California Shutters & Shades

Founded 2001 • With Angi since October 2010

3146 Tiger Run Ct Ste 104

Carlsbad, CA 92010

We are a family owned window covering business. Our family has been in this business since 2001. We don't use any subcontractors. We are industry certified installers by Hunter Douglas. License #796460 WE OFFER A 10% DISCOUNT TO ALL ANGIES LIST MEMBERS*! Please call today to recieve your free in

01/03/2018

Janet P.

Brad (owner), Ron and Cooper (installers) were highly professional, prompt, friendly, helpful and communicative. The product is outstanding as well. We are highly pleased and have already referred them to someone else.

Description of Work
We had plantation shutters installed throughout our home.

Category interior designers

08/10/2017

Roberta D.

Woman they sent out to take my order was not at all nice. When there was the first problem, she came out, and was NOT happy about it. Two very nice young men came out to finish the project. They had never seen a valance before, cut it all wrong, said they would come back when they knew what they were doing. Never saw them again.

Description of Work
I don't know why you keep asking me to review this company when I already have. Job was never completed. I wrote the problem in my review, and shortly after I received an email from them that I owed them money. I told them that I would gladly pay the balance once the job (which I explained what was needed) finished. I never heard back from them.

02/27/2017

Teresa W.

FABULOUS! Responded quickly, fixed the problem, and, in addition, explained how to adjust the shutters.

Description of Work
Shutters reattached to wall. Not only did he do as requested but also tweaked the shutters and fixed some annoying issues without being asked

Category window treatments, hurricane shutters

12/13/2016

Myra W.

The person who came over to interview and ask what we wanted was probably a C- but the person who installed them was probably a B+. The lady who interviewed came out with wrong shutters but I might have told her the wrong kind, but she had already looked at what we had so we thought we would get the same thing and we didn't and it didn't match. The installer came out and said if you do not like these you do not have to pay and we will get you the right ones and saw that we had brass hinges. We did not hear from them and then they came out with all the correct stuff, but the installer initiated all that. But she saw all of that and said this color would match, and it match fine but the type of shutters did not. It could have been me, I asked for planation and they were not plantation but she never said anything about having them match others. I took around 4 months.

Description of Work
I used California Shutters & Shades to put shutters in.

Category hurricane shutters

03/10/2016

John - Donna M.

I have used them in the past for my rentals and as always they are very professional and provide excellent quality in their work.

Description of Work
Window coverings for slider door and dining area window

11/01/2015

Norma S.

I initially contacted California Shutters and Shades in May 2015. We had just started a minor remodeling to our family room and kitchen nook. Robert Perry came out to go over window treatment options for 6 of our windows. He went over a couple of options, one of them their Hunter Douglas Palm Beach Shutters. I liked that they were made in the U.S. And had a great warranty And they looked well made, I didn't want to go with Chinese made shutters. Well, I couldn't make a choice yet as we were still in the midst of having wallpaper removed, a new T. V. Installation with ceiling mount speakers, and a coat of paint in kitchen, family room, and nook. I told Robert that I would let him know. In the meantime, I received prices and options from four other companies, from roller shades, shutters, Roman style shades, etc. I just could'nt make up my mind. In September, we were ready for the window coverings for the last touch to our rooms. I contacted Robert again, and he was kind to come visit again. I looked at the Hunter Douglas shutters a second time and said this was it. They just seemed to go with our remodeled rooms. I was thrilled to hear that they would arrive in 3 to 4 weeks. I received a call in October, three weeks after the initial order, that our shutters were in. I arranged for them to be installed the following week as I wanted our windows professionally cleaned. On October 23, John (or) Jon came out to install them. He was prompt and did an excellent job. I enjoyed our chat as he was working. Very friendly. I really liked the matching decorative window sills that complimented the shutters. John said he had never seen someone order the sills before, but he did an excellent job installing them. They add class to the shutters, although the shutters themselves are classy. I am so thrilled with the shutters. I got them with the hidden rod in the 3 1/2 inch louver. I had a folded panel over the kitchen sink as I have a tall faucet. I also wanted to be able to open the top half and bottom halves of the shutters separately. They look great in my kitchen, kitchen nook, and family room windows. I would use this company again.

Description of Work
Installed Hunter Douglas Shutters

Category window treatments

Thank you very much for for taking the time to write such a review. We appreciate your kind words and confidence that you chose the right company to do the work for you. Enjoy your shutters!

07/22/2015

Roberta D.

Although the installers were nice, the transaction, I'm sorry to say was not a pleasant experience. Genny seemed a little perturbed by my wishes for the blinds not to extend into the window and door, which I really stressed at the time of ordering, and when both the window one and the door one extended into the window and door, she had to come back. She insisted that the door was okay, so the installers did the best they could to make it happen. She was able to fix the window one, which not only had extended into the window, but was also a slat short of fitting correctly.

Description of Work
Ordered blinds on the 5th of November, hoping to get them by Thanksgiving, which Genny told me probably was not possible. They came to install them on Dec. 2nd. The fit was NOT what I stressed I wanted at all. Genny came back and remeasured and said it should have worked. Christmas, still no blinds. Finally installed, fit not great, but better, but they didn't have the double valance. Finally came back in January, but the installers, very nice, had never heard of a double valance, and had no clue how to install them. They cut one too short, so said they needed to go back and order a new one and find out how to install the double valance. Here it is July, and I've not heard from them since the January appointment. The blinds fit so-so on the door, and no one will notice the lack of the double valance, so I decided just to forget about trying to deal with them any longer. I hope to have another company install some properly fitting blinds in the future.

03/14/2015

Sofia L.

Everything was fine and I am not sure if the price is fair or not. They did send someone out to measure, give an estimate and show samples. Once that was set up, things went on smoothly. I really do not have any complaints. They did well.

Description of Work
They installed blinds for one set of window.

10/31/2014

Paula C.

Great results and product! Very happy with sales and install people. Only suggestion I'd have for the company is to not over-promise the timeline of when things will be complete, because this took way longer than what we originally understood.

Description of Work
Installed 2 sets of automatic shades- large. And shades for 3 bedrooms.

06/16/2014

Patricia L.

Prompt efficient and beautifully installed. Workers were neat and clean. They were recommended to me by Standard Pacific's design center....and I'd highly recommend them. I talked to two other companies who install shutters made in Asia, mine are Hunter Douglas made in USA for less money.

Description of Work
Installed shutters on twelve Windows.

03/27/2014

Lee W.

Did a great job. Very professional people and the shutters are high quality and look great.

12/27/2013

Brandon C.

Met with a sales rep named Tylor. He was knowledgeable and friendly. He showed up on time, and had plenty of samples and answers to all of our questions! Received the 10% discount promised from Angies List. We were very happy with his professional demeanor. He provided a comprehensive quote on the spot, and we felt it was competitive and fair. He gave us a time frame for installation and we signed our purchase agreement. The cost was half of what our builder quoted us with higher quality shutters! Would recommend!

Description of Work
Provided quote for shutters for the whole house. 28 windows. We accepted and placed a deposit.

12/08/2013

John M.

California Shutters and Shades is a family run business that seem to take great pride in their work. They came up to Murrieta from Carlsbad. the shutters they installed are absolutely beautiful. Our old ones were a mess and desperately needed replacing. I changed my mind on the color of the shutters. Fortunately, they hadn't been ordered yet and they were very accommodating. I did get blinds to match the kitchen cabinets; the rest of the house are all the same color, a beautiful creamy white called linen. Shannon runs the office with the help of her Mom (who is in training :) and her husband and father do the installation. I wasn't crazy about the salesman, but it's not like we were dating or going to be best friends, so that doesn't matter. He really knows the business and will bring the samples to your house. The price was vey reasonable and we're extremely pleased. You can't go wrong with this company. I am proud to show my house off now!

Description of Work
California Shutters is truly a professional and efficient company.

11/10/2013

JT H.

Had new blinds installed throughout my house. Great quality. Nice people.

mike C.

It was a good experience. The installer was friendly and professional, completed the work faster than I anticpated, and did a quality job with the blinds. The price was competitive, too.

Description of Work
They installed blinds.

Rachelle E.

It was a great experience. The gentleman was very friendly and trustworthy, and he did an excellent job for a fair price. I would definitely recommend his services to others.

Description of Work
He installed all of the shutters and blinds in our house.

Clare B.

Everything turned out well. Ron was very thorough and professional, easy to deal with, and did a good job with all of the installations. His price was quite reasonable as well.

Description of Work
He installed plantation shutters in our house. He also installed a Roman shade in our kitchen.

10/31/2013

Sharon H.

Everything went well. They came out to our house with several samples, listened to what we wanted, and did a great job of helping us make the right choice based on our preferences and our budget. Furthermore, the installers were always prompt, cleaned up after themselves, and did good work.

Description of Work
They installed plantation shutters and woven shades which we had purchased from them.

10/30/2013

Cynthia W.

The service went great, there was a problem but the rep made sure it got taken care of right away. He did not want to take any money until the service was completed. The installers were professional, very pleased with the service. Probably will use them again.

Description of Work
California Shutters and Shades came out and installed wooden blinds in our home.

09/23/2013

Monica W.

We knew we wanted some plantation shutters, but wanted something different for our kitchen and master bedroom. There were a few rooms in our home where we weren't sure what would look good. Ron had samples of roman shades, silhouettes, honeycomb shades, blinds, roller shades and duettes. We quickly recognized that silhouettes and roller shades were what we would use in addition to the shutters throughout our home. Ron measured all of our windows and gave us pricing within 24 hours (in many of the windows, we weren't sure what type of window covering we wanted so he priced it with 2-4 different options per window). His pricing estimate/worksheet was by window and it was very easy to pick and choose so that we could figure out which coverings we wanted within our budget. We ordered shutters for the majority of the house. Ron was able to get us these at a much lower price than any other vendor we contacted. We also ordered silhouettes with and without power, and roller shades with power. Just this morning, I just ordered another roller shade without power, silhouettes without power as well as a few more shutters. The reason that I waited was because I wanted to see what the rooms felt like in the rest of the house before I ordered the last few rooms. Ron never pressured me. Heeven pointed out the a more expensive window covering may not look as good in my dining room window because the window was installed crooked. We ended up going with it, but we really felt like Ron was looking out for us. In the end, it is very clear that California Shutters and Shades wanted us to be happy with our choices. Ron and his grandson installed all of our shutters (20 windows) in 4-5 hours. They were very courteous and neat. Ron installed the silhouettes with power on 4 windows and silhouettes without power on 2 windows in 3 hours. He also installed roller shades with power on 4 windows in about 2-3 hours. All were outstanding quality. Ron returns both calls and emails within a day, usually within a few hours. He is incredibly patient, and doesn't pressure you. He doesn't care if you order everything at once or piece meal and honors the original price quote if you do order small quantities. We did 3 separate orders and have had 3 installations with one more that we should have in the next 6 weeks. The silhouettes and shades are Hunter Douglas which manufactures in the US and the delivery time is within 3-4 weeks. The shutters were from another manufacturer out of China and took about 7 weeks to be delivered. We were a little worried, but the quality of the Chinese shutters are every bit as good as the Hunter Douglas, but at a much lower price. Overall, we've been happy with the service that we received as well as the quality of the product. We have had follow up questions on the power shades and Ron is quick to answer them. He also explained how they work very clearly for us.

Description of Work
We moved into a new home and needed window coverings for ~30 windows throughout the house.

08/13/2013

Debra R C.

It was great. They were really accommodating, very prompt and their service was very courteous. I've had them come out twice. The most recent time was near the 4th of July. The first time they put up a blind, the second time it was Roman Shades.

Description of Work
I used California Shutters and Shades to do my window treatments.

01/22/2013

JENNIFER R.

I called and left a voicemail explaining what I needed, and never even received a call back. I am not going to keep trying to get a job done, however small, if aompany doesnt want my business.

Description of Work
Remove existing shutter o a french door and reinstall on a replacement french door.

12/04/2012

WILLIAM H.

After two attempts they decided they could not match the color and to issue us a refund. They said they would send a check which seemed odd since the deposit had been made by credit card. The check did not arrive. They said they would issue a new check and that did not arrive. After over a week of "the checks in the mail" I opened a dispute with my credit card company. After about three days I received the credit on my credit cardSle

Description of Work
California Shutters came to measure our remodeled home for shutters. They seemed very professional and I was impressed. The shutters required a custom color match to match the window trim. They accepted our $3000 deposit by credit card and started the color match process.

Category window treatments

First off as a business owner I have been part of Angie's List for many years and have never had a report like this. When we first met with the customer we went over many different products for their beautiful remodeled home. All of the windows were arched shaped windows and we advised them the best way for us to do the job was for us to remove their molding and put our custom moldings on that match the shutters exactly. They told us that was not an option to remove the existing molding. So I said we can do our best to do a custom color match to your molding. Even though their molding on the arches was not wood but its a painted product to look like wood. We agreed on a price and started the job. We got two different custom color samples done by the shutter manufacturer and neither sample matched well enough for me to feel comfortable to do the job. So we met with the customer and said we have two options since our color matches aren't working out. Option 1 was for us to remove their molding and use our molding that would match exact since its all made of the same material and made at the same time. Or. Option 2 was to return their money and we suggested another shutter company that manufactures their own shutters. They said it was not an option to remove their molding. So we were left with the only other option to return their money. The first time in 15 years of being in business I've ever had to do this. The customer was frustrated at first but then seemed to be grateful we offered another company that we thought could help them full fill this job. They thanked us for the lead to the other shutter company and said once they got settled into their home they would have us back to do all the other windows in the home. Without having the paperwork in front of me I said I would put the check in the mail to return their deposit. Then when I got to the office and pulled the paper work I realized they gave us a credit card. So at that point I reversed the charge on the credit card. Then a couple days later I got a call from the customers credit card company letting me know he opened a case against the charge. I explained to the credit card company that I had already reversed the charge and offered the credit card company all the info about the reversal. The customers credit card company said no problem it usually takes a week or so for the credit to post. So I asked the credit card company to please call the customer and explain that I had done what I was supposed to and it takes about a week to show up on his card. I also explained this directly to the customer. At this point I thought everything was fine between us and the customer. I knew at this point the customer had already met with the new shutter company and had signed a new contract with them to get their shutters started. I honestly was surprised to get this bad report. Based on our last conversation they thanked us again for referring this other shutter company to them and they would be calling us soon to do the remaining window coverings in their home. I know this customer had a lot of things go wrong for them on their remodel and they were very frustrated with it. So I hope their shutters have been installed and they are enjoying their new home!

09/07/2012

Judy K.

My husband and I called for an appointment on Sunday afternoon and they answered the phone. Wow, on a Sunday. We made our appointment for Monday (the next day). Brad & Ron showed up 10 minutes early (nice touch) for our appointment. We were very impressed with their knowledge of window treatments and current day fashions. After reviewing all of our options, we bought the window coverings from them. We had a few other companies come out and give us estimates. We had 1 company that was a little cheaper in price, but no way could they compete with Brad's knowledge of window coverings. We were told our products would be ready for install in 2 - 2 1/2 weeks. In 2 weeks they both showed up, removed our old window coverings (no charge), and installed the beautiful shades we selected from their numerous sample books. It was nice to have them come to our house and show the samples. We were able to place them in the window and get a real feel for the colors and light issues. They said they were a family business and that meant a lot to my husband and I. We like supporting the local business' here in San Diego County. We have referred them to a couple of family members and my husbands office. Every time one of them called, they got a quick response and great service just like we did. I will not hesitate to refer them in the future. Thanks guys, you were wonderful to deal with and you did a fantastic job in our home.

Description of Work
They showed us samples and gave us some awesome design ideas. We bought their products and in the amount of time they said the products would arrive, they installed them and instructed us on how to use them, clean them and how to contact them in the future if we needed them for service.

07/18/2012

richard P.

All the work was EXCELLENT. They get A's on everything.

Description of Work
They installed shutters in our bedroom and living room.