with over 60 years of combined construction and interlocking Paver experience. When it comes time to choose an expert paver installer, it’s important that you trust your project to an experienced paver company that has the team and expertise to get the job done right. Whether it’s a driveway, walkway, patio, backyard remodel, fire pit, pool decking or other similar projects. GT Pavers has years of know-how experience to handle highly specialized projects. GT Pavers will not only get it done right, but we’ll be more efficient and cost-effective than any competitor. We also offer a best-price guarantee, and we have been providing the highest quality work for Southern California customers for over 10 years.

Landscaping - Lakefront

LANDSCAPE CONTRACTING.

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC.

How is ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. overall rated?

ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. is currently rated 4.8 overall out of 5.

What payment options does ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. provide

ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. accepts the following forms of payment: Check

Does ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. offer free estimates?

No, ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. does not offer free project estimates.

Does ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. offer eco-friendly accreditations?

No, ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. does not offer eco-friendly accreditations.

Does ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. offer a senior discount?

No, ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. does not offer a senior discount.

Are warranties offered by ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC.?

Yes, ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. offers warranties.

What services does ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. offer?

ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. offers the following services: LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURAL SERVICES. INCLUDING: DESIGN, LANDSCAPE OBSERVATION & SITE PLACEMENT.

Are there any services ANDY DEYOUNG, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT, INC. does not offer?

LANDSCAPE CONTRACTING.