Hassler Heating & Air Conditioning

California: Contractors
01/31/2023

1537 S 56th St

El Cerrito, CA 94530

Hassler Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc. provides exceptional residential heating and cooling services with a focus on improving your home's energy efficiency. We serve the counties of Alameda, Contra Costa and Marin with particular focus on those homes with special heating and cooling requirements. In retrofitting old systems as well as remodeling projects, Hassler will create a custom system that is visually and aesthetically matched to your home, giving it state-of-the-art technology (such as high efficiency and zoned systems) and a welcome look and feel. Hassler is aware that many homes’ original architectural structure will not accommodate the easy-install, pre-fab systems that many HVAC companies use. Whatever your home comfort needs are, Hassler uses equipment and materials above industry standards including energy efficient options in our installations of heating and cooling systems. Additionally, we install and repair, programmable thermostats, filtration systems, heat pumps, ductless split systems, ducting, water heaters, humidifiers, and more....

HVAC Companies (67)asbestos removal (7)insulation (2)home energy audit (1)metal fabrication (1)water heaters (1)

09/02/2020

Zero response to my phone call. The company operator guaranteed reply within 24 hours. I fixed it myself, Angies List was useless. I will not use you in the future.

Description of Work
Replace or repair AC sump pump

Category

Work Completed On 09/01/2020

09/01/2020

Performed thorough evaluation and found only a small problem. Fixed immediately without trying to upsell anything else.

Description of Work
A/C was not cooling and condenser hoses were freezing over

Work Completed On 08/12/2020

12/06/2019

It went great. Hassler gave us a same-day appointment - two other companies couldn't fit us in for days - and their technician, Bruce, showed up in the first hour of the 3-hour time window we were assigned. He was professional and extremely knowledgable, diagnosing the problem quickly and then expertly replacing a damaged circuit board with one in his truck (amazing he had it; I thought for sure he would have to order the part and we'd be several days with no heat). The part was expensive and Bruce accommodated us by waiving the charge to come out and diagnose the problem, which covered the labor costs. After replacing the circuit board he made sure the system tested out, operated the furnace to confirm it was working, and cleaned up thoroughly afterward. Overall, an excellent service, and I would recommend Hassler - and Bruce - without reservation.

Description of Work
Furnace stopped providing warm air

Work Completed On 12/06/2019

08/14/2019

The services was fine. The cost was over the top. For a $75 part, they charge me $292. Buyers beware.

Description of Work
repair A/C

Work Completed On 08/13/2019

08/07/2019

97° Sunday afternoon. My wife & daughter can't tolerate hotter than 80° & the AC goes down. I felt assured by Hasslers strident receptionist. She hooked me up with an appointment for Tuesday. They had a cancellation and the job was done Monday. Wife & daughter were ecstatic.

Description of Work
Replace HVAC capacitor

Work Completed On 07/28/2019

01/22/2019

Tech arrived promptly, had correct tools and supplies, was professional in his knowledge and attitude.

Description of Work
Furnace check

Work Completed On 08/20/2019

01/22/2019

Of the 3 estimates I had (Home Depot, True Energy and Hassler), Hassler was recommended by a good friend who is a business owner and knows the Bay Area business climate. Hassler provided the best price by far, and I felt very comfortable with them. Mr. Robert Mitchell explained what I needed and didn't need. The 2 others recommended replacing all my ducting, which would have driven up the costs considerably. And since my ducting had only a thin wrap of insulation, he recommended covering that with better insulation, which I did myself. The installation went well, though it took a little longer than they had originally estimated. They did a good job or routing all the misc pipes for drainage and exhaust of the heater after consulting with me about the routes. They ran out of time to bolt the furnace to the cement floor of my basement ( earthquake safety feature), but said they would return after my inspection to do that and anything additional the inspector found The installation inspection went well, and the inspector did not find anything additional. The one hiccup in the process was when they sent an inexperienced tech out to drill the holes in the concrete to mount the furnace to the floor. He didn't have the right drill bits to drill through the concrete and apparently rebar that was in the concrete. He seemed unsure of how to proceed. I told him I thought I had the tools to finish the job, and if he would leave me the screws & brackets, I would finish. Later that day, I found I didn't have the correct bits to drill the holes either. I called Hassler back and they sent another tech out to finish the job. Great job Hassler!

Description of Work
Replace old furnace.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac,insulation,asbestos removal,energy audit

Work Completed On 04/12/2018

Review for Hassler Heating & Air Conditioning - 1537 S 56th St, El Cerrito, CA - 37671058

12/15/2017

For quotes process, I saw Mike Hassler himself on October 2. I also saw two other companies: ABC and Nahman. Nahman's estimator would only quote for a full system replacement, for more than $10k, and ABC, while helpful, felt like it was too far away (in the South Bay). Also Mike at Hassler convinced me of his and his company's expertise during the quote process. Mike made it seem like a small, agile operation, but upon working with the rest of the company, there is at least one bookkeeper, one appointments arranger, a construction manager, and at least two installers besides him. The reason I mention this is that while Mike made me feel well taken care of, he was difficult to reach after his first visit and quote. Another detail lost in the company process was that Mike said he could arrange the work "within a couple of weeks" (which I wanted) but when his quote went through his company process, it was 2 1/2 months. One of the things he and I discussed during his first visit was building out my air return housing and installing a proper return grate. But that didn't make it onto the quote in precisely those terms. Mike used more general language in the quote and didn't revise the quote when I asked him about it, just saying, verbally "Yes, that's covered." This put me in a bind later, which I will explain. Ultimately, the company handled it in a way I think was more than fair. But leaving me feeling like I was left in the lurch for a couple of hours wasn't the best. Anyhow, there was a delay, first, where the company's bookkeeper was waiting for my 10% downpayment, and I didn't know it. After I worked that detail out with them (around 10/25/2017), a month had already gone by and the appointments maker delayed the process again by first making an appointment with me for a "pre-construction site visit" (scheduled for 2 1/2 weeks after I made the payment - 11/16/2017) and then, with little apology, cancelling it a day before it was supposed to happen (11/15/2017) saying that it didn't need to happen. (In fact, it did, because of the bind I mentioned previously.) Their next appointment was available another month later, on 12/14/2017, when the work actually happened. During the actual construction, the company sent one worker, which was fine - I was expecting he would take 4 to 8 hours. We mutually understood and agreed on all but the air intake work. For the air intake, Mike Hassler said he would include in the quote language for doing light carpentry and building out the air intake frame so that a proper grate could be installed on it. It takes up the bottom 2 feet of my linen closet, and is well situated in a central location in my house. When he sent the original quote, I couldn't find the language in the quote, so I asked Mike about it on 10/14/2017, and Mike called and said it was included and I shouldn't worry. So, being a trusting sort, I didn't worry. During the walkthrough prior the worker doing the actual repairs, he called that out, saying that he wasn't lead to believe that was part of the work. He said he would call Mike and work it out and let me know where we stood on that. A couple of hours later, he said that another Hassler truck was bringing the grate, and a few hours after that, it was clear that the company was planning on supporting that part of the quote, and doing the work. So it turned out well, but I hate feeling like I'm paying for being trusting, even for a few hours. I was worried it was my fault for not handling the quote/contract right, and that sucks. I'd even started making plans with a handyman to do the work separately, not knowing how Hassler would eventually handle it. The quality of the work was top-notch. The worker was careful to talk with me about how I wanted the grid installed, and he did it well. He also talked with me about the details of the work he would do, then did the work as promised. He communicated well, both arranging for a good lunch time for him, keeping it short, and also working with me to test parts of the system as he worked on it, and having me come down to the basement a few times to review work in progress and explain what was going on. My only two issues were: - The carpentry on my air intake return was not included in the written quote, and not transmitted as institutional knowledge about my construction, which put me, for a few hours, in a tough spot. - My urgency with this job was not transmitted or considered a priority by the company beyond Mike, the quote guy/owner, and the worker himself, so the actual construction didn't happen until 2 1/2 months after I received the quote, even though I kept pushing for quicker service. Aside from that, the work was good and the process (although slow) was effective.

Description of Work
Duct replace, duct repair, duct sealing, insulation replace/repair/installation, air filter install, air intake repair/install

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac,insulation,metal restoration

Work Completed On 12/14/2017

09/27/2017

After getting a nice note to call for an appointment, I called back and was told that they are no longer able to handle new work in SF! Angies' List -> please remove this vendor

Description of Work
Needed a quote for a new AC system in SF.

Work Completed On 09/27/2017

06/28/2017

Chris was on time, professional and very knowledgeable. He is high proficient and provided me with pertinent information on the unit without my having to ask. I appreciate the service I received today and I will be using Hassler Heating and Cooling for my future servicing needs.

Description of Work
Central Heating Check Up-Maintenance and replacement of thermostat.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Heating & air conditioning repair, furnace & A/C replacement, maintenance plans, home energy audits approved for Energy Upgrade Ca rebates, air sealing, wall and attic insulation, water heaters, solar solutions, vapor barriers

ask for details.