Dakini Engineering General Contracting

Founded 1999 • With Angi since August 2009

435 Montclair St

Chula Vista, CA 91911

We are the premiere foundation, landslide and drainage repair company in San Diego. We have been serving San Diego home and Business owners successfully with an excellent reputation since 1999. We offer the finest plans and designs in the industry. Our work is of the highest quality of workmanship and professionalism. Our goal is always excellence in construction. Our men are well trained and are mature, well mannered and polite at all times. All employee's speak English and have been with the company for over 5 years typically. Our employee's are the most trustworthy and loyal in the City. We sub contract our very little, what we do sub contract is to subs that we have a long term relationship with and will always take care of our customers as their first priority. All jobs have a on site supervisor at all times. Our job sites are the neatest and cleanest in the industry. We carry a 2 million dollar general liability insurance policy to protect our customers. We have never had a claim for damages caused by us. Our job is to make our customer happy with the final contracted product. We have never had a customer complaint about our company. We are in good standing with the BBB and have taken the Integrity Pledge on the web site "The New IQ". ...

09/09/2016

Neill C.

THE WHOLE REPAIR PROCESS WENT EXTREMELY WELL. THIS IS AN ENGINEERING AND REPAIR FIRM, WHICH IS WHAT I NEEDED. DAKINI WORKED WITH A STATE LICENSED ENGINEER, MARTIN OWEN, AND THEY ARE A GREAT COMBINATION. DAKINI TOOK LASER MEASUREMENTS OF THE HOUSE, AND DEVELOPED CAD DRAWINGS, BASED ON THE DRAWINGS AND MEASUREMENTS TAKEN BY DANA ANSELL, CEO. THESE DRAWINGS WERE INCORPORATED INTO A STATEMENT OF WORK (SOW), AND CHANGES WERE DOCUMENTED IN UPDATED SOW'S. THE REPAIRS CONFORMED EXACTLY TO THE REPAIR DESIGN AND SOW. DAKINI INSTALLED THIRTY-EIGHT STEEL PILES, A GRADE BEAM AROUND THE PERIMETER OF THE HOUSE, AND A ROBUST DRAINAGE SYSTEM. ALL WORK WAS DIRECTLY MANAGED BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY, BILL P.. HE IS EXPERT IN THIS WORK, AND AN EXCELLENT PROJECT MANAGER. THE DAKINI WORKING STAFF ARE SOME OF THE BEST I HAVE WORKED WITH, SIMPLY OUTSTANDING. I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS SORT OF WORK AGAIN, EVER! BUT, IF I HAD TO, I WOULD CONTACT DAKINI ENGINEERING. THEIR WORK IS OF THE HIGHEST CALIBER. WHEN YOU HAVE THE SORT OF FOUNDATION PROBLEMS I DID, DAKINI IS THE SORT OF COMPANY YOU WANT TO DO THE WORK TO PRESERVE THE INVESTMENT IN YOUR HOME.

Description of Work
THE SLAB FOR MY HOUSE BROKE DUE TO SETTLEMENT. THE BREAK RAN ACROSS THE HOUSE, AND WAS A SERIOUS PROBLEM. ALSO, THE DRAINAGE SYSTEM WAS NO LONGER FUNCTIONAL DUE TO PENETRATION OF ROOTS FROM TREES IN THE BACKYARD.

Category concrete repair, drain pipe, foundation repair

03/02/2016

Michelle K.

We met with Dana and I was immediately impressed with his promptness. His knowledge was even more impressive. He took the time to explain all of the issues that we were having due to the lack of adequate water proofing. He could have easily talked us into a very high priced solution to our water proof problem but instead, he gave us ideas to make our home ?water resistant?. Thank you Dana for all of your information!

Description of Work
Examined our home and identified the problems related to the lack of waterproofing

Category basement waterproofing, foundation repair

01/01/2016

Ava H.

11/27/2015

sally O.

Description of Work

Category excavators, tree service, home builders, drain pipe

10/21/2015

Diane S.

Description of Work
Dakini came out and did a foundation inspection for a client. The proposal and scope of work were way out of line for the repairs required.

Category home builders, foundation repair

Unfortunately the person who wrote the review was a real estate agent who was looking for a cheap repair to sell the house. They were not interested in a comprehensive experienced repair of the property. It's unfortunate she felt the need to write a poor review. For the design work and cost analysis we did for her and her client. We did not perform a repair on this home. We have repaired over 10,000 homes in San Diego over the past 32 years.

10/02/2015

Beneta B.

I live in La Jolla where the soils are really bad and there is always concern about soil instability and house movement. When removing the carpeting to replace with hardwood floors, we noticed there was a half inch crack, known as cold joint separation. I called Dakini Engineering and left a message. Dana Ansell called me right back and was incredibly helpful with his advice. After describing the nature of the crack and geotechnical reports that I had received about this house, he put my mind at ease. He explained to me that this is not a structural problem, only a cosmetic. I asked him if his company can do the repair needed. He was very honest and stated that for the type of foundation issue I am having a general contractor or even a handyman can take care of it and that I would be financially better off utilizing their services. He was so helpful as to say that whoever I hire, he is happy to guide him over the phone as to how to do the repair. Thank you Dana for all your explanations and the sound advice you gave me.

Description of Work
Dana Ansell provided very sound advice on a cracked slab that I had found in my foundation.

08/21/2012

Keren B.

They were very understanding of our situation (we have a deadline since the new room was for babies on the way) and were accommodating in getting the process started. Dana Ansell, the CEO, spent time with us understanding the requirements, then assigned the drafter to the project who he felt would be best suited to getting the plans drawn up in a timely manner and in a way so as to likely pass the city permit approval process as expeditiously as possible. Since this is in fact what happened (part of the project was approved on the spot, the other needed only minor changes and took less than two weeks I believe), we were very happy with the choice. He maintained contact with the contractors (who he had recommended and who we hired) along the way so that they would be aware of when work could start so we wouldn't experience a long wait after approvals were issued.Later once the contractors had begun the work, there was some additional engineering work that had to be done since apparently the builders of the house did not install something the way they should have, so there was a need to do some calculations of whether the proposed load of the new floor area could be supported. The Dakini engineer responded quickly, multiple times at the request of the city inspector, to provide the necessary information to allow the project to move forward.From the start we were impressed with the level of knowledge exhibited, the attention to detail, and the responsiveness and willingness to accommodate our schedule. Though I hope it's a long time before our next major house project (!), if and when the time comes I'll look forward to working with them again.

Description of Work
Dakini Engineering drew up the plans for our planned remodel, which included enclosing an open area into a bedroom, and adding in a new floor area in a space that had been open from the bottom floor to the 2nd floor ceiling. It involved measuring the entire house and drawing plans to apply for city building permits, as well as some follow-up evaluation/calculations when some assumptions about how the house was built did not pan out once some walls were opened.

Category picture framing, remodeling, architect

Member, It was a pleasure to work with you and your husband. Even with the difficulty of multiple inspectors from the city not communicating professionally, we were able to satisfy all and keep your porject on schedule. Dana Ansell, CEO

02/23/2012

Polly T.

Dakini Engineering General Contracting?s write up on Angie?s list and on their website promises excellence and outstanding customer service. Dana Ansell may be a competent engineer, however because he failed so completely to live up to his promise of customer service, I question everything else he has claimed.. Dana Ansell the owner and engineer of Dakini Engineering had a chip on his shoulder before he even reached me to discuss my job. We had some difficulty reaching each other. I made three phone calls over more than a week, each time leaving both my home phone and my cell phone number. I got one phone message back 5 days after my 1st call where Mr. Ansell complained to me that he had tried to reach me 4 times, but as I was so difficult to reach he felt it would be too hard to do business with me. I called him back and apologized for the problems he?d had reaching me but said I?d only gotten this one message. He claimed my answering machine was acting up so he hadn?t left messages the three other times he called. As I?d received other messages over the course of the week, I wasn?t sure this was the problem, but decided to let this go and instead began to describe the problem that I was having with erosion on a steep slope, and indicated that I?d like his opinion regarding what should be done and how much it would cost. Mr. Ansell immediately took issue with my phraseology, and went on a rant about how he was a professional and he didn?t give opinions for free and that it would cost $350 for him to come out to give me a bid. As both his web site and his Angie?s listing indicate he does not charge for estimates (except in the case of foundation repair work), I was a bit taken aback, but in the interest of trying to fully understand, I asked if I used his company to do the job, would this $350 be credited back against the cost of the job. He again went on a rant about how he didn?t work for free, and that his time was valuable. Mr. Ansell clearly blamed me for not being available when he called, and clearly felt I was trying to take advantage of his knowledge and skills. His attitude and style of communication was rude to the point of being abusive. I am sorry if others have made Mr. Ansell?s life difficult, or taken advantage of his knowledge and skills without compensation. However, I realized that I didn?t want to deal with a contractor who was so focused on blaming me for real or imagined problems before we?d even begun a job.

Description of Work
I am in the process of getting bids for an erosion problem on a steep slope at the back of my property. I was anticipating that the work would require a large retaining wall or several smaller retaining walls. I believe the job will cost well over $10,000

Category concrete repair, mudjacking

Dear Member, I appreciated your attempt at blaming me for your difficutl personality and difficutl to reach at varisous times. I've never had such a comment or even long comment as yours in my total 28 year career. The length of your message and the negative attitude that you have shown in your long winded negative remarks is why I didn't want to do business with you. I applogize that you may not undetrstand that it takes two to cooperate. When a person projects such negativity, it's typically disowned personal anger being placed on the person they are dealing with. I'm happy I diagnoised you correctly and did't enter into a work agreement with you.

Advanced Sprinkler & Drainage Repair

What our customers think: "I have been using Advanced Sprinkler and Drainage Repair over the last 8 years, I highly recommend them. The customer service we receive is impeccable. The work and the customer service we receive is what keeps me a returning customer every time." "I have been a customer of ASDR for many years. They are responsive, thorough and always ready to propose a solution to make my sprinklers more efficient. I have happily referred them to others for any sprinkler or drainage issue." "It has been a real pleasure working with Advanced Sprinkler. Over the last two years I have had various works done. Your team is excellent from start to finish--the front office, scheduling and the work are all top rate!"

Offers by Advanced Sprinkler & Drainage Repair on Angi
    SD Garage Doors, Epoxy Floors and More

Advanced Building and Construction

*Call us today for a FREE estimate* We specialize in full remodels, kitchen and bath remodels, basement remodels, flooring installation, home additions and much more! With over 20 years of experience we ensure that the job is completed in a timely manner with exceptional quality!

Check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express

Foundation inspections, Foundation(new, repair & replacement), Concrete, masonry, retaining walls, landslide repairs, drainage repairs, water proofing, Demolition, Grading, Excavation, Design build, Remodeling, second stories, Additions, Framing, structural repairs, Decks, Plans, Permits, City side walks/curb and gutters, Under ground utilities, Construction management, Construction Forensic investigations, Manometer Floor Level Surveys, Architectural services, Engineering Services