A-1 The Clear Choice

Founded 1989 • With Angi since December 2005

2220 Sacramento St

Berkeley, CA 94702

A-1 The Clear Choice has been servicing Bay Area residents and businesses for over 27 years, offering a variety of affordable cleaning services which add to the beauty, safety and value of your home or business: Window Cleaning, Blind Cleaning, Gutter & Roof Cleaning, Gutter Guard Installation, and Pressure Washing. All work is performed by our experienced and professional crew. Our company is fully insured. We can work around your scheduling needs and offer very fair pricing. Cash, check and credit card payments accepted. Contact us for a free estimate. We look forward to working with you....

04/07/2022

Dana P.

The cleaners arrived almost two hours late. Neither worker spoke English. I wanted to pay with a check at time of service as is requested in the quote, but they didn’t understand. I telephoned Jasmine at the office to confirm that I would mail the check. She never returned my call. Seven days later, I received an email with an invoice attached stating that they worked an extra hour which totaled seven hours and would like to charge for that hour. They worked three hours. I agreed to the pay the price of the original quote no more. And I mailed the check in full according to that quote four days prior to receiving the new revised quote. It was incumbent on them to skillfully estimate the job. Needless to say I am less than pleased.

Description of Work
Window cleaning

08/07/2021

Kathryn H.

I cannot give enough praise for this company. They were professional from the first contact. They kept me informed about everything that was happening and updated me on every step. They were also personable, considerate, friendly and honest. I had 4 properties: an 8-plex, a 4-plex and 2 houses. They were challenging to access and yet A-1 solved each and every problem. They even notified me of other issues they noticed and therefore have headed off disasters with a garage roof and my home downspout. This was the first time I have used them and I definitely will make this a yearly service. I feel completely relaxed about their work and can trust that they will always live up to their promises.

Description of Work
Window washing and gutter cleaning

01/20/2020

Sarah C.

My gutters were blocked and water was causing my door to swell so we couldn’t open it. It was supposed to rain the next day. They came out within 2 hours, fixed it and let me know that my gutters weren’t angled right. Very professional and the price was very reasonable.

Description of Work
Gutters were cleaned and unblocked

12/20/2019

Joni F.

Every year I hire them. Responsive, good price, responsible.

Description of Work
Gutters on 8 buildings

07/24/2019

Linda B.

Excellent. Detailed, clean and professional. The crew went over the windows with me when they finished so that if there was anything I did not approve they redid it or explained what the problem was from.

Description of Work
Windows, screens and frames cleaned.

10/01/2018

Bonnie M.

Their wonderful, they do an excellent job.

Description of Work
Gutter Cleaning Service

04/10/2018

Don M.

CAUTION. The owner Stuart Sugden refused to provide the names of his employees who were in our home to us and to the Berkeley Police Department Detective Lee. If you use this firm require them to provide names and identification information of all employees who will be in your home.

Description of Work
Clean windows of entire home

Category window cleaning

This client had a burglary many weeks after our employees serviced his residence. He had no reason to suspect our employees and insisted on harassing us for their private information for many weeks. The Berkeley Police Department didn't want our employees' IDs, only [Member Name Removed] did. After several weeks of this, Mr. [Member Name Removed] thought it appropriate to write public negative reviews of our company because we wouldn't cooperate with his witch hunt. The Berkeley Police Department has since informed us that this case has been solved and the perpetrator apprehended through finger prints found at the site of the crime. Apparently the burglar was a repeat offender and in the police database, and wonder of wonders the thief turned out not to be one of our employees.

01/24/2018

Debra T.

We live on the east coast now and can schedule and pay from here so it is handy for us. We started using them before we moved.

Description of Work
Gutters this time. Have used for windows and other cleaning needs in past.

08/28/2017

Paula P.

One worker showed up early and went right to work. The other arrived on time. They were very professional and accommodating: they even replaced some smoke alarm batteries on my 20 foot ceilings.

Description of Work
Washing windows, inside and out, and cleaning solar panels

08/13/2017

Melinda B.

We hired A1 to do our front windows (3 of which are very high up). They actually arrived right on time, did the work both fast and efficiently (even cleaned the window tracks), and were professional and very nice. The price was exactly what was quoted. Next year we will be hiring them to do the entire house. Thanks A1 for a wonderful job.

Description of Work
Our 6 front windows.

06/07/2017

Barbara C.

Very efficient, thorough and professional.

Description of Work
Windows cleaned inside and out. Gutters and downspouts cleaning

06/05/2017

VICTORIA C.

The Clear Choice did a great job at a very fair price. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
They cleaned the outside of all windows on the house.

05/30/2017

Valerie M.

very well - he took a picture of a place on the eaves that might need to be repaired but a roofer said it didn't need to be.

Description of Work
gutter cleaning and repair

04/10/2017

UCP O.

The pavement look significantly improved and windows were clear and shiny.

Description of Work
Pressure wash pavement (remove gum & graffiti) as much as possible in front of building and wash windows.

Category window cleaning, pressure washing

12/05/2016

Diana D.

Great! The crew were punctual, professional and courteous.

Description of Work
Window and gutter cleaning

11/28/2016

Wendy T.

They are always very professional, and did a reat job! I will definitely be using them again. All of the customer service is very professional and it's also very easy to make appointments and communicate with them.

Description of Work
They performed a gutter cleaning service.

10/24/2016

Alexander D.

Quote was easy to acquire and was the best quote that we saw. They came on time and were easy to work with.

Description of Work
Gutter/Window Cleaning

07/23/2016

NANCY J.

Scheduling was easy. Service provider was prompt, friendly and thorough. It took about 6 hours for one person to complete the job - this was not an issue for me but others should remember to ask about this if it might be a problem. I have 33 window/doors of various sizes, some with multiple panes plus 4 small skylights atop a detached garage.

Description of Work
Window cleaning inside and out

07/17/2016

Carol R.

Beautifully. A-1 did a fabulous job on my windows which were long overdue for a cleaning!

Description of Work
windows cleaned inside and out plus cleaning of screens

07/15/2016

Carol R.

Description of Work
windows cleaned inside and out plus cleaning of screens

03/15/2016

Chris L.

I emailed A1 with a link to Google Maps showing our house from above asking for an estimate and making it clear that I was OK with the estimate being just that given that I wasn't asking them to visit the property first. Stuart responded shortly thereafter with a clear statement about their hourly rates and a rough guess as to how many man-hours the project would take. The next day, Friday, René arrived more or less on time. Since the work was all outside, I wasn't paying close attention to the time the way I might with other contractors. Also, given the rains we'd been having, Stuart had said that they might not be able to do the work, so I was half expecting no one to show. Indeed, after a short while, René knocked on the door and said they'd have to give up for the day because the rain had started coming down too thick. A different pair of workers showed up on Monday, briefly announcing their intention to finish the work. Not too long afterward they were gone. I haven't had a chance to go up on the roof yet to verify the work, but I heard them working pretty diligently with a hose from in the house and feel confident that they did a better job than I could have done. My only complaint, barely worth mentioning, is that they left without telling me they were done. I like to get a sense of what a contractor has encountered in order to be prepared for upcoming issues with the house. On the other hand, A1 was in and out with a minimum of fuss, the invoice (which arrived next-day by email) was completely in line with the original estimate, and I'll be hiring them again next year!

Description of Work
Cleaned gutters and downspouts on both 1- and 2-story residential rooftops.

Category gutter cleaning, roof cleaning

11/02/2015

Elana D.

Contacted them with Angie's online schedule assistant and messaging board. A-1 The Clear Choice was the first and only one to respond. Sometimes it's hard for me to talk on the phone, therefore, it is important and great that A-1was able to communicate effectively through the messaging system. Not only does the message appear in my Angie's message board but, a copy goes to the email I have on file. Really work for people like me who finds it easier to communicate through email/messaging. Osa communicated with me about the pricing, service provided, and scheduling. She was very good with follow-ups and making sure I was informed with next steps. Rafael came on time for the service and was professional. Inspected and cleaned the gutters in a timely manner. Overall very happy with the no nonsense service.

Description of Work
Inspect and cleaned gutters.

09/18/2015

Randall H.

Excellent service - prompt, close attention to detail, very respectful of furnishings that needed to be moved or worked around. Great care was taken to make sure I was fully satisfied with the end result. I'm planning on using this service three times a year.

Description of Work
Complete window and skylight cleaning service, inside and out

07/29/2015

William R.

Edwin arrived on schedule and proceeded to work immediately, He did a thorough job working very efficiently on a 90+ degree day. It took him about 4 hours, which is faster than I expected given the fact that we have several very high windows that are difficult to reach both inside and out. His manner was very professional, yet friendly and accommodating.

Description of Work
Cleaned all windows inside and out on our 2-story 4-bedroom house.

07/09/2015

M W.

Arnoldo arrived on time, and efficiently cleaned all my windows. They always look great after he's done. I have used this service before, and I have lucked out by having Ronoldo do the job. I highly recommend them. They are reasonably priced, and always do an excellent job.

Description of Work
Clean all windows on two story house

Handy service

Porter power washing

Porter Power Wash can wash it all from big to small. Commercial or residential. Concrete, stucco, siding, windows, solar panels, decks, dumpster cleaning, gutter cleaning, and more! We are licensed and insured and strive to create clean spaces and happy customers.

Cal Preserving

Super Service Award Winner 10 years in a row and almost 35 years of experience serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area! When it comes to wooden decks, fences, siding, etc., we are leading the industry in cleaning, restoring, refinishing, preserving (staining, sealing) and maintaining all exterior wooden surfaces that are not painted. We do not do new construction, but we do make small repairs. One of our goals is to deliver the highest quality customer service and knowledge of exterior wood restoration, preservation and maintenance. Our policy is that we don't take a dime of your money until the work is done and you are happy. Knowledge about the product is one thing, but delivering outstanding service and running a solid company is equally important. Our mission is to advocate for your money and give good honest advice whether or not you decide to hire us.

Offers by Cal Preserving on Angi

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, PayPal

Window & Blind Cleaning. Gutter & Roof Cleaning. Gutter Guard Installation. Pressure Washing (Sidings, Roofs, Decks, Patios, Driveways, Walkways, Stairs, Outdoor Furniture, etc.). Solar Panel Cleaning. Window Scratch Removal. Post Construction Cleaning.

Fabric blind cleaning. Blind repairs. Carpet cleaning.