Greener Rhythms

Founded 2004 • With Angi since August 2007

4303 maple avenue

La Mesa, CA 91941

Owner-operated. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. No service fee. License number: 894958. May contact through email. Award winning....

10/25/2016

Janet H.

We consider ourselves very lucky to have found Greener Rhythms! We could not have asked for a better first experience in hiring a contractor. Jamie was professional, knowledgeable, punctual (yes, punctual!!! on time for every meeting and every work day. If he was going to be late, he let me know) and patient (this was our first time hiring a contractor,, so we had lots of questions). He and his crew finished our deck in less time than the estimate and for exactly what he quoted us, given that we chose a more complicated build. We love our new deck. We have only positive things to say about Greener Rhythms. We would have given them an A++ in every category above, if that were possible. If you are looking for a contractor, contact Jamie @ Greener Rhythms, first. (My only reservation in posting this review, is that next time I need them, they might be too busy.)

Description of Work
Replaced a second story deck.

Category decks

01/25/2016

Greg L.

James is very professional, punctual and detail oriented. He also stands behind his work. He recently came back to adjust something he had installed several years ago.

Description of Work
James Kerns has worked on a number of home improvement projects for me.

10/20/2015

Tameeko C.

Went great! Completed job in the time estimated, cleaned up after selves, were respectful and did excellent quality work. The painter was so polite and great to work with. Jamie helped me plan the wainscoting. The style I wanted was quite a bit on the pricey side but Jamie had great ideas on how to get the look I wanted without breaking the bank. Very satisfied with the job done and hope to work with Jamie again soon.

Description of Work
Refreshed paint and 2 horizontal stripes (10x11), crown molding and wainscot in nursery

Category handyman service, house painters

Thanks for the business and review [member name removed]! I hope the baby is sleeping soundly in the new room!

08/10/2015

Daniel E.

James Kerns was highly responsive to our needs and once he became available he really did an excellent job in the time allotted. I would not hesitate to call him again for some other project.

Description of Work
Installed a wrap-around deck.

03/21/2015

Sheryl M.

I would absolutely hire Jamie again. Jamie was very responsive and professional. At all times he had a good personality. The project was not simple but he got it done without any fuss. I am an absentee owner and he completed the entire job without any supervision. After the job, I noticed the paint sheen where the closets met the ceiling was a little different, Jamie came back and painted it, again without my being there. Without my asking him, he came back and checked it after he finished, and repainted it again. His bid was not the lowest but the quality of his work and his customer service justified his price.

Description of Work
Provided and installed 2 sets of bifold doors (6' and 5') and one standard door, and door hardware into three existing closet areas. Jamie had to build out the surface of the closets to make the closets deeper, which required some framing and a small amount of drywalling. He also painted.

Category drywall, handyman service, house painters, interior painters, doors

01/15/2015

Penny M.

Everything was good about him. He was professional and gave me a good estimate. It was a fair estimate, but I wasn't able to get the work done then at all, due to financial reasons. I'm considering calling him and asking for an estimate for a smaller deck.

Description of Work
He gave me an estimate for a new wood deck.

Category decks, woodworking

01/01/2015

Susan M.

Service not performed; provider was not available during the time the work needed to be done

Description of Work
needed estimate on dry rot repair

Are you Kidding Me?

12/30/2014

Binh N.

He was punctual, courteous, professional, and friendly. His prices were reasonable as well. He finished on time and I was more than happy with the end result. I have already recommended him to my friends.

Description of Work
Replace rear deck

Category decks, handyman service

Thanks [Member], I hope the deck is being enjoyed by all!

10/20/2014

Leena D.

Very nice job done. Very professional and very satisfied with all the work done.

Description of Work
Carpenter work -and furniture assembly

Category contractors, handyman service, woodworking

Thanks for taking your time to review!

09/10/2014

Tonya T.

Jamie is wonderful with detail work and if you are lucky enough to get him you will not be disappointed. I hope to work with him again. He did a lot of my job at his shop so the installation day was clean and quick. I think he is reasonable on his timeline and price was ok for what I got.

Description of Work
Jamie is fantastic to work with! He built a custom fireplace wall and a finished wood top for a tv console.

Category handyman service, remodeling, woodworking

06/18/2014

Rosalind .

Jamie did great work- beautiful craftsmanship every part of job. Everything done as and when expected. His electrician and his partner who did paint and floor ALS awesome.

Description of Work
Rebuilt redwood pergola and swing in back yard. Built a walk- in closet with sliding barn door, installed lights with new switch, dry wall and paint, repaired floor to transition from bathroom to closet.

Category closet systems, drywall, handyman service, lighting, remodeling, woodworking, interior painters

06/16/2014

Eileen H.

He came to my home on Feb 6th to give me a quote. He was very punctual and seemed knowledgeable in his field. I was looking forward to using this company, but due to unresponsiveness this service never happened.

Description of Work
They were to put up a new door.

Category handyman service

Hello [member name removed], Just reading this for the first time (7 months later/I am not always notified when a new review is posted) I tried contacting you via email regarding your door install and never received a reply. I assumed you hired someone else.. Sorry it worked out this way, I cant afford to spend the time on measuring and furnishing quotes without following up. I am sure this is not the last time that my dependence on technology for communication will fall short. My sincere apologies!

05/28/2014

Penny H.

He had to demo some existing shelving, put up and tape dry wall, put together cabinets, mount cabinets to the wall, put a skip coat on the dry wall. I also agreed to have him donate old free-standing cabinetry that was being removed. I thought he did a very good job. I was pleased with the work. However, I did have two complaints. The control box for my sprinkler system had to be removed and then replace after the drywall. It was not wired correctly. I did have to have someone I've used for sprinkler repair figure out the problem and fix the wiring. The second item concerns large pieces of wood that had been stored in my garage. I agreed to pay him to cut them up so I could put them in my wood-burning stove. Most of it was given to a school garden project, one piece was taken by his worker. I did receive about 10-12 pieces of cut up wood. I gave him a B in Professionalism. I think his work was very professional. However, it was not professional to take the wood that should have been cut up and left for me.

Description of Work
Some demo in garage. Construct prefab storage cabinets. Dry wall. Mount storage cabinets.

Category custom cabinets, drywall, handyman service

05/08/2014

Sarah A.

I called Jamie today and as his business is close to my home he was able to come by today. He came prepared to do the work and completed the relocation of the strike plates and door trimming in a timely manner. He was knowledgeable and polite. I have asked him for a bid on additional work as I was pleased with this job!

Description of Work
Jamie repaired four interior doors that did not properly close. He also trimmed one door which was too long and hanging up on the carpet.

Category woodworking, doors

04/09/2014

Kelly W.

Jamie was easy to communicate with about the job, was flexible about when he could complete the work, was punctual, very pleasant and professional, and did an excellent job. If I hadn't known the mantel was damaged before installation, I wouldn't be able to tell now. Original finishing nails were removed, splintered wood repaired, and the shelf nailed to the corbels again. A cleat was anchored securely through travertine tiles and the mantel shelf securely attached. Everything was cleaned well after the job was concluded.

Description of Work
Repaired a custom fireplace mantel shelf badly damaged during shipping and installed it over fireplace.

Category handyman service, woodworking

02/11/2014

bridget M.

He was very professional, gave great advice, and would definitely recommend him.

Description of Work
He gave advice on how to remodel a deck.

Category decks

02/02/2014

Susan K.

Jamie was knowledgeable, professional, and easy to work with. He actually saved me some money by pointing out that some additional work I wanted him to do on damaged exterior trim would be done more efficiently by the painting company I was going to hire to paint the exterior. He showed up on time to do the work. He and his helper were quiet and considerate. The work they did is high quality and looks terrific. I gave him a B for responsiveness because sometimes it was a little difficult to reach him, but given that much of our communication was over the Christmas holiday, that is really a minor caveat.

Description of Work
He installed a set of shower doors that I ordered at Home Depot and he picked up. He also replaced a rotted back door and trimmed and painted it, and replaced termite-damaged oak thresholds on two exterior doors.

Category handyman service, interior painters, doors

Thanks for taking time to post your feedback. Sorry about the lag in response time over holiday! Jamie

01/15/2014

Judy T.

The business owner of Greener Rhythms, Jamie, performs both the job estimate as well as the work. So you can know when he comes to give an estimate and discusses how to approach the work that you're talking with the same person who'll be performing it. For this job he also brought a helper, Stew, and they were both comfortable to have around the house for the week of the work. The house and garage were vacuumed and left tidy at the end of each day. We are very pleased with the results, and everything came out looking the way we had envisioned. The quality of the work is excellent. The cost of the service (above) included the price of the new doors and the paint, and we chose to go select and buy our own new door knobs---so we could choose to go high end or not for that. We highly recommend Greener Rhythms, and we would definitely hire this company again when it's time for more projects.

Description of Work
Removed 12 old & ugly doors. 11 doors were interior, and 1 was exterior. 9 new, paneled, solid-core doors were hung, nicely painted, and fitted in place with the new hardware. 3 openings where doors had been were refinished into door-free passageways. The old doors were taken off the property for recycling as part of the job.

Category handyman service, doors

Thanks [member name removed]! I appreciate your feedback and am glad you are appreciating the new doors!

09/20/2013

Julie C.

Everything is absolutely perfect. They showed up right on time. Jamie and his helper were amazingly soft spoken throughout the 7-hour day and the work they did is beautiful. In addition, they were very environmentally conscious and careful. when i offered my vacuum cleaner to help clean up he initial mess, he refused, saying that the drywall dust could harm the machine. He then proceeded to lean it up by hand and did a terrific job. We are thrilled and will absolutely use them Greener Rhythms again.

Description of Work
We needed new hall closet doors and wanted interior French doors with frosted glass. Jamie took perfect measurements, ordered the doors and installed them. He and his helper had to do framing and some retrofitting before the doors were hung. He also regrouted some Saltillo tiles at the foot of the stairs and put up a ceiling-mounted curtain rod in the upstairs bedroom.

Category contractors, drywall, handyman service, woodworking, doors

Hi, Just wanted to say thanks for your feed back! I think the doors do a great job of sprucing up your hall and am thrilled you like them too. Tell your husband thanks as well and give the dogs a good belly rub.

08/13/2013

L G.

He said he was sorry, but the bottom line is that he didn't show up, and I didn't get what I needed done. He did the door, and that was satisfactory. I did communicate with him via email, and phone, and he had good reasons, as to why he didn't make it, and he made appointments, which took up my time. I would choose not to use him again, due to the lack of response.

Description of Work
We used Greener Rhythms. He did work here at one point, and he installed the front door, and I was trying to get him to come back and do some more work, but he did not show up for a couple of appointmemts.

Category doors

07/21/2013

Shelly R.

Jamie is great!! We just moved into a new build home and I knew I wanted wainscoting in a few of the rooms and a built-in cabinetry for a large tv area. I got a few different quotes and Jamie offered the best price. The finished product looks beautiful. He has great attention to detail, is always punctual and professional~truly great at his craft. I have given his name to a few different friends who like the work they have seen from him. We already have a few new projects in the pipeline- modifying a piece of furniture to accommodate a speaker box, and eventually crown molding (his quote was very reasonable).

Description of Work
Wainscoting in a large loft area, chair rail in child's bedroom and built-in media center

Category custom cabinets, handyman service, woodworking

Thanks for taking the time to post feedback! Look forward to helping you all out in the future!

07/19/2013

MELISSA C.

I was happy with Greener Rhythms. They were outgoing and easy to work with. It turned out looking great. It's somewhat simple but they did a good job.

Description of Work
Greener Rhythms did my cabinet door that needed to be redone or restructured.

Category woodworking, cabinet refacing

07/09/2013

STEVEN H.

They were excellent and extremely reasonable. They had a good idea about how to do things right from the beginning till the end. The job that they did looks beautiful. I had no problems with the concerned person who came out to perform the work. He arrived on time and did the work as fast as he could. I have received a lot of compliments about how his work looks.

Description of Work
I used Greener Rhythms for wood working. They built a deck and also a shed that would hold wood for my fire place.

Category decks, garage builders, woodworking

Thanks, I wish all my jobs were as fun as it was building your walk ways, stairs and deck!

07/07/2013

Marco T.

wonderfully. Jamie was thorough in his planning, punctual and completed the job under budget. We were very happy and would definitely use Greener Rhythms again.

Description of Work
He & his partner built a double door closet, and an indoor bench next to our bay window.

Category closet systems, handyman service, woodworking

Thanks (deleted member name)! Both your wife and yourself were a pleasure to work for. See you when your hardware arrives.

07/04/2013

PATRIZIA S.

Jamie is more than a handyman, he is truly a creative artist. He solved the problem of trying to match a veneered hutch and measured accurately for the location of where to hang them, with my licenses and white board. I have hired Jamie previously to take off a rotted floor from a metal shed, and by himself he figured out how to lift the large shed, and replaced the floor perfectly. Jamie is truly a pleasure to work with. The reason for the B grade on responsiveness is because he is very busy and finds it hard to get back to his many customers. All in all he is an A+ guy.

Description of Work
Jamie build two book shelves that perfectly matched my office Cherry Hutch and Desk from Busch Furniture and hung them along with six large frames, a white board, and a delicate decorative ceramic sconce in my new office.

Category handyman service, woodworking