GUY'S WITS END

Phoenix, AZ 85050

Handyman...

06/22/2012

FRED S.

They were good, on-time, and met the quote.

Description of Work
They did general fixes for us.

05/06/2011

MARK G.

I was extremely disappointed with the service. Note that I have given nine reviews on Angies List and all of them A reviews. I normally do not give a bad review unless I have to. Guy bills by the hour but stated that he was usually close to the hours estimated. In this case no. He was way off on his bid and was only able to install half the windows. He had absolutely no idea what the scope of work was before he started. Later he admitted that he had not installed windows for two years, and it showed. I wish he had told me that before he started -- it would have saved this headache since I never would have hired him. He simply is not qualified in my opinion to install windows. Why? What was the problem? 1. Did not realize that a lift was required to raise windows to second floor. 2. Did not install windows properly to the stud. Installed them over the stucco. 3. Used screw on lower part which can cause leaks. 4. Did not attach the floor-level lock plate on patio doors at all. 5. Was not able to ascertain why doors would not lock. Did not contact manufacturer for assistance. 6. Did not understand all the parts required and lost some parts of the lock. 7. Did not handle customer service professionally. He essentially hung up on me when questioned. 8. Did not use any flashing what so ever. 9. Said he could come back and it would take five minutes to re-install properly. This is again a gross underestimation of the work involved. Same mistake he made initially. I ended up paying him the $1,040 to install six windows/patio doors. I had to get someone else qualified to re-do the entire project. I hope Angie's List can do something to get my money back; otherwise I will have to go to court to get it back. Every statement in this report is factually true. I wish Guy would just admit that he does not know how to install this type of window.

Description of Work
Guy quoted me $1,000 to install 13 windows. They are high end Anderson 400 and 100 series windows.

Category handyman service, replacement windows

I removed and replaced 4 windows and 2 sliding glass doors for $640.00 and used 3 people for the job. The customer stated that he was having the house re-stuccoed so I set the windows with that in mind. The customer then called to tell me that the job hadn't been done correctly. I told him twice that I would come over at no additional charge--and correct the issue. It would have taken less than 1 1/2 hours to fix. The customer then became confrontational and defensive and stated that I was "not qualified". My other customers for whom I have done windows and/or doors have not had issues with my work. I believe this to be a very biased review.

03/08/2011

Richard B.

He did what he was supposed to do. The only thing I found to be annoying was that he did not have a cell phone and I was going in and out to do other things. He was here all day and I could not get in touch with him. That was not a good thing for customer service.

Description of Work
I used Guy's Wits End in December 2009. He did some handyman work. He installed about 10 ceiling fans in our home.

Category handyman service, ceiling fans

11/29/2010

Tracy W.

On time, professional, honest and ethical

Description of Work
Put in doorbell and shelving. Great job!

08/27/2010

Patricia C.

They were far too expensive. They did an okay job with the quote itself.

Description of Work
They gave me an estimate for painting two rooms and fixing a ceiling.

Category drywall, interior painters

06/17/2010

JANET B.

Excellent, timely work at a very reasonable price.

Description of Work
Installed new side door from garage to back yard.

Category handyman service, doors

04/13/2010

YVONNE C.

Good communication, resonable prices, on time - what more could you ask for?

Description of Work
Picked up fence slats at Home Depot, removed old slats and replaced. Guy replaced rotted slats on both gates to our backyard. He also trimmed the bottom on two bathroom doors where I had the flooring replaced and the doors rubbed. He tightened one bathroom faucet.

Category fencing, handyman service

12/07/2009

Alice C.

He was very good and we would call him back.

Description of Work
He tore out a kitchen.

07/02/2009

LYNN S.

He was one of three people I called. One of two who did not come to give an estimate. He probably should have because he had to custom make a part and could not get the part from stock. His work was acceptable, but the caulking was not as good, but he stated he would come back and fix what needed to be done. He knows what he is doing.

Description of Work
He repaired a door.

06/19/2009

Dustin F.

I called another handyman who came out the next day to look at the job to be done. This handyman installed the door in an hour (that day) and my house has not collapsed or caught on fire (it has been over a year now). Maybe GWE was just too busy.

Description of Work
Asked about installing electronic dog door. They refused to do the job after I described it to them b/c they were worried about violating building codes. I'm not sure how they came to the conclusion that they were going to violate a building code based on my unknowledgeable description of work that needed to be done. I said o.k. thanks and hung up.

05/14/2009

Stacy V.

Guy has done a lot of work for me and he's always terrific. In 2 separate visits he repaired my garbage disposal-all he needed to do was clean off some rust-repaired my sliding shower door, which was sticking, and installed 3 ceiling fans. I always appreciate Guy's honesty. It took no more than a minute for him to scrape rust off of the bottom of my disposal. And he repaired the shower door almost as quickly. He always does a pristine job of installing ceiling fans. As always, Guy is prompt, professional and honest and can fix just about anything!

Description of Work
Guy repaired my garbage disposal, shower door, and installed 3 ceiling fans.

Category handyman service, plumbing, ceiling fans, doors

02/04/2009

Stacy V.

Guy had come over yesterday to check my broken garage door and advised me I needed a new opener, which I purchased. Today he realized that both springs were broken and suggested I use a garage door specialist. I was impressed with his honesty about that. He then installed a new ceiling fan. Guy has done handywork for me before and I appreciate that he can fix just about anything and is honest.

Description of Work
Guy installed a new ceiling fan. He was also going to install a new garage door opener but noticed that the springs were broken and suggested I use a garage door specialist.

10/20/2008

SARAH M.

I left a message for Guy on Thursday. I wasn't leaning towards using a Handyman, but it turns out that Guy was the only one (out of 5 companies I left messages)to return my phone call. He came out to my house, gave a detailed estimate/bid on what would be needed to repair the drywall and included some additional work that would be needed on the insulation. He did some additional research on the insulation and follow up with us to share the information. I will update this review once the work is completed.

Description of Work
Guy provided an estimate on some drywall repairs. I marked down in the responsiveness category because it took him 2 days to return my phone call. Otherwise, he arrived on time for the appointment and provided great follow up.

Category drywall

10/16/2008

David P.

Guy shows up on time, every time. We had talked on the telephone and discussed the items I needed completed. He immediately got to work and finished items very quickly.

Description of Work
Guy did a number of things around the house. He leveled my washing machine and installed a sliding screen door. He replaced a towel bar and hung a hook in a bathroom. He installed 18 knobs and pulls on kitchen cabinets and 4 knobs on a bathroom vanity. He also installed a curtain rod. He replaced my ventilation fan in the kitchen.

Category handyman service, ceiling fans

07/18/2008

Steven M.

On our first appointment at 10:00 am, Guy showed up early and left before I arrived at 9:58. When I called him, he said, "I usually wait thirty minutes. We can reschedule." No apology on his end. Since he was so well regarded on Angie's list, I did reschedule. He showed an hour late on two subsequent visits. Guy estimated site unseen that the job would take from 1 to 3 hours, and it took him 5 hours. During the work, I helped Guy out a little, and during these moments, it seemed that Guy was not familiar with windows. First, he was confused as to the orientation of the window. Later, he said, "Well, I am getting really good at doors, but windows..." So, I thought he would figure it out. He had to jury rig the window, cutting some flanges, and then he installed the window. The finish work was done poorly. He installed the sill flush with the wall, when I asked for an inch and a half overhang. The drywall work inside was weak, with corner bead protruding, gaps, and glopped on mud. Corners of windows had wood protruding, and a piece of corner bead protruding. The trim on the outside had uneven corner joints, and he partially caulked the huge gaps left in the installation. In his note, he said, "Sorry it took so long. Looks good, though." He was right on the first part, but it did not look good. Maybe I expected too much from a handyman, but he said he could do the job and I feel like it could have been done better and faster, if he knew more about what he was doing. Guy was very courteous and a nice guy, but I don't think he did a great job installing my new window. I wrote him a letter with his check, and he cashed the check, but did not respond to my letter.

Description of Work
Guy removed a 36" X 30" window and installed a 36" X 36" aluminum window. He reframed the area for the new window, installed the window, installed a sill, finished the interior and exterior, including trim on the outside. He spackled and caulked around the new installation.

Category replacement windows

07/16/2008

Stacy V.

Guy arrived on time and completely repaired 2 old outdoor gates that were falling off their hinges. The gates work perfectly and he repaired them without having to completely replace them. His work was timely and he left no mess. He had told me his hourly rate at the time of estimate and even gave me the receipt for parts he had to buy.

Description of Work
Repaired 2 outside gates.

Category fencing

04/24/2008

Katherine .

We had electricians run wiring for four ceiling fans, but found later that one didn't work properly; one had to have the light fixture removed; I had bought the wrong length extension for another, and we decided to move one to another room. Guy took me to Home Depot to exchange the defective fan, and buy new extensions. He then re-installed the fans in question, and made all the necessary changes. He then took down the old light fixtures and installed the new ones for us. (They are beautiful!) When we decided to paint, he brought a helper to move a large bookcase/entertainment center, and made sure that nothing was set on my dining room table, which tends to be susceptible to marring and scratching. Guy is a careful worker; always checking to make certain he's providing what I needed and doesn't hesitate to tell me if a job is not within his range of skills. The door we needed rehung had a stripped screw, which he replaced. Guy is friendly and considerate; when I needed to reschedule because of chronic health problems, he was always accommodating.

Description of Work
Guy Thorpe has installed ceiling fans and light fixtures, repaired a door that was improperly hung by another workman, and painted several rooms for me, at different times, over the past several months.

Category handyman service, lighting, ceiling fans, doors

09/27/2007

MRS DL W.

They did a great job. The shelves were extremely heavy, but they moved them without a problem and reassembled them perfectly. They worked very hard to get the job done on time and were very personable, answering all of my questions.

Description of Work
Guy's Wits End moved a piano for me and moved and reassembled some book shelves for me.

Category handyman service, piano moving

09/18/2007

STEVE B.

Basically, this company did everything for me that I could not do. They are a general handyman company and they do great work. They do all kinds of stuff for me. They did fabulous this time and the charge was fair. I was very happy with the services they provided.

Description of Work
Guys Wits End hung a door for me and redid some of the plumbing in my house.

09/18/2007

VALERIE & BOB C.

Their prices are high because he raised his rate a little while ago. I was not thrilled with their work. I thought the quality was fair. He had a weird personality, and he gave me the creeps. I probably would not hire them again.

Description of Work
They did some interior painting in my 2750 square feet home, after doing some prep work. They also did some minor repairs around the house like fixing a damaged wall and a door that was not shutting properly. They charged $30 per hour.

09/14/2007

sandy C.

They did a wonderful job. They installed the shingles perfectly and left my roof looking beautiful. They are very professional and respectful. They cleaned up very well after the job which I liked very much. The price was very good and reasonable. I would recommend these guys very much. I will absolutely use them for any future jobs.

Description of Work
They put in new shingles on the roof of my 3000 square foot home. They cleaned everything up very nicely when they left.

08/03/2007

Scott S.

He was prompt, competent, neat, friendly. He completed the tasks I requested and I was very happy with his work.

Description of Work
Guy took down 2 ceiling fans, reinstalled one, and installed a new ceiling fan. He also put up a light fixture and installed dimmer switches for it.

Category electrician, lighting, ceiling fans

07/06/2007

BARBARA V.

Guy was great. He showed up on time, with help for the larger pieces, and worked quickly. Great job.

Description of Work
Removed two built-in cabinet sets, a mounted shelf and an enormous built-in entertainment center.

06/21/2007

Patricia L.

He did a good job on the grab bars in the shower. The electrical work was not satisfactory.

Description of Work
Put some grouting in the shower. Installed overhead lights but did a poor job.

Category lighting

06/21/2007

LIONEL H.

I was very pleased with his workmanship. He was able to take care of so many loose ends that had been on my to do list for months. There were also projects that talking about with him really helped, and with out getting into a long dragged out conversation that took us both away from our day's work. One small thing that means a lot to me: Guy called on the 2nd day saying he would be 35 to 45 minutes late. I was really fine with his delay in arrival, and his heads up call was all I needed to keep the day on track. He was pleasant to have around. Not too talky and yet friendly, helpful and comfortable to have in our home.

Description of Work
Painting small kitchen, list of odds and ends: hanging towel rack, replace bathroom light, fix light witch, hanging curtain rod, numerous little things to hang up on walls, helped resolve shower knob gunk ( hopefully not a leak), help resolve why not to put in shelving above 3 windows due to stud issues etc. List of little fixups.

Donhauser Plumbing Inc

Donhauser Plumbing is a family owned and operated company, licensed (Registrar of Contractors), bonded and insured. Our business was established in 1983. We pride ourselves in doing quality work at a fair price. We are open Monday thru Friday. Saturday and Sunday by appointment only. We do not accept credit cards and we request payment upon completion, cash or check only.

Organized by Design

At Organized by Design, AZ, we design custom closets for clients in Cave Creek, AZ. If you need a unit built within a certain time frame, you may want to work with us since our custom closet builders have flexible schedules. We use special building supplies during every project because we’re an environmentally friendly company. Because we’re custom builders, we can design units that have components for crafting materials, gift wrapping accessories, and sewing supplies. If your current closet is narrow, we’ll make a workstation that has a desk that pulls out. Our designers will also include additional drawers in convenient spots to accommodate crafting accessories and supplies.

Complete Water Systems LLC

Complete Water Systems LLC is family owned & operated. Providing a complete array of Whole Home Water Treatment Products (Reverse Osmosis systems / Water Softeners / Whole Home Filtration / Salt Free Conditioners / Bacteria Removal UV Systems and more) Offering Sales – Service – Maintenance – Parts – Filters Serving Phoenix Arizona and metropolitan area We provide the Highest Quality Components such as Clack - Fleck - Autotrol - Ultima - Vortech- Hydronix - Vertex and much more Made in the USA & systems assembled right here in Arizona

Handyman & Plumbing.