DAN TOLSON CONSTRUCTION

Founded 2005 • With Angi since May 2006

1505 Notre Dame Drive

Davis, CA 95616

I generally only work in and around Davis, but will occasionally venture outside our fair republic to work elsewhere. I am focused on providing excellent quality work, great service and work at a fair price. I have 5 employees. Bids are free. I'm a decent, educated, articulate individual who

01/19/2020

Scott C.

We hired him in the fall of 2018 to remove a non-load bearing wall and rewire some light switches built in to the wall. He did the job fine enough, no major issues, but failed to get the project permitted. We then spent the next 6 plus months following up with him to get the permitting process completed. We spoke with home over phone, exchanged dozens of texts, even ran into him in person and every time he assured us he would get the permit taken care of. He never did and still hasn’t. Job left undone.

Description of Work
Remove an interior wall and rewire electrical

Category electrician, remodeling

05/02/2017

Camille M.

Well. Always confident with their work.

Description of Work
Diagnosed a roof leak, and performed a very thorough repair.

Category drywall, gutter repair, handyman service, house painters

06/05/2016

Yayoi W.

I found this contractor at Angie's List in March, saw good reviews, and so called to get free estimate for my remodeling project. He sounded professional and nice, and I made an appointment for him to stop by. He never showed up. On May 29 I send a message from Angie's List to ask for some handyman work. I have received no reply.

Description of Work
No show for free estimate. No reply to my message at Angie's List.

Category handyman service, remodeling

06/05/2016

Paula B.

There is one word for this guy: GOLDDIGGER! If you don't live in Davis, forget about haing him call you back. I live in Woodland, a mere 15 mins away, but I guess that's not good enough for him. He would rather work in Davis only because that's where the rich people live. If you ask references, his reply will be "well you found me in Angie's list didn't you?" Apparently asking that question is a complete insult to him. If you don't live in Davis, then don't waste your time calling this guy. He won't return your call. If you do live in Davis, stay away from him, because he only wants your money. Good service? HA!

Description of Work
Absolutely nothing. No call back recieved.

Category home remodeling

Stephanie M.

I am already planning my next project with Dan. He listens carefully to what your hope/expectations are for the work you would like done -- he is able to make recommendations and create a plan . He is able to explain in simple terms what the problems are and solution options... He and his team completed all steps of the renovations/repairs with minimal interruption to my household and worked around my schedule... I am EXTREMELY pleased with his work.

Description of Work
Replaced/up-dated lighting in kitchen lighting system in kitchen, repaired exterior and interior roof leak in living room

Category electrician, handyman service, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

Amber W.

Let me first start out by saying we are extremely PICKY about who we let work on our home. Being Do-It-Yourselfers, we have enough knowledge to spot bad work. I am only interested in hiring contractors whose work I don't have to question, i.e. did they cut corners?? With Dan and his crew, I have piece of mind that the work is quality. Restoring a neglected, vintage home has been an enjoyable experience because of Dan Tolson Construction.

Description of Work
Electrical work (ceiling fans & outdoor light fixtures) 12/2015 Kitchen remodel using Ikea cabinets - 11/2014 EXTENSIVE dry rot repair while getting a new roof - 03/2014 Custom gas fireplace design & build - 01/2014 Complete gut & remodel of bathroom 2/2012

Category contractors, electrician, lighting, remodeling, fireplaces, woodworking, ceiling fans, home remodeling

John B.

Tolson Construction completed the work in a timely manner and a great deal of professionalism. Dan Tolson assisted us from the beginning in our selection of appliances in terms of what would and would not work within the space constraints that we had. He also informed us thoroughly prior to making a contract of possible problems that could occur during the installations which might cause minor alterations in the quoted price and the approximate cost of dealing with those problems should they arise. Since Dan Tolson has worked for me in the past on a full bathroom renovation, which resulted in a stunning new bathroom, from a former small and dingy space, I trust him completely in his judgment and his professionalism. As he had foreseen the installation of the new stainless steel sink was more difficult than he had anticipated due to some very difficult needed alterations to the existing counter tile (this tile also effected the installation of the dishwasher in a lessor degree). He immediately informed me of the problem and we discussed any overruns, which ended up being minimal considering the extensive time expended on delicate tile cutting and buffing that needed to be done. His crew did all of this with painstaking detail and the finished product looks fabulous.

Description of Work
Dan Tolson and his crew performed a kitchen upgrade for us. This included replacing the sink and faucet, which entailed some difficult tile work, replacing the garbage disposal and old piping, replacing the existing built-in dishwasher, installing a new cook top and exhaust hood, and making some adjustments on the existing cabinets.

Category plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

Jennifer A.

Dan is easy to work with and takes his time to explain his bid, why he's doing the job the way he's doing it, etc. He is very professional, conscientious, and fair. On the several occasions we've used him, he has noticed other little problems in our home and he's taken care of them free of charge. He has also given us free advice on how to take care of other house-related problems. For example, we have a leak in one of our outside pipes, and he took the time to explain to my husband how the problem should be repaired, so that we can save money doing it ourselves.His team is also very skilled, conscientious, and professional. I give Dan Tolson my highest recommendation! The only B grade I gave Dan is because he sometimes isn't immediately responsive. He's quite busy and will always respond; it just may take a little while sometimes.

Description of Work
Dan and his team installed a soaker tub for us in one of our bathrooms. They were very conscientious and did an excellent job. They even waited to complete the installation until they had a chance to speak with our tile guy about how he would prefer they orient the tub to deal with our uneven floor. They also did some work on the exterior of our home, which I will detail in another review. An excellent job as well!

Category handyman service, home remodeling

Petar S.

I had a bunch of projects around the house from bathroom remodeling to electrical. Dan and his crew do a great job. They took care of minor details, were on time and are very professional. I will use them for future projects.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel, electrical, ceiling fans, other projects

Category drywall, handyman service, lighting, ceiling fans, home remodeling

Erin F.

After having Dan do some repairs several years ago, we knew we wanted him to do some remodeling for us. We had hoped to get the bathroom done the summer before it was done, but Dan was booked solid. So he made the effort to work with us the following summer. The work was excellent--Dan helped with cabinet configuration and ordering. The tile design and work is beautiful. Everyone in Dan's crew is courteous and professional.

Description of Work
Bath remodel--install new cabinets, tub, lighting, fan, tile, paint, floor

Category electrician, handyman service, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, ceiling fans, home remodeling, interior painters

Erin F.

We were happy to have Dan and his crew after having them dofantastic bath remodel the summer before. They did complete demo on the kitchen and Dan helped us plan and did cabinet consturction of Ikea cabinets. He spent an afternoon with us at Ikea helping us get the right configuration. We are very happy with the result. Dan helped us create more storage in a very small galley kitchen with limited options. This is something we know we can expect when working with Dan. He iis always very helpful in every step of the project. He listens and is a creative problem solver. Dan and his crew are also great to have around. We have pets--one very sensitive dog and a reclusive cat--so we are always concerned about having people working in the house. Dan's guys are polite, personable and hardworking. They won over the dog almost immediately. Finally, we absolutely trust Dan--and have confidence in his work.

Description of Work
Kitchen remodel with appliance installation some custom storage solutions. New cabinets, painting, new lighting, new circuit microwave

Category electrician, lighting, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

09/23/2015

Hans V.

Dan Tolson first came to my house to inspect the old microwave and new microwave to make sure the job would go well. Once he did, he gave me flexible options for the installation times. He was able to send one of his crew to install it the same day and it only took a bit over an hour. Once finished, the handyman was considerate and vacuumed and cleaned the work area. He also did a great job at adjusting the front door in order to make it lock more easily. Thank you.

Description of Work
Installed a new microwave and removed the old one. Also, helped fix a problematic front door.

Category handyman service, doors

09/02/2015

Lynda W.

Warren Hawley showed up as promised in spite of a crisis in his family. He was very polite and considerate. He fixed my front door so that I could lock it without using 2 hands, and it took him no time to do it! He then set up his ladder to get to the attic vent and I left him alone to remove the old fan there. He came to tell me that the fan had been improperlly installed and discussed what he would do. I agreed and he proceeded to remove it. He even threw the pieces in the garbage for me.

Description of Work
Removed an old, nonworking, attic vvent fan. Adjusted the front door so that it would lock properly.

Category electrician, handyman service, doors

05/19/2014

Dennis K.

Went very well. Dan returned my initial contact call within a day I believe. Quote took perhaps a week. I did check up with him on status so a little persistence was in order but not hugely so. Scheduled within a few days, with some limitations on my part. Crew of 3 showed up as scheduled. Crew was friendly and enthusiastic. Work performed was much above par, definitely met all my expectations. Crew was also very professional, and I mention this because I've been around construction people and contractors a lot and am aware of the crude and vulgar language, discussions and attitudes that can be prevalent. This crew displayed none of this. Enjoyed the experience and would use Dan and his group again.

Description of Work
Added and enhanced vents to crawl space. Involved removing some deck boards and also quite a bit of crawl space work. Inspected and evaluated foundation and support structure.

Category decks, handyman service

11/22/2013

Felicita F.

Since I've never heard from this provider, it didn't "go." Happily, I found an Angie's List "deal" with another highly rated, local company. That provider is being kind enough to come out on a weekend so I can get some of my to-do list taken care of before Thanksgiving. Assuming the work is as good as others have reported, I've found my handyman/ home repair & improvement person, and expect to give him a substantial amount of business in the near future. After all, some small jobs are just auditions for bigger ones...

Description of Work
I'd heard good things about Mr.Tolson from a local Davis business, & saw the ratings on Angie's List, so I tried to reach him via Angie's List and via text, as well as voicemail,. It has been a week since the first message, but I've received no reply. Perhaps there is a good reason, but this is also the basis for every negative comment I've seen for Mr. Tolson, and he hasn't responded to those complaints as far as I can see. If someone is too busy to take on work, I prefer they let me know rather than simply ignore the call. Even though his actual work is apparently quite good, his failure to respond to my inquiry puts him on my "wouldn't use or recommend" list.

09/03/2013

Marlene C.

On the date of the original scheduled estimate appointment, the Tolson did not show up. (Luckily, the appointment was scheduled for a holiday, so we didn't miss any work to meet with him.) When we called a few days later to ask him what had happened, he apologized and arranged to meet us that evening. He spent about half an hour at our house talking with us about our planned projects and promised an estimate by the end of the week. That estimate never came. Given the earlier miscommunication over the estimate appointment, we decided against further contacting Tolson.

Description of Work
The provider came to our house to discuss some concrete, drywall, and siding work and to discuss the possibility of our remodeling a stairway. He never provided the estimate he promised.

08/12/2013

Robert G.

It went perfectly fine. One of the fans is no longer working....not sure it's because of the installation or the actual fan. I've called this company to come back two business days ago....they have only responded with a request to replace the battery in the ceiling fan remote, which I have not been able to do yet.

Description of Work
Installed three ceiling fans and repaired a shower door.

Category handyman service, ceiling fans

07/15/2013

Mikos F.

No site visit nor estimate provided, nor services perfomed.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel project: We made contact by phone; Dan agreed to look at the project, then did not show up as agreed. While waiting I emailed him a scope of work and photos of the existing bathroom. I never heard from him again. Maybe he's a pro and has too much work from his high ratings on Angie's list, so I would understand if he didn't want the job. But the least he could have done was to phone me and say so rather than keep me wondering. Not considerate nor professional behavior.

Category home remodeling

06/10/2013

Amrit P.

Dan is an absolute pleasure to work with. He took my ideas and adapted them to make them better, always showed up on time and was very adaptable to my changes. He is also great at looking at unforeseen obstacles and solving them at the same time keeping within the original budget. Several issues with dry rot, air conditioning vents, bathroom extractors etc came up but were all solved and some at no extra cost. He was great at giving me prompt estimates for when I wanted to add new things and work with me remote in Sunnyvale flawlessly. At one point we realized that the stucco wall in an upstairs bedroom was letting water in, Dan was great at working with the HOA and their contractors to get things fixed and coming afterwards and completing the interior work. In terms of working with Dan it is good to have a clear idea about what you want done and be open to his suggestions. He made several that I now realize were excellent and I would not have thought of them. The quote was higher than I expected, but after the experience I have no regrets.

Description of Work
The job was to refurbish existing kitchen, clean and polish existing cabinets, counter tops, floor tiles, install a dryer vent. Refurbish the laundry room and downstairs bathroom including replace lights and ventilation. Lay new laminate floor in living area. Completely replace existing bathroom and external vanity, add an additional install a four component bathroom in the master bedroom. Add window sills to all windows, clean an paint entire inside of property.

06/06/2013

Naomi L.

Dan and his workers remodeled our upstairs bathroom and also fixed/replaced things around our house. The bathroom remodeled included changing a tub enclosure to a bathroom enclosure, new walls, painting, electrical, new toilet, installing new sink, countertop, lights, etc. While working on the bathroom, we liked their work so much that we also had them fix/install items in other parts of our house. Dan and his workers really make the effort to do high quality work and we are very happy with the results. There were about 4 different workers all of whom were professional and courteous and I felt very comfortable having them in my house. I saw the two previous reviews regarding his unresponsiveness to bids. Although that was not our experience (and what I appreciated about his bid was that it was broken down for each work item), please note that he is EXTREMELY busy right now and is working REALLY hard, working nights and even coming to our place on the weekends. So I am guessing that if something had to give, it was that he couldn't respond to bids. However, once you hire him, he does great work at a very fair price (we got two other bids and also when Dan and I had a difference of $150 on a cost of an item, right away deferred to my amount, even though I told him I could have calculated the amount wrong). We would hire him again.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel (above cost was for labor only, I provided materials), installed lighting in kitchen, new hinges on doors, fixed outside electrical socket

06/05/2013

James S.

He was nice during the estimate visit but never heard from him again.

Description of Work
Came reviewed the job over about an hour, said he would send a written quote in one week but we never heard from him again--not even after a phone follow up by us via voice mail. We ask hum to just let us know if he was not interested but no rely at all.

12/06/2012

Heather K.

Dan and his crew are great- trustworthy and dependable. Great guys that do great, quality work.

Description of Work
General "handyman" services, bathroom remodels, interior paint, windows, doors...

Category handyman service, home remodeling

12/02/2012

Suk W.

When I first called Dan regarding the leaking toilet, he promptly called me back and managed to fit me in to his schedule that same day. He quickly identified the problem with the improperly installed toilet and fixed it. I haven't had a single problem with that toilet since. He also installed 3 additional toilets. He then came back on a second day to repair dry wall damage that had occurred when tile was removed from around our hearth. He did an absolutely amazing job. You couldn't even tell that there had been a hole in the wall and grout stuck along the bottom of the dry wall. It really was impeccable work. Fortunately, he happened to come on a rainy day and noticed that water was flowing over the sides of the gutters suggesting that our downspouts were clogged. I found this perplexing because I had previously hired a roofing company to clean out all the gutters. Dan found that they had a pretty shoddy job and fixed the problem. Based on these experiences, I can say without reservation that Dan is very knowledgeable and more importantly, honest. His prices are fair but when you take into account the quality of his work, I would say his prices are a bargain. He really does excellent work; we just can't say enough about how well he fixed up our damaged wall. We were so pleased with his work that we have asked him to help us out with several other projects/fixes that we are planning.

Description of Work
Re-installed/repaired a toilet that had recently been installed incorrectly by another contractor and was continuously leaking. Installed 3 additional toilets. Repaired damaged dry wall. Re-applied texture, primed, and painted damaged wall to match the existing paint. I had previously hired another company to clean out the gutters but they had done a very sloppy job of this. Dan came in and cleaned all the gutters that were not previously cleaned correctly. He also unplugged every single downspout, which all happened to be clogged up as well.

Category drywall, handyman service, plumbing, roofing

11/17/2012

David H.

I selected Dan because of his excellent Angie's List reviews, and I certainly was glad I did! He provided a detailed estimate, and carefully communicated exactly what he would do (and not do). His work was very professional, and completed exactly when he said it would be. There was a problem (not his fault) with the 2 sinks he installed. He very willingly removed the original replaced sinks and replaced them with new ones. We were very satisfied with his work, and the price was fair. We highly recommend him!

Description of Work
Replaced faucets and drain stoppers in 2 bathrooms. Replaced 2 faucets and 2 sinks in third bathroom. Replaced faucets in kitchen and laundry sinks. Repaired shower door. Rehung large mirror in bathroom.

Category handyman service, plumbing, home remodeling

09/27/2012

Giselle M.

Dan is straightforward, honest and does high-quality work at a fair price. In the jobs he's done for me, he's been very conscientious and communicative about work details and has accommodated special requests. He answers his phone and texts promptly (but don't expect immediate email responses, esp. weekends). As he lives in Davis, he has his reputation to uphold in Davis (& surrounding communities), so he tries hard to go the extra-mile (for example, one of Dan's crew couldn't make it to a follow-up job, so Dan came to do it by himself instead of rescheduling). If you want high-quality work by someone local, who is trustworthy, flexible, and respectful (cleans-up well and recycles), consider Dan and his crew.

Description of Work
Repaired damage in kitchen and bathrooms (walls, floorboards), re-glued flooring & re-caulked to seal, completely replaced old toilets (one with crack in tank), replaced fixtures in bathrooms including sink and shower fixtures, mounted new cabinet, repaired and painted various cracks/defects in drywall, replaced high-location smoke alarm and additional minor handyman jobs (added to main jobs when time allowed).

Category drywall, handyman service, plumbing, remodeling, water damage restoration, home remodeling, interior painters