Summit Deck Doctor

Founded 2003 • With Angi since October 2006

This is Rupert and my team at Summit Deck Doctor. We offer Deck Finishing, Deck Repairs and Deck Build within 25 miles of Los Gatos. We know you have a choice and hope you will choose us! There are three things that make us different from other contractors: LOOKS BETTER, LASTS LONGER, JOB DONE.

decks & porches (36)deck cleaning (35)pressure washing (19)house painting (13)woodworking (5)water damage restoration (1)

10/30/2021

Laura G.

Our large deck was sorely neglected - no maintenance in at least 8 years - and I worried it was beyond help or would be cost-prohibitive to rehabilitate. Rupert and Michael breathed new life into it! Rupert (company principle) is very responsive, and he was able to give a quick informal estimate based on some photos and I texted. This made it very easy to start working together right away. Now the deck looks beautiful, and they were able to stain our wooden deck furniture to match. Great makeover for our deck and lovely folks to work with!

Description of Work
Stain deck

Category decks, deck cleaning, pressure washing

Work Completed On 10/29/2021

10/09/2021

Marcy L.

Rupert and Michael just completed staining and sealing our very complicated deck/pergola project and did a masterful job. Their communication was prompt, every appointment was on time and their knowledge and craftsmanship was evident from start to finish. We especially appreciated their attention to detail and their care in protecting the surrounding detail of our 1906 home. Our finished deck is beautiful!

Description of Work
Deck, pergola and stairs needed to be stained and sealed

Work Completed On 10/09/2021

09/02/2017

Corey C.

Rupert understood what we were trying to do- make the deck safe, attractive and usable at the least cost. Rupert came up with a plan to replace the beams that were damaged by the tree roots, level the deck as much as possible and replace the missing section. He power washed and cleaned the deck floor & restained it when the deck was done. He kept us updated with the dates and times the work would be done. All the workmen were friendly, worked hard and were very competent. We are very pleased with the job and recommend this company.

Description of Work
We needed to repair our 20 year old deck. It was built around a very large ash tree. The tree was removed years ago, so we had to have the stump removed which left a 6 by 8 hole in the deck. Rupert, the owner, responded quickly and came over to give us a proposal. We wanted to repair what we had, not get a whole new deck. His price was very fair, so we hired him.

Category decks, deck cleaning, pressure washing, woodworking

Work Completed On 08/17/2017

A pleasure working with you! Yes, certainly not an easy job. Many of our jobs are a mix of carpentry and refinishing, and this was no exception. Glad we were able to fill in the part of the deck that had been removed when they took out the tree, and level the rest (as best as we could, given the warpage from many years). The deck stain we used was carefully chosen from one of our custom colors to match the existing handrails which had plenty of stain on them and didn't need doing - so saving you money. Appreciate the work! Best, Rupert.

05/20/2017

Sandra S.

Rupert is a true pro. He was 100% clear on pricing and took the time to explore different staining options. He even saved me money by recommending I don't replace all rotten planks, only the really bad ones. Always punctual and excellent fast job. A pleasure to do business with. Always cheerful!

Description of Work
Deck staining, hot tub staining, step staining, and replacing rotten planks

Category deck cleaning, house painters

Work Completed On 10/29/2016

[Member Name Removed]: A pleasure. Thanks again for the work. I also appreciate your willingness to take the occasional phonecall from a potential client. Best wishes, Rupert

05/16/2017

Ron P.

Rupert (owner) was on time, on schedule, in constant communication and patient. He and Michael (partner) are professional and thorough at a competitive price.

Description of Work
Power washed, sanded and stained approx. 1000 sq feet of red wood decks.

Category decks, deck cleaning, pressure washing

Work Completed On 04/20/2017

Many thanks! We used a deck stain that was semitransparent and of a custom color so that the deck would be a very similar color to the handrails which still had plenty of stain on them. Glad it looked so good! Thanks again for the work! Rupert.

11/29/2016

Mary W.

...................................................................................

Description of Work
..........................................................

Work Completed On 10/15/2016

Thanks for your rating. We will try to do even better next time.

11/13/2015

Hao Z.

Rupert and his crew were on time, courteous, and efficient, and did a great job. He kept me posted on progress and I didn't have to worry about the project at all.

Description of Work
wash and stain deck

Category decks, deck cleaning, pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 11/10/2015

You will be proud to know yours was the last deck staining of 2015. In fact we have never before stained a deck that late in the year (normally the deck staining season ends at Halloween); have to love the weather staying dry so long in the year. I am glad you liked the color we offered you - a custom color called "Rupert's Redwood" that is a redwood color with a touch less red and a touch more brown, to give that waxed floorboard look for those who don't like so much red. I appreciate your mentioning your peace of mind - we aim to make hiring a contractor painless. We talk to many potential clients and ask them what they are looking for. They all say they want better communications with their contactors. In fact the Contractor Services Licensing Board says the number one most-easily-fixed issue between clients and contractors is communication. Therefore we drop you a text or have a chat with you at the end of every day's work so we can check in with you and for you to give us feedback. I am glad we exceeded your expectations!

05/08/2015

Paul P.

WOW. I thought my 30 year old redwood deck wasn't salvageable, but Rupert convinced me to do so. He was very prompt & reliable & knowledgeable and everything went as planned. A real pleasure to work with, especially if you prefer texting over e-mails!! I thought it was going to need replacement, a cost of $20,000 using a wood/plastic composite. I am glad I didn't spend all that money- I would have had a plastic deck (Trex )that would scratch/warp/stain/turn to plastic-dust ( according to reviews at http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/trex_composite_decking.html) Instead, I have a sturdy splinter free redwood deck and $18,000 still in my pocket. Environmentally I saved as well, by 'fixing & reusing rather than buying/manufacturing plastics that would end up un-decomposed in a landfill one day. If you want a facelift on your old deck- Summit Deck Doctors is the way to go. If you think your deck is dying and needs to be buried & replaced, don't do so without asking Summit Deck Doctors to resuscitate it.

Description of Work
Strip/clean/repair/stain deck

Category decks, deck cleaning, house painters

Work Completed On 05/05/2015

Yup, amazing what a bit of TLC can do! We often are called up with the potential client asking us to replace their deck, but we can often show them how to patch things up for a tenth of the price and make it last for another decade. Try us out!

04/12/2015

Dana N.

-Solid estimate -Good communications -Work performed carefully -Outcome of the deck is a great result with excellent color choice.

Description of Work
Decks refinished & stained.

Work Completed On 09/29/2014

Many thanks for the lovely review! A pleasure working for you and your husband in such a beautiful locale. Good color choice. Don't forget to make sure the gutters are cleaned out before El Nino: gutters overflowing leads to water cascading onto decks and eventually working its way through the deck stain to expose the boards underneath.

09/28/2014

Robert R.

Needed work done quickly & Rupert was able to get it done on time.

Description of Work
Great customer service! Work done professionally and on time!

Work Completed On 09/09/2014

We were able to slot your project in between other jobs in order to meet the tight deadline of your daughter having a reception on the deck. Normally we can start within 10 days of signing and have the job done in 3 days or so afterwards. One thing clients like is that we are a "deck maintenance machine" - we start when we say we will, the team work on your job every day until the job is done, and we finish within the agreed completion date. Peace of mind in an uncertain world.

08/26/2014

BOB F.

They arrived on time and completed the work when expected. The price was a little more expensive then another guy, but he did great work.

Description of Work
They refinished a wood deck.

Work Completed On 05/06/2014

Glad you liked the quality; we put in a lot of effort to get it just right, the way you wanted it. Yours was a relatively smaller deck. Small decks inevitably cost more per square foot than larger decks, as all the costs of client liaison, client briefing, and logistics have to be borne, whatever the size of the deck. Appreciate the work.

08/20/2014

JEFF B.

Rupert began the job on the day and time agreed to. He and a second worker carefully removed all of the existing redwood deck boards from the portion of my deck I had agreed to repair. They were careful to preserve all boards by prying them up from underneath (after removing the first board in the middle). They then inspected all removed boards for rot and fungus growth and other structural damage and sorted them into a still good, possibly good, and likely bad piles. I was asked to review each board in each pile to confirm which boards I wanted to re-use. They did a great job of categorizing the removed deck boards as I agreed with their judgement. After removing and sorting all of the old deck boards, they then removed all of the old, rotten/deterioriated wood support structure that was causing "squishy" boards, causing nails to stick-up, and causing a generally uneven and uncomfortable deck surface. They then removed years worth of leave litter and rotten wood debris from the exposed concrete surface. Next, they built an entirely new and extremely solid support structure out of pressure treated 4x4 posts. This support structure was leveled and reinforced so thoroughly that I could just tell it would last for 30 years or so. They then properly spaced each board onto the newly-built support structure while using new deck screws to secure each. The whole job took 4 days but only because they took so much care and attention to detail in the work they did. The rebuilt portion of my deck is so solid and tight that I feel sure it will last for another 30 years. They will be returning to stain the old and new wood to ensure that the deck is protected for years to come from the elements, foot traffic, and lawn furniture. I wouldn't have rewarded them with the staining job if they didn't earn my praise on the carpentry/rebuild job. I would recommend Summit Deck Doctor for your repair job. The alternative to repairing half my deck was to pay 4 times what I paid for repair. I feel like I did the right thing with Summit.

Description of Work
Carefully removed all existing redwood deck boards from about 50% of my deck (per my request), removed all rotting/deteriorated old support structure, installed new pressure treated support structure and properly interfaced it with the existing section of the deck not being rebuilt, re-secured the still-good old deck boards and added necessary new redwood deck boards to complete the rebuild of that portion of my deck.

Category decks, woodworking

Work Completed On 08/13/2014

Happy we could save you so much money. Must of our deck repair work is delaying the evil day when the deck needs to be replaced. If you can keep it safe and looking good for another 10-15 years at a fraction of the cost, well, why wouldn't you?! Very cost-effective, no permits needed (in general) and little disruption to your life. Thanks again for the kind review.

01/11/2014

Allan M.

Rupert & crew showed up on time, did great work and provided plenty of communication . Everything was clear and understandable and completed on time.

Description of Work
Rupert and crew added on a 5'x50' addition to my existing deck including railings and post

Work Completed On 12/15/2013

Thanks for being a fun client to work with! My colleagues enjoyed knowing that the deck extension we built was to be used for your outdoor home concerts. With a spectacular view of a nearby lake, cablerail made the view accessible. And, building an extension was a very cost-effective solution to adding usable space. I am glad we were also to keep it looking good by putting on a layer of semitransparent stain. Do give us a call in a few years' time when it needs a refresh; we will be happy to work for you again!

09/27/2013

MARGARET U.

They did a good job of coating the deck. I'm satisfied, it was a nice job. I don't recall the cost of the work.

Description of Work
Summit Deck Doctor put a new coating on my deck.

Work Completed On 06/20/2013

I must say your deck is such a beautiful deck with a lovely Norwegian style set of handrails and a bell-tower, even! Your husband did a fabulous job in building it all those years ago and my colleagues marvel at how much better it looks now that we have rejuvenated it by removing all that nasty gray fungus and re-staining it. I am glad you liked the color we mixed up for you to bring out the red and yellow tones of the wood underneath. A pleasure working with you!

08/14/2013

Gail B.

Rupert arrived on time for all meetings - quote and actual repair. He always does a great job and a pleasure to have around. Cleans up very well after the job. I've use him regularly for several years.

Description of Work
Deck repair; replace boards and shove up overall.

Work Completed On 10/01/2012

Laugh! Yes, I must have worked on your aging deck at least twice over the last decade, as I try my best to keep it from falling down and having to be replaced! And yours is the first pink deck we ever stained, all those years ago! Always a pleasure working with you; thanks for taking a moment to write a review to let others know of your experience.

08/02/2013

Linda T.

Rupert was great. Very responsive, timely, polite, and customer friendly. He called back quickly for estimates and questions, provided good supervision to his crew! and did excellent work. He came and supplied on schedule.

Description of Work
Repaired deck Power washed Painted Clean up and repositioned plants and furniture

Category decks, deck cleaning, pressure washing, house painters

Work Completed On 05/15/2013

Thanks for your kind compliments. We appreciated the work, which included building a large deck extension, fixing rotten planks at the front, reinforcing a rotten ramp-way, filling knot holes, and, of course, refinishing your 5 decks. I am glad we were able to start in enough time to have it finished a week before your party! I hope you agree that the color match we were able to do for your deck stain made the entire deck look seamless! Thanks again! My colleagues and I enjoyed working with you.

06/29/2013

Dawn C.

Ruppert is very personable and has proven to be timely and reliable. We have used his "Deck Doctor" services twice now. Great results!

Description of Work
Deck cleaned and sanded where needed, and then covered with a sealant.

Work Completed On 07/31/2011

What could better than a client who has used us three times over more than a decade? We appreciate your continuing trust and open recommendations to your neighbors. Pictures of your back deck are actually my favorite images on our website (look under tan stain colors). See you again in a few years!

04/25/2013

LEE T.

.I had about 900 sq. ft. of redwood deck and 200 ft. of handrails that badly needed cleaning and refinishing. I found Summit Deck Doctor on Angie's List, and checked out their website. They had prices clearly stated there so I could calculate the approximate cost (actually, there was one error on the price list which threw my calculation off, but it has since been corrected). The owner, Rupert, came to make a quotation. He measured and inspected my decks, and made several useful recommendations. I decided to have the decks done, but only the handrail top caps, to save money. The vertical slats and posts of the handrail don't take as much abuse from the sun as horizontal surfaces, so I thought I could pressure wash and stain them myself. They arrived on schedule and went right to work. Their pressure washer is industrial strength and did the job well and quickly. They also washed the underside of my decks and applied fungicide all over. Because parts of my decks are 12 ft. above ground, they couldn't do a thorough job washing that part, but made their best effort. Rupert explained all that before I signed the contract. Sporadic rainfall caused one or two days delay in applying the stain, but Rupert called every day to check with me, and they came to do the staining as soon as conditions permitted. The job was completed on time, and looks really good. The wood had gotten grey and weathered, and now looks like redwood again. One plank was replaced with new redwood, so I can compare the refinished wood with the new. It's not exactly the same, but close. Overall, I am very pleased with the results. One piece of advice: staining the verticals on the handrails was VERY tedious. Doing the top caps is the easy part, because they are flat and easy to reach. The caps are probably less than 10% of the total handrail effort. So if you can afford it, have Rupert do the entire handrail. But if you want to save money and can handle a paintbrush, negotiate a price for the pressure wash and fungicide application of the handrails, and stain them yourself. He doesn't have a price listed for that, but I'm sure he will try to accommodate you. Rupert and his crew (Michael) are friendly, conscientious and easy to work with. And there's no BS sales pitch. I highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Pressure wash and refinish redwood decks and handrails, plus minor repairs.

Category decks, pressure washing

Work Completed On 04/11/2013

Thanks for your gracious compliments! We enjoyed working on your decks and making them tidy to increase the value of your home. Yes, handrail verticals are time-consuming and hard to get superconsistent without a practiced spray arm; I urge Angieslist clients not to try to stain them themselves; a paintbrush, as seen here, is very slow, and using a spraygun, as we do, needs technique and a hefty investment in dropcloths (which homeowners will never recover, but which we can use time and again). If you are short of money, we can just stain the handrail caps. It is the horizontal surfaces that get 5 times as much as UV as vertical surfaces, so it's best to keep them from getting that gray fungus on them. On the plus side, once you have your handrail verticals refinished, you won't have to refinish them for 2 stain cycles. And, it is the verticals you mainly see from your patio window. More info can be found in our newly-published 90 page book: "Deckology: The Art and Science iof Deck Finishing and Carpentry." You can buy it on Amazon.com (all proceeds go to Loma Prieta Edicational Fund) or you can download it from our website (click on "Deckology" button on our website). I do recommend you quickly measure up your deck surface and length of your handrails and chek your budget with our price chart (click on that big button in the middle of the homepage of www.SummitDeckDoctor.com). You can measure your deck fairly accurately in 3 minutes, and then you don't have to wait for an appointment for someone to write you up a quote, and everybody gets the same price. Oh, and we give you $100 off your bill if you do this before you call. "Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy," as we say in England. A pleasure working with you; hope the house sale goes well!

03/26/2013

Judy B.

Rupert Hart is a very nice person. He came out just to give me an estimate of what the cost would be. I got another person too, and they are not able to come out till April. Rupert is English. When I talked to him he asked me did you go to my web site and I said no I did not do that and I did not know that I was supposed to do that. He said by doing so you can read about all the stuff. So, I did that and then I called him back and he was kind of curt. My backyard and the deck I want is not too long and that was the criteria. So, I called him back and I said I do not think that this is going to work, because what you are saying is I do not have a backyard that big, so may be this is not going to work for you, and he said Oh! No no no, I should not have put that in there and I should take that out. I said then come over and look at it anyway, so he did. He was very nice and I think may be he was just having a bad day that day when he called me in the first time. He was very nice after that. We have been e-mailing back and forth and keeping in contact. I think that it is from all those reviews that I have seen, he is very good. He knows his stuff and that is the good part. However, I want to get another estimate too so I can kind of compare. So I will have the other guy come out before I make an absolute decision, but so far I like Summit, he is good and he knows his stuff.

Description of Work
I got a quote from Rupert Hart, at Summit Deck Doctor, for a new deck.

Work Completed On 03/21/2013

Hi [member name removed], Thanks for the nice review. We had been just updating our website, and there were some errors in it, which you pointed out. One of the advantages of our company is that we publish our prices, so you can get an instant price quote, just by clicking on our "price your project here" button. You don't have to wait to organize for someone to come around, you have checked your budget quickly, you don't need to haggle, and know what to expect. We love Angieslist members, and hope you will all find this feature useful!

07/27/2012

Steven E.

Rupert is the best - I have used him several times over a period of 6 years and have had nothing but the best experience with him. You would have to be crazy to have a bad experience with him. As usual, a phone call lead to an estimate the next day. Rupert has a history of talking me out of more expensive ideas, and has an ultra-pragmatic approach to his build and repair engineering. He de-comped his quote into modules based on the many things I needed across several areas of my extensive deckwork and I decline 4 days later construction began. Rupert's team doing the major work let me know when he was done for the day but otherwise just worked super hard all day... I was amazed at what he got done and it reassured me that I had made the right choice. I was out of town during the staining but have always found that Rupert's team are great with making sure I know when something has been stained - or if construction is still underway - for safety. Anyhow: 10 days later or so, my major repairs and restaining are done and the entire experience of entering my house now feels rock solid... before it was like a trampoline. My only complaint is that now I want the rest of my deck to have the same solid quality as the parts Rupert has fixed for me. He can help me - first I need more money. :) Least flakey contractor I've ever worked with.

Description of Work
This was a cluster of small and major deck repairs including: • Major rebuild on 3' x10' section of deck.• Build 12' x 3' retaining wall • Build 3' long railing.• Fix 10' foundation under set of stairs that was sliding on the hill.• Wash and Stain 15' x 30' deck and 4 stairs• Fix two ~6' boards on back deck.• Fix loose board near hot tub.• Probably other stuff I forgot Measurements above are approximate / eyeballed.

Category decks, deck cleaning, pressure washing, woodworking, house painters

Work Completed On 07/27/2012

Review for Summit Deck Doctor - 7265 Hihn Rd, BEN LOMOND, CA - 4672657

always a pleasure working with you, Member. Glad you are happy!

05/23/2012

Catherine W.

The final result is beautiful. We are very pleased with their work.I found them to be very punctual, tidy and thorough. From the time I sent an inquiry on Angies List to the time Rupert called me was only a couple of hours. We scheduled a meeting for the following day for a review of the job scope and an estimate. Rupert showed up at the time of the appointment, took a few measurements, reviewed the overall scope in a very clear and detailed manner so that we both understood what the job would include and he reviewed the different stain options in great detail. He provided an estimate on the spot and I signed a contract and the workers arrived as scheduled the following day to begin work. The workers were very courteous, provided temporary protection for plans and surroundings so that stain would not drop and were very good about communicating when they arrived, approximately how long they would be there, etc.Overall experience was excellent.

Description of Work
Summit Deck Doctors refinished 3 very large decks including the hand rails. The decks were very old and looked very dark and ugly when they started the job. Summit Deck Doctors cleaned the decks with a chemical wood cleaner, hammered down nails that were raised up, and restained and sealed the decks.

Work Completed On 05/21/2012

It sure turned out spectacularly beautiful, didn't it? I think your color choice workeed very well with the blue flowers that spring up every Spring around your deck. We also appreciated your reading through our website before we came so you were superbly well-informed about the options available! A pleasure!

05/01/2012

Brandon S.

I was very pleased with the entire process. Rupert was very flexible in meeting me when my schedule was open. I was prepared ahead of time to tell him exactly what I was looking to do so the initial process didn't take very long. Rupert was extremely thorough in his estimate. He had the exact scope that we discussed on the estimate with drawings of the individual elements. He explained the terms and conditions in grea