Hassler Heating & Air Conditioning

Founded 1999 • With Angi since May 2008

1537 S 56th St

El Cerrito, CA 94530

Hassler Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc. provides exceptional residential heating and cooling services with a focus on improving your home's energy efficiency. We serve the counties of Alameda, Contra Costa and Marin with particular focus on those homes with special heating and cooling

09/02/2020

Gil M.

Zero response to my phone call. The company operator guaranteed reply within 24 hours. I fixed it myself, Angies List was useless. I will not use you in the future.

Description of Work
Replace or repair AC sump pump

Category

09/01/2020

Keith W.

Performed thorough evaluation and found only a small problem. Fixed immediately without trying to upsell anything else.

Description of Work
A/C was not cooling and condenser hoses were freezing over

12/06/2019

RICH S.

It went great. Hassler gave us a same-day appointment - two other companies couldn't fit us in for days - and their technician, Bruce, showed up in the first hour of the 3-hour time window we were assigned. He was professional and extremely knowledgable, diagnosing the problem quickly and then expertly replacing a damaged circuit board with one in his truck (amazing he had it; I thought for sure he would have to order the part and we'd be several days with no heat). The part was expensive and Bruce accommodated us by waiving the charge to come out and diagnose the problem, which covered the labor costs. After replacing the circuit board he made sure the system tested out, operated the furnace to confirm it was working, and cleaned up thoroughly afterward. Overall, an excellent service, and I would recommend Hassler - and Bruce - without reservation.

Description of Work
Furnace stopped providing warm air

08/14/2019

Scott H.

The services was fine. The cost was over the top. For a $75 part, they charge me $292. Buyers beware.

Description of Work
repair A/C

08/07/2019

Demetria D.

97° Sunday afternoon. My wife & daughter can't tolerate hotter than 80° & the AC goes down. I felt assured by Hasslers strident receptionist. She hooked me up with an appointment for Tuesday. They had a cancellation and the job was done Monday. Wife & daughter were ecstatic.

Description of Work
Replace HVAC capacitor

01/22/2019

Kevin P.

Of the 3 estimates I had (Home Depot, True Energy and Hassler), Hassler was recommended by a good friend who is a business owner and knows the Bay Area business climate. Hassler provided the best price by far, and I felt very comfortable with them. Mr. Robert Mitchell explained what I needed and didn't need. The 2 others recommended replacing all my ducting, which would have driven up the costs considerably. And since my ducting had only a thin wrap of insulation, he recommended covering that with better insulation, which I did myself. The installation went well, though it took a little longer than they had originally estimated. They did a good job or routing all the misc pipes for drainage and exhaust of the heater after consulting with me about the routes. They ran out of time to bolt the furnace to the cement floor of my basement ( earthquake safety feature), but said they would return after my inspection to do that and anything additional the inspector found The installation inspection went well, and the inspector did not find anything additional. The one hiccup in the process was when they sent an inexperienced tech out to drill the holes in the concrete to mount the furnace to the floor. He didn't have the right drill bits to drill through the concrete and apparently rebar that was in the concrete. He seemed unsure of how to proceed. I told him I thought I had the tools to finish the job, and if he would leave me the screws & brackets, I would finish. Later that day, I found I didn't have the correct bits to drill the holes either. I called Hassler back and they sent another tech out to finish the job. Great job Hassler!

Description of Work
Replace old furnace.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, insulation, asbestos removal, energy audit

01/22/2019

Kevin P.

Tech arrived promptly, had correct tools and supplies, was professional in his knowledge and attitude.

Description of Work
Furnace check

12/15/2017

Malcolm G.

For quotes process, I saw Mike Hassler himself on October 2. I also saw two other companies: ABC and Nahman. Nahman's estimator would only quote for a full system replacement, for more than $10k, and ABC, while helpful, felt like it was too far away (in the South Bay). Also Mike at Hassler convinced me of his and his company's expertise during the quote process. Mike made it seem like a small, agile operation, but upon working with the rest of the company, there is at least one bookkeeper, one appointments arranger, a construction manager, and at least two installers besides him. The reason I mention this is that while Mike made me feel well taken care of, he was difficult to reach after his first visit and quote. Another detail lost in the company process was that Mike said he could arrange the work "within a couple of weeks" (which I wanted) but when his quote went through his company process, it was 2 1/2 months. One of the things he and I discussed during his first visit was building out my air return housing and installing a proper return grate. But that didn't make it onto the quote in precisely those terms. Mike used more general language in the quote and didn't revise the quote when I asked him about it, just saying, verbally "Yes, that's covered." This put me in a bind later, which I will explain. Ultimately, the company handled it in a way I think was more than fair. But leaving me feeling like I was left in the lurch for a couple of hours wasn't the best. Anyhow, there was a delay, first, where the company's bookkeeper was waiting for my 10% downpayment, and I didn't know it. After I worked that detail out with them (around 10/25/2017), a month had already gone by and the appointments maker delayed the process again by first making an appointment with me for a "pre-construction site visit" (scheduled for 2 1/2 weeks after I made the payment - 11/16/2017) and then, with little apology, cancelling it a day before it was supposed to happen (11/15/2017) saying that it didn't need to happen. (In fact, it did, because of the bind I mentioned previously.) Their next appointment was available another month later, on 12/14/2017, when the work actually happened. During the actual construction, the company sent one worker, which was fine - I was expecting he would take 4 to 8 hours. We mutually understood and agreed on all but the air intake work. For the air intake, Mike Hassler said he would include in the quote language for doing light carpentry and building out the air intake frame so that a proper grate could be installed on it. It takes up the bottom 2 feet of my linen closet, and is well situated in a central location in my house. When he sent the original quote, I couldn't find the language in the quote, so I asked Mike about it on 10/14/2017, and Mike called and said it was included and I shouldn't worry. So, being a trusting sort, I didn't worry. During the walkthrough prior the worker doing the actual repairs, he called that out, saying that he wasn't lead to believe that was part of the work. He said he would call Mike and work it out and let me know where we stood on that. A couple of hours later, he said that another Hassler truck was bringing the grate, and a few hours after that, it was clear that the company was planning on supporting that part of the quote, and doing the work. So it turned out well, but I hate feeling like I'm paying for being trusting, even for a few hours. I was worried it was my fault for not handling the quote/contract right, and that sucks. I'd even started making plans with a handyman to do the work separately, not knowing how Hassler would eventually handle it. The quality of the work was top-notch. The worker was careful to talk with me about how I wanted the grid installed, and he did it well. He also talked with me about the details of the work he would do, then did the work as promised. He communicated well, both arranging for a good lunch time for him, keeping it short, and also working with me to test parts of the system as he worked on it, and having me come down to the basement a few times to review work in progress and explain what was going on. My only two issues were: - The carpentry on my air intake return was not included in the written quote, and not transmitted as institutional knowledge about my construction, which put me, for a few hours, in a tough spot. - My urgency with this job was not transmitted or considered a priority by the company beyond Mike, the quote guy/owner, and the worker himself, so the actual construction didn't happen until 2 1/2 months after I received the quote, even though I kept pushing for quicker service. Aside from that, the work was good and the process (although slow) was effective.

Description of Work
Duct replace, duct repair, duct sealing, insulation replace/repair/installation, air filter install, air intake repair/install

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, insulation, metal restoration

09/27/2017

Jim C.

After getting a nice note to call for an appointment, I called back and was told that they are no longer able to handle new work in SF! Angies' List -> please remove this vendor

Description of Work
Needed a quote for a new AC system in SF.

06/28/2017

Niaema B.

Chris was on time, professional and very knowledgeable. He is high proficient and provided me with pertinent information on the unit without my having to ask. I appreciate the service I received today and I will be using Hassler Heating and Cooling for my future servicing needs.

Description of Work
Central Heating Check Up-Maintenance and replacement of thermostat.

05/22/2017

kennette M.

excellent-very professional and reasonably priced

Description of Work
new heater and air conditioner

04/20/2017

Kristine H.

There was no cost for the estimate. They gave me an estimate on one and I asked them for an estimate on another system, and what I got back was a general cost. But not actually coming out again and looking at it; or going back on our notes. That is the only complaint I would have had with them. I have not made a decision at all. I think they have a full page in the Angie?s List booklet.

Description of Work
They came out and gave me a bid on a heater.

04/14/2017

Jack B.

Hassler was professional grade from beginning to end. When you work with Hassler you work with the best. They worked through a number of tricky issues with my install and were there for me every step of the way. They were always available day and night via phone and guided me through the entire process. The end result was amazing and we are loving our comfortable new home! Oh yeah, and I have a nice rebate check coming my way from PG&E due to my new energy efficient home. Thanks Hassler!!!

Description of Work
We bought a house built in 1948 with a heater that was installed when the house was built. We contracted Hassler to come in an completely overhaul our home, put in a new HVAC unit, remove asbestos, install new ducting, and finish everything off with a brand new Nest!

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, asbestos removal

04/11/2017

Pier V.

Workers were great, very quick and responsive to all my concerns. The tenants in the house are very happy and toasty now.

Description of Work
I needed a whole new furnace with duct work and overall sealing of basement area for an energy efficient system. Cost was around $15,000 with rebates totally around $3,300.

08/15/2016

Miriam L.

Workers were extremely polite, clean, hard-working, and pleasant. When all was finished and turned on, the fan of the heater and air-conditioner was extremely loud. I found it impossible to stay in our living room due to the pitch of the fan, which sounded like a cheap bathroom fan. Hassler came back and slowed the fan to reduce the noise which worked for the heater. We haven't used the AC since then, so I don't know if it will work. They also changed the vent registers in the LR and that also reduced the noise, but the system is still noisier than our very old system. Hassler was always responsive and polite, but I sure wish I had known to ask about this problem before I started.

Description of Work
Installed new furnace and air conditioner.

02/18/2016

Steven L.

It went pretty smoothly. They provided space heaters for the 3 days I was without heat. Extremely quick and responsive to problems. Very professional and courteous. Total job took 7 days and then went through everything when it was done. Only negative is that they only install Mondays thru Thursdays. No Friday work.

Description of Work
New Heater and A/C, New ducts. New tank less hot water heater and recirculating pump.

12/16/2015

kimia Z.

I already had had someone come and inspect my furnace and figure out I needed a replacement HSI, and he gave a quote of $400 but I didn't trust it was a good deal. I called Hassler and it took me some time but in the end I convinced them to send someone with the part and be prepared to install it. Chris showed up and was great. It ended up being much cheaper than my other quote ($230 versus $400).

Description of Work
Replaced an HSI to fix my furnace

07/24/2015

Doug W.

The service technician, Derrick, arrived on time, and was professional, pleasant, and knowledgeable. I found him open and frank and at no time did i feel he was hiding information or evading questions or giving me anything other than honest answers and information. Derrick returned on July 20th with Chris to replace the compressor and again they were on time and professional. I also spoke with someone named Eddie, in the office, when I first called Hassler's. I liked him very much - informative and frank and to the point. I also spoke with a lady dispatcher in the office whose name i forget but it started with a D, and I found her very professional and pleasant.

Description of Work
We asked Hassler Heating & Air Conditioning to service our AC unit which had stopped working. They performed diagnostic trouble-shooting and determined that the capacitor, the contacts, and the compressor were bad.

07/18/2015

Kriss D.

Mike Pagliuca arrived within the service window scheduled and also called to let us know when he was on his way. He was easy to work with & explain the issue to. He was a great methodical troubleshooter. Fixed it very quickly. (that was the $200 charge) When we mentioned that the AC wasn't working he offered to take a quick look at it. (It is on the roof of our building!) He quickly ascertained that a capacitor had gone bad. Went out to his truck, came back with the part and installed it. Two major issues solved in a very short amount of time. we will definitely use Hassler Heating & AC again! Charged for the part & the time & we saved on the service call fee! ($250).

Description of Work
Repaired Bosch Aquastar 125X inline (on demand) water heater. Also took care of a failed Capacitor on our York AC unit on the roof even though that hadn't been on the schedule for the appointment.

06/19/2015

kennette M.

We got bids from 4 places. Hassler was the most reasonably priced. We had a problem with the location of the air unit being next to a window and Hassler offered the most economical and expeditious solution. First impression was they were at least as professional and knowledgeable as another company that we were considering that quoted $3000 more. You could tell Hassler staff were very busy but they still showed up on time; and we felt confident that they knew what they were doing and that they did a thorough job.

Description of Work
replaced heating and air conditioning system in 1800 SF house.

12/29/2014

Susan M.

Very professional company from office staff to plumber assigned to job.

Description of Work
Leak at Furnace vent

08/05/2014

Catherine F.

Mike called 15 minutes before he arrived. He was courteous, professional, easy to work with. I appreciated his explanation of the various aspects of his inspection and what was needed next. Hassler Heating and Air has consistently communicated well with me. The installation was tricky because of my old house, and it took longer than expected. The end result was well worth it. I recommend Hassler Heating without hesitation.

Description of Work
Annual inspection of furnace today - it's been just over a year since the central heating was installed. Mike thoroughly checked the furnace, vents, thermostats, filter.

07/25/2014

norma B.

Call the company that installed the central air conditioner 5 years ago. Pro-tech being taken over and now called Hassler. Temp scheduled to be 102 today so we were looking for a speedy response. The company responded that they would be here about 3 pm today. Had a call at 2 pm and Mike was on his way. He went out to look at the a/c unit and after testing, declared it needed a new starting capacitor which he replaced and the air conditioner started working immediately. Mike is knowledgeable and very personable. THANKS a lot.. We hope we wont need him again but if we do we will certainly call him.

Description of Work
Responded to a fix it call, came out and fixed the central air.

06/05/2014

David G.

The heater is working properly now. They were quick with the service and I would use them again for service on the floor heater. They came and did the examination and then they called to make an appointment to get the work scheduled and that was within a week.

Description of Work
They had to re-wire a thermostat on a floor unit and they had to replace a gas valve due to an unknown leak to me.

03/30/2014

KAIULANI J.

The technician arrived promptly and quickly diagnosed the problem. A part had to be ordered, which took some time, but they installed it as soon as possible.