Armstrong Installation Service

Founded 1966 • With Angi since May 2005

4.2

4575 San Pablo Ave

Emeryville, CA 94608

Since its inception in California in 1966 Armstrong has been committed to the improvement, beautification, and preservation of Bay Area homes and commercial and institutional buildings. This has been achieved employing an elsewhere vanishing work ethic, coupled with superior technical knowledge

08/09/2017

Daniel M.

After three requests for an estimate they never showed up or even bothered to tell me they were uninterested. A complete waste of my time and extremely unprofessional. I would never trust this company.

Description of Work
Needed a new roofeded roof on an industrial building.

04/20/2017

Kristine H.

I ended up not using them. The quote they gave me was very expensive. They recommended work that did not need to be done. They recommended that all of my windows in my apartment, there are 9, be replaced. They do need to be replaced but that they needed to be treated as new construction. I had a contractor come in after Armstrong come in and look at it. There was in fact only 1 window that needed new construction and the other windows would be retrofit. I felt that they were not completely honest. I called and asked them to give me another price on some other type of windows, and they never got back to me. That was it for me. I know they were not being honest with the work. They were recommending work that didn't need to be done. He did come to the house a couple of times, but I don't remember if he was punctual or not. They were going to charge me for work that I didn't need to do. But the estimate was off, I don't know how much, but it was off. Just based on that. They based it on pictures. They guy did come out. He was a representative, but he was not a contractor. So he took pictures and showed it to the fella who owns the business. The guy, based on the pictures, said this is what she is going to need. And that is what the estimate was based on. I then followed up by having an actual contractor come out and look at my windows. I felt it was unethical, what they did. It was based on incomplete information. I do not want to be contacted by this business. I was disgusted by their lack of ethics. I don't want to deal with them in anyway.

Description of Work
Estimate.

Category replacement windows

03/08/2017

Chip H.

I would give them an F but they actually should up for the estimate appointment. It should have been a red flag told me Armstrong doesn't do many siding jobs and that he just finished being training on estimating siding. A week after the estimate appointment I sent an email asking for an ETA for the proposal. The estimator told me he would have it to me the next day. Several days after that I sent another email inquiry to which I received no response. It's now been 3 weeks without the proposal and 2 weeks since any communications from the company. I believe you say what you're going to do and then do what you said you were going to do. Whether this company doesn't emphasize siding or not, this is indicative of their corporate culture as a whole. I wouldn't use them for any work.

Description of Work
I asked Armstrong to provide an estimate for Hardie fiber cement siding for my house.

Category siding

12/20/2014

ROBERT K.

In the midst of heavy rains, my light well began to leak. I called several roofers, all of whom were very busy. When I called Armstrong, I was told that they could easily handle my problem, and scheduled an appointment for a saturday. However, on the day of the appointment, I was called by them, and informed that they didn't repair light wells. This left me high and dry (wet, actually) and when I began to call other roofers, all of them were closed on the weekend. This has caused me days of delay, and aggravation.

Description of Work
Caused significant aggravation.

08/21/2014

Bryce N.

Although a significant error was made, and although that took months to resolve, I am giving an and quot;Aand quot; rating to the company. They never gave up working to resolve the issue, and never attempted to shift blame or evade responsibility. The actual foaming process was seamless. They showed up on time, early in the day, with what amounts to a huge hair drier. The roof was made toasty warm and dry, and the coating applied. The crew allowed me to observe from the roof, they communicated well, and cleaned up after themselves. These guys know foam. The crew chief had 17 years of continuity with the company. Unfortunately their chief carpenter was out that day. The assistant cut the skylight hole and found a beam in the way. This itself is not unusual. What he did next is the problem: he cut a bigger and bigger ragged hole, then cut a chunk out of a roof joist deliberately and without asking. The tube skylight used can adjust for small offsets, so the cut was not even needed. For future jobs I feel Armstrong should: 1. At bid time, plot out a primary and alternative location for any skylight, in case job site conditions mandate a change. 2. Never cut a structural beam without asking the client first. It took multiple tries to get the roof joist repaired adequately (the roof uses 2x4 joists at 24 inch centers: so each joist counts especially in earthquake country). But Armstrong stuck it through at significant expense. The eventually offered a small consideration for the hassle we were exposed to.

Description of Work
1. Apply a "recoat" to a 15 year old foam roof, also installed by Armstrong. 2. Repair a bad patch (concrete used to repair foam) made by another company. 3. Cut a hole for a skylight.

08/04/2014

Will C.

I went with Armstrong because the roof metal edging materials were more substantial and of higher quality than what was offered by other vendors. The price was a bit higher. Also, I did not find any reviews anywhere that complained about service or installation. There are some reviews that complain about price or estimators, but none by people who actually had work done. I was not disappointed. They did a very good job. I wanted three inch round downspouts instead of existing 2 inch rectangular. The estimator thought it might have issues, but the installation crew handled everything perfectly without problems. In general, I can't say enough good things about a foam roof. We have had ours through two heat waves and the temperature in the house is easily 15 degrees cooler. Also, the old tar and gravel roof would keep the house sweltering through the whole night after a hot day. Now that does not happen at all. The house cools quickly and stays cool. Foam roof is the way to go if you have no attic to insulate. You won't be sorry if you choose Armstrong.

Description of Work
New foam roof, dry rot repair, new downspouts, new skylight

12/15/2013

Scott M.

Once the project was able to start due to the rain the job went very well. Price is a little more that other company's, but the guarantee/warranty is very very good. I will use them again as I was very pleased with the sales representative as well other communication I had. They also install windows and do painting. This is a plus to be able to fix your home with one company.

Description of Work
Foam roofing on flat roof building.

10/04/2013

Alexis D.

The initial visit by the rep was very helpful. George was knowledgeable and professional. We never felt pressured into considering something we did not really need or want. When it came to price, we were able to negotiate. George was very understanding and accommodating. When we mentioned the need to take care of the dry rot, he offered to include so many linear feet of new wood at no extra cost, and even added some more. In the end I think they even included more than we asked for simply not to leave the job incomplete. We needed new downspouts, and while he offered to take care of them, he also readily agreed when asked, that we could get what we needed at a place like Home Depot. We were also having a new HVAC unit installed on the roof, and while coordinating these two jobs, best done simultaneously, was a potential nightmare, they were very accommodating with schedule adjusting. On the day of installation it rained, but they just adjusted their schedule and continued the following day and worked with our HVAC company to negotiate new times. This job is normally two days, but they came back a total of four times, to clean the roof, to spray it, to remove the paper from the sky wells, to spray insulating foam around the new HVAC unit to seal the ducting and then again to wash our windows. Throughout the job the workers were polite, professional, and committed to quality work. They always cleaned up after any work whether it was sand off the roof, or old product, or dirty windows before they left the property each time. Originally, George thought it would be possible to spray the foam, so that it would form gutters. When that was not possible in practice, they came up with another solution, which involved more work, without any complaints. We were also able to get a one year interest free financing. We had good results with Armstrong the first time we hired them and thought that they did very excellent work this second time. We would recommend them to others without qualification.

Description of Work
Armstrong installed our first polyurethane roof 23 years ago, and now they re-did the roof by shaving off a layer of the old roof and applying a new thicker layer of foam and protective topping. They also replaced the fascia around the entire roof and repaired some dry rot in the eaves.

09/30/2013

Renee R.

Very well. The house will need to be totally repainted in a few years, but the repair work will stave that off for a while and looks excellent. I cannot even tell where the repair spots are. Armstrong also did our foam roof about 9 years ago. They were not the least expensive, but the quality of their work was excellent and we have been very happy with the product. It keeps our house cooler on warm days, and warmer in the winter. It also makes the top floor quieter. Always been very satisfied by the quality of their employees, both in the painting and roofing departments.

Description of Work
True to their word, Armstrong came and patched up some peeling paint spots on the back of our home per the warranty. We had the house painted about 8 years ago.

08/07/2013

Janet T.

We did not use Armstrong. Armstrong's price for a new foam roof was considerably higher than that offered by another Angie's List contractor.

Description of Work
Provided proposal which we did not accept.

03/04/2013

Linda B.

They do not cover the city permits. I have used them before. I got roofing guarantee and the roof that I had before lasted well beyond the guarantee. They come when they are scheduled. They clean up everyday, because they are putting on foam. They actually covered all the cars that were on the street within about four houses of my house to make sure nothing got on anybody else's vehicle out on the street, even though I did not know who these people were who had parked on the street. They were very prompt in coming out, inspecting the roof, giving the estimate and then scheduling the actual roofing. It would be nice if the price were lower, but that is not a reality, I have checked with other places for my style of roof that is about what it costs. I do not have anything bad to say about them.

Description of Work
I got my roof done by Armstrong Painting, Roofing, and Window. They also put in brackets for solar panels.

02/25/2013

Roger H.

They were on time and completed the work as they said they would. They are a very efficient company. So far I have had good luck with their product. Their price was competitive with other companies and I think their product is a bit superior.

Description of Work
I used Armstrong Painting, Roofing and Window about six months ago. They put on a new roof for me.

04/12/2011

Patty I.

I was at home on Friday waiting on another contractor to perform work, and a salesman rang my doorbell. It was an Armstrong representative and he explained that they were going to be in the area performing work on house and was wondering if I had any need for windows, painting or roofing. I already had some quotes out for wooden windows, so I thought one more would be helpful. He set an appointment for the following Thursday morning. He explained that I would get a call to confirm the appointment. On Monday, I received a call in the afternoon that I couldn't take due to being in a meeting. The voice mail explained it was Armstrong calling to confirm my appointment. Then, over the next few hours I received 5 more phone calls from the same number. Tuesday morning I receive another phone call and a message is left again. Seven phone calls and two messages in a 12 hour period, which is more than two days before the appointment, are a little too high pressure and unprofessional for me. I called, cancelled my appointment, and went with another bid.

Description of Work
Wooden window estimate.

Category roofing, replacement windows

04/08/2011

JOSEPH M.

The application of the foam roof went quickly. The workers laid a base material over the roof, and then sprayed the foam on top. They made sure that cars in the neighborhood were protected and there were no over spray problems. If you have a flat roof, this is the way to reroof. For the paint job, they did prep work, repaired termite and dry rot damage and painted the house. The house looks great. The owner of the company followed up on our concerns and showed great interest in customer satisfaction when we really didn't expect such service.

Description of Work
Armstrong applied a foam roof in 2009. The flat roof had caused problems for 2 decades. There have been no leaks since and it is a great relief to have this type of roofing. Armstrong also painted our house in 2010. We had some disagreements over price. The owner found out about this and personally contacted us to work out a compromise.

10/01/2010

Sharon G.

Armstrong Installation did, in fact, perform the roofing service; however, they also managed to spray a large portion of our newly painted homes exterior walls with this foam product...thus invalidating our very expensive Liquid Siding warranty. As soon as I saw what they had done, I immediately called Armstrong and the rep. had the gall to say "Oh, it's just a little bit of over-spray"! NOT! Three complete exterior WALLS have been sprayed BRILLIANT WHITE with this "roofing" product ...and the rest of house is painted a pale yellow (Liquid Siding)! The stark contrast makes the top of our home look like there are halogen spot lights shooting up from the roof! Our Liquid Siding contractor has no idea what type of material is now affixed to those walls and whether or not it will stay affixed over the course of our 25 year warranty. The material may, in fact, have to be ground off and resealed and repainted! That was on 9/2/10...we're still waiting to hear from "Armstrong...and-a-1234" as to how this mess is going to be resolved! In spite of the fact that I have not and will not pay the balance due on this project (50%), Armstrong has not bothered to contact our Liquid Siding contractor (as I asked them to do) and I have not heard from Armstrong since 09/04/10....it's now 10/01/10!

Description of Work
We contracted to have a foam roof installed...NOT walls of our home sprayed with roofing material! Buyer beware! Well, this finally got resolved...no thanks to Armstrong! They NEVER called me back and NEVER even made an attempt to contact our "Liquid Siding" contractor! Our "Liquid Siding" contractor took the time to hand scrape all this roofing material off, restucco'd and repainted. Because the roofing material had been sprayed onto the exterior walls, it did, in fact, void our warantee; however, once it was correctly repaired the house was waranteed again.

09/18/2010

Frances G.

I would not use them. I will be happy if I don’t get to see them again. They were very difficult to deal with. I am not totally convinced that they painted it fully. They told me that I had to have the front of my house replaced because it had wood poles on it and the poles were rotted. They then refused to leave the paint. They were not nice people to deal with. They had advertisements on the TV and radio about their wonderful work. It may be true in some cases. Their painting job wasn’t the most expensive quote that I had but it was next to the most expensive one. The paint seems to be holding up and I feel that it’s not bad after 3 years. The quality seems to be pretty good. They finished the job but they didn’t wait to finish the job until I had the front of the house replaced. I had to have all the posts replaced. They had to tear out all the stucco in the front of the house in order to do that. They didn’t do it and I had to get another contractor. They insisted that they would start on the day they said they were going to start. I also told them that I couldn’t get it done by my contractor. I asked them if we could put it off for another day but they never agreed to put it off. So they painted the front part of the house which was all torn apart. So I asked them to leave me the paint so that the contractor could match it with the rest of the house once the construction was over. They got very nasty with me when I didn’t have the wood poles replaced and when I asked them to leave the paint. They said that they would give me coat and I told them that a coat wouldn’t cover the whole front of the house. It wasn’t touch up and it was major construction work. They eventually did leave the paint when I threatened to call the Better Business Bureau. However, they were on time. They supposedly had on-the-job supervisor, but I didn’t see him much. I wouldn’t recommend them to anybody else. I wasn’t happy with them and I would never call them again to do anything.

Description of Work
Armstrong Installation Services painted the exterior of my house about 2 or 3 years ago.

09/17/2010

JUDY K.

It was kind of expensive. I was pleased with the workers that did the actual painting. They were very good and didn't waste time. They were in and out which I liked. They were professional and cleaned up afterwards. They did the work on time. A friend that has used them recommended them to me. They did a good job especially the trim part. The trim was wood and needed prep work. They did a good job on the prep work and trim. It was pricey.

Description of Work
I used Armstrong Installation Service for exterior painting.

08/31/2010

Mary M.

I had a bad experience with Armstrong. I had a 10:00 am appointment on 30 Aug 2010 for a roofing estimate ( foam roof). They did not show up or call. At 11:00 I called them and they apologized (with no explanation) and asked if they could send someone over the next day (Aug 31) at 10:00. I said yes. Again the next day, no one showed up. I called and the receptionist told me that my appointment was for "10:30". By then it was 10:45 so in any event they were late (plus I was sure we had agreed on 10:00 because I had it in my agenda). The receptionist then put me on hold and disconnected me. About 10 minutes later, Armstrong called back and said they were sending their "best estimator" over immediately. The estimator called and told me that no one had shown up at my house at 10:00 am today because my appointment had been "erased from the computer due to a glitch." So either the receptionist either misspoke about my appointment being at 10:30 or she lied. The estimator showed up. He was a pleasant person. He offered me a discount. I have not yet decided if I will take Armstrong''s bid, but I am reluctant to trust a roofing company that missed two appointment and perhaps even distorted the truth to their own advantage. What you want in a roofing company about all else is reliability. At least in this instance, Armstrong failed miserably in that regard. If their computer assigned appointment system is the problem, they need to fix it immediately.

Description of Work
Estimate for foam roof was only service performed

Dear Member, I am the owner of Armstrong and although I was previously aware of your comment, I wanted to use this opportunity to respond directly to your feedback so that you can know you were heard. First, please accept my belated apology for missing our scheduled appointment for an estimate with you, not once but twice. I can assure you this is not the standard by which we do business and based on yours and a few other reviews at the time, it indicated we needed improvement. Towards that end, Armstrong undertook and completed a total reorganization of our call center so that we could be assured appointments were not missed. Additional personnel were added and tasked specifically with monitoring the schedule to resolve appointment conflicts and perform quality control to make sure our representatives were on time, all questions were answered and any necessary follow up took place. Again please accept my apology, and as a thank you for taking your time to provide us with feedback and in acknowledgement for the inconvenience we caused, we would like to arrange a complementary dinner for two at a restaurant of your choice. You can contact me directly at mitch@armstrong1234.com or (510)-735-0905 and I will take care of all the arrangements. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Mitch Fine Owner

08/23/2010

Ralph H.

They were very professional. They were very specific about the materials they were going to use, and that was important to me. However, they were more expensive than the person we ended up using.

Description of Work
I contacted Armstrong Installation Service to get a quote for restaining my house a year ago.

07/30/2010

Lauren J.

I called 3 roofers through Angies List. The other 2 called back, made an appointment, showed up and gave us an estimate. Armstrong called back, said they'd come by at a specific day and time and never showed. When I phoned to find out what happened, the receptionist was kind of rude. They said "Oh, you have to talk to the estimator first." (They acted as if they had mentioned this before, which they had not.) "O.K.," I said, "Please have them call me." No estimator called, no one checked back from the office about it.

Description of Work
I called for a roof replacement estimate.

06/24/2010

Louis F.

They were punctual and they were professional.

Description of Work
Armstrong Installation Service came out and did an estimate for replacing 25 windows.

Category replacement windows

01/06/2010

John N.

Armstrong was great. Their salesman, George, was very knowledgeable and professional, as was Takis, who oversaw the project. Takis kept us informed at all times of activities and schedules, and was helpful and informative in answering questions as the job proceeded. The workers who actually prepared the roof and did the foam installation were also very professional, hard-working and efficient. The work was done on time and quickly, and our overall experience with Armstrong was first-rate. We didn't compare prices with other foam roofing installers, so can't comment on the price relative to others.

Description of Work
Armstrong cleaned the gravel off our old tar & gravel roof, prepared the roof for foam installation, and applied the foam.

05/16/2009

Alix & Tara M.

I requested an estimate via company's website, and promptly received a call to schedule an estimate. The estimator was late due to car trouble, but she did call to let me know what was going on; not a problem. When she arrived, she seemed very well trained as a salesperson, tried to reschedule the appointment for when my spouse was also available (not possible for us), then rattled off her spiel. Her sample window appeared to be a good quality product, and got decent reviews when I searched online, although I was a little concerned about service, since it's a pretty small company in Oregon. She took rough measurements and advised me of possible fire-code concerns with the bedroom windows in our 1971 house. She wrote the measurements on scrap paper, and said she'd e-mail an estimate. Over a month later, I got an e-mail from what appeared to be her personal address (not company address), with a total price. No details on installation (retrofit vs new construction), egress measurement concerns on bedroom windows, permit process, etc. Her estimate was about 2/3 of the other 3 bids I got, which made me suspicious. Also, Armstrong does not have a C17 glazing license in CA, only a general contractor's license (every other window company I considered has a C17 license). I don't know if I just got an extra-flaky estimator, or if this company doesn't provide adequate support and training, or some combination thereof. The whole process could not begin to compare to the professionalism of the other 3 companies that bid on my job.

Description of Work
Provided estimate for replacement of 5 windows and 1 patio slider from single-pane aluminum to double-pane vinyl.

Category replacement windows, doors

02/12/2009

ANNE R.

They know about foam roofs. They've done the recoating job our our roof as well. They recoated around our solar panels. They did the roof on a small addition to our house. I'm not sure if they had low or high prices, but we are comfortable enough to use them for all of our roofing needs. They have reasonable prices. Armstrong Roofing has done a near perfect job for us. I will use them again.

Description of Work
I hired Armstrong roofing to put foam on our roof.

09/09/2008

LAURARET N.

I would recommend them in the future.

Description of Work
They painted the exterior of our house and installed a polyurethane foam roof.