Sterling General Construction Inc

Founded 1991 • With Angi since May 2009

1506 Dell Ave. Ste. D

Campbell, CA 95008

Additional Contacts - John Allender (Officer). License Number - 781281....

09/28/2016

Barry F.

There were complications due to scheduling the contractor and making design decisions, cost and esthetic trade offs and code issues. This is a complex process that is thrust upon you without warning due to fire. For a number of reasons the project got off to a slow start, making design decision, and getting contractor time slots. but never was there a sense once things were lined up that things were anything other than done in a timely manner and with due urgency. I chose Sterling due to another Angie's review. It said that Sterling was a bit more expensive than others but did great work. It specifically singled out Pat, the project leader, as particularly capable and helpful. You really need a Pat on your project because he will tell you what you can safely do both due to code, insurance, and best practices. It is critical that you know that your contractor is guiding you based on fair information and not what is convenient for them. We didn't always see eye to eye but I trusted his word on what was feasible and he was free about explaining the reasons. There is clearly an attitude of doing things right. Almost no one has gone through a fire repair. Suddenly you have to make design decisions for the whole house. Replacing what you wanted to change means you have to design the whole house then execute on the part covered for the repair and revisit it all later for full renovation. It is an opportunity to build your dream house a piece at a time. But you are not prepared and the clock is ticking. Then who knows who does what when an insurance rebuild? So the next thing you need is someone who understands what will be covered. What is reasonable and what you pay extra for. Pat was very good working with me and my insurance adjuster (USAA) to get excellent code upgrades but never with a hint of impropriety. The build up to the production crew turn over is a long and tedious process that Pat handles down to every detail. The profitability of the contractor and lower cost comes from having it all together when it needs to be. I joked that once Pat hit the "go" button it would take a day to do the project as it would fall into place perfectly...not quite that good. You always had the sense that it was close to that. To keep my costs down a number of the items were pulled from the contract for me to perform. That flexibility allowed a number of very nice upgrades. Lastly, if you have fire insurance you MUST have code upgrade coverage. It is a small adder in cost and gigantic savings when needed.

Description of Work
This project was a fire repair where a wing of the house was destroyed. The physical structure was rebuilt and all the interior and roof were redone. New doors and windows were added. All electrical was needed inside and out. Deck repairs were performed as well.

01/31/2014

Sameer P.

Curt visited our house to assess the scope of work. He seemed like a pleasant person during the initial visit. After a couple of days, he gave us an estimate for only part of the items we had requested. That too was about 25-30% more expensive compared to the 2 other bids we received from equally well rated Angieslist contractors. I pointed out to him and allow him to provide a more competitive bid for the major bathroom projects that he hadn't provided an estimate for. Instead, after a week, I receive a long winded reply and he didn't bother with providing an estimate anyway.

Description of Work
We requested an estimate to a) remodel a closet b) paint 2 bedrooms c) install baseboard trim into living room, 3 bedrooms and hallway and d) remodel 2 bathrooms. We got an estimate for items a,b,c.

Category water damage restoration

We agree that Curt is a very pleasant person to come and do an estimate. He is very professional and an excellent estimator. Though we never claim to be the least expensive, we do claim to produce the highest of quality work. Since we never performed any work for (members name removed) and he was never able to see our high quality work, we feel that this review isn't completely fair. We have over 20 years of experience and we welcome anyone to review our photos and website.

12/18/2013

Jeffrey F.

They were decent and they were in our top three. i would consider another quote from them.

Description of Work
Sterling General Construction Incorporated gave us a fair quote on a bathroom.

Category remodeling

06/05/2013

Lois T.

They were fantastic; wonderful guy, ethical, knowledgeable, willing to explain how things work, and willing to give good referrals. I should probably trust Mike Sterling more than anybody else; he is a great guy. He did construction on this house in the 80's and he's been out here with his engineer because I am doing more work. He didn't charge me for the work, just gave me his opinion and some referrals. He was out here, maybe, four months ago and he's spent a lot of time on the phone with me and sent me emails with the information that I need on certain things that I need to do. I can't recommend him highly enough; I have so much respect for him and appreciation for him. In fact, every referral for every contractor I have ever had work on my house comes from a referral form Mike - he's actually my personal Angie's List!

Description of Work
Sterling General Construction did construction work for me.

Category remodeling,home builders

04/24/2013

John J.

Sterling came out on time, did a very thorough review of the situation and the symptoms, and seemed to understand all the underlying issues that could be involved better than two other bidders. The bid itself was detailed, complete and professional. Once the problem area was exposed (stucco walls outside, sheet rock walls and ceilings inside, the whole patio surface itself) it became apparent that they had bid correctly and the work was done on time.

Description of Work
Over several years apparently, we had an undetected, significant water leak that was coming down from a tiled patio above two of our bedrooms. By the time it got noticed (water dripping from a light fixture during a major storm) it was a serious problem. The work was to repair all the water damage (dry rot) on the joists, and walls, replace the sub-floor, and resurface the patio with a waterproof surface.

Category remodeling,water damage restoration

12/29/2010

Amyn Y.

Extremely well. The company did the inspect without any charge and it was all done very promptly and professionally. I would certainly use them if I need to in future.

Description of Work
Inspect of the water damage was performed. Pat Wehner came out very promptly and did his inspection and made excellent recommendation to follow up on.

05/26/2009

Mahendra R.

They did a very good job, were cordial, and had a reasonable estimate. They showed commitment to being there and doing the job the way it should be done. The end result is excellent and we would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
They cleaned up our home from fire damage. They did all of the cabinetry, repainted, replaced the ceiling, replaced flooring, replaced windows, and doors. They redid the whole kitchen.

Cardinal Construction

We have been in business for 10 years. We provide excellent craftsmanship at an affordable price. Our projects are completed on time and on budget. Most of our competition is 50% slower and 50% more expensive. Our services include: home building home remodeling basement construction accessory dwelling units

Servpro of Milpitas

WE DO NOT OFFER MOLD TESTING. HOWEVER WE DO OFFER MOLD REMEDIATION. SERVPRO of Milpitas understands the stress and worry that comes with fire or water damage and the disruption it causes your life and home or business. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it "Like it never even happened." SERVPRO of Milpitas specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke, or water damage. SERVPRO of Milpitas can also mitigate mold and mildew from your home or business. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. With a nationwide system of qualified franchises, no damage is too large or too small for SERVPRO of Milpitas. If you would like to schedule service for your home or business, please call today! Serving you since 1967, SERVPRO is the cleaning and restoration brand you know and trust. We do not offer mold testing.

True Spex Remodeling services

TrueSpex residential repair professionals will make it simple for you to make your home everything you want it to be. For every need that might arise, we are committed to providing you with dependable and skilled craftsmen, great customer service, and highest quality workmanship. Whether you need something installed, built, repaired or maintained, we are here to offer you the service you need and getting it done! Your home needs expertise and we have the experts at TrueSpex.

Offers by True Spex Remodeling services on Angi

Fire & Water Damage Repair, Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling, Home Additions, Earthquake Retrofitting.