George Brazil Plumbing and Electrical

Founded 1955 • With Angi since August 2004

3.7

3830 S 38th St

Phoenix, AZ 85040

Modern Technology and Old-Fashioned Customer Service. For more than 60 years, George Brazil Plumbing & Electrical has been providing old fashioned, high quality, professional customer service in the plumbing and electrical service industry. Our mission is to foster an enjoyable working environment while creating comfortable, healthy, safe and energy efficient places to live and work in the Valley of the Sun....

09/12/2022

Sean H.

I scheduled a warranty service 4 months ago and they called the day they were supposed to come to tell me that they need to reschedule me 2.5 more months out due to high call volume that day. What a joke. Take your business elsewhere.

Description of Work
Warranty work on unit they sold me

08/17/2020

celia M.

not well. Was sold a new York ac for an astronomical price of over 14k. I learned I was ripped off. The day of install a tech fell through our ceiling. One month after install ac unit broke on Friday afternoon, tech came out fixed for 13 hours, broke Saturday tech came out fixed for 17 hours, broke again on Sunday and still waiting on tech to get here. It is almost 100 degrees in house. Very poor service. Filed complaint with BBB due to no response from their management team . Do not use them

Description of Work
Ac repair replacement

Category countertops

11/27/2019

Juergen R.

A lots of checks and troubleshooting on wiring, GFCI outlet rewired, costs 460 USD for approximately one hour work, pump still does not work. Was told to contact a pool company.

Description of Work
Check electric supply and wiring to pool pump

Category electrician, wells

01/22/2019

Kristin S.

The consultant explained my options in a way that helped me decide what was best for my home. The installers were on time, efficient and clean. My new Heatpump is quiet and effective.

Description of Work
Replace old heatpump

08/13/2018

Kevin W.

Very Well. Prompt, Professional, and a job well done.

Description of Work
Replace Water Heater

Category plumbing, water heater repair

06/07/2018

Dennis H.

I had 5 different plumbing companies estimate the job. George Brazil was one of those estimates and it was the nearly the lowest. The person that came out initially and eventually completed the work gave me confidence the job would be done well and it was.

Description of Work
Rerouted hot water line through the attic space after a slab leak.

Category plumbing

[Member Name Removed], thank you for the opportunity to show you how we operate and to help you with your plumbing issue. We value your opinion and appreciate your business!

10/26/2017

Abigail A.

He did a very good job. He's very professional.

Description of Work
Electrical service.

Category handyman service

Thank you [Member Name Removed]for letting us know of your satisfaction with services. We appreciate you taking your time and we also appreciate you business!!

09/25/2017

Angela S.

After another electrician no showed I called George Brazil. And electrician showed up the same day, provided an estimate that we thought was mildly overpriced, but we needed the work done. We move forward and had a great experience! Super professional, honest, was neat and got the work done quickly. We had a great experience and would highly recommend.

Description of Work
New light fixtures installed and electric box repair.

Category electrician

Thank you [Member Name Removed]. We are glad that we could be there when you needed us. We are blessed to have wonderful professionals who pride themselves on always providing top quality work.

07/31/2017

Lala G.

They did the work in the rain without getting our house messy. They organized everything, including contacting the city for digging, and contacting the electric company to cut the power. They gave us a generator so that we would not be in the heat. They really thought of everything to make us comfortable. We have also used them for our AC tune up.

Description of Work
new electrical panel installation.

Category electrician

We are glad to be of service. We pride ourselves on always leaving your home in as good or better condition than when we were first arrive and to make you as comfortable as possible during the process. Thank you for your review and we look forward to providing plumbing and electrical services for you in the future.

04/03/2017

Wayne V.

If there were a perfect mark I would give them a perfect mark. They do a good job, and I get a different person each time so everybody has been professional through the years. For the instillation it was 2 and another guy who would come periodically to make sure they were doing everything. I use them the first time based purely on a commercial that I saw on TV.

Description of Work
Installed new heating and A/C system.

04/03/2017

Wayne V.

I think they are a full service company. We bought a 3 year service contract for $500. We have been using them every year for he last several years. I think there are people who do it for less money. I get calls and their special is $39.95. But all that we have had done for heading and A/C its about $60-70 for each inspection. They do such a good job. They are really clean and don't make a mess. They don't try to sell me things I don't need. I have no complaints. I would use them again.

Description of Work
They did a seasonal inspection of the furnace.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

03/29/2017

Craig W.

I did not feel the service technician was upfront about the charges. I had someone else come out and they said the items the the tech from George Brazil said were not in code were actually within code.

Description of Work
Water heater replacement

Category plumbing, water heater repair

Thanks for your candid feedback and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. As we expressed on the phone at the time of your complaint, we take all customer concerns to heart. We are not a company that will provide low-ball prices over the phone to get in the door and then change them on you later. Rather we have skilled experts assess the situation, provide you fixed upfront pricing, and let you decide on the facts rather than guesses. Further, water pressure fluctuates in a home, but whenever the water pressure is over 80 psi your home requires a pressure-reducing valve by code to protect your plumbing fixtures. Yours measured 85 psi at the time of service. Once a pressure-reducing valve is added to regulate pressure, it creates a closed-system and an expansion tank is necessary to allow dissipation of pressure created within the water heater with a closed system to avoid any damage to the water heater and a potentially dangerous condition. It is critically important for us to listen to the concerns from our customers, so we can work on being the best out there and delivering nothing but top-notch customer service.

03/13/2017

DENNIS B.

They were good; they came out when they said they would and I had no problem with that. We have used them a couple of times and I had the feeling that they try to sell you stuff you don't need. They did fix the air conditioner, I will say that. They fixed what they said they were going to fix and I didn't have the problem again. They didn't do anything necessarily dishonest or anything like that; I'm not sure if they were going to sell me a bill of goods or not. I'm sure they were more expensive than if I found some independent guy. There was one guy that was out there - that's the one I questioned because he went up in the attic and was looking at stuff and told me things I never heard of before.

Description of Work
They fixed the air conditioner.

01/17/2017

Richard B.

took over 4 hours to find problem. After several false starts finally determined that the breaker in outdoor pedestal had to be replaced. Then also found another problem (quite a coindence) and had to replace expensive cable from pedestal into breaker box. Did not leave me with the bad breaker to have checked out. Left me with no power to the shed. Did not go well at all. Way overpriced.

Description of Work
Troubleshooting and correction of power surges in mobile home.

Category electrician, plumbing

01/15/2017

Pam W.

John Endean showed up five minutes early, let me explain and show the problem, and after a look at the panel (which hadn't been checked in over 30 years!) he gave 2 possible diagnoses and an estimate for dealing with the more immediate, cheaper, and most likely issue. He tightened all the switches which stopped the surges but there were still brownouts if anything pulled heavily like toaster or microwave. After doing a couple tests of outlets in the house, He concluded it was a power company line problem (that had rattled my badly out-of-spec switches), and called APS for me. They were out in 20 minutes and his dx was right on target. All fixed, and the power is definitely more stable and stronger than it's been in years. I'm having John come back to replace all the old switches in a few weeks.

Description of Work
Sudden surges and brownouts throughout the house lasting all day on a Friday - called two companies with 24-hr service when I got home from work, and G. Brazil was there while the other went to voice mail. I had an after-hours/urgent appointment set within minutes for a few hours later, and was fully informed of the non-refundable $125 off-hours fee for the service call.

11/23/2016

Greta E.

I thought I had all the switches turned off for all of the electricity in that area of the house, but it was still smothering. It took them over 2 days to get here and it was during the holidays. So, we had extension cords running all over the house. Then they charged an incredible amount for changing an outlet. I expressed concern that this was a smothering outlet, this was a potential fire hazard. They said, well the people who take our calls aren?t really qualified to discern priority. I didn?t burn down, but I also didn?t leave the house either, didn?t go to zoo lights or anything. Just lived in panic making sure the house didn?t burn down. That was a real red flag for them to turf a burning electrical outlet for 48 hours. They fixed it, but it was a ridiculous amount of $200. Actually, they said they would have somebody there within 12 hours, then within 24, and turned out to be 48 hours. They kept stringing us along. We were just lucky that the whole house didn?t burn down, but we were exposed to the toxic melting of the wires and everything, the smothering outlet. It was scary! It should have been a propriety or sent out another company!

Description of Work
I called out George Brazil, I had a smothering outlet.

10/26/2016

Wes B.

They were reliable, they showed up when they said and they had the equipment when they came.

Description of Work
They installed a water system and diagnosed our leak.

02/24/2016

Marilyn L.

This was so obvious a way to get unsuspecting customers to do more than they need to do. I cut the cord while trimming my hedges and lost power in the plug. All I wanted fixed was the plug or the GFI that I may have tripped. This guy came out and the first thing he did was hand me an estimate for $3500.+, a second one for $2700.+ and a 3rd or $1700+. I stopped him and said no way and all I want done was the fix that needed to be done. He gave me a bid for $600+ for 3 GFI's and the circuit breaker he said was tripped. Now when this guy left I went around my home and made sure all the GFI's worked. He told me 1 didn't work, and 2 were bad and that the panel had tripped one circuit; which I knew wasn't true because I had already checked that yesterday when I cut the cord. There is nothing wrong with the panel.He had an electrical plug tester and when he put them in the circuit it lite up, so I knew something was going on. A GFI in the kitchen that I couldn't get to work yesterday works today after I pressed it harder and now my plug that I thought was shot is working also. He misidentified the one GFI for the plug I thought wasn't working. He knew this before he left but did not mention it to me and I know he knew because of his tester. In fact, everything is working. This is the first attempt at my using GB and am totally disgusted with their lack of professionalism. I am a 72 year old woman and feel I was or at least he try to take advantage of the situation. What he didn't know is when I was working I was a Director of Facilities and Construction. I sometimes try not to show contractor's what I know or don't know just to see if their honest. GW failed my test. Be on your toes if you intend to give GB a try.

Description of Work
He gave me 3 estimates.

02/21/2016

Dawn S.

The three men repaired the leak. I have not had to have similar work done before, so I don't know how to evaluate the overall quality of the work. The water leak was solved. However, there were several things that I did not like about how the workman did the work. I guess they thought they had me at a weak point, because they did a hard sell to get me to buy a premium plumbing inspection package that they claimed would qualify me for lower price on parts (I do not know whether they did in fact give me the lower price that they promised because the invoice was difficult to read. To do the bypass of the broken pipe, the workmen had to cut four holes in the drywall. The holes they cut seemed rougher (and thus more difficult and costly for me to get repaired) than would have been necessary. One hole needed to be cut in the drywall behind my almost new water heater. They pressured me into buying a new water heater, saying that it would cost the same to install a new water heater as to putting the existing water heater back after completing the bypass. I don't think that was actually true. During the two days that the men were working to bypass the broken pipe, a nice compact pump that I had to inflate my auto tires disappeared from the counter top where I had it stored near my back door. Also, to test that the bypass had solved the leak, one of the men poured water from a bottle he had been drinking out of into my water line. That was an unsanitary and I felt disrespectful act.

Description of Work
Located a leak in the slab of my home, capped the broken pipe, and ran a bypass hose in my attic.

09/10/2015

Victoria P.

I just thought they where over priced and I think they where in a hurry. I would not use them again and I would go with someone else. You know how you don't get a good feeling about someone. I felt that we got ripped off because other plumbers where doing the same service for about 65 dollars.

Description of Work
It was for our leaky toilet.

08/19/2015

George P.

After attempting to fix a slow leak from a bathroom sink valve ourselves, we contacted George Brazil Plumbing and Electric Tuesday night to properly seat our faucet and fix our own repair. We booked an appointment that evening for Wednesday afternoon and went to bed that night with the water off to prevent water damage from the leak. Promptly at 11:00 A.M. Wednesday, George Brazil contacted us and told us the serviceman would be arriving shortly. Later on we met an extremely personable plumber who was nothing if not professional and we asked for an estimate on our problem as well as a few other minor fixes in other rooms. We were shocked to hear that a single faucet and valve replacement was $600.00 plus parts and that another shower handle would add on $1300.00. We were in a tight spot and needed the work done so we agreed to 1 faucet and asked the man to use the valves we provided and the feeder hoses that came with our already purchased faucet replacement. He told us that he would prefer to use his own parts to allow for a 1 year warranty so each valve replacement was $100.00 and the faucet installation was $400.00. With tax and cost of labor it came to $675.00 after the $35.00 coupon from Angie's list. All in all, it was successful and we are pleased with the work but not the price. I highly suggest you look elsewhere for incidental repairs and replacements, and always buy your new faucets and fixtures from Home Depot or Costco and not the service truck. That alone would have added $300.00 to our already high bill.

Description of Work
Install 1 previously purchased faucet in bathroom with 2 new hot/cold valves.

05/12/2015

LARRY B.

I have them for annual maintenance twice a year. They have a good reputation. I know several people who use them so they seem to do just fine.

Description of Work
Heating & Air Conditioning. Yearly maintenance.

03/24/2015

Lawrence S.

THREE STRIKES AND OUT FOR GEORGE BRAZIL: Early in the cooling season of 2013, we called a no-name plumber to do an annual A/C checkup for the advertised $69.95. The guy came out, checked out my A/C and said I needed a new starter capacitor and it would be about $500 to install. Didn't trust his high pressure hard-sell and didn't want to make an on the spot quick decision, so we decided to wait and replace if it goes out later. The capacitor lasted all of 2013. In 2014, we called GEORGE BRAZIL. (Episode 1) They did the annual check and the technician said we needed the capacitor (which we thought maybe the first guy was right) but GEORGE BRAZIL was over $100 less than the first guy - so we had it done. We were happy (temporarily). In the fall, we called GEORGE BRAZIL (episode 2) to give us a heating season check up. At that time the technician noted we had starter problems and needed a repair at over $600 to replace a gas starter valve. (Natural gas furnace unit). He also recommended instead we get a new furnace unit which would pay for itself on energy savings. A couple days later, the technician and a marketing guy gave us a cost presentation. Since our house was only 8 years old we thought that spending $2,000 was out of the question. So we declined and so far everything has been working fine. In our third episode, we had two faucets that dripped. I called GEORGE BRAZIL replace the faucet washers expecting them to come out and do at most, an hours work to change 2 washers or o-rings. WRONG - A technician came out and explained that these newer DELTA faucets have cores which must be replaced to repair. The single handle kitchen faucet would be $339 and in the bathroom, he had to do both (because they come in pairs) for $309 each. My wife had him look at our toilet while he was here and he gave an estimate of $198.60 to replace the plunger and gasket. We even talked about a new water heater for nearly $1100. All in all I expected to pay a trip charge and an hour of labor and have 3 dripping faucets fixed. Instead, I got nothing fixed and a lot of VERY HIGH estimates for repairs. I have come to the conclusion that this is the Fox watching the Chicken Coop. Are these people really capable? I know they must he highly trained in sales techniques. The people are very likable and seem honest. I may be in my mid 70's but I am not on the last stages of dementia yet. These prices are ridiculous and now, after reading several of Angie's Comments, I regret not checking Angie's List sooner. Incidentally, the capacitor in my First episode can be purchased for as low as $99 installed. I have not confirmed what a gas start valve runs at other places BUT the furnace is still working as I write this. As for the faucets, I installed a entire NEW one in the kitchen for under$200 (because I didn't know what a core was) and the so called cores in the bathroom delta faucets were 6 for under $16. I have no drips right now but a lot of bad feelings about GEORGE BRAZIL.

Description of Work
Called to have them fix two faucet drips. They charged me the $39.95 trip charge, fixed nothing and just surveyed my "needs" and then gave OUTRAGEOUS price quotes. See the details below:

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, water heater repair

12/26/2014

Paula K.

I would not call this company again.

Description of Work
Called the company this morning to see about getting a plumbing problem fixed, was told that the company was so busy with clients under contract that he could not even projects a date that service could be done. I am not a contract customer.

09/22/2014

Harlene M.

As always, they were prompt, professional, and efficient. I would tell my friends to use George Brazil for their reliability and high quality of work. Everybody here may say that they are so expensive, but I don't have to have them come out 2 or 3 times to fix whatever they have to fix.

Description of Work
My dishwasher went on the blink and they got it done.

Category electrician

Thank you for your review! We appreciate it and look forward to working with you in the future when you need us next! Have a great day!