C & H Gardens Artistic Landscape & Tree Service

Founded 1978 • With Angi since June 2006

12 Time Super Service Award Winner! C & H Gardens has been providing residential and commercial property landscape and arboricultural services since 1978. We specialize in creating tranquil, practical and functional outdoor living spaces. Whether you enjoy entertaining, recreation or relaxation we can bring Beauty and Tranquility to your world....

Del Mar

+22 more images

4.3

lawn & landscaping (94)tree service (49)irrigation system (35)hardscaping (23)lawn care (19)concrete repair (18)mulch delivering (17)hauling (12)landscape lighting (11)excavating (11)stone & gravel (10)architect (8)

09/10/2021

Julie G.

Excellent! We extended 2 areas on each side of our pool to make it more usable for lounge chairs on one side and a table with 6 chairs on the other. I can highly recommend Kent Horner and his company for many reasons. They started the work quickly, showed up daily and on time until it was completed, had a large crew and fixed any issues that we had due to moving sprinklers and lights. Kent used a large excavator to level the areas himself over 3 days. When this part was done, the crew took away the grass and dirt and disposed it, prepped the areas and put in the retaining walls, pavers and drains. I really appreciated that Kent showed up every day to check on the progress and address any concerns. He said the job was priced a bit low because there was so much compacted hard soil. He didn’t try to up the price, he did the work for the price he quoted. Thank you so much Kent and CH Gardens for the wonderful job! It’s awesome!

Description of Work
Paving areas in the backyard

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/09/2021

Review for C & H Gardens Artistic Landscape & Tree Service - 1244 Berryman Cyn, Encinitas, CA - 39469774

06/03/2021

Suzanne S.

Easy to work with and did a wonderful job

Description of Work
complete front yard landscape

Category landscaping

Work Completed On 05/15/2021

[Member Name Removed] is the kind of client you hope for. She paid on time and let us do our work! What a great person. Glad to make her happy!

08/27/2020

Phillip B.

I couldn't be more pleased. He was the only person that gave us a written quote and performed the job beyond what was expected. In fact we actually negotiated a slightly lower price that his initial quote, but because his crew went the extra mile and did things that were not on the quote we paid him the original quoted price. I highly recommend him.

Description of Work
Landscaped the backyard hill side, which has fruit trees.

Category lawn treatment, architect, outdoor lighting

Work Completed On 08/07/2020

07/28/2020

Kent M.

Our front landscape was in desperate need of makeover landscaping. C&H Gardens has trimmed and removed many very large trees for me, over the last 6 years. It was an easy decision to choose Kent and C&H to do our landscaping project. Design was agreed upon and work began in mid-May 2020 and completed as designed in 3 weeks, on time and at cost projection. The professional work crew and design elements that added great visual quality to the street view was more than we expected. Our family and friends agree the work and view was fantastic. We will have an easy choice on our next project for the back yard...C&H is our contractor. Thanks Kent Horner, job well done.

Description of Work
Front yard landscape makeover

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, excavators, landscaping, pavers, gravel, drain pipe, architect, hardscaping

Work Completed On 05/29/2020

Review for C & H Gardens Artistic Landscape & Tree Service - 1244 Berryman Cyn, Encinitas, CA - 38752375

04/26/2020

Maggie F.

TOTAL DISASTER We hired Kent (C&H Gardens owner) to do our backyard makeover. We showed him pictures of garden ideas we would like to incorporate in our project. He wasn’t very receptive (first red flag we ignored), but because he was available right away we gave him the job. He came up with a rough design and asked us to trust him…this is not my first BBQ he said. What a mistake we made… the whole job was a total disaster. After a few days 3/4 of our backyard was covered with ugly, cheap mulch and a whole bunch of small, poor quality plants. Many of them were brown and looked like they were dying. His response was: they will come back. Eventually he replaced a few box woods and said if you want me to replace more I will have to charge extra. Some other plants he simply planted in the wrong areas, for example roses in the shade,so they quickly started to suffer and we had to replant them. We were very specific about the color of the gravel we wanted, so it would match that which already existed on the property, but he brought a totally different color stone and then told us they are close enough. Kent turned out to be very unprofessional , was rude to me and my husband and extremely unpleasant. His attitude in the end was: I did what you wanted. He has no sense of landscape design. All materials and plants were picked randomly and of poor quality.Be very careful and very specific if you decide to hire him. He’s very overpriced for what he does. We wasted tens of thousand of dollars and ended up having to spend even more to make our garden livable again.

Description of Work
backyard makeover

Category mulch, pavers, gravel, architect

Work Completed On 04/26/2020

01/19/2020

Leslie H.

Very well.. Would definitely use this company again.

Description of Work
Landscaping in front of curb.

Category pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 12/05/2019

12/17/2019

Michael M.

Kent and his team came out and trimmed 10 trees on my property. They did an exceptional job! Very professional and cleaned everything up. Would definitely hire again.

Description of Work
Tree Trimming for 10 trees

Category tree service

Work Completed On 12/13/2019

12/03/2019

Deborah E.

Excellent! Arrived on time, great communication, friendly & efficient service. Kent’s large crew worked as a team, with three climbers, spotters, several clean up workers, word chipper for palm fronds, stump grinders, haul away trucks. Worked safely & efficiently. Highly recommend - neighbors requested bids as well from C & H.

Description of Work
Removal of three very tall palm trees from our home yard - front, back & side

Category hauling services, landscaping, tree service

Work Completed On 11/30/2019

Review for C & H Gardens Artistic Landscape & Tree Service - 1244 Berryman Cyn, Encinitas, CA - 38266278

12/01/2019

Ingrid C.

Kent not only provided us a solution, but also restored our sanctuary. He readily took on a remediation project to restore flagstone in our patio area affected by a re-routed buried gas line. Where we were already overwhelmed with the complexity of the task (and the distress from the gas line leak), Kent reassured us that he would take care of everything. His extensive experience, coupled with his genuine passion to restore our space, was compelling. The attention-to-detail was seen from Kent down through each of his team members. Not only was it difficult to match the existing flagstone, but his team laid it in a way that blended naturally with the remaining patio. Each step seemed to have been done with the same care they would do for their own home—from the initial dig to expertly puzzling together the flagstone, it was flawless execution. Also, with their expertise with barbecues, they were able to also trouble shoot our side burners & gas fire pit. Kent is a professional; and his Zen-presence radiated beyond the project, and exceeded our expectations. To him, this may have been a simple job to restore our patio; but to us, he helped us to regain resilience from this whole ordeal. We are loyal to his work and his passion; and would feel privileged to work with him again on another project. With whole-hearted gratitude, J & I (Carmel Valley)

Description of Work
Restore flagstone in the patio slab area affected by re-routed buried gas line

Category landscaping, pavers, gravel, fireplaces, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 01/09/2019

07/27/2019

Lawrence L.

The whole project went exceptionally well. They were able to start within 10 days. A full crew worked diligently from about 9am to 4pm daily and on very hot days. The project was completed in one week. My suggestion to anyone who is thinking of a backyard landscape project is to have a design in place prior to meeting with landscapers. This includes not just layout but also the type of foliage, hardscape, irrigation needs you want. Do your research in advance. C & H was the only landscaper that was responsive to my needs and desires and not only was amenable to them, they met those needs without flaw. They didn't try to upsell, were down-to-earth and accommodating. Prior to discovering C&H, I had interviewed a couple of other landscaping firms. One was not communicative and the other was not as interested in my design plan but what he wanted to do. Keep in mind most extensive landscaping jobs can be costly, but if you want to do the job right, be prepared to pay more because you will really not want to have to redo a botched job. I am really happy with the result and I am looking forward to spending more time in my new yard. I highly recommend C & H to anyone who is looking for quality work.

Description of Work
Backyard landscaping and irrigation

Category hauling services, landscaping, irrigation systems, mulch, pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 07/19/2019

02/22/2019

Jackie B.

Kent and his amazing crew created exactly what I had hoped for. I will submit photos later. We moved to our new house July 2018 and realized we had a lot coyote activity a little too close for comfort. We have a small dog and concerned about taking him for walks. I wanted a 5 star dog run built . I also wanted the back patio to be larger as in concrete because the gophers were destroying what little grass we had in the back yard. Together with Kent, the owner of C and H designed a plan with everything we were hoping for. His Crew worked so hard. First, they showed when they said they were going to. Then the first 2 and half days worked for hours in the pouring rain. They didn’t miss a day. It took a little longer but that was fine with me. Every crew member was friendly, polite and very detailed oriented. The last two days of the project, again worked in the pouring rain. You could tell they were proud of their work. The final project was completed today. We could not be happier. I will post photos when I get a chance to get them off of the camera. Thank you Kent for an amazing job! Thank you for the few last minute adjustments we made to make it perfect.

Description of Work
100% secure Dog run and patio expansion

Category concrete repair, driveway gates, patios

Work Completed On 02/21/2019

08/11/2018

Michelle M.

Kent was very, very responsive to my initial call. He promptly addressed my near-term irrigation issue. Kent quickly created a recommendation for migrating my landscaping to drought-tolerant landscaping, which included replacement of a front and side lawn. The work was done quickly and completed very well. I was traveling extensively during the time of the work, and Kent and his crew completed the work with little direction needed by me. I will use C&H services again.

Description of Work
Conversion of yard and flower beds to drought-tolerant landscaping, repair and replacement of fence, installation of drip irrigation, replacement of irrigation controls box, tree removal.

Category fencing, landscaping, irrigation systems, tree service

Work Completed On 07/24/2018

08/01/2018

Mary Jane S.

It went great! Enrique and his crew were punctual, efficient, and professional. They did a great job. The plants were a overgrown and needed attention. They look great now, and I will hire again to maintain. They left the space clean and debris free. AND they charged half of what another business had quoted me.

Description of Work
Prune and skin giant birds of paradise, prune sago palm, thin regular birds, prune schefflera and remove all cuttings

Work Completed On 07/17/2018

07/14/2018

Janet A.

Kent and his team were AMAZING! My backyard was full of weeds, mounds of dirt, dead plants and just a GIANT, UGLY mess. Kent's crew came in and in about 4 days transformed my yard into an oasis! Now when I look out my windows, I see a beautiful yard and I'm no longer frowning everytime I look at it. They truly went above and beyond to ensure everything was done to my satisfaction. The crew was on time each day and worked so hard. Kent was there each day as well which shows he cares about his clients. It sure was different than previous companies I've used where the boss only shows up to pick up payments. I'm so glad I went with Kent. One of my neighbors wants his number!

Description of Work
Backyard transformation! Cleared out an old out of control honeysuckle bush, tons of weeds, transplanted plants, planted all new rose garden and other plants, converted my existing sprinklers to drip and connected the two backyard valves to my timer, installed artificial turf, pressure washed everything and sealed existing pavers.

Category hauling services, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, mulch

Work Completed On 07/12/2018

05/10/2018

Matthew W.

Kolten came out and gave us the estimate and demonstrated his expertise. He was the only one who knew what kind of tree we actually had. Another company told us it was something different. We had a tree removed, fire sticks/pencil plant removed and two trees trimmed. We felt like the work was affordable.

Description of Work
tree trimming, tree and plant removal

Work Completed On 05/10/2018

05/03/2018

Evelyn N.

They did an excellent job. They were neat, knew what they were doing and were extremely efficient. Kent was very personable with us and we are so pleased with our new yard.

Description of Work
We had 7 50ft pine trees that they laced. They finished the work in about a day and a half and they did a beautiful job and did it for half the price we paid the last time to have it done. They then redid our entire yard including installing new plants, replenishing some existing ones, installing a new drip watering system, and laid new bark mulch in all the beds.

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, mulch, tree service

Work Completed On 04/27/2018

04/25/2018

Suzanne C.

They did about half of the work orders. Supposed to remove rocks, clear out top layer of soil to get rid of all the weeds. But they only did that for one section. For the rest of the yard they just poured the rocks over everything and now all the weeds are coming back. I would not hire C&H ever again.

Description of Work
Front yard

Category excavators, landscaping, mulch, pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 03/27/2018

01/18/2018

Gary P.

Kent and his team were amazing. They worked right through the holidays helping to complete our new yard make-over. We couldn't be happier with the quality of work and the speed in which they completed the projects. This was no easy task, but they made our front and back yards exquisite. They don't just landscape, but Kent has an amazing talent for designing landscapes that are magical. Thank you to Kent and his team for getting this job done so quickly, even through the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's holidays. Gary and Joy Peck

Description of Work
A complete renovation of my front and back yard

Category concrete repair, decks, hauling services, landscaping, irrigation systems, mulch, drain pipe, hardscaping

Work Completed On 01/04/2018

11/16/2017

Vince D.

This is a great company. The owner (Kent Horner) is highly knowledgeable in all aspects of landscaping, is instinctively very artistic and is easy to work with. His crew (under the leadership of Evan) are also experienced and know what they are doing. They were promptly at the house every morning at 8:30 am. Any change requests we made were not a problem. They were happy to do them. We had zero issues with this company. It was actually enjoyable watching our house being transformed. Interestingly, many of the surrounding neighbors complemented us on the weekly improvements. Since completion of our landscape project in mid Oct, we have given out the C & H Graden phone number to at least a half dozen admirers of our property. I can't say enough about Kent Honer and his staff. We received bids from 4 companies. We chose C & H Garden...and are very happy we did.

Description of Work
Complete re-landscape of our primary residence (i.e. front, back and side yards). However, before Kent Horner and crew could even begin the new landscaping, they first had to beak-up and remove all the old cement (which was a substantial amount), pull out an existing wood retaining wall and also dig up and get rid of all the existing plants from around the house.

Category concrete repair, decks, concrete driveways, excavators, hauling services, landscaping, masonry, mulch, pavers, gravel, tree service, drain pipe, outdoor lighting, patios

Work Completed On 10/13/2017

Review for C & H Gardens Artistic Landscape & Tree Service - 1244 Berryman Cyn, Encinitas, CA - 36581064

10/03/2017

Mark H.

Kent and the C&H Gardens team were punctual, professional and on budget. More importantly, the quality of the work and look of the landscaping was best in class. About 1 year after completion of our project, a neighbor's landscaper destroyed our drip system in the front of our home. Kent and his crew were there a day after we contacted him to correct the issue at a minimal cost to our family.

Description of Work
Kent and his team C&H Gardens designed and constructed all of our landscaping for our home.

Category concrete repair, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, lighting, mulch, pavers, gravel, tree service, drain pipe, outdoor lighting

Work Completed On 10/03/2017

08/19/2017

JERRY M.

They did excellent work: careful, thorough, cleaned everything up afterwards. Amazing job!

Description of Work
Large pine tree in backyard had died and had to be removed

Work Completed On 07/28/2017

07/31/2017

Carole L.

Kent's estimate was reasonable and in line with another estimate I had received. I chose Kent because he was more knowledgable about the repairs I needed, and he didn't try to talk me into unnecessary changes outside of my budget. Kent and his crew were professional and punctual. They completed all the work in six days, making sure to leave the work area clean each day. I am so pleased with my new backyard, and I highly recommend C & H Gardens!

Description of Work
I needed backyard wood fence repair, drain repair, removal of existing grass and plants, extending concrete patio, relandscaping and replacing irrigation, power washing, and trimming a queen palm.

Category concrete repair, fencing, hauling services, landscaping, irrigation systems, mulch, tree service, drain pipe, mudjacking, driveway gates

Work Completed On 07/29/2017