GARDELLE CONSTRUCTION & LANDSCAPE

Founded 1989 • With Angi since July 2005

2625 SINCLAIR AVE

Concord, CA 94519

Operating in the East Bay since 1989, Gardelle Construction & Landscape, Inc. has earned a reputation of exceeding our customer's expectations through quality work and superior service. We offer the following commitments: - Highest quality products available - Completion of jobs on time and within

06/23/2017

Cynthia H.

1/3 of my plants have died because of improper planting and drip system.

Description of Work
Landscape.

06/20/2017

Hilary G.

Steve was responsive to questions and feedback throughout the process as things came up and we are very satisfied with the finished product.

Description of Work
We needed a dilapidated wood deck removed. We replaced it with a raised paver patio with a seat wall. We also had a sizeable stone retaining wall put in (prior owner removed the rotting wooden retaining wall) with a French drain and steps created in the hillside behind our house.

Category landscaping, masonry, hardscaping

09/19/2016

Verner L.

Very well. The crew came on time and did everything asked at a reasonable price

Description of Work
Clean up yard

01/16/2015

Brandon C.

Steve Gardelle should teach a class on how to run a construction company - absolutely top notch. We were very picky about many things in our two projects, and he worked with us on all of it with a smile. Always responded right away to calls and emails, gave us a very fair price on everything, does top notch work, has a great staff, and on and on. I would highly recommend him for any landscape projects big or small.

Description of Work
Front walkway concrete, entire backyard construction

Category concrete repair, landscaping

12/19/2014

Walt F.

All work was done well and quickly. Any changes were handled smoothly - and there were several changes!

Description of Work
Removed and replaced (in kind) an 11 x26 foot patio arbor; installed a 16' round paver patio with 16' octagonal redwood gazebo, four stacked-block planters with irrigation, and covered surrounding area with beautiful nursery crush gravel. Steve Gardell and crew were efficient, professional, did clean and precise work and were open to changes. The project was completed in just under two weeks, including the tear-out of the old landscape. The patio roof was painted and the gazebo stained in one day. The work was done during very hot weather, but there were no delays or slowdowns due to the heat. We got three estimates, all from companies on Angie's List, and while Gardell was not the lowest price,he offered the best plan and really listened to what we wanted to get. We are very pleased with the results! We would recommend Gardelle.

Category fencing, landscaping, masonry

12/15/2014

Sherry K.

I looked at their work in the neighborhood and ends up they seem like they did a good work and they came in a big company that handle everything I needed done. I liked them a lot. They're very good. I wouldn't be hiring if it looks like they didn't do a good job. I would use them in the future.

Description of Work
I had a contract with them and they gave me an estimate.

Category concrete repair

10/10/2014

Megan V.

I sent them a message a few weeks ago, and never heard back.

Description of Work
Nothing. They never even so much as wrote back my email re: a full yard makeover. Lost them a lot of money.

Category landscaping, woodworking

09/22/2014

Steven D.

Drain system was not put in by house and flooded area when sprinklers came on. Made a feeble try to add drains but still flooded area. Never was resolved! Sprinkler system did not water all of grass.

Description of Work
New home built. He put in concrete patio and landscaping sprinkler system in backyard. Drain system also with retaining wall.

Category landscaping, irrigation systems, hardscaping

I am sorry you feel this way about the company that did the work for your home, but checking with all of our records we have never done any work for you at your home. Thank you, Steve Gardelle

09/21/2014

April P.

Excellent! So happy with Gardelle. This is the second time I have used Gardelle for my front yard landscaping. Steve, the owner, is very prompt at getting back to you with answers. The office staff, Illiana, was very helpful as well. The slate part of it took longer than anticipated, but it was not the fault of Gardelle. The slate was on a ship and hadn't arrived, so that part was delayed. The end product is beautiful. I have received compliments from my neighbors! I wanted a formal walkway through the middle of the lawn, up to the front door. Seven steps at different levels, concrete, and slate and brick. Then a walkway going to the driveway was done. Happy customer!!

Description of Work
New walkway/stairs in front of home, with lighting in stairs.

Category landscaping, lighting

04/23/2014

Deborah M.

I ultimately went with another contractor, an acquaintance, but would use Gardelle in the future.

Description of Work
The owner gave me an estimate to install sprinklers and new sod in my back yard.

Category landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems

03/28/2014

John B.

They did very well. They were very professional and very thorough. They did a great job. They were on time. They were very professional. They got the job done. My husband said that their price was very reasonable. Their quality of work was excellent.

Description of Work
I used Gardelle Construction & Landscape to do the sprinkles for me.

03/07/2014

Gary L.

Steve Gardelle and his crew were professional and highly competent, finishing a complete relandscape of a 5,000+ square foot yard in about 6 weeks. Materials and installation were of high quality, we were fully consulted about possible deviations from the architectural plans and matters not specified by the designer (such as placement of low-voltage lights), and the project was completed at the estimated cost, with a couple of minor change orders at our initiation and at reasonable cost. Best of all, Steve's bid was the lowest of the three we solicited for this project. Our only concern was that work started about 2-1/2 months after we signed the contract and about a month after the estimated start date; we attribute this not to any deficiency on the part of Gardelle construction, but to their quality and popularity at a time of high demand. We would certainly use them again.

Description of Work
Installed backyard landscaping (hardscape, beds, plant material, wood trellis, drainage and irrigation) for a yard of about 5,000 square feet, following a plan prepared by Simply Perfect Gardens.

Category landscaping, lawn service, mulch, drain pipe, hardscaping

10/11/2013

Karen T.

The whole job went very quickly once I made up my mind. Everyone knew what they were supposed to do and they had the timing on the concrete pour down pat. They did leave some things that needed to be picked up after they finished, and a little clean up on the wall. But they came out right away and took care of it.

Description of Work
Remove existing concrete. Install 40 feet of CMU block wall to retain area. Install 240 sq. feet of Broom Finished concrete. Install 40 feet of Deck-o-seal at pool concrete connection.

Category concrete repair, landscaping, masonry

09/24/2013

Amiram M.

He measured the property with his legs using steps. It was a bit unprofessional. The measurements were different from the other providers. They were here last Friday and they have not got back with the estimation.

Description of Work
We used Gardelle Construction. They came out three weeks ago. It was for an estimate. It was 5000 dollars for the cement and 5000 dollars for the porcelain tiles. It was for a patio and walkway. They will not be doing the work.

Category concrete repair, decks, concrete driveways

09/05/2013

David C.

I got several bids for this project. I thought Steve's price was fair and he seemed very knowledgeable when we spoke. I particularly liked that he had several different idea for how to complete my project and had a definite and quot;can doand quot; attitude. Steve prepared for me a detailed quote for the work I wanted done. While deciding what I could afford to do immediately i emailed him several questions which he answered for me and gave me several different options. He told me the different building supply providers he worked with and I went and picked out my own stone for the front patio. We signed a contract. I was impressed with the thoroughness of the contract and how the different parts of the job were broken out so i could see exactly what I was paying for. It took awhile to get on the schedule to get the work done but I recognize summer is a busy time for contractors so i was willing to wait. On the appointed day the workman showed up exactly on time and were courteous and pleasant to have around. There were 3 workers. Steve and I walked around and reviewed what was going to be done, the materials were delivered and the job commenced. i had to leave for the day and I felt very comfortable that things would go smoothly. When I returned home late that evening I was not completely satisfied with how the stone was being laid for the front patio. I took photos and emailed Steve that evening. I received a prompt response and the next morning when the workers showed up, again exactly on time, there was a new stone mason. He moved the stones I didn't like and did a beautiful job of laying out the pathway. The fence and the pergola look great. The whole job was completed in 2 days. Excellent service, very skilled workman. I am very happy with the work done on my house. I will definitely use Gardelle construction in the future.

Description of Work
Replaced back gate, installed a new 11 foot redwood fence and gate across the driveway, placed gate and short fence with an arched gate and pergola, and laid a flagstone patio for the front entry.

08/27/2013

Richard H.

Their prices were fair. They gave us a drawing and he seemed to know what he was doing. He's been in the business for over thirty years. We liked his ideas. They were responsive. He got back to us right away when he said he was going to.

Description of Work
We may go with Gardelle Construction & Landscape to put in our patio. We received a quote from them.

Category landscaping, lawn service

08/14/2013

Don B.

Good follow up on request for their services. Provider informed me that they do not do drainage pipes for gutters.

Description of Work
no work comleted.

06/12/2013

Stan S.

The job is more than we can afford at this time however he was willing to help by recommending which portions to perform first then do more at a later date. A bit on the pricey side so am still looking for someone maybe a bit more local. I would however, recommend Steve, he is very professional and by all appearances and past jobs, his work seems top notch.

Description of Work
Steve came out and provided an estimate, was very professional and answered all my questions. Was on time and followed up without my needing to contact him. He was one of only two that actually followed up.

02/20/2013

Chris G.

The job was bid in Nov, but work could not be scheduled by the contractor until January. When it finally did start, there were several delays due to workers being sick or unavailable. Ultimately things were not completed until late Feb; three months after a quote was provided. Weather was a factor in one or two cases, but I think you can do the math: this took a long time. The price was competitive, which we were happy about. The restructuring of the deck went well; also good to see. We found a can of wood stain from the previous home owner that we thought would be a suitable re-finisher for the deck, but without any special prep work by the contractor that ended up looking awful - the old shards of paint were clearly visible. We took responsibility for our part in making that happen, but some professional advice would have prevented the problem in the first place. Plus they left nails sticking up, and were ready to call the job done. We ended up paying for materials and incremental labor to re-finish the deck. When it was finally done, the crew did not replace items that they had removed until I pushed them them to do so. That is part of professional work, I found the whole thing to be ridiculous. Overall the job took far more time and effort than it should have, and I ended up paying more than was agreed to in the contract. Timely completion of work and good advice are 2 important qualities of a good contractor, and neither was apparent here.

Description of Work
Replace boards and underpinnings on deck, and refinish deck.

Category decks

02/14/2013

Jeffry P.

Steve is customer oriented and high energy. With his experience he was able to quickly pull together a plan to transform our very plain all concrete backyard with 3 planter beds, a good sized yard, Connecticut Bluestone for the patio portion and a slightly elevated deck. He came to our home several times and revised his bid as the scope changed. Steve has a good feel for the types of plants and trees that will perform well in your local climate. He chose some great plants and trees for us. When they arrived he quickly identified substandard plants and ones that would not work for us and exchanged them readily. His crews were punctual and cleaned up at the end of each day. From the start of demolition to the final trimout, Gardelle construction crews worked hard full days. They do very good work. Their carpenters and stone workers are craftsmen. Steve was very responsive (emails or phone calls) to our questions and concerns as the project progressed. The billing was easy with Invoices sent out at predetermined points in the construction process. We established a cred card on file with them and then authorized payment when we were satisfied that the work or services detailed on the invoices had been performed. We are very pleased with the end result. We now have an Oasis just outside our back door.

Description of Work
Gardelle Construction performed a complete backyard makeover that included building a deck, installing flagstone patio, 3 planter beds, sod, 2 planter boxes, sprinkler systems for the sod and plants, demolishing a shed, removing a flagstone walkway and replacing with concrete (front yard), building a stone stormwater diversion wall (front yard), hauling away old items and moving our hottub. Steve Gardelle came to our home several times during the estimating/bidding process to redraw the plan for our backyard to ensure we were getting what we wanted. We are very pleased with the results.

Category concrete repair, decks, concrete driveways, fencing, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, mulch, woodworking, drain pipe, hardscaping

04/12/2012

Betty L.

Very pleased with beautiful outcome, work, prices. They delivered on promises. Crews worked very hard were focused/courteous and office staff great. Communication good during bidding but could be improved once the work starts i.e. inform client of who point person is for crews etc. Office staff good at getting answers to questions.

Description of Work
Removed concrete driveway & installed a new paver driveway, porch, steps & walks. Installed stone veneer to front facade & custom mailbox. Front, side landscape clean-up & some planting. On-going maintenance.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

01/27/2012

Betty B.

I am a little unhappy with Gardelle Construction and Landscape Company. It was an emergency and they asked me to wait awhile, which I did. They gave me 2 different prices. We had a disagreement as to what the service was supposed to cover. I would not use them again. They did what they said they were going to do. They are a little pricey.

Description of Work
Gardelle Construction and Landscape came to fix my sprinkler system, there wasn't enough water pressure and was making a loud noise.

01/09/2012

BARBARA & KENNETH H.

I didn't go with them because he was kind enough to tell me what I had to do. He just told me how to do it and I fixed it myself. He could have very easily finagled me and I could have hired him and he could have done it, but instead, he told me what I could do to fix it. He was very professional. I had some leakage. He pretty much told me how to find it and fix it, rather than him doing it, so it was kind of neat. I would definitely recommend him.

Description of Work
I had someone from Gardelle Construction & Landscape come over to look at some leakage problems that I had with my irrigation.

08/03/2011

Linda S.

As mentioned previously, the project went very well. I thought scheduling of the various project pieces was well planned. There were a few delays that were unavoidable. The project manager/owner was very good about checking with me when there were issues or changes that needed to be discussed. I got plenty of feedback about any cost changes during the project.

Description of Work
The entire yard, front and back needed considerable work including a general yard cleanup, some deck removal, some deck repair, repair and beautification of a retaining wall, a new set of stairs, swimming pool fill in and repurposing, and installation of a sprinkler system. The project manager/ owner listened carefully to what I wanted and offered very good suggestions. Costs were kept within reason. The workmanship was good. All the workers were good to deal with. I am continuing to use the company for biweekly property maintenance. I am very happy with the results!

Category decks, landscaping, lawn service, masonry, hardscaping

06/08/2011

Maria P.

They were easy to talk to and their prices conformed to that of others. I thought that they were fairly easy to work with. They were very responsive.

Description of Work
Gardelle Construction & Landscape gave me a quote for putting in a patio and some landscaping in my backyard.

Category landscaping, hardscaping