Dandy Landscape Construction

Founded 2000 • With Angi since April 2009

1835 S Centre City Pkwy Ste A

Escondido, CA 92025

We are a design and build landscape construction company specializing in hardscape and landscape construction. Our employees specialize in all types of hardscape from block walls and fences to outdoor kitchens, patio covers and water features. Featuring water conservation techniques with water wise irrigation systems including specific landscape plantings that thrive in the San Diego climate. We will construct your landscape project from our creative company designs while including your vision and ideas in the final product. Dandy Landscape Construction is a local, friendly, easy to work with landscape company. Please check out some of our completed designs at 2minutegardener.blogspot.com May contact through email or phone # 858-429-8329. Special Seasonal Offers Available. Additional services: We also provide water wise irrigation systems,drainage & Low Voltage Lighting. All botanical options available, with special expertise in native and drought tolerant plants, trees and shrubs....

10/31/2014

Catherine H.

Tom Dandy was great to work with. They followed our plans, and the work turned out the way we wanted. Tom and his team were courteous and accommodated our time frame. He made my spouse happy, who is on the picky side. We've gotten compliments on our yard. His price was reasonable, and he was fair about charging for necessary changes. I'd definitely work with him again.

Description of Work
Remodeled both front and back yards with new hardscape, masonry, planting, irrigation, and drainage.

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, masonry, hardscaping

10/31/2014

ralph P.

I've had a lot of experience with contractors -- and, for my interior remodel, oversaw 9 tradesmen at one time. When it came to remodeling the exterior, though, I decided to go with a general contractor and am very glad that I did. Dandy Construction is the best I have ever used. His pricing is reasonable, and he delivered a great result. Tom Dandy is responsive and returns texts and phone calls quickly. He sends capable workers who are well-trained to treat his clients well. Their craftsmanship is excellent. Tom's team worked well with the one other tradesman whom I had hired to put up an aluminum patio cover. On the occasion there was an ambiguity in the plans, Tom worked out a fair resolution with me, displaying integrity and a genuine desire to please his customers. In fact, he performed some extra pipe work that was not on the plans because it was necessary to resolve a preexisting gas leak -- without charging me extra. When inevitable modifications to the plans became necessary to accommodate unforeseen problems, Tom proposed fair prices for extra work (and did not impose a premium because I had already hired him.) To me, it's important that a contractor not only deliver what is promised in the contract but also treat me fairly when the unpredictable happens. Tom Dandy did just that. Plus, he and his wife and crew are just nice people all around. We are very happy with how our exterior turned out, and neighbors have been asking us for his contact information. I'd definitely use him again and would recommend him highly.

Description of Work
Dandy Landscape Construction remodeled my entire front and back yards: demolition of existing hardscape and softscape; grading; replaced hardscape with new concrete with pebble banding design; irrigation and drain lines; fencing for dog run; in-ground fire pit; flagstone "zen corner" patio with bench; stone veneer for BBQ, post, and bench; and new planting in front and back yards.

Category concrete repair, excavators, fencing, landscaping, irrigation systems, masonry, stucco, hardscaping, patios

09/18/2014

John S.

The job turned out awesome, more attractive, little to no water needed and less maintenance. Tom's crew completed a large job in 4-5 days completely redoing the landscaping he had installed 10-15 years ago. I could not be happier with service, price and quality of the project!

Description of Work
Replaced rear landscaping softscaping with hardscaping, flagstone and decomposed granite.

Category landscaping, masonry, hardscaping

09/16/2014

Cheryl R.

No effort to respond with an offer.

Description of Work
The provider waited 3 days to tell me they were not servicing our area (Fallbrook, CA) although it is clearly indicated on the map.

Category landscaping

Sorry for the inconvenience. Angie's List mistakenly indicated that we provide service in Fallbrook although we do not provide service north of Escondido. Angie's List corrected the error today.

08/26/2014

Aracelia L.

This was my first time using Dandy Landscape and I couldn't be happier. Our backyard was a complete mess. We had an old, out of date, backyard pool and patio. Tom and his crew transformed our yard into something I could have never imagined. My children refused to get into the pool before, and now we can't get them out. The fire pit is a real plus and we don't rush in the house after swimming. We spend most of our time in our newly transformed backyard, which is where I always wanted to spend quality time with my family. I have recommended them to all of my friends and will use them on my next project.

Description of Work
Backyard remodel: Concrete pool decking, wooden patio cover, fire pit, and planting.

Category decks, landscaping, hardscaping, patios, outdoor kitchens

06/11/2014

Rory L.

Work was completed on time and to my expectations.

Description of Work
They installed underground sprinklers, new sod and concrete mow curb along perimeter of the yard

Category landscaping, irrigation systems

01/13/2014

Yonatan D.

Tom and the team at Dandy Landscaping have been maintaining and improving my landscaping for nearly half a year now and I just couldn't be more satisfied. We were searching for an environmentally-friendly landscaper with modern approaches, and Tom has come through on all levels. Not long ago we decided to redo our backyard landscaping, and Dandy's prices were reasonable and his suggestions were incredibly wise, from helping us plan the our desired aesthetic look to providing us with ideas for the kinds of chips, rock, plants and other elements we needed. He even helped us rebuild and repaint our railing! All this while keeping our yard the prettiest on the street. It?s also convenient that you can pay via internet, and whenever I have concerns or require additional work, its easy to get to Tom and get things into action. I couldn't recommend Dandy Landscaping more.

Description of Work
landscaping services

01/09/2014

Carl B.

Tom and his staff are great to work with. He is responsive, professional and knowledgeable. His crew made sure the work area was cleaned every night and all tools were put away , they even swept the sidewalk. When we had questions Tom always got back to us even after the project was completed. I am completely satisfied with their work and would highly Tom and his company for any landscape project.

Description of Work
Redesigned our front yard, walkway and entrance.

08/19/2013

William R.

They were on time. They paid attention to detail. They were just very conscientious.

Description of Work
I used the landscaping services of Dandy Landscape Construction.

06/30/2013

Benita S.

Tom was very responsive from the beginning, he would immediately reach out when I had questions. As the job progressed and the landscape gave us some curve balls, both Tom and his team had solutions and worked with me to make sure that changes were to my liking. His workers cleaned up everyday and extremely skilled and considerate. If I ever have landscaping needs I would use him again and recommend him to friends and family.

Description of Work
We had our small back patio updated to allow for more entertainment. We wanted to make our slope that was unused, rocky and difficult to maintain into an area that was assailable and visually pleasing. Dandy Landscape assisted in finding designer to help us attain our vision. We added Trex style steps and DG pathway and upper seating area on a previously unused slope, added fantastic lighting throughout with lanterns that hang over upper seating area. On the lower patio we replaced fencing, added an amazing natural gas fire table, completely changed the patio look to a much more elegant style by tiling travertine over our existing concrete patio. A beautiful fountain was also added on the slope with Talavara tile base built by Tom’s team. Irrigation was changed to a drip system that is unseen and more efficient. Even my potted plants are watered automatically! Of course there were all new plantings on slope and patio that have made the perfect final touch.

Category fencing, landscaping, lawn service, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios, outdoor kitchens

05/20/2013

Nicholas T.

This is my second go-round with Tom and crew and I am as happy as I was before. Tom does a great job of working to build what you want within a budget you can work with. His crews work hard, are polite, and get the job done right; I know most of them by name now. One of the most impressive things about Tom as a contractor is his willingness to work with you during the project and to adapt to changes as they arise. With any project this large, you are going to have to make changes and think on your feet as the plan becomes reality. More importantly, Tom always did the right thing, so to speak. There were occasions where Tom could have rightfully asked for more money to do something a different way because it deviated from the contract, but he never did. And when change orders did require additional money, Tom was always fair in his quotes. I think the point is that Tom understands the value of a relationship and places that above the value of the next buck. In the end I have a backyard that is transformed completely from an eye-sore to a place where I spend as much time as possible. I couldn't be more pleased.

Description of Work
Remodel of the backyard, including new patio cover, pavers, artificial turf and built-in BBQ.

Category landscaping, hardscaping, outdoor kitchens

04/04/2013

Valerie E.

Tom Dandy was very prompt in preparing a proposal for us. Once we agreed on the details, work started in a matter of days. This was a big job in that a lot of old concrete had to be demolished. In addition, there were several cut aways for an air conditioning unit and gas meter. The demo job went smoothly. Then the paver crew came the next day to prep the area for the pavers. On the third day, the pavers had been placed and sealed. Tom and his crew matched the paver color and pattern perfectly. It was a successful no worry project.

Description of Work
This was our third time using Dandy Landscape. The company had done a very large job for us a year ago. We decided we liked the look of pavers so much in our backyard that we wanted to do our side yard and a small walkway as well.

Category hardscaping

03/21/2013

Kathleen N.

Excellent!!! We have hired many contractors over the years to work on many different types of home improvement projects (including 5 different landscape construction companies), especially since moving into a newly built (and un-landscaped) house 4 years ago. Our best experience with a contractor has been with Dandy Landscape Construction BY FAR! Working with Tom Dandy and his crew on this project was so headache free, and went so well, that it was actually fun! My husband and I felt so well taken care of by Tom! He knows what he's doing, and he cares deeply about the quality and longevity of his work. His crew was skilled, professional and friendly too. Tom truly wants to make sure his customers are happy with the results! How refreshing!!! All this at a very reasonable price too! We are already planning our next landscape construction project because we are so happy with Tom's work that we want him to handle the next job for us! Thanks Tom!

Description of Work
Dandy Landscape Construction built 6-ft masonry walls, with a stucco finish (that matched our house), on either side of our house and then installed self-closing, Sedera, cedar garden gate doors (including the hardware) on each of the walls. They also installed a small section of paver walkway on one side of the house and flagstone walkway on the other side of the house. And they added a small section of wood fencing to close a gap between one of the walls and our backyard fence.

Category fencing, landscaping, masonry, stucco, hardscaping, driveway gates

03/18/2013

Glenn K.

left voice mail for Tom Dandy, he called right back. This sets the tone for the entire project. Tom returned my calls on time, called to check on our satisfaction with the project, dropped by frequently to discuss the project. He was on time for our initial appointment and every meeting thereafter. His employees were polite, considerate, hard working and were always on time as well. I got attached to all of them, sad that they were not coming back today! Tom is extremely easy to work with. He put me at ease immediately. Tom answered all of my questions and made good suggestions. He knew exactly we wanted, and that is exactly what we got! The project was completed in less than the 2 weeks quoted. We are the envy of the block! Tom has restored my faith in contractors. He will be the only landscape contractor we will EVER use or recommend We feel blessed to have "discovered" Tom Dandy Landscape!

Description of Work
Cleared out front and side yard of bricks, rocks, vegetation and one awful Yucca tree with enormous roots. Dug footings for both yards one (12"x10'6"x5'6") ; the other (18"x23'6x3'). Both were fitted for drainage, built with pavers and stucco to match existing planter. Poured concrete to fill in walkway.

Category concrete repair, landscaping, tree service, stucco, hardscaping

02/19/2013

Valerie E.

This was my second experience in two years with Dandy Construction. The work went smoothly, on time and within budget.

Description of Work
We had a drainage problem at a rental house in Vista. The side yard sloped and drained into the garage. Our tenant had the garage full of stuff, so we needed to take care of this right away, before the rainy season. Dandy Construction came in, estimated and repaired within one week. The job required putting in drains, cutting out to the street and adding curbing along the side yard. The job was done well and the tenant has not had any drainage problems into the garage. We are all satisfied with the job.

12/03/2012

Martin N.

Tom was an outstanding contractor. His team worked diligently for 2+ months. They were flexible, incorporating needs as the project evolved. We did a TON of work. Demo: removed patio, 14 trees, and existing greenery. Fence work: repaired and refinished fences around entire perimeter. Hardscape: built large new stone patio and sitting wall in back, extended front steps and built new stone walkway in front. All new greenery (trees, plants, sod). Redid drainage including large collection drains. New irrigation. New lighting including two transformers. Driveway stain. Everything was done professionally.

Description of Work
Completely redid our landscaping: patio, front walk, plantings, drainage, lighting

Category fencing, landscaping, irrigation systems, tree service, drain pipe, hardscaping, outdoor lighting, patios

10/30/2012

Michael B.

Our experience with this company was great. Owner Tom Dandy proved to be an honest and sincere businessman, who listened to our concerns, and responded accordingly. Phone calls were always returned promptly, and Tom made site visits as often as needed, and whenever requested. Tom's employees were punctual, polite, professional, and extremely hardworking. The team was willing to make needed changes as the project progressed. The project took longer than anticipated, mainly due to the complexity of the water feature, but the results were well worth the wait. Everyone who sees our new yard is amazed and impressed.

Description of Work
We purchased a backyard design from an independent landscape architect, and obtained 3 bids. Dandy Construction's bid was competitive, but we mainly chose this company based on the owner's demeanor and apparent integrity. Work completed: -Complete relandscaping of backyard, including: -Demolish & remove old concrete patio, overhead structure, old decking and spa. -Install 1600 sq. feet of keystone pavers. - 25 ft. waterfall design and install, on steep slope. -Install retaining walls as needed. -Design & install decomposed granite staircase (35steps) on steep slope. -Install 400 sq. ft. tif green sod, incl. scraping & removal of native soil. -Install irrigation system. -Install 115 ft. cedar fence with 2 gates. -Plantings, per design we provided. The only part of our project that was not done by Dandy was a new aluminum patio structure.

Category fencing, landscaping, irrigation systems, hardscaping, driveway gates

10/29/2012

Lysa W.

Tom Dandy met with us to discuss the project. He was thorough in his assessment and was the only bidder to propose a french drain at the base of the retaining wall, a feature that we felt was important. His bid was not the lowest but it was quite competitive and we felt confident that his group offered the best quaility at reasonable cost. After discussing several options with Tom, we upgraded the wall specification from plain, concrete block to a more decorative block (Country Manor from RCP). Tom adjusted his proposal accordingly and again we felt comfortable with the cost of the revised project. He also made some great recommendations for the steps at the end of the wall. We signed off on the proposal and his two-man crew began work within a few days. The workers were skilled and worked tirelessly. They showed up on time and performed their tasks professionally. Nothing seemed to daunt them, not even the numerous (and massive!) rocks they encountered in excavating the footer for the wall. Not only did they complete a beautiful retaining wall on-time and on-budget, they also designed a great looking stairway that far exceeded our expectations. We are very pleased with the results. We look forward to working with Dandy Landscape in the future for additional projects involving patio covers and outdoor lighting. In brief, we found Tom Dandy and his company to be competent professionals who produced excellent results. Tom is very easy to work with and we recommend him highly.

Description of Work
Our 50' retaining wall was deteriorating badly. We wanted something more substantial than the pressure treated wood wall that I worried wouldn't make it through another rainy season. We solicited several bids for building a concrete block wall about 3' high and 50' long. We also asked for a few steps to be constructed at one end of the wall. The contractor was to be responsible for all demolition, construction, and clean up.

Category fencing, hardscaping

10/19/2012

Valerie A.

Our project began in the Fall of 2011. Due to the drainage issues, the first part of the job was grading the back yard. With only a few days of no work due to rain, Tom and his crew worked non-stop. First, the yard was graded. This involved heavy equipment and was done on time. Then the old concrete had to be removed to put down the pavers. The paver pattern is like a repeting puzzle. The paver guys were fast and amazing. Then he measured out and built the stairs down the slope. Due to the steepness of the slope, he had to build double the stairs that the landscape architect had laid out. Tom was fair about pricing out the cost for the additional work. Soon, we had our new trees, bushes and plants laid out and put in place. A new irrigation was set up with drip for the plants and sprinkers for the grass. The final step was new sod. The sod Tom Dandy chose was so beautiful that all our neighbors thought it was artificial turf. Tom's crew also built new fences to replace our shabby ones. Tom was always on the job. His crew were professionals. They cleaned up every day and arrived when they said they were going to. We even hired some of his landscapers to continue as our gardeners. After almost one year, everything still looks beautiful. We were very happy that we chose Tom Dandy Landscape. We have no hesitation in recommending him and have hired him for work on a rental house we own. What is an added bonus is that Tom can do both landscaping and construction. For the big job we had, it made a difference. Our project was completed on time as well.

Description of Work
We had a very large landscaping job. It required a complete renovation of a front yard, two side yards, a back patio and back yard and a very large down sloping hill. In addition to landscaping, we had pavers in the front and back, stairs built into the slope, a stone wall and a raised vegetable garden. We also had a drainage problem and our grass was all weeds. Tom Dandy and his crew came in as the lowest bidder. We checked his references and were pleased with the quality of the work and the repore he had with his past customers.

Category fencing, landscaping, irrigation systems, hardscaping

05/29/2012

Brad K.

Overall, happy with result. Tom was professional and responsive. Throughout the whole process any questions and issues were dealt with immediately and smoothly. Quality materials, and the right sod turf were used to suit our families needs to ensure that we will enjoy our improved yard for years to come.

Description of Work
Landscape Construction performed services in 3 stages over a month. Stage 1 involved tree removal, and scraping and grading of approx 10,000 sqft of backyard to create proper drainage flow. Ground was also roto-tilled, and top soil spread to prep new sod installation. Stage 2 was brand new irrigation system installation, and along with installation of underground drainage system complete with downspout attachments, terminating into new gravel underground dispersion pit. Stage 3 was a small concrete patio pour, sod installation (Tifway 419 bermuda hybrid) and new perimeter fencing (6ft cedar planks with postmaster steel posts).

Category concrete repair, excavators, fencing, landscaping, irrigation systems, tree service, patios

05/17/2012

Nicholas T.

This is my second/third go-round with Tom @ Dandy Landscape Construction and I am no less pleased than the first time. Originally Tom built me a new retaining wall (approximately 80' x 3') and a fence on top of that wall with a return gate. Subsequently, Tom has completed two more projects for me. First, Tom pulled up my driveway, sidewalk, and part of my sideyard and laid down beautiful brick pavers. The outcome is dramatic, and I can finally say the front of my house is complete. It's great when you have neighbors stop by just to say how much they like what you are doing with the place. Much like the first time we worked together, Tom was constantly on-site managing his excellent work crew, and he was very responsive to my ... let's call them frequent inquiries. The work was completed timely, professionally, and on-budget. Speaking of budget, Tom worked with me to stick within my budget and offered creative solutions to get what I wanted accomplished without me winding up in debtors prison. And where I couldn't afford to do everything at once, Tom finished the job in such a way as to allow it to be easily picked up and finished later. Most recently, Tom built me another fence on my other property line. As with the first fence, the quality and workmanship was top-rate, and Tom did an excellent job of dealing with the unique interests of each neighbor that shared the fence. It's always a pleasure to do work with someone who not only does a good job, but seems generally interested in the success of your project. I would probably keep Tom constantly employed if I could just win the MegaMillions. Until then...

Description of Work
1. Built brick paver driveway, sidewalk and side-yard 2. Added drainage pipes 3. Added drip line watering system 4. Built new property line fence 5. Added gas line for BBQ / hot tub

Category fencing, irrigation systems, drain pipe, hardscaping

04/01/2012

Brad L.

My experience with Tom and his team was fantastic. They always showed up on time, did what they said they were going to do and were very professional. Tom completed the project on budget and ahead of schedule. Tom was also open modifications in the plan as we progressed and worked in those changes in the same time frame. Really a fantastic experience.

Description of Work
Tom and his team graded, leveled, and installed irrigation and sod for a 5000 sq ft soccer playing surface

02/16/2012

Nicholas T.

I got several bids from Angie's List for the work I was going to have done. Dandy Landscape Construction was the most price competitive for the whole project. From start to finish Tom (owner) was in constant contact with me about the status of the project and about any decisions I needed to make along the way. The quality of work he and his crew have done is fantastic; I couldn't be happier. What really matters is the attention to detail--like making sure lines are absolutely straight, or colors match those existing at the property. Further, when he built the fence he used screws instead of nails, which even though subtle, shows a commitment to quality. He also stuck to the contract price, despite a few odds and ends cropping up along the way. I was so pleased with his work, that I immediately rehired him to do a bunch of follow-on work around my property. I assume that I will end up using Dandy Landscape Construction for a ton of work as I upgrade the area around my house.

Description of Work
Hired to remove an old retaining wall, remove a substantial amount of dirt, build a new block retaining wall, and build a fence on top of the retaining wall. Subsequently, I have rehired him to tear up driveway and lay down new brick pavers and other associated work. He also removed a tree for me.

Category excavators, fencing, hauling services, landscaping, tree service, hardscaping

11/30/2011

Damien S.

We worked with Dandy Construction to design and rebuild our backyard. The previous owner of our house had constructed a concrete deck with a paver top that was falling apart. The retaining wall surrounding the deck was also falling apart. There was a half-finished concrete fountain with exposed electrical wiring. The whole backyard was a complete mess and we rarely even used it for the first year in our home. Tom Dandy and his crew completely renovated our backyard and turned it from a seldom used area of our home to one of the most frequently used areas. We now spend several evenings each week having dinner and wine sitting next to our firepit. Tom was very responsive throughout the process and always provided helpful ideas for the overall design. I would highly recommend working with Tom to anyone looking for landscaping services.

Description of Work
We had a concrete deck excavated and replaced with sod and sprinklers A retaining wall and fountain were removed and replaced with a new retaining well A firepit was installed Pavers were replaced and leveled A fence gate was reset

Category excavators, hauling services, landscaping, irrigation systems, hardscaping

11/26/2011

Stephen G.

The company owner, Tom Dandy, returned all of my phone calls promptly throughout the entire process, including the first call after I found his name on Angie's List. Tom referred me to a landscape designer with whom he works and I engaged the designer separately from Dandy Landscape. I paid the designer a fee of $900 and Dandy Landscape later refunded $800 of the design fee when I placed the construction contract with Dandy Landscape. With the design in-hand, Tom Dandy visited my home, reviewed the design, and prepared a cost estimate and detailed breakdown within 10 days of the meeting. We negotiated the cost estimate including removing some of the more costly elements of the design. With some proposal revisions and a couple of sundry discounts including an Angie's List coupon, Tom rendered a proposal exactly at my cost threshold of $30K for the project. The proposal included an agreed-upon schedule of progress payments that amounted to about 1/6 of the contract cost due on signing, a progress payment of about 1/6 of the contract each of the next four weeks, and a final payment upon satisfactory contract completion. The only unanticipated cost I incurred during contract performance was a nominal cost of $95 per cubic yard of dirt that Dandy Landscape removed from my yard and took to a fill. Tom warned me of the cost in advance and explained that it would be unpredictable based on the characteristics of my yard; he estimated about 4 to 6 cubic yards of dirt removal and the actual amount of was 6 yards. This cost was reasonable and Tom warned me about it far advance. Other than this cost, Tom and his crew worked diligently to avoid cost increases and often took small steps or minor workarounds from the hardscape design in order to avoid cost overruns. I was highly impressed with Mr. Dandy's candidness and honesty in this regard. Dandy Landscape's crew worked diligently on my yard 6 days a week for 6 weeks to complete the job from start-to-finish. The workers were punctual, arrived at reasonable hours of the morning, were reasonably quiet given the work required (included jackhammering and a cement mixer), and left the yard clean and accessible at the end of each day. I was highly impressed with the efficiency of the primary work crew. Also, Dandy Landscape utilized several subcontracted labor efforts and pieces of equipment (e.g. small bulldozer, cement mixer, etc.) and all appeared to delivered in a timely, efficient manner. Dandy Landscape clearly demonstrated that is has a dedicated and efficient work crew and sound subcontract network. This gave me a solid sense of assurance that my job would be done well and in a timely, professional manner. After five weeks of demolition, conditioning of my yard to prepare for hardscape, and installation of concrete and stone masonry, Dandy Landscape's crew finalized the irrigation system and planted over 250 plants, shrubs, and trees in my yard. The result was stunning. During construction my neighbors were stopping Tom to compliment him on the work, and since completion many of my neighbors have gone out of their way to compliment my new yard. Overall I was very pleased to have obtained a beautiful hardscape exactly within my desired cost threshold for the job, and Dandy Landscape definitely delivered complete "customer satisfaction" as the construction contractor. I'd recommend Dandy Landscape to any homeowner seeking a contractor for a comprehensive landscape upgrade.

Description of Work
Dandy Landscape hauled-away several pieces of old furniture and a swing set from my yard, demolished the entire yard including two large tree removals, and built a new hardscape based on a professional design. The new hardscape included concrete masonry, stone masonry, a retaining wall, irrigation, grass, plants, trees, and mulch.

Category hauling services, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, hardscaping