Mike Guttman Design & Construction

Founded 1983 • With Angi since February 2008

Allow Mike Guttman, with 30 years of experience in outdoor design and construction to integrate masonry and landscape and transform your outside living space into a beautiful place to come home to. Mike's designs have been featured on HGTV , is affordable and he has serviced the L.A. area from Los

hardscaping (70)masonry (37)concrete repair (32)concrete driveways (26)fence company (10)stone & gravel (9)Patios (5)stamped concrete (2)lawn & landscaping (34)irrigation system (24)lawn care (13)drain pipe installation (12)

03/03/2022

Belen M.

I was very impressed that our project stayed on schedule, even with ALL the rain, add-ons and a last-minute drainage hiccup. Right from the get-go, Mike had a good eye and a strong vision for our outdoor project. I was 100% convinced on getting pavers but Mike sold us on concrete and I'm glad he did. He was very persistent with following up after we received our bid and was great about answering the 100 questions I had...on top of my husband's (this was our first time doing concrete). He is very responsive (before/during/after), great to work with and a good conversationalist...which I appreciate when I'm working with someone. Apparently, concrete doesn't always turn out "perfect" but we are really happy with the finished product.

Description of Work
All outdoor hardscape

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, drain pipe

Work Completed On 12/20/2021

Review for Mike Guttman Design & Construction - 109 N Screenland Dr, Burbank, CA - 39647166

09/22/2021

Connie N.

We needed to remove a cyclone fence covered with 30 years of ivy and have a 100 ft long, 6 ft tall cinder block wall built in its place. Mike was able to take on our project within a month, and completed it within a week. Great price, excellent wall, crew was great, highly recommend!

Description of Work
Build a cinder block wall

Category concrete repair, fencing, masonry

Work Completed On 09/09/2021

05/02/2021

Elliott K.

We hired Mike to do a backyard remodel that included both landscaping and hardscaping work. This includedh redoing a patio floor, doing three retaining walls, adding an area of decompose granite and a lot of leveling work. We met with other contractors and received multiple quotes. Mike was clearly more experienced than any of the others and his quote came in at an extremely fair price for the extent of work we needed. From the beginning, Mike had some great ideas that we incorporated and, at the same time, was very open and flexible with our ideas. Mike and his team were an absolute pleasure to work with. Everything Mike said he was going to do, he did. He was incredibly responsive from the beginning to the end, and we were in touch with him daily. We have worked with various contractors in the past but Mike and his team were by far the most efficient and thorough. Our backyard looks amazing and is so much more functional than it was before.

Description of Work
Backyard patio and landscaping

Category concrete repair, fencing, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, masonry, pavers, gravel, drain pipe, hardscaping, stamped concrete, patios

Work Completed On 04/30/2021

04/28/2021

Rollin J.

We met with about 10 contractors before choosing Mike for the job. Mike was vary professional, knowledgeable and listen closely to our needs. Mike explained clearly how the work would play out and job went well from start to finish. His team were prompt and hard working. Mike was accommodating when we wanted to add other masonry items after the work began. All the work finished on time even with the few added items. His price was vary competitive and we would recommend him highly.

Description of Work
Masonry - Block walls, driveway repair and concrete work

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, masonry

Work Completed On 04/18/2021

Review for Mike Guttman Design & Construction - 109 N Screenland Dr, Burbank, CA - 39310915

04/09/2021

Shai S.

Provided proposal and began work within a week. Progressed quickly, professionally and with an experienced crew. Finished in 15 days. Was attentive to our overall design plan. Made the project as stress-free as possible. Cleaned up afterwards and looks great! Cost was acceptable for the quality of workmanship provided. Extras (after initial proposal) were reasonable. Will use Mike & Co. again when we redo the front yard.

Description of Work
Remove wooden deck and replace with new concrete patio

Category concrete repair, landscaping, irrigation systems, masonry, stamped concrete, patios

Work Completed On 03/03/2021

12/28/2020

Jeremy S.

Mike is hands down the best contractor we have ever hired. The previous owners of our house had done some beautiful and expensive hardscaping and landscaping probably 40 years ago, but it was all badly in need of renovation when we bought the house a few years ago. We wanted to restore it all and make a few improvements rather than start over, and Mike was fully on board with that approach from the moment he arrived. All I had to do was show him what needed to be addressed, and he immediately knew the right way to handle everything, including how to address all our concerns about pitch and drainage, since our property slopes down from the street. He restored our property and made it even more beautiful that we imagined it could be. In particular, he had the idea of covering our existing concrete walkways and steps with blue stone instead of demolishing and pouring new concrete--it cost about the same, is gorgeous, and goes perfectly with house and front yard area. But everything he did looks like it was meant to be here--nothing looks like an add-on. In addition to his great design ideas, Mike was very engaged and responsive. Not only does he have a great crew, but he was at our house almost every day checking their work, having them fix details that weren't to his standards, and walking me through what was done and what would be done next. And he always responded quickly to calls and texts to address any questions or concerns we had. This was a huge investment for us and needed to be done right, and Mike did exactly that. We were in very safe hands with Mike and recommend him without reservation.

Description of Work
Dug up large asphalt driveway and poured new concrete with drainage, built new stucco pony wall between driveway area and front yard, repair existing rock walls, covered old concrete walkways with blue stone, poured new concrete steps to side door and backyard, demolished warped decking in backyard and poured new concrete with drainage, installed new redwood fencing in one half of backyard and repaired existing fencing in other half, pruned all trees on property and dug out old stumps, addressed erosion issue on sloped section of yard using rocks and pebbles.

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, fencing, masonry, pavers, gravel, tree service, drain pipe, stucco, hardscaping

Work Completed On 11/27/2020

08/18/2020

Giovanni M.

I contacted Mike via Angie's List to get a quote. He happened to be working on a large job in my area so he was able to come by the next day. After quoting me a very reasonable price, he started work almost immediately and finished within 2 days. Mike was communicative, fair and did exactly what we agreed upon. We would definitely use him again for yard/masonry work!

Description of Work
Demolition on a large brick planter and replaced with brick to match the patio. Concrete cap on another planter. Replacing bad/old bricks, Turf in front yard.

Category concrete repair, lawn service, masonry

Work Completed On 08/14/2020

07/08/2020

Donny C.

I had ANOTHER excellent experience working with Mike Guttman and his team! I had hired him in 2018 to do a major back yard renovation, and was very happy with the result. Of note, he was always responsive and happy to answer questions if I had any, even well after the project was completed. I contacted him again when we wanted to turf our front yard. I got a quote from the company that supplied turf to us many years ago, before we met Mike, but Mike and his team are able to provide much more comprehensive service -- not only replacing our dead grass with turf, but fixing our irrigation, planting new plants, and fixing burnt spots in our old turf. His price was reasonable given the scope of work, his communication is always excellent, and his crew got the whole job done in a timely manner. Very reliable, friendly service. Giving him my repeat business is the best endorsement I can give, and I would be happy to hire them again if I need to in the future! I appreciate that he always wants to get things done the best way possible, and doesn't take shortcuts just to get things done more quickly. I highly recommend Mike Guttman and his team! Thanks, Mike!

Description of Work
Installing turf in front yard

Category landscaping, irrigation systems

Work Completed On 06/30/2020

Review for Mike Guttman Design & Construction - 109 N Screenland Dr, Burbank, CA - 38704411

03/20/2020

Scott K.

Mike really understood our backyard space and ultimately made it what we wanted it to be. He and his team are a pleasure to work with and they maintain a refreshing creative flexibility throughout the process. Mike considered all of the critical details required to best complete the space, and ultimately his team delivered above and beyond our expectations for a totally fair price. Moreover, between the time we received our estimate and the completion of the project was about 10 days, maybe less. It was amazingly fast! We are loving our new space and can see that the plants he chose and the suggestions he made means years of enjoyment of our backyard. Thanks!

Description of Work
Backyard and patio remodel

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, tree service, drain pipe, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 03/11/2020

10/25/2019

Vanessa P.

We used Mike Guttman landscaping for both our last property as well as our current one. We were so satisfied with the work he did previously, when we purchased our new home we knew just who to call! Both times he and his crew overtook total backyard guy renovations from the 70’s and turned them in to a gorgeous, usable and beautiful space. His prices are fair and his work is honest. I can speak from experience that his projects do not only look beautiful, but they hold up year after year! He seamlessly ties in form with function. (No drainage issues here!) One of the things I find most valuable about Mike Guttman is his incredibly prompt response times. You always hear about the nightmares of projects being delayed, dragging on, etc. When we called Mike to begin the project mid-summer (peak season), he responded right away and had the project going ASAP! He fit us in and worked his magic. Both times the projects were done in a timely manner. In fact, the first project was completed AHEAD of schedule. Have you ever even heard of that? In the backyard, he and his crew completely redid the entire space, including building an outdoor kitchen that looks AMAZING. And while they completely demolished our backyard, in the front, they worked with the mature trees to create a beautiful manicured space that feels as though it’s been there for decades. It is also noteworthy that he spotted a few extra drainage issues near our garage and went above and beyond to correct them for us, even though we would have been none the wiser. Also, he’s a lot of fun to have around. If you’re thinking of hiring a landscaping company, please strongly consider Mike Guttman Landscaping for your next project. You will not be disappointed.

Description of Work
Backyard and front landscaping

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 10/24/2019

10/15/2019

Janna B.

I previously had hired Mike for a smaller job at an investment property in January 2019. I like him so much, I asked him to do the entire hardscape/landscape for my newly remodeled home. The hitch: I was still working with a GC for the interior of the home, and had essentiallly "fired" the GC for the yard, so I was worried there might be hard feelings. Mike was confident he could do the work and bridge the gap between his crew and our house contractors - and he did! The two crews had to work together a number of times, sharing information about drainage plans, moving electrical under the house and out to the exterior of the patio, etc. From my perspective, it was seamless. Mike is also great about offering input on design - I was overwhelmed with taking on another design project in light of the work I was doing on the interior, and Mike handled it well - he offered suggestions, was willing to take my input and change his mind, and was flexible when I told him I wanted to "go cheap" in a portion of the yard because we were on a strict budget. We ended up with a beautiful yard and patio! Mike also thought up some budget-friendly choices for me when I asked for pavers on the patio - we did a beautiful stamped concrete that I am very pleased with. He came when he said he would, his crew was efficient, clean and friendly, and Mike himself was on-site much of the time. When I had concerns during the project, he would come right over to discuss them and make changes (if necessary), and after the project was done (and we had filled our coffers again), he added more landscaping and did the lighting for me. He will always be my go-to hardscape and landscaper!

Description of Work
Entire yard re-hardscape (including grading) and landscape, new driveway, new stucco wall between driveway and yard, new concrete patio, installation of drainage, new fencing, turf installation

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, fencing, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, drain pipe, stucco, hardscaping, patios

Work Completed On 03/25/2019

Review for Mike Guttman Design & Construction - 109 N Screenland Dr, Burbank, CA - 38172739

10/15/2019

Janna B.

We have an investment property that needed some hardscape repairs to make it safe for our tenants. Mike was fabulous. He came when he said he would, gave a fair estimate, stuck to the estimate, had fantastic guys who were quick, clean and friendly and we were pleased with the final result. He even talked me out of some repairs I thought were necessary but that he said wouldn't be worth the money, and he offered other solutions that I liked better (and were cheaper). Mike was easy to work with and was responsive both before and during the project. When I decided midway through constructing the fence that I actually wanted it moved 3 more inches (not his fault, just my preference after I saw it going in), Mike handled the news with professionalism and a can-do attitude. We agreed to a small change order (cost adjustment) which basically was just the laborer's time to repour the fence foundations, and nobody complained about the extra time and energy it took to move the fence. The job was done in 2 days, just like Mike said it would be. I would definitely hire him again - and I have!

Description of Work
Replace cracked sections of driveway and front path, building concrete steps from side doors to patio, constructing new fence between neighbors.

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, fencing, hardscaping

Work Completed On 01/21/2019

10/14/2019

Robert B.

I would hire them again in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
Complete landscaping, hardscaping and some masonry. Great work. Wonderful design and installations skills

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, masonry, pavers, gravel, tree service, drain pipe, stucco, hardscaping

Work Completed On 06/14/2019

06/13/2019

Ann H.

It went well, the work was professional and to code. My only objection is Mike was always more interested in getting on to his next job than listening to what I wanted or answering my questions. Kind of the "don't worry little lady, it'll be real nice" kind of attitude. I spent 35 years in design and construction for the movies and thought that kind of disrespect was long gone.

Description of Work
Concrete block wall

Category masonry, hardscaping

Work Completed On 02/17/2019

10/31/2018

Mark H.

Mike delivered on every word. We discussed a design and he came back with a fair bid. I did obtain 3 other bids and was blown away by how much more the other bids were for the same work. His crew did a wonderful job and cleaned up afterwards - no mess left behind! Really appreciate the quality work they provided. Very happy with the results, and would highly recommend him to family and friends.

Description of Work
Concrete poured in front and back of studio, with slab design, and rocks placed in between.

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways

Work Completed On 10/23/2018

Review for Mike Guttman Design & Construction - 109 N Screenland Dr, Burbank, CA - 37520228

10/08/2018

JAY H.

I highly recommend Mike and his team. I hired Mike to do landscaping and hardscaping for a backyard remodel while I was also doing some other work with another contractor. Mike and his team showed up everyday and the work they performed was exactly how we designed my backyard. I was having difficulties with my other contractor that was delaying the hardscape and landscaping work Mike and his team were performing. Mike jumped right in and helped me push the other contractor to finish work so he and his team could finish my project. I have hired a number of contractors over the years who all have had their fair share of issues, especially contractors who demand money up front, do not show up everyday to finish the work, drag the projects out and who you need to micro manage to make sure the services are performed correctly. I DID NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MIKE AND HIS TEAM. THEY WANTED TO GET IN AND FINISH THE PROJECT ON TIME. I highly recommend for landscape and hardscaping.

Description of Work
Landscaping and Hardscape

Category concrete repair, concrete driveways, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, pavers, gravel, tree service, drain pipe, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/15/2017

Review for Mike Guttman Design & Construction - 109 N Screenland Dr, Burbank, CA - 37456632

09/09/2018

Donny C.

I had an EXCELLENT experience working with Mike Guttman and his crew on remodeling our back yard. I got quotes from Mike + 3 others before starting our project. Some of the others missed and/or were super late for their appointments and took forever to even give quotes. Mike was an excellent communicator from the start; had great, cost saving ideas on how to remodel our back yard; and gave a very reasonable quote for doing the ENTIRE job that ended up being cheaper than if we had hired many different people to do all the different jobs that would have been required to complete the entire back yard. Hiring him was a no brainer since he had the best ideas, best communication, and best price. He estimated that the job would take 2-3 weeks, so I assumed it would really take 3-4+ weeks since renovation jobs always seem to take longer than expected, but his crew was super hard working and got the job done in 2 weeks! If there was anything we were dissatisfied with, they re-did the work until we were satisfied, or we were able to come to a compromise that satisfied us all. I wish we had met Mike even earlier, before we had done ANY work on the back yard!! We had done minor projects while looking for someone to do the major projects when we found Mike and realized he could do it all! He did such an excellent job on the back yard that we ended up extending the job and having him redo our front yard so it would match our beautiful new back yard! He encouraged us to call or text at any time if we ever had any questions, which we did a few times and he always responded right away! I would not hesitate one bit to recommend Mike to others (as I already have), and I would definitely hire him again in the future if we ever need anything else done! Thank you Mike and crew! (Please see before and after pictures below!)

Description of Work
Renovation of back yard and front yard

Category concrete repair, landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, hardscaping

Work Completed On 09/09/2018

Review for Mike Guttman Design & Construction - 109 N Screenland Dr, Burbank, CA - 37384948

08/13/2018

Walter A.

Mike and his crew are fantastic. Completed the job quickly and professionally. All my questions and concerns were met. Would definitely hire again.

Description of Work
Exterior masonry and landscaping

Category landscaping, lawn service, irrigation systems, masonry, pavers, gravel, stucco, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/13/2018

06/16/2016

Gerard O.

From beginning to end Mike and his team were responsive and professional. We desperately needed some assistance with our front yard which was essentially just a dirt patch. Mike came out and walked through some ideas with us. He provided us some suggestions, some of which were cost savings and some which added to cost. We took some, but not all, of Mike's suggestions and even when he disagreed he did the work with no complaints. Nine month now after our installation we are very happy we took his suggestions. Mike's team pulled about a foot of dirt/topsoil off our yard. The graded the yard and laid down artificial turf, a cement foundation and a paver and stone overlay on that, and a planting bed. We receive a lot of compliments on the work (Still) and are very happy with how it has all come out.

Description of Work
Landscaping and excavation advice. Dirt removal, grading, cement, pavers, rock and gravel, artificial turf, planting bed, cut a drainage trench.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 10/01/2015

06/10/2016

Lisa E.

Mike was helpful with determining the design, which I wasn't very clear on at the beginning. He helped me refine my ideas and come up with something that would work and be appropriate. This took two trips to meet with us. He was on time and did the work in the time frame discussed. A couple of the stones have cracked; I think they may not have had stable bases underneath them. However, I am satisfied with the work.

Description of Work
He added flagstone walkways to my front and rear yards as part of my switch from a grass lawn to a more climate-appropriate design. He also removed old blocks from around the plant beds that were along the area where he put in the walkways.

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 10/07/2015

Review for Mike Guttman Design & Construction - 109 N Screenland Dr, Burbank, CA - 31979783

11/14/2015

Blythe E.

Mike is a great guy. Super friendly and easy to get along! He's incredibly creative and, while having lots of fantastic ideas of his own, is still flexible enough to do whatever's needed to serve the vision of his client. His partner's also a veteran landscaper and has worked with him for 20 years! A solid team, everyone who showed up was punctual, professional and hardworking. I did notice something small weeks after the job was done, but Mike was incredibly responsive and got back to me immediately to work on a plan of action. It's nice to find a contractor who is truly dedicated to making sure his clients are fully satisfied now AND in the future. We will definitely be using him again for "stage two" of our yard project! Thanks, Mike and company!

Description of Work
We have a hillside property and wanted to create a space in our yard, where people could congregate and kids could play. Mike had some great ideas and eventually created two large, pad-like terraces for us: the first, a concrete patio (where we could build, say, a fire pit) and the other, enclosed dirt (where grass and plants could be grown). The foundation of the pads was impressive, staked and poured like the foundation of a house. Steps were also poured and, as recommended by our geologist before the rains begin, our backside roof gutter drainage was connected via subsurface drainage lines to a perforated pipe lying in gravel at the base of the property.

Category concrete repair, landscaping, pavers, gravel, drain pipe, hardscaping

Work Completed On 10/21/2015

10/17/2015

Jeremy L.

Mr. Guttman was not the lowest bid on the job, but I liked his ideas and suggestions. The others I interviewed might have done an adequate job, but, now that the work is done, I'm glad I selected Mike. The work was done on time and as agreed upon between us. His workers were professional and clean. His suggestions proved to be right on. Best of all, on casual inspection, you wouldn't notice that much of the new patio is actually an add on to an old existing flagstone patio. Thanks Mike

Description of Work
Extended patio. Moved irrigation Sealed flagstone,. Put flagstone on front walkway

Category concrete repair, irrigation systems, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/15/2015