McCaleb Construction Inc

Tucson, AZ 85715

Additional contact name - Judy S McCaleb. Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist

09/28/2016

Christie C.

It was not a good experience working with them and both I and my current professional designer feel that McCaleb ripped me off. Kevin, the designer for McCaleb is a very nice and professional person however, his ideas are not as exciting as I'd hoped for. When I encouraged him to design more creatively he informed me that they design only what they think a client can afford to build. Well, no wonder he was holding back on the cool designs, every change he made had to then be submitted to their cost estimator who uses up the hours paid for and comes back with VERY high prices (way over a competitive budget). Kevin was very knowledgeable about cabinets but McCaleb's prices were very inflated and we could not have possibly afforded to build with this company. I was very disappointed with McCaleb construction and when I addressed it with John McCaleb, he got quite rude and was only willing to refund a small amount from my bill although I was walking away with nothing to show for all that money we spent. Even with a very simple design change, his estimates for just a kitchen came up to about 40% more than I am paying to get a much better kitchen through a different designer. He might be a great builder IF you have unlimited funds, otherwise, hire someone else. He turned out to be an arrogant crook.

Description of Work
McCaleb Construction was hired to provide design services/cost estimating with option to have them build the project. They did provide design some design services and cost estimating.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

04/02/2016

William J.

Excellent company to work with for a kitchen redo. Prices were very competitive. Quality was outstanding,. The job took a bit longer than expected but the end result was outstanding. The countertops were subbed to Trinity Kitchen and Bath. They did an excellent job as well. Richard was our craftsman on site and we could not have been happier. Thanks!!!!

Description of Work
Refaced all cabinets and drawers. New quartz countertops.

09/15/2014

Allen Z.

John McCaleb himself returned my email and about re-roofing my home. He very honestly told me his company basically did larger jobs and that he would only be sub-contracting if I wanted him to do the work. I appreciated that honesty and the fact that he gave me the name and number for a local contractor who was reliable. McCaleb Construction seemed like a good bet as a place to start since his company was involved in a job featured on the popular and quot;This Old Houseand quot; TV show. I was glad he called me back..

Description of Work
We had an informative telephone conversation about the roof on my house.

Category remodeling, roofing

01/19/2014

Sara E.

The estimate was so high, we simply paid for that and terminated the relationship.

Description of Work
Provided an estimate only. It was sky-high and at least 50% higher than others. They seem to do lovely work, but they are clearly interested only in doing luxury work at super-luxury prices. (And ours is a lovely home, and our previous contractors/designers, etc. have been top notch.) We didn't even consider proceeding with McCaleb.We expected to pay for the estimate and did so, but did not hire the firm for the job.

Category remodeling

04/25/2013

philip S.

just an estimate

Description of Work
We got aa estimate that was three times what the next highest was. The guy who did the remodel did s great job at 1/4 the McClaib est. I guess being on this old house justifies a crazy high price, if your a rich Republican -go for it. All others, don't bother.!

03/18/2013

Arthur S.

It was a long process; the project was about a year long or more. If we had any problem, they followed through and fixed everything. They sub-contracted everything. They are a contractor so they do not directly do plumbing. They came when they said when they would and were responsive to all our issues.

Description of Work
We used McCaleb Construction Inc for a total house remodel. The work included remodeling of the kitchen, bath, flooring, windows, doors, painting, stucco work, outside work, and utility work.

Category ceramic tile, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, home builders, stucco, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, doors

02/28/2013

Ruth M.

Their quoted price was about $80,000. Nothing special stands out but they did what I asked and were friendly when they stopped in. I decided not to do the room addition because of the cost.

Description of Work
I got a bid from McCaleb Construction to build a one bedroom addition on my house.

Category remodeling

11/05/2012

Jim P.

It went well. The workmen were competent and communicative.

Description of Work
Bathroom cabinets, doors, and exterior repairs to soffit.

Category remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

09/08/2011

Karl B.

Although their bid was the highest, I choose them because their bid detailed a unique method to remove old Vigas, install metal mounting hardware, and mount the new Vigas on the outside of the repaired stucco. Another reason in choosing them was that Mack, who explained what was going to be done, appeared very experienced and knowledgeable in Viga replacement. I was extremely pleased with Mack, who did or supervised most of the work. He is a bit of a perfectionist, keeping me well informed and paying attention to the smallest of details. The end result is clearly a very professional job. Both the new stucco texture and paint match the rest of the house quite nicely, and the new Vigas are perfectly aligned. During this job, some loose stucco was discovered on the garage parapet and that repair was added to the contract without going for separate bids.

Description of Work
McCaleb Construction, Inc. removed and replaced several Vigas, and repaired loose stucco on the garage parapet roof.

Category remodeling, stucco

05/10/2011

Andrea E.

They just came out to see if it was feasible or not and they gave a broad estimate. They wanted me to sign a contract to start the design process so they could charge for the estimate. It made me gun shy because I didn’t want to get a few thousand dollars into the process then not want to do it. It is a good company for someone 100% confident and they were a lot more professional than other companies I spoke with. For me, I wasn’t certain what I wanted to do so I didn’t move forward with the process.

Description of Work
McCaleb Construction gave me an estimate for a kitchen remodel.

10/04/2010

Liz W.

I wouldn’t recommend them to anybody because they gave me an estimate and then refused to return my calls. When I finally got hold of somebody, they told me that they had to come back out to another estimate as they had lost my paperwork. They also told me that it would cost me a percentage of the price, a design fee; even I didn’t decide to go with them. The estimate was for $12000. I would tell the others not to use them. I will not use this company again in the future.

Description of Work
I got a quote from McCaleb Construction Inc. for bathroom remodeling, a year ago.

10/04/2010

Jim P.

Good work and punctual.

Description of Work
remodeled bathroom and replaced soffit on patio roof overhang.

Category roofing, home remodeling

08/12/2010

Leonard S.

My husband and I had McCaleb come out to provide a cost estimate for remodeling our kitchen. John McCaleb was engaging and professional, and suggested we meet with McCaleb's design team to discuss our options for the kitchen. We sent in a $500 retainer, fully intending to move forward. When we met with 2 designers a few weeks later, we were disappointed with the experience. My husband and I quickly realized that our budget was smaller than what was needed for a full kitchen remodel, but the designers did not seem willing to work within our budget, or even suggest partial renovation options. Furthermore, when we asked for our check back, I was only reimbursed for $450.That left a poor impression on me, and I'm unlikely to use McCaleb in the future.

Description of Work
McCaleb's design team provided a cost estimate for remodeling the kitchen - it was not a free estimate. McCaleb doubtlessly does quality work; they are just very expensive.

06/15/2010

Jim H.

I am a very personal friend of John McCaleb. His price was more than we could afford so we didn't use him. His estimate and services were extremely professional. He is very highly rated and thought of. I have friends that were very happy with him. I would use him if I could afford him.

Description of Work
We got a quote from McCaleb Construction for remodeling two bathrooms.

03/19/2008

Guy G.

There isn't space to tell the whole saga so I won't try. This was my first experience with this scale of construction/remodel in my home, so I was initiated to all the little glitches and unpleasant surprises (my slab has no reinforcement!) which crop up when you tear apart and rebuild part of an existing house. This kind of undertaking is never easy and so I was glad to have people with the experience and resources to handle whatever cropped up. The McCaleb crew was reliable, experienced and pleasant, willing to make whatever corrections needed, and I am quite happy with the final result. Their price was lower than I expected for the scope of work and McCaleb will definitely get the first call for bidding on my next project. My project manager was Abe and the crew was James, Ben and Doug, best I can recall. I got on well with them all. In the end I got it done just the way I wanted and for that I thank them.

Description of Work
This was a bathroom remodel and additional work in two bedrooms. I did most of the gut and the design myself. I selected and supplied the cabinets, fixtures and tile, so the price for the job is almost all labor. McCaleb Construction sent a crew of 2-3 men out every week-day day for three weeks. They had to break the slab to install a shower with recessed base (where a tub had been) and move a toilet, and did some framing to build a new soffit. They did all the plumbing, drywall, tile work on the floor and shower walls, and cabinet installation. A different contractor handled the electrical. I also had them lay tile (supplied by me) in two bedrooms which I had prepped for tile installation, and they also re-textured and primed a ceiling in one of the bedrooms. This is all included in the price listed.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, picture framing, plumbing, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

07/31/2006

THEY WERE A VERY LOW MAINTENANCE COMPANY. THEY CAME ON TIME AND DID THE JOB EXACTLY LIKE WE WANTED. THE STAFF WAS VERY COURTEOUS AND SEEMED TO HAVE A WIDE VARIETY OF KNOWLEDGE OF THEIR PROFESSION. OVERALL THEY WERE GREAT, I WOULD RECOMMEND THEM.

Description of Work
WE HAD ALL THE BATHROOMS, THE LIVING ROOM, AND OUR KITCHEN COMPLETELY REDONE.

Category remodeling, home remodeling