Alan Electric

Founded 1992 • With Angi since June 2005

PO Box 1743

Campbell, CA 95009

Owner Operated. No Subs. $75 Hourly Rate Applies, $50 Travel Charge Applies For Outside Area Work.

10/19/2018

Masakazu O.

An appliance serviceman had difficulty with a connection problem and thought it might be the result of a faulty circuit breaker. He suggested that I get an electrician to come in to check it out. When electrician is mentioned, only one name comes to mind: Dave Nagel. I called him and he came out the next day. I've used him for various problems several times now. And he came through again, as usual. He checked the circuit breaker box and found nothing wrong. Then he asked where my GFI switches were. I showed him. He found that one to be okay. But he insisted that there had to be another one. He looked around and could not find one. Then he said, "Could you move that coffee maker?" I did and there it was. And that was the problem--it had tripped. But still he was not satisfied. He said that there was something wrong. One receptacle was not connected to the GFI that it should logically be connected to. He said that it would be a good idea to get a GFI for that one. I said okay and he went to get one. He returned with the part and quickly installed it. Just a tip for anyone who would like to use his services: Because he is so busy, it may take more than one phone call to contact him. Be persistent. It is worth it. I wouldn't use anyone else.

Description of Work
I thought I had a problem with a faulty circuit breaker

12/06/2017

Mark T.

All went according to promised plan.

Description of Work
New breaker panel.

09/04/2015

Marilyn D.

9:30 rolls around. No Dave. 10:30 rolls around. No Dave. I left two voicemails asking if he is still coming. No reply. At 1:49 pm, I sent an email asking, "What happened? He finally replied at 6:30 pm with a brief message as follows: "hi, had scheduled work on another job which Took me All day.". My husband took a long-awaited vacation to get some household things done, and this is how Dave treats us. If he didn't want to do the job, just let us know. I cannot tell you how disappointing this is. By later in the afternoon, I got concerned that something may have happened to Dave, because he did not seem like the type of person who would not show up or call.I called your office to find out if you have additional numbers for Dave, but you do not. Also, he only has a Post office box for his address.

Description of Work
Dave Nagel came by about a week before to determine if he could install a fan/light in our recreation room. He said that he could. Additionally, we had a light fixture installed over our pool table that did not come out very well. I suggested a possible solution and he agreed that it is a good idea and may work. After several email exchanges, it was set that he would come over about 9:30 am on Thursday, September 3rd. The 9:30 am timeframe was confirmed in an email from Dave just the night before, on Wednesday, September 2nd. My husband got up at 7:30 to go to Home Depot to buy some boards that would allow Dave to stand on the pool table to check on this.

Category electrician, lighting, ceiling fans

08/31/2015

joseph G.

It went great , Dave was on time and very knowledgeable. He recommended what attic I fan I should get and went to Home Depot to purchase it for me. Dave is a very good communicate and electrician. I would highly recommend for any electrical work.

Description of Work
Install attic fan and ceiling fan

08/03/2015

Anthony S.

Given timing constraints with all the other portions of the project I couldn't use David this time around but I was so positive about his service level, professionalism, and knowledge/recommendations that I wanted to make sure I noted this on Angie's List. I hope to use him on my next electrical project.

Description of Work
I had a last minute rush electrical need (my other electrician disappeared) for a backyard project that was in coordination with a whole bunch of other work including laying down pavers and installing gas lines. I called David at Allen Electric based on the great ratings on Angie's list and told him of my time sensitive needs. He went out of the way to come to my house the next day and was very professional, knowledgeable, and pleasant.

07/01/2015

Masakazu O.

Anytime I need electrical work, I know exactly who to call. I've used Alan Electric three times previously and been happy with the results each time. I don't even bother calling for any other estimates. In fact, once we determined what we wanted, I didn't even ask Dave for an estimate. I trust him that much. I like the way he works--especially with something as dangerous as electricity--very carefully, thinking out each step as he goes along. After he returned with the parts, he dismantled the existing lights and step by step he installed three banks of two LED tubes. Then he installed the proper LED dimmer switch. The result? Beautiful--more light than we have ever had in the kitchen and with the dimmer, the proper lighting for whatever task we had in the area. My wife wondered out loud, "Why didn't we do this sooner?"

Description of Work
We wanted LED tubes installed as our overhead lighting in the 14 foot high ceiling fixture in the kitchen. Dave came in, looked over the situation, gauged what we wanted, made suggestions, and went after the necessary parts. When he returned, he installed the tubes and the dimmer switch.

04/22/2015

Barbara C.

Excellent. I called yesterday after researching on Angie's list. He came out yesterday to inspect and provided a quote this morning. The work was done this afternoon. He clearly knows what he is doing and his work was high quality. I will keep him on file for future use. It was a very positive experience.

Description of Work
Installed a GFI outlet with cover for exterior tankless water heater

10/15/2014

Rhonda F.

Dave is great. He has been up to the house before to do work and we called him back because of the excellent service he performed. He will be back in the near future to install an additional exterior outlet for a pond and to replace a breaker. The work he performed yesterday was professionally done and we are very happy. Its good to have someone check the electrical systems to give me peace of mind that all is well. We really like Dave and will continue to use his services!

Description of Work
Replaced one interior outlet and two exterior outlets. Installed exterior weather proof outlet covers on three outlets. Examed additional outlets and breaker box for future needs.

08/29/2014

Manching K.

Dave was really punctual. He's a really nice guy and was very polite and did everything that was needed. He went right to work when he arrived. He completed his work in almost exactly the amount of time he said it would take.

Description of Work
Installed two outside outlets and changed the box/fixed one broken outside outlet.

08/26/2014

Rich W.

Very prompt. Very courteous. Very professional. Have recommended him to many friends and WILL call him again.

Description of Work
Installed a 220 outlet for a stove.

06/28/2014

Rhonda F.

He did awesome work, was very professional, prompt, and a nice person too!

Description of Work
Check why our ceiling fan was not working. This meant he had to test and take down our fan (a feat in and of itself as we have over 20' ceilings. Diagnosed the problem and made the connections safe until we could get a new fan. He then came back and installed the new fan.

06/28/2014

Rita G.

Dave was very thorough and professional. The whole house fan that I purchased is not the traditional style one. Dave said that he installed one like mine once before and said it shouldn't be a problem. I also asked for it to be powered by it's only dedicated circuit. He did an awesome job installing the new circuit into the panel. I am very happy with the installation. :-)

Description of Work
Installation of a whole house fan and a new dedicated circuit.

06/10/2014

Jacquelyn R.

He was quick and efficient and got the job done.

Description of Work
David came out and removed two dead electrical boxes in my back yard. He also figured out how to get some lighting on my fence working and changed the bulbs.

05/24/2014

Masakazu O.

I needed a chandelier installed after we had the previous one removed. A hanging light by the door was also replaced. Dave picked up my light, came to the house, sized up the situation, and went right to work. What I liked especially was the way he planned each step of the process so that he did not have to backtrack to correct any mistakes. He worked very carefully, even washing his hands before taking off the plastic coverings over the multiple lights. The topper is when he suggested a dimmer for the chandelier. What a great suggestion! The living room is just the way we want it, especially since we can change the light level as the occasion demands.

Description of Work
Dave installed a chandelier on a 14 foot ceiling, a doorway hanging light, and dimmer for the chandelier circuit. The 180 was for labor only, which to me was very reasonable.

05/19/2014

Edward P.

Dave came to my house twice to troubleshoot and fix the GFI outlet failure. This is the second time I used Dave and I am not hesitant to use him for any electrical work around the house. Thanks Dave for a positive experience.

Description of Work
Fix GFI outlet failure

03/07/2014

Joseph B.

It went great! I saw the reviews on Angie's list and saw that Dave was fairly close to me. I called him a few minutes before 8AM and left a message (they open at 8AM). He called me right back. He said he was on his way to a job in Saratoga, but he could stop by when he was finished - estimated about noon, and he would call me before he left. He called me before noon as he had finished up the previous job and said he would head over after he picked up some food. He arrived on schedule and was able to diagnose the issue very quickly. I actually had some brand new plugs in the garage and he installed them right then (guessing he had some in his truck as well). I'm very happy with everything and would call Dave again and recommend him to friends.

Description of Work
I lost power to the office and guest room. Dave diagnosed the electrical issue and found a broken/burnt plug causing the issue. He replaced the outlet and tested everything.

02/09/2014

Camille J.

He is amazing! Great work ethic and very fair prices. I HIGHLY recommend Alan Electric. The only problem is that he is very popular and you may need to schedule things quite a bit ahead of time. But it is worth it!

Description of Work
I have used Alan Electric several times.

10/29/2013

Joshua W.

They gave me an estimate, but I decided to go with someone else. There was nothing wrong with them; we just decided to use someone else. Their price was not as good as the others. I would use them again.

Description of Work
Alan Electric gave me an estimate on upgrading the electrical box and upgrading our home electrical service.

09/02/2013

Paul M.

This was not a big job but I asked the electrician to replace a second switch after he had replaced the first. He had to go out to purchase the switch. He was very clear on his work and was ready to answer any question.

Description of Work
Replaced two 3 way switches.

08/27/2013

Ron M.

A little too relaxed maybe, but the work went well and very friendly.

Description of Work
We had some problems figuring out some lighting wiring for some three-ways (front door and atrium night lights),plus three others, plus a consult about wiring and placement of a future backyard fountain, and Dave (Alan) Nagel, the owner, was super. For instance, we wanted a dimmer and an electronic wall timer installed on one three-way circuit, and it took a while to discover that the dimmer was not compatible with the timer -- and we were dealing with pinned CFL bulbs. I called late on Monday, he called back in 15 minutes and made an appointment (my choice) 4 hours later. Job took 2 hours interspersed with encouraged chitchat for which he did not charge. Of course we'd use him again!

08/26/2013

NICHOLAS S.

Smoothly, promptly, and he was very nice.

Description of Work
Replace ceiling light with several built-in can downlights.

07/31/2013

Danna S.

Overall our experience with Alan Electric was good. Dave was very knowledgable and had excellent customer service. The lights turned out looking great and they create a nice ambience in our home.

Description of Work
Alan Electric installed 6 pot lots in our living room, 3 pot lots in our hallway, and converted 2 two-prong outlets to three-prong.

07/23/2013

Frank A.

I called and Dave showed up an hour later. He had the correct breaker with him and was done quickly.

Description of Work
Replaced a GFI circuit breaker

05/14/2013

Lynn S.

I called about the installation of a ceiling fan I had purchased. I also wanted an outlet changed from the switched on the wall so it could not be turned on and off. Dave called back and gave me an estimate over the phone of $250. Alter I talked to another company, I called him back and asked him to to the work. He came when he said he would, was pleasant and did the work in the estimated time. I would definitely call him again if I needed additional work.

Description of Work
Installed a ceiling fan and changed a wall outlet.

03/25/2013

David G.

I got the discount as advertised. Work was done to code. Quality products.

Description of Work
Outdoor 120v line for fountain